The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books > Chapter-by-Chapter
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-17-2004, 02:43 PM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Leaf LotR -- Book 2 - Chapter 06 - Lothlórien

At the beginning of this chapter, we still follow the Fellowship within the realm of the Dwarves, seeing Durin’s Stone and Mirrormere. Danger is not yet over, so they must hasten their steps. Frodo’s mithril shirt is revealed, and he hears (and later sees) traces of Gollum throughout the journey. Boromir again shows his stubbornness in protesting against their entering Lothlórien, and it is certainly no chance (as far as the storytelling goes) that Aragorn’s comment on the peril that one brings with one’s self into that land is spoken to Boromir – a premonition?

With the crossing of the Nimrodel, the Fellowship enters Lothlórien. Here the story takes a turn; though there is still action, the language becomes more poetic. Legolas has his opportunity to shine here, being the one who is connected with the Elves, has some knowledge of Lothlórien, recites the poem of Nimrodel – and touches upon the old enmity between Dwarves and Elves, which flares up later with the blindfolding issue. He is responsible for the successful “first contact” with the Lothlórien Elves, since they heard him speaking and recognized him as one of their kin.

There are some “magical” things mentioned in this chapter – Nimrodel is said to have healing powers, and the Elven rope glimmers in the dark.

Haldir is introduced, and he has much to say in these passages, many very poetic utterances. Frodo is shown to be especially affected by the atmosphere in the woods of Lothlórien. As the chapter ends at Cerin Amroth, he (and through his eyes, we) gets a glimpse of the inside and outside world in contrast. And we get another very brief look into Aragorn’s heart, as he remembers Arwen here.

There are so many quotable sentences in this chapter – what are your favorite parts, and what is important in the development of the story?

I find Aragorn’s words at the beginning of the chapter very significant, foreshadowing Sam’s later experience:
Quote:
What hope have we without you? [i.e. Gandalf] We must do without hope.
And one sentence that cracks me up every time I read it is Sam’s reaction after Legolas has told them that they “breathe so loud that they could shoot you in the dark”:
Quote:
…behind [climbing the tree] came Sam trying not to breathe loudly.
I find that hilarious!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote