The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-09-2003, 10:27 PM   #1
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elven maiden Earwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elven maiden Earwen
Sting Uruviel

on this website <A HREF="http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Elf/Uruviel.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Elf/Uruviel.htm</A> and im wondering who Uruviel is. i dont remeber seeing her in the movie but it says she was an elf from lorien and it has pics of her. shes pretty and so is her dress but i cant rember seeing her inb the movies. help im confused did any one see her in the movies?
elven maiden Earwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 12:28 AM   #2
Elanor
Shade of Carn Dűm

Elanor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Nope, I've never heard of her, and don't remember seeing her in either of the films.
Old 02-10-2003, 05:03 AM   #3
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Never heard of her.

"Life is so beautiful"-&gt;Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 05:12 AM   #4
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Interesting thread! I clicked on it, as maybe the others did, because I had <B>never</B> heard that name before! I wonder what it means? Some kind of strange cross between Uruk (Orc) and Tinúviel?<P>The scene that these shots were taken from (although the closeup looks like a promo) appears in FOTR Extended, if I'm not mistaken (which I probably am), maybe it's just before the gift-giving.<P>I think PJ and co. unwittingly fell victim to Star Wars Name Syndrome, giving this person a name but no real background. Chumps. The actress is beautiful, though!
Old 02-10-2003, 09:34 AM   #5
Naldoriathil
Haunting Spirit

Naldoriathil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm afraid that she is not in any of the books and there is no mention of her anywhere. Someones idea of a joke? not very funny....
Old 02-10-2003, 05:51 PM   #6
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

She's just a cameo elf that was in scenes that didn't even make it to the Extended FOTR version. <BR>I feel bad for that actress. Wouldn't you just hate it if all the scenes you were in were cut out of the movie?
Old 02-10-2003, 05:55 PM   #7
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Maybe it is a name for a unamed elf that the people at the site came up with, like Figwit.
Old 02-10-2003, 06:14 PM   #8
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Actually, I found a site with alot of Elves like that who had names, but I had never heard of them before. Hold on, I'm going to go find it again.<P>EDIT: Oh, found it. You can see many Elf names like Golradir, Galdor, Calaglinel, Saelbeth and many others <A HREF="http://www.numenoreen.com/viewgallery.php3?categorie=37&gallery=1&nbimage=34 " TARGET=_blank>here</A><p>[ February 10, 2003: Message edited by: Eruwen ]
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 06:54 PM   #9
Coral
Haunting Spirit

Location: The wonderful (That was sarcastic) State of Maryland...
Coral has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Coral
Sting

I already made up all my names for the "cameo" elves...let's see...there's Pansy #1, Pansy #2, Pansy #3, Pansy #4...and so on. I could list them all if you like
Old 02-10-2003, 10:22 PM   #10
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Maybe they just gave them names to make the actors feel special. You know, wouldn't you rather tell your grandchildren you were "Uruviel the Elf Maiden" rather than "Lorien Elf #7˝"?<P>Probably SW syndrome, though. Either that or Figwit syndrome.
Old 02-11-2003, 06:39 PM   #11
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Well, it is a lot easier to play a part when you have a name. If I don't have a name in some of the acting I do, I make one up. Also, making up a history and the like helps as well.<P>Well: for the names:<BR>Uru means fire and urúva means like or of fire (in Quenya), so Uruviel is probably fire maiden or something along those lines.<P>Gollor means magician (Sindarin, noun) and golodh means Gnome (as in Tolkien sense: deep Elf) and râd means "path" or "way". So Golradir might have something to do with either deep Elves or magicians and "paths" or "ways".<P>Galdor, obviously "gal" denoting "light" (which we would know from Galadriel...) and dôr means dwelling, although "-dor" is also used as a masculine ending. I guess it could connote "Light-dweller" or something of the like.<P>Calaglinel, "Calad" also means "light" and "glîn" means "glimmer" and "-el" is a female ending.<P>Saelbeth, "sael" means "wise" and I can't find a meaning for "beth" other than "betha-" which means "to trample", which I doubt was what was meant...<P>All I can find for Erestor is eressë, which means "single" or "only", but I'm not sure if that's what was meant...<P>Dinendal, dínen means silent...eep: I thought "dal" was a word. I guess maybe it's just an ending...maybe it means "scout" as it's classified as "Silent Scout" as well...<P>Well, maybe that helps with the names in any event.<P>I think that it is nice that Peter Jackson or the actors gave them names. I would be interested to know the "histories" of the characters...
Old 02-11-2003, 07:22 PM   #12
Magician of Nathar
Animated Skeleton

Magician of Nathar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Actually, it's a game card. I wonder if any downers play those? I got one pack of FOTR booster pack before, and I got that elf Uruviel. There should be descriptions, attack points, defense points and stuff under the pic. It's quite fun. Just one of those merchandise they come up with. One of the good ones at least.
Magician of Nathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 08:12 PM   #13
Phrim
Haunting Spirit

Phrim has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Yes, I play the card game; it's quite good, actually. In any case, I'm fairly sure that Decipher, Inc. (who is responsible for both the card game and the movie fan club) makes up the names for the unnamed extras after the fact. And of course everything must go through an approval process with New Line.
Phrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 08:32 PM   #14
Galadrie1
Shade of Carn Dűm

Galadrie1 has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

They probably have photo shoots just for the card game. I doubt the person in those pictures is actually in the movie.
"For this is what your folk would call magic, I believe; though I do not understand clearly what they mean; and they seem to use the same word of the deceits of the Enemy. But this, if you will, is the magic of Galadriel."
Galadrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 06:08 AM   #15
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The scene that these shots were taken from (although the closeup looks like a promo) appears in FOTR Extended, if I'm not mistaken (which I probably am), maybe it's just before the gift-giving. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Thanks for the translation, Vanima Edhel. Although frankly, I'm a bit disappointed that it wasn't:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Some kind of strange cross between Uruk (Orc) and Tinúviel <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 02-13-2003, 03:58 PM   #16
DaughterofVana
Wight

DaughterofVana has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In one of the pictures of Uruviel there is a person in the background with a long white dress and blond hair. Our beloved Cate, I assume. So do you suppose Uruviel is one of her handmaidens?<P>-'Vana

Hi! Did you miss me?
DaughterofVana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 10:35 PM   #17
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elven maiden Earwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elven maiden Earwen
Sting

wow i never noticed that.she might of been a handmaiden. well thanks now im less confused.
elven maiden Earwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 10:58 PM   #18
Phrim
Haunting Spirit

Phrim has just left Hobbiton.
Question

For reference, the card game states the following about Uruviel:<P>Uruviel, Maid of Lorien<BR>An Elf-maid of the Galadhrim, Uruviel has dwelt for years beneath the mallorn-trees of Lothlorien.<P>This is, of course, all fabricated by Decipher, but it's a safe bet that the image was lifted from one of the Lorien scenes.
Phrim is offline   Reply With Quote