Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-09-2002, 12:20 PM   #11
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

'Friend of mine?', stammered Holly, 'There stands the sick friend I was coming back to check on!'

'Well, it seems she's made an amazing recovery for one with such dire injuries.' His grey eyes fixed on the small figure holding the attention of the crowd, and watched admiringly as her slim fingers manipulated the shells.

The hobbit beside him gasped, 'Oh, no!' as as another player stepped forward to put his money on the leather. But this player had fortune's nod, and picked the shell under which the pea was hidden.

'What's the matter?', asked Vorondil, watching as the game went on.

'It's Olo,' said Holly. 'She's even suckered him into playing. I'm glad he didn't lose his coin!'

'Ah, but he was never meant to lose, and probably that coin was hers to start with.' replied the ranger, chuckling at the skill with which Holly's friend drew in and kept her audience.

Understanding dawned on Holly, and her eyes narrowed at Bird's use of the once straight-forward hobbit. 'Excuse me, if you will, Vorondil. I need to have a few words with Olo, before he falls any further under Bird's wiles!'

'A wise decision, my friend. She looks a dangerous woman to get to know if you don't have your wits about you.' He looked back at Bird, studying her closely. A feral light crept into his eyes, and he smiled slightly.

'My lady!' he called, striding quickly to the front of the crowd. He placed two silver pennies on the leather, and smiled innocently at her. 'I'd like to try my hand at this!'

[ August 09, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]