The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-18-2004, 10:32 AM   #1
Aldarion Elf-Friend
Animated Skeleton

Aldarion Elf-Friend has just left Hobbiton.
Best Movie Setting

There are many and varying opinions about the many story changes made for the screenplay by PJ and his fellow writers. There have been great threads about the most egregious of these.

However, one thing that many people agree PJ did very well was capture the flavor of the book's locations very well. I'm curious, how do people here respond to the sets and set pieces that PJ used in the movie. I'll kick it off with a few of my favorites.

First, I thought that the Shire and Bag-End were right on. PJ really captured the idyllic country life of the Shire. Maybe Hobbiton was a little more sparse than a community should be, but maybe we only saw the "suburbs". Anyway, what I saw on the screen is just what I imagined in my head.

Moria, and especially the bridge of Khazad-Dum were also very well done. He really captured the feel of an underground kingdom hewn out of the very stone.

Lastly, Minas Tirith took my breath away the first time Gandalf comes over the hill on Shadowfax.

A little trivia - that's not the first time that Minas Tirith appears in the movies. In the Two Towers EE (maybe the theatrical release, but I'm not sure) there is a scene in Osgiliath where, if you look closely, you can see Minas Tirith wayyyyyy off in the distance.

So, thoughts, anyone?

p.s. - I didn't care for Lorien...