The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-19-2000, 04:39 AM   #1
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Ring What about Middle-Earth/Valinor most inspires you?

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wight
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
And as a part -Where {and when or with whom} in Middle-Earth would you go if you could? {Let's leave Valinor out just to keep it a bit more challenging.}

If you spend no small part of your 'free' waking hours here and other such places- what is it that most draws and inspires you to Tolkien's Legendarium?
For me initially it was the Elves - a race that [at the age of 13] seemed to be everything that suburban 70's people were not!
I was spell-bound by their mastery in so much that they did, their since of quality [witness the food Gildor and co. give to the 3 hobbits in the shire and the silver / blue lamps from valinor, the flets of lorien [not to mention the whole city!]
their whole manner of bearing and reclusiveness [but not totally] from mortals.
With this I would add the !st age Edain {Tuor ,Beren etc.} and the Dunedain [esp. of Arnor]
they absorbed [by choice} as much of Eldarin culture as they could and strove to live righteously
and virtuously -often at great cost to themselves-although they like the Elves sometimes fail.
I also loved the deep representation of the elemental archetypes
the Fiery Noldor, the Airy Vanyar ,
the Watery Teleri, the Earthy{or to use the chimese 5 elements I would say} Metallic Dwarves and Earthy Hobbits,
and the {using Chinese 5 elements again} the Woody Green and Silvan Elves- all with there languages , personalities and choices and manner of dwelling that reflect their essence.
As to where / whom
I would love to accompany [as the least of retainers!] Galadriel and Celeborn on their 2nd and early3rd age journeys to virtually every interesting community in M.E. [mentioned in Unfinished Tales] - but being the Airy/woody type that I am I can't resist Lothlorien as a place to land and to absorb as much as possible {rope and flet making,smithying, small-boat building not to mention singing.
Close runner's up would be early and late 3rd
age Arnor/Eriador-seeing just how intimate their relations w/ high- elves was and seeing Annuminas the city of Elendil or [late 3rd age]
travelling w/ the rangers and seeing their 'hidden fastness' somewhere in Eriador [presumably within old Arthedain].

Ah well, Ihope you have as much fun and insight into yourself with this as I did.

</p>
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote