The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books > Chapter-by-Chapter
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-27-2005, 11:57 AM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
White Tree LotR --- Appendix A: I, (i) - (iii) -- Númenor - Heirs of Isildur

Were you one of the readers who, like me, was disappointed that the story of LotR was over halfway through the RotK volume? Or did you jump into the Appendices and enjoy getting additional information there? It will be interesting to see how many people take enough interest to participate in the discussions of the Appendices.

Appendix A is a mini-Silmarillion, and for the first generation or so of readers, it was the only one they had. It tells the stories of Elves and Men in the First and Second Age, into the Third Age as well, giving vital background information that was not included in the actual story of the LotR. Perhaps Tolkien saw this as his chance to get at least the bare bones of his Legendarium published! However, there's not enough space for more than the basic facts.

Are there parts of these passages that are important to you, or has the Silmarillion superceded them? One line about the Númenoreans jumped out at me upon rereading:
Quote:
...their years lessened as their fear of death grew...
Self-fulfilling prophecy?!

We have many names listed; that may be useful for research, if someone is writing a fan fiction or RPG, but do you skip them when reading? Geography is also an important part of this Appendix, with borders of kingdoms and lands being described.

We have brief stories about the Witch-King of Angmar, the Dúnedain, and Celebrian, among others. Any comments?

I hope this introduction is enough to spark a good discussion; these are not my favourite parts of the book, so I do beg your pardon if my own comments lack some of the enthusiasm I had during the story proper!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote