The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-29-2001, 02:13 AM   #11
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Mithadan, well done in shutting this down for a while.

It's still pretty nasty in here guys. I personally am enchanted with the intensity of Sam and Frodo's relationship and would like to feel free to explore all possible ramifications, without anyone freaking out. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Some of you may not be aware you are flaming. Here are some clues:

[img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] When you must name a particular poster to criticize them, either by saying they have a dirty mind, or by calling them a homophobe, that is is a flame. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

[img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] When you make broad generalized statements about your personal negative views regarding women, blacks, jews, queers, etc., (whether citing valid evidence from the bible, or historical records of black 'breeding programs,' or Mein Kampf) that is a flame. It's also off-topic. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

In any discussion everyone must agree on the appropriate source material. Here all the writings of JRR Tolkien are considered the sources. Other sources can be considered, but these are the ones we agree on (I imagine..).

In other words, if one person says the world is flat, and the other says it's square, and they cite different sources, you can hammer at eachother all day but you won't get anywhere. It's a basic rule of debate. You have to speak the same language.

I have refrained from quoting off-topic sources for this reason. The bible may or may not condemn homosexuality, Mein Kampf may have some interesting points to add to the discussion, or the Bodhicharyavatara, but unless everyone agrees that they're valid sources for interpretation, it is irrelevant.