The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-23-2006, 03:08 AM   #11
tar-ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

tar-ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
tar-ancalime - Flip-flops come to mind.
You know, I don't mind being under a bit of suspicion, but this accusation in particular really rankles. It has been used against me before (in...other villages, also in relation to Day 1 activities).

I think that the people accusing me of...wearing a particular type of sandal...have two things in mind from yesterday:

First, my call for a moratorium on Seer talk. After it was suggested (by Lhuna, I think) that what I really wanted was to suspect anyone who talked about the Seer, I clarified my position: I didn't want to set up a litmus test; I actually don't think talking about the Seer is suspicious; I just think it's counterproductive. That would be the reason for the moratorium: to focus on catching wolves, instead of on other issues. I thought my second post made that clear.

Second, my (admittedly tart) critique of dancing spawn's post. As others have noted, sometimes these "helpful summaries" are nothing but smokescreens for wolves. It's very easy to compile data, write a very long post, and seem to have contributed without actually adding anything new. Having used this tactic myself as a wolf, I was suspicious of dancing spawn's post and I attacked it to see what she would do. Her calm response that she had done it largely to gather her own thoughts (she didn't ignore me, nor did she get defensive), added to the fact that no one else seemed to have a problem with her post, led me to relax my stance. The original post had to be argumentative--how else could I judge the response to it? Leaving out the venom would have guaranteed I'd be ignored.

So please, suspect me all you want--like lmp, I welcome it--but this particular suspicion I don't understand. Especially since in the same post in which she accuses me of flip-flopping, Lhuna writes this:

Quote:
Of course my position entitles me to a change of mind - a privilege which I might use in a little while, when I've recovered from information overload
Now I know that a princess has certain privileges an ex-leper could never imagine, but I'd like to think I'm just as entitled to change my mind about dancing spawn as she is about anyone else.