The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > The New Silmarillion > Translations from the Elvish - Public Forum
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-17-2003, 05:33 PM   #11
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Maédhros has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maédhros
Sting

Quote:
Originally posted by Aiwendil But if Maeglin had already given the information to the Orcs, how could he possibly believe that he could hide it from Morgoth? Surely the Orcs would tell him.
This is a logical conclusion, but the characters do not have to act logically in the story. I believe that you have pointed out that before.
Quote:
Originally posted by Aiwendil
In light of this and the possibility of removing the bulk of the episode, I am really very much tempted to delete the whole thing and replace it with a suitably ambiguous ToY-style statement that agrees fully with the ToY, allowing even for the possibility that Sauron was the captor.
Wow, I'm not really sure about this. Can you work up the text in our version to see how it stands before I make a judgement on this. I believe that we can do it just by simply removing the mention of Maeglin extra things to the Orcs, than doing some whole modification of the text, but I'm looking foward to seeing how you would deal with your suggestion.