The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-04-2003, 02:26 PM   #1
aragornreborn
Wight

aragornreborn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting When Did Aragorn Give the Pendant Back?

This has been bothering me. He's obviously in Rivendell, but in the special edition Fellowship of the Ring you don't notice him behaving any differently towards Arwen at any point in time. They reaffirm their love for eachother at the bridge; and then the next time you see them, Aragorn smiles at her when he leaves Rivendell. Then while talking with Galadriel, Aragorn keeps up the "we will get married, so there" line. But in The Two Towers they flashback to a time when Aragorn wants Arwen to go into the West and tells her that it was all a dream. He certainly doesn't act like that at all in FOTR so when does he do it?<p>[ January 04, 2003: Message edited by: aragornreborn ]
At the name of Jesus every knee should bow and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. - Phil. 2:10-11
aragornreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 02:34 PM   #2
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

eleanor_niphredil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

He is in Rivendell, just before they leave, as he is all done up with weapons and stuff. He still loves her, even if he did try to give her back her pendant. They where meant for each other, and love like that cannot die so easily.Perhaps, deep in his heart, he would always love her no matter what, and that is what comes out in Lothlorien.<P>On the other hand, maybe he only did it because he was scared silly of Elrond. Perhaps he respected his wishes, as he knew him as a father. But in Lothlorien, when Elrond is not there and his troubles are fogotten for a while, his true love shows through.<P>How soppy does that sound?<p>[ January 04, 2003: Message edited by: eleanor_niphredil ]
Old 01-04-2003, 02:36 PM   #3
the mortal elf
Wight

the mortal elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to the mortal elf
Tolkien

This confused me, too. He tried to give her back the pendant right before the fellowship left (she's wearing the same dress and you can see the courtyard in the background). When they're talking on the bridge, that's obviously before he leaves, so there's no tension. When they're kissing etc. on the balcony, that's before he left and there's still no tension. The smile confused me, but my mom tried to explain it. I thought it was a 'don't worry, I'm coming back.' smile, and my mom thinks it's a 'goodbye' smile. When he's talking to Galadriel, he in no way says "we're getting married, so there" he says (in elvish) "I would have her take the ship to Valinor." Oh well. None of this would be confusing if PJ had stuck to the book, but it does make for a more interesting storyline, as you don't know what's going to happen next .
Old 01-04-2003, 02:42 PM   #4
dunedain_aragorn
Animated Skeleton

dunedain_aragorn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

elrond told him to not marry arwen. aragorn understands that elrond wants her to live forever, and he justs wants her to be happy. so he gives it back, hoping she will go to the grey havens
"I must take leave, I have not slept since Dunnharrow, and I am weary."said Aragorn. Merry seized his hand and kissed it."I am frightfully sorry, we have been a nuisance to you since Bree." Aragorn laughed and left them. "Was there ever any like him?" said Pippin,"Except for Gandalf of course. I believe they must be related."
dunedain_aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 03:19 PM   #5
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

PJ does things like this purely to make us discuss it in forums like this. Otherwise, the film wouldnt have the depth that the book had.
Old 01-04-2003, 04:03 PM   #6
aragornreborn
Wight

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> When he's talking to Galadriel, he in no way says "we're getting married, so there" he says (in elvish) "I would have her take the ship to Valinor." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I know he doesn't use those words, but that's what he means. Otherwise, Galadriel wouldn't have sharply replied, "that choice is yet before her." Makes it sound like they both think she's staying or at least leaning towards staying. But from the TTT flashbacks, everyone thinks Arwen is leaving.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> elrond told him to not marry arwen. aragorn understands that elrond wants her to live forever, and he justs wants her to be happy. so he gives it back, hoping she will go to the grey havens <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That makes sense. But Arwen has said a million times that she wants to be with Aragorn. And I think Aragorn has accepted that and is happy, but.. do you want to hear my conspiracy theory? Well, you're going to anyway. <P>I think PJ and crew completely messed it up. This in no way resembles Aragorn. He loves her. She loves him. They are both fine with the fact that she is giving up her immortality. So, something must have happened to make Aragorn think that it would be better if Arwen went into the West. I don't think just Elrond talking to him could have done it. This never happened in the book, so why did PJ put it in? To make it more exciting and uncertain. Aragorn's behavior in FOTR indicates that he has hope both for Middle Earth and for his future with Arwen. I think that PJ wanted to show that Aragorn was losing hope in both the future of Middle Earth and his future with Arwen in TTT. So he adds these flashbacks. In TTT, Aragorn thinks Middle Earth doesn't have much hope. He wants to save Arwen from living (not for long) in a world ruled by Sauron. So PJ has him give back the pendant and try to send her away. I know that that doesn't fit with the timeline, but never let it be said that a director would let such trivial things like plot and accuracy get in the way of an "exciting" movie.<P>In summary of that very confusing paragraph, I believe that the only logical time period during which Aragorn would have given back the pendant was when he was depressed in TTT. While this theory fits great (in my opinion) with his character and actions, it also goes against the laws of time and place. But to me (and maybe PJ), it's a greater sin to ruin someone's character than to break a few laws of physics.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> PJ does things like this purely to make us discuss it in forums like this. Otherwise, the film wouldnt have the depth that the book had. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>lol. I hope he enjoys driving me crazy. Do I believe in Aragorn's character or physics? No contest. Aragorn wins.
At the name of Jesus every knee should bow and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. - Phil. 2:10-11
Old 01-04-2003, 04:10 PM   #7
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> lol. I hope he enjoys driving me crazy. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You just know he is sitting at his computer right now, laughing an evil laugh and rubbing his hands together, watching us poor confused people desperatly struggling to understand his film.<P>back to the subject at hand, I totaly agree that someones character is something that it is a sin to tamper with (unless they are bad guys, they can suffer)<p>[ January 04, 2003: Message edited by: eleanor_niphredil ]
Old 01-04-2003, 06:43 PM   #8
aragornreborn
Wight

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> back to the subject at hand, I totaly agree that someones character is something that it is a sin to tamper with (unless they are bad guys, they can suffer) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Oh yes, which is why PJ deserves death for ruining Faramir and messing with Theoden.<P>Deserves death! I daresay he does. There are many who live that deserve death and many have died who deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment.<P>I've been rebuked by a paraphrasing Gandalf. So sorry.<P>Hear I am, I started this thread and I'm getting off track.<P>I hope I don't get rebuked by a moderator (paraphrasing or not).<P>Anyway, I guess the final thing I have to say is that to uphold Aragorn's character, I must assume that Peter Jackson is a magician who can change physics to suit his every whim.<p>[ January 04, 2003: Message edited by: aragornreborn ]
Old 01-04-2003, 10:14 PM   #9
dunedain_aragorn
Animated Skeleton

dunedain_aragorn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

bravo aragornreborn! that's what i keep trying to tell sooooo many people! (not you wonderful people at barrowdowns, other nitwits at my school) it's nice to hear that *someone* gets where i am coming from! i completly agree with aragornreborn.
"I must take leave, I have not slept since Dunnharrow, and I am weary."said Aragorn. Merry seized his hand and kissed it."I am frightfully sorry, we have been a nuisance to you since Bree." Aragorn laughed and left them. "Was there ever any like him?" said Pippin,"Except for Gandalf of course. I believe they must be related."
dunedain_aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 11:46 AM   #10
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>not you wonderful people at barrowdowns, other nitwits at my school <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>How in the world did you get people at your school to know what LOTR is!?! When I say Lord of the rings, people usualy say "who?" in a dimwitted manner that I hate.<BR>Even nitwits are better than nothing.In my school, LOTR is to "geeky" even to be acknowleged!