Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-26-2004, 09:35 PM   #11
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
*whew* Just reading your posts tires me out, Durelin. Where do you possibly find the time?

As always, many interesting points that a) intrigue me and b) promise to make the game fun.

OK, first, I simply have to make a point about Galadriel and the Ring and temptation (and then I swear I will shut up about this -- in this thread at least). The temptation of Galadriel by the Ring is real and a very near thing in the book just as in the film -- in fact, I would argue that the temptation is even 'worse' for the book-Galadriel than for the movie-Galadriel inasmuch as b-Gal is more overtly 'aware' of what the destruction of the One will mean to her own power in Middle-Earth and for Lorien. In both book and movie, at any rate, she admits that "I do not dey that my heart has greatly desired to ask what you offer. For many long years I had pondered what I might do, should the Great Ring come into my hands", which makes perfect sense since she came to Middle-Earth with Feanor not to recover the Silmarils ("No oaths she swore") but because "she yearned to see the wide unguarded lands and to rule there a realm at her own will".

The only other beings who left the West for Middle-Earth to do that were Morgoth and Sauron! Galadriel is a VERY dangerous person, and the trial she faced when Frodo offered her the Ring was the most significant threat to the Quest (I believe).

But enough of this. . .on to my (beloved) Houseless.

I'm glad that this idea has a chance of staying in the game, but I realise that the conversation about it has a) been somewhat too vaguely defined and b) begun to derail planning the other elements. In order to give this some kind of context then, with the hopes of moving past it to other topics, these were the ideas I had for this thread:

The host is an extremely powerful and ancient Elf: one of Celeborn's longest serving retainers from out of Doriath. He is proud and 'fey': he has little respect for Men, save, perhaps Aragorn, and none for the other peoples of Middle-Earth. The only thing that keeps him from taking a ship into the West is his loyalty to Celeborn and his respectful love, bordering on adoration, for the Lady Galadriel. He is in command of the border patrol that is attacked by orcs. In and amongst this attack, the Houseless fea of his brother comes to him to plead for admission. His brother was killed by a balrog in the Nirnaeth Arnoediad so even though the host is well aware of the dangers, he is unable to say no. At first, the 'merger' is a happy one as the Houseless is able to convince the host that his presence will allow them to travel with the orcs to Dol Guldur where they can see what preparations are being made against Lorien. But slowly the Houseless gains more and more control and it is only by the greatest act of will, and with the aid of his companions from Lorien who have followed him, that the host escapes.

The Houseless then flees into the body of an Easterling (gotta love them) and the host takes it as his duty to slay the Easterling host so that he can 'free' his brother's fea. He hopes that there is something Galadriel will be able to do to give his brother peace, at long last.

At any event -- is this the kind of idea that you are happy with Durelin? And, Pio -- is this within the parameters of what you were thinking of? And, would it be poor form for me to ask -- nay, beg -- that I be considered for this part, should it end up being included in the game?