The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books > Chapter-by-Chapter
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-26-2006, 05:02 AM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Leaf The Hobbit - Chapter 03 - A Short Rest

A short chapter! One of the shortest in the book – the narrator’s lines sound almost programmatic:
Quote:
...things that are good... are soon told about...
No danger in this chapter, and only a bit of suspense in finding Rivendell, yet the fact that it introduces us to Tolkien’s Elves makes it memorable. The landscape is described with a good deal of detail. Does the fact that the road is marked with white stones remind you of the fairy tale of Hansel and Gretel?

What do Elves smell like? Bilbo’s remark makes me wonder. We do find out how they rhyme – with a lot of nonsense! There have been past discussions on how to reconcile “Tra-la-la-lally” with “The Lay of Leithian”; this is your opportunity to share your opinions. We see them laughing – a huge contrast to the melancholy Elves of the Legendarium.

I have chosen Rivendell when asked which is my favourite place in Middle-earth, and this chapter is the source. Who could resist a place like this?
Quote:
His [Elrond’s] house was perfect, whether you liked food, or sleep, or work, or story-telling, or singing, or just sitting and thinking best, or a pleasant mixture of them all.

All of them... grew refreshed and strong in a few days there. Their clothes were mended as well as their bruises, their tempers and their hopes.
I find it interesting that Elrond was able to read the runes on the swords, but Gandalf apparently not. The same applies to the moon letters on the dwarven map. The description of Elrond is wonderful:
Quote:
He was as noble and as fair in face as an elf-lord, as strong as a warrior, as wise as a wizard, as venerable as a king of dwarves, and as kind as summer.
Is this the same Elrond we see in the LotR movies?!

I recall a fairly recent thread on the exact timing of Durin’s Day. This chapter gives us the information. It then ends with their departure from Rivendell.

My favourite quote (one I know by heart) is definitely this one:
Quote:
Now it is a strange thing, but things that are good to have and days that are good to spend are soon told about, and not much to listen to; while things that are uncomfortable, palpitating, and even gruesome, may make a good tale, and take a deal of telling anyway.
Isn’t it true?! I often think that in real life situations.

Which parts of the chapter interest you most? Which information do you think important?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote