User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-10-2003, 03:29 PM   #11
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Frodo looked around, studying the old familiar curves and windows and doorways, the fireplaces, the furniture. A familiar sadness came over him, that Bilbo was no longer here to enjoy the place, that it just wasn't the same without him here.

"Mr. Frodo?"

"Excuse me, Sam, I'm sorry. Go on."

Sam continued his tale, even as Frodo remembered that Bilbo was only a short walk away. Indeed, he could come here. All could be, as it once was; better, in fact, for then Miz Rose the children weren't here.

Bilbo, Sam and Rose, and the children, all together with him in Bag End, all at once. His heart nearly broke with joy for the thought.

"Mr. Frodo? Why are you sad?" Elanor asked him. Sam was staring, too, and Sam had had enough pretense. "Now, Mr. Frodo, speak up. Tell me what's bothering you."

"Nothing is wrong, Sam. I was just thinking how pleasant it would be to have you-- all of you, and Bilbo, all together, here in Bag End, all of us home again, and together... together at last."

Sam studied him. "I'd like that, Mr. Frodo."

"Oh, so would I, Sam. I should like that very much."

"Well, should we go and get him in the wagon? " Sam stirred as if to get up.

"No, not now, Sam; Bilbo was wanting some quiet, and very nearly threw me out of the Inn to get it. But I'll suggest the idea to him, if you're sure that you wouldn't mind, " Frodo said, pleading with his eyes.

Sam snorted. "Mind! Ninnyhammers and noodles, how could I mind! Mr. Frodo, I'd be delighted!"

"Sam." Frodo sighed contentedly, and Elanor studied him.

So Mr. Frodo really was fond of her dad; she could see it clearly now, and she approved.

Her eyes strayed to Frodo's right hand. She studied where his finger had been bitten off, and thought about her dad's struggle to get Frodo all the way to the Sammath Naur, and Frodo's final temptation, and his failure. She wondered why he had failed, then, at the end, when he was so close to succeeding. She wanted to ask him why he had given in. But she waited, looking back up at his eyes.

His gaze was fixed out the window. She followed his gaze, leaning a little. He was staring at The Green Dragon Inn.

Sam met her eyes, and settled her with a small movement of his hand, and waited. Eventually Frodo stirred, and glanced up at Sam. "It's good to see you, Sam, " he said. "It's good to see your children. Elanor is becoming quite a little lady."

Her eyes went wide.

"You'll give her airs, Mr. Frodo, " Sam cautioned, and Elanor bowed her head. The conversation turned to other things. She waited and listened, wondering what Mr. Frodo saw in her that made him call her a little lady. But she sat a little taller after that.

[ March 11, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]

[ March 14, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]