The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-24-2011, 12:47 PM   #12
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quarterfinals at Amon Sûl

Angband vs. Eregion

The day emerged warm but still crispy – like it could be only in the northern mountains ranges. “The Village”, west of the stadium, that had emerged for the high numbers of ordinary human tourists and local fans willing to attend the quarterfinals was busy from the early morning hours on – and that was early as the sun rose already around 3.30AM. The elves of Lothlórien and Rivendell had set up a joint camp south of Weathertop inviting all the elves from other realms to join them, while the Angband supporters were shown the fields north-east of the hills for camping. The players and their more high-brow supporters and all the starring guests had accommodation at the splendid new Norbury High hotel where they would be driven to the stadium with carts in the afternoon.

But “the Village” was the focal point for those attending the games; the place where all the vendors came to sell their exotic foods, Arda Cup related merchandise (mostly pirated), handcraft, sweets… and all the non-profit organizations had their stands there. Amnesty Interardan did especially draw a lot of folks around them, many of them signing the petition of “No more games in Valinor” –list. And all the performers: musicians, jugglers, live-statues, comedians, theatre groups, fortune-tellers, acrobats, dancers, prophets, gamblers, pick-pockets, tramps, hobos, hookers… all there to pick the pocket or the mind of the football tourists all around Arda, fairly or unfairly, but just to make a living.

~*~

The pre-games press conference was held at mid-day at the slopes of Weathertop where a theater-like stand had been constructed for such events – and to any theatrical performances after the games. All the captains praised the pitch and the stands, and the overall fluency of the organizations. And it was also predictable the captains made the normal mumbo-jumbo about the games ahead.

Let’s get the baseline…

Melkor of Angband: Elrond is a tough goalie to be the youngster he is, but we will prevail in the end with our experience and stamina. And it takes more than one Glorfindel to score against us, he should remember as he has met my Balrogs earlier.

Elrond of Eregion: I know Melkor talks tough but he has been defeated many times in history – and I’m confident we’ll be ones to add to that list today – even if we can’t send him anywhere in chains after we shut them down.

Manwë of Pelori: We appreciate Galadriel and many of her host, but Fëanor will never champion against a team led by me. Rest assured of that. A ban is a ban.

Galadriel of Lothlórien: We have a competitive team this year and Fëanor is not the only one who knows how to score for us. You media-guys over-estimate him – and you Manwë. We play our game, we, and then we’ll see who laughs in the end…

~*~

It's Psychology, stupid!

The first match between Angband and Eregion was about to start and the Weathertop Arena was full to the last bench. Just before the teams entered the pitch The Witch King came out from his private luxury-balcony from on top of the new tower of the Fortress Hill, one of the most luxurious of them all, and waved to the Angband crowds just beneath him on the north-east side of the stadium. The band of orcs, balrogs and other creatures of darkness cheered to him looking quite comfortable from that section of the stand – and many people realized only now that the north-eastern quarter of the stadium was a bit different than the rest of the venue; there were no benches to sit down, the steps were more rugged – as to “reflect the original mountainside” the leaflet introducing the stadium no-one had read said – and the sun was not shining there even if it was an afternoon match because of the new modernistic tower on top of the Fortress Hill cast a steady shadow over it.

But then the teams emerged from the tube beneath the pitch and the whole stadium went crying out aloud to cheer for their favourites. During the opening handshakes the racket was so loud no one heard the announcers’ introductions to the game. Some people thought they caught The Witch King to cheer quite loudly for Elrond as well when he was introduced. Odd or not, who knows?

The name of the game became obvious after the few testing minutes to start the game. Eregion played actively from defense looking for chances to make fast counters and Angband spread evenly across the field trying to avoid packing their players in a lump and looking to cut off any long balls forwards Eregion might try out. Supported by the majority of the crowd Eregion was really trying to make a game.

Anytime they had a chance, Elladan and Elrohir did their best to open runs for Glorfindel and Eärendil but the Balrogs, Morgoth and the Great Werewolf of Angband managed to cut the runs – forcing the Eregion forwards off the ball or to shoot it wide if they got it. Ungoliant was having an easy game even if it looked like Eregion was the more active team. And yes, that is true. To the growing astonishment of all the crowds Angband played it cool and almost passive the first half an hour with no hurry to go on offence, just cutting the Eregion attacks and laying low letting Eregion do the running.

But suddenly they just changed gear. Eregion’s defenses were totally taken by surprise by Angband becoming serious in the offence just out of the blue – and for a moment it seemed there was nothing to do for team Eregion but to hope Elrond would save them. And he did!

Shots were raining down on Elrond – and he denied them!

Ancalagon shot it towards the upper left corner from thirty meters but Elrond tipped it away with his fingers at the last moment.

Thuringwethil sent Tevildo free from the right corner of the box but the one-timer went just inches past the right pole of the goal.

Tilion got into one on one with Elrond but the linesman called it off-side.

Morgoth gave a free kick from 25 meters and hit the crossbar – from the rebound Tevildo headed the Ball to the lower corner of the goal… just for Elrond to deny him!

The teams went into the half-time with 0-0. The crowds were nervous but also excited about the game turning into a classic under their very eyes. The men and elves were anxious about the strong show team Angband made the last fifteen minutes of the first half, and the coolness of the Angband team; the feeling that they hadn’t really tried their best thus far just send shivers to the fans of Eregion who made the majority of the crowd.

As anticipated, the second half was more lively than the first as it seemed the courtesies had been paid and the opponent had been checked – and now both teams went for it in earnest. At the early stages of the half Eärendil shot a nice volley forcing Ungoliant to a parade-save – only to be countered by Tilion hammering a shot just past the post as Asfaloth had it’s hoof to meddle with the shot. But the Eregion team were forced to defend more and more by the minute as Angband was just forcing it their way. Glorfindel was calling for passes but Balrogs #1 and #2 kept him away from any coming his way totally frustrating him – and making him look smaller and insecurer minute by minute.

And when Angband really started rolling their attacks forwards, Eregion players seemed to be a step behind more often than not – and that resulted in some card-taking from late tackles: both Elrohir and Eärendil took yellow cards, the latter one causing a free kick from about thirty meters for gripping the wing of Thuringwethil when she was about to receive a pass from Morgoth. To their luck the tremendous shot from the free-kick by Tevildo went just over the crossbar as Elrond would have had no chance to stop it.

And little by little the chances for any counter-attacks by Eregion died down as Angband pressed ever more fiercely. And finally Ancalagon beat the ball in from a nice pass by Thuringwethil. It was a classic “twist of the tail” shot that left Elrond armless against it.

There were still twenty minutes to go and Eregion threw in all they had to gain an equalizer, but Angband introduced their pressure-defense basically disarming Eregion from all the weapons they might have. Angband cut away all the offensive passes, they cut away all the lines of passing by fast movement as well, they cut away the forwards from receiving the ball and pressed on anyone trying to bring the ball upwards in the first place.

At the last moments Glorfindel made a run sneaking off from the pressure of the midfielders and got the pass from Eärendil to speed his way. And he was just reaching the box when he heard a Balrog yelling at him “Eagle’s cleft!” from behind – for a wink of an eye he was baffled, and before he could react again the great beast was on him and they both rolled down to the ground. The referee judged the Balrog had touched the ball first before hitting Glorfindel and it was a goal kick to Angband.

Glorfindel’s runs were much more timid after that incident and Eärendil was just too closely watched by Morgoth watching he wouldn't escape him this time. So there pretty little for Eregion to do any counterplay: Angband’s midfield and defenses were simply overpowering them. And so it was that Angband won, 1-0, after a really strong performance.

There was no question about which team dominated the field and many elves and men gave the Angband-team their due respects when they went on cheering around the pitch for their victory. Eregion offense only managed three shots towards Ungoliant under the formidable pressure of Angband defenses – and against such a quality keeper that was just too little – and most people in the audience realized that. Eregion had been just shut out, ironically that had been the way they themselves had marched to reach this stage of the tournament.

~*~

After the game the AKM met two celebrities having a chat with champagne and oysters in the Fortress Hill Tower’s lofty upper lobby.

The AKM: So what did you think about the game?

The Witch King: Well, the right team won. And please note, because they defended better.

Gil-Galad: It must be sadly accepted that it was also the better team that won. Even my younger nephew and great friend can’t do it quite alone.

The Witch King: Agreed. Elrond played marvelously yet again. If he’d be keeping the goal behind a stronger team he could be a title-winning goalie.

The AKM: Could I ask what brought you here to see the quarterfinals?

Gil-Galad: Did you know I met Elendil here back then, and then we marched to Mordor for the Last Alliance… oh, those were the days. So it was quite simple: I wished to pay my homage to this place which will always have a special place in my heart.

The Witch King: I have some strong memories relating to this place as well. It was here we were actually nearest to destroy Mithrandir’s plan… you know I have pondered many times if I’d be given a new chance to perform better here at Amon Sûl, could I find that little extra to make it? It was so close we got the most sought after prize there is… but alas we failed then.

The AKM: Would you be willing to reflect on your own tournament this year, or even sharing some of your plan s for AC12?

Gil-Galad: It was a spiritless performance we gave this year, quite tame. I think some changing of climate would be welcome for the next season. Deciding to play in Mordor two years ago was a fresh idea but it wasn’t that any more this year.

The Witch King: Couldn’t agree more. I just felt the whole tournament that I couldn’t find that spark to light my game and am seriously planning to do something radically different the next season, actually I have invested quite a lot for it already, but let’s come back to the details when the plans get further.

Gil-Galad: Hey, we should form a team for next year called “The Lifeless Forwards”!

The Witch King: Hehe.

~*~

Team Angband had made it plain they were not going to tolerate any journalists hanging outside their lockers after the game, but happily our reporter caught two shower-fresh players from team Eregion as they were exiting.

The AKM: So, how do you feel?

Elrond: What do you think?

Glorfindel: Losing never feels right, but I do think I have myself partly to blame. I was just not playing at my level.

Elrond: Oh, don’t blame yourself. I mean looking at your history it must have been quite agonizing to try and make play in between that special guard by the balrogs. Must have kindled dark memories…

Glorfindel: I thought before the game it wouldn’t affect my game, but maybe it did. Had I just scored, I had a chance!

Elrond: You could as well say that if I hadn’t let that tail-twist shot by Ancalagon in we’d have a different situation… So let’s not dwell on that.

The AKM: What would be the positive thoughts from you at the moment then?

Glorfindel: Well you know, even in defeat it was a real pleasure to play here. With all our involvement in something you could call Eriador at large, this must be the closest to being like a second home to us.

Elrond: We built the great stadium down to Rivendell two years ago, but this was as close one could get to playing at a home-venue. Real treat.

Glorfindel: We just need to make it better the next year.

The AKM: Before I’ll let you go, just your quick predictions for the final-match?

Elrond: Doriath wins Pelori 2-1.

Glorfindel: Angband wins Tol-In-Gaurhoth in a penalty shoot out.

Angband 1-0 Eregion
tot shots 17-13
on target 7-3
GOALS:
*71, 1-0 Ancalagon (Thuringwethil)
YELLOW CARDS:
*Angband- Morgoth, Balrog #1
*Eregion- Asfaloth, Figwit, Elrohir, Earendil
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote