The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books > Chapter-by-Chapter
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-19-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril Unfinished Tales - Part Four - I - The Drúedain

In this chapter we read not only interesting information on a race of people of Middle-earth that plays only a minor part on LotR, but also one of Tolkien's most fascinating short stories, "The Faithful Stone".

Tolkien begins his description with something typical for him - language. It appears to be the main factor that separates the Folk of Haleth from others. Another difference is the role of women - Haleth herself is called an "Amazon", and her bodyguards are female.

However, these are not the primary subject of this chapter, but a people even more different than they, though living in close proximity. The drûg, or Drúedain, are an exception to Tolkien's usual convention that looks = character. They are not lovely, but are good. Their appearance is described in great detail, and their character has a certain innocence, like that of children. Their contagious laughter is a sound I would like to hear!

Their seemingly primitive society made them a target for those who thought them to be no better than animals. Yet we read that they had superior skills in tracking and were also artists. Their ability to carve figures and apparently imbue them with a kind of power provides the background for the story.

Before we go into that one, there is a brief anecdote which shows another ability of the Drúedain, that to be very still, and which ends with a humorous comment. I like that!

The watch-stone of Aghan is imbued with some of his powers. Would you say there is magic of some kind involved? The final sentence is absolutely fascinating:
Quote:
Alas! If some power passes from you to a thing that you have made, then you must take a share in its hurts.
That reminds me of the One Ring! Christopher Tolkien also mentions that in one of the notes.

Which aspect of the Drúedain do you find most interesting? What do you think of the various names for them? What is your opinion on the short story?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote