The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-25-2010, 10:24 AM   #1
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Lost in some mountains

Anyone want to try his or her hand at the meaning of (Galadriel speaking)...

'... and I have dwelt with him years uncounted; for ere the fall of Nargothrond or Gondolin I passed over the mountains, and together through ages of the world we have fought the long defeat.' (The Lord of the Rings) -- considering that Celeborn is ultimately Sindarin (not Nandorin), and that according to another Tolkien-published account:

'After the overthrow of Morgoth at the end of the First Age a ban was set upon her return, and she had replied proudly that she had no wish to do so. She passed over the Mountains of Eredluin with her husband Celeborn (one of the Sindar) and went to Eregion.' JRRT, RGEO

Or do people think these two statements are not problematic in the first place. I do

I'm aware that Tolkien changed his mind about the history of these two characters, but since he published both descriptions, and since he never revised the passage from The Lord of the Rings, I'm wondering how people attempt to merge the two into one internal tale. If people do... that is.

I've an attempt of my own, but before I offer it here for possible rending and tearing, I wonder what others might come up with.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote