The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-26-2002, 12:51 PM   #1
DarkRose
Wight

DarkRose has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to DarkRose
The Eye Malaise

I'm growing ever-the-more worried as each day passes. I am worried that with the release of TTT into theatres, the public will not keep up with the incredible LOTR hype. I fear that interest will fade, and that the movie as well as ROTK will both fail miserably.<P>I know that Tolkien fans who were fans of LOTR before the movie came out will never lose interest. I am just concerned that the newly-acquired LOTR fans will lose their ecstatic interest with the releases of the second and third movies. I, for some reason, feel that maybe the FOTR-lovers will grow tired of the next movies and cling on to some new splendor.<P>Does anyone else have these fears? <p>[ October 26, 2002: Message edited by: DarkRose ]
Old 10-26-2002, 01:43 PM   #2
Anunia
Haunting Spirit

Anunia has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I understand your concern, DarkRose, but I don't agree with you completely... I was an ignorant, and I heard for the first time of Lotr when I saw the movie... Now... Where am I?? I'm one of the biggest fan of Tolkien and I'm sure I'll see all the movies... There are many other people like me who fell in love with ME, who'll see the movie... Don't worry!! The next movies won't fail miserably. <P>Anunia

Dream the impossible, because dreams do come true.
Anunia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 01:44 PM   #3
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Don't worry, DarkRose - the popularity will probably slack off somewhat (inevitable, since TTT will be a "more of the same" while FOTR was new and exotic). But based on my own highly unscientific talks with friends who had never read LOTR (and some of whom still haven't) but who loved the FOTR movie, they're all really excited about seeing the second and third one. You couldn't call them Tolkienites by any stretch of the imagination, but they're definitely more than fair-weather fans of the movie .<P>And think of it this way - sequels are made all the time, often more than once, and those for movies which weren't exactly immortal in the first place (Die Hard II, anyone). If OK-ish sequels to OK-ish movies like that can draw enough box office to prompt the making of yet another sequel, I doubt that TTT and ROTK will have many problems. Hype? Yes, there's a lot of hype. But if the movie is worth it (and I think these are) people will either (a) enjoy it or (b) ignore it, go see the movie anyway. It just means they won't be getting the collectable goblets at Burger King.
Old 10-26-2002, 02:46 PM   #4
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Shield

I'm just glad that they have the movies made already! That way we don't even have to really worry about whether or not non-Tolkienites go to see TTT. Ok, well, I enjoy reading favorable film reviews and talking to people who liked the movie, etc., but I suppose the most important thing to me is how much I'll like the movie, not what anyone else thinks. Unless that results in no sequels (or to put it in TV terms, if I really like a show but not enough other people like it, the show gets canceled and I can't watch it anymore). But since they're already made, that won't happen.<P>So, if they were making these one at a time, and TTT bombed for some reason, then I'd be worried! But I don't think TTT will bomb. How could anyone who sees the trailer think it's just a cookie cutter replica of FotR? Also, because the conflict wasn't resolved at the end of FotR, anyone who wants to see how the story continues will go see TTT.
Old 10-26-2002, 09:50 PM   #5
hobbitlass
Shade of Carn Dûm

hobbitlass has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Also remember that TTT and ROFK are not sequels but a continuation. If they cared at the end of FOTR what happens to everyone then they'll keep caring right up to the bitter(-sweet) end. <BR>There are plenty of people (myself included) who would have never known about the books but for the movie. And of course there are those who will NEVER read it. Oh well.
Old 10-26-2002, 11:55 PM   #6
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

It really bothers me when I pick up a magazine and see articles like "The most anticipated sequels..." and TTT is listed. I keep thinking... it's not a sequel!!!!!!! The media doesn't seem to understand this fact.<P>As for the question. I am not worried because anyone, such as myself, who has read the books since seeing the movie surely isn't going to lose interest (and I think a lot of people have read the books since then).
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 09:05 AM   #7
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Everyone wants to see TTT. Everyone. And quite rightly too.<BR>And you're right about the sequel thing. Sequels are usually unbelievable and far-fetched but TTT is meant to be, it's not just an add-on.
Old 10-27-2002, 04:03 PM   #8
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Ring

What you said, Eomer. TTT won't suffer from any of those "the first one was better" reviews, I think. What you said about sequels reminded me of one in particular..."The Mummy Returns". I happened to like "The Mummy", but the sequel had too many things that didn't fit with the first one. The worst thing was the whole Evelyn/Nefriti bit. Blah. But I digress...<P>If FotR was a complete movie in which the Ring was destroyed and the Hobbits returned to the Shire to live "happily ever after", and TTT was its sequel, we would have the Ring being forged anew from the lava of Mount Doom. Or we'd find out that Gollum didn't really fall in, but caught himself on a ledge, and is the new Dark Lord. Or you'd have Sauron's wife/daughter/son/distant cousin (take your pick) seeking revenge on Frodo...and all that balderdash.<P>Sounds like a good Middle-earth Mayhem thread. "LotR Sequels from Hell."
Old 10-27-2002, 04:54 PM   #9
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

I think it will do wonderfully! I mean, <I>we're</I> all going to see it, right? And if we all grab our friends (if need be, prod them with our officially-licensed Sting replicas) and make them go, it'll do just fine! But naw, I'm sure it'll do great.<P>It was brilliant to make all three at once...that way we don't have to worry about Elijah Wood getting killed and them having to replace him with another Frodo!<P>(Or, according to some that I've heard, there would be more stir if Orlando Bloom wasn't able to appear as Legolas in TTT. )
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 05:06 PM   #10
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've heard fears that TT will suffer from the "middle-child syndrome," because it has no real beginning and no real end, but I think that everybody who saw FotR will feel a moral obligation to see TT. ^_^ I mean, how could you not? With that ending...you don't have any idea what happens next...honestly, I know after finishing FotR (the book) I dove straight into TT, as soon as I could find it in my cluttered bookshelves. I don't doubt that it'll do well.<P>But just to make sure, we'll all have to see it at least five times, right?<P>~*~Orual~*~
Old 10-27-2002, 08:34 PM   #11
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ya, some people will lose interest, but there will still be many people left. Think of Star Wars, all the people who are still in love with them. LOTR will probebly have a similar effect, but perhaps more because there are books, and more books, I think that you can go a lot deeper into ME than you can into Star Wars so it will take longer for the hype to ware off. Also, there is no resolution until the last movie, until the ring is desroyed there is major tension left, people will stick with it until then at least.