The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-17-2002, 04:46 PM   #1
Pookabunny
Wight

Pookabunny has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pookabunny
1420! Weapons

OK lately there have been a LOT of PJ bashing and general LOTR movie bashing posts. So to make things a little sunnier, I'd like to talk about our favorite weapons. YAY!<P>OK so what's everyone's favorite weapon in the movies? Mine is Glamdring (I think the blade is black in the next film!).
Old 11-17-2002, 04:49 PM   #2
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Definatly Gimli's axe's, they kick *** ! He seems to have loads, keeps throwing them all over and always has some more handy!
Old 11-17-2002, 05:11 PM   #3
Pookabunny
Wight

1420!

Wow has everyone seen <A HREF="http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=lotrw" TARGET=_blank>these?</A><P>I have the Full-sized swords made by United, but I don't have these yet. But they'll help people with their favorite-weapon vote
Old 11-17-2002, 06:57 PM   #4
morima

Silmaril

I love the dagger/knife that Aragorn gets from Celeborn in Lórien. It is so thoroughly beautiful! At the end Aragorn stabs it into the Chief Uruk's thigh - and it's horrid to see how it licks it off after it has taken it out... Ew.
Old 11-17-2002, 07:04 PM   #5
the mortal elf
Wight

the mortal elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to the mortal elf
Tolkien

My vote is a tie between Gimli's axes because he's almost my favorite character and anything of his is cool, and Gil-Galad's spear Aeglos (sp?) I just like that because it's unusual for a spear to be a main weapon, I think.
Old 11-17-2002, 10:53 PM   #6
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Do Sam's frying pans count?
Old 11-17-2002, 11:41 PM   #7
Greyhame
Animated Skeleton

Greyhame has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Greyhame
Sting

Frying pans certainly DO count...<P>And by the way, Pookabunny, LOVE the name. Harvey lives!!!
Old 11-18-2002, 12:30 AM   #8
Túroch
Wight

Túroch has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

My favorite weapons have to be the B-Mans sword and shield combo. Too bad you don't get to see him use the shield much, ah well.
For the valour of the Edain the Elves shall ever remember as the ages lengthen, marvelling that they gave life so freely of which thay had on earth so little. But it is not for thy valour only that I send thee, but to bring into the world a hope beyond thy sight, and a light that shall pierce the darkness." Ulmo - Lord of waters
Túroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 01:19 AM   #9
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It has to be Gandalf's staff or Anduril. They are sooo cool! I haven' seen the extended DVD but there is NOTHING about anduril in the original cut, that realy sucks!
Old 11-18-2002, 01:37 AM   #10
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Eye

Well.... I love the swords, and while I would certainly LOVE to have one, I also <I>love</I> Legolas' bow, and am going to be taking up archery myself pretty soon. So, either his bow, Sting, or another one of the swords. I'll have to watch the movie again before deciding which sword I like best. <BR>Arwen, Queen of Gondor
Old 11-18-2002, 06:34 AM   #11
Lady_Báin
Wight

Lady_Báin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

DUH DUH DUH! Gimli's axes are ssoooooo the best, and the reason he has so many is because he has throwing axes and his long axe, just thought you'd like to know. or quite possibly Boromirs sword and sheild. or or or the nazgûl swords they're so pointy and scary looking <p>[ November 18, 2002: Message edited by: Lady_Báin ]
Old 11-20-2002, 02:39 AM   #12
Pookabunny
Wight

1420!

I'd have to agree - the arms of the Nazgul are pretty hard-core. The only issue I had in FoTR was that Frodo was stabbed by a dagger - in the books, it is said that he is stabbed by none only than the witchking. The witchking's sword isn't that dagger that stabbed Frodo in the film - the Witchking has an all-out BIG blade - you can actually get a pretty good shot at it in Bree (there's a close-up of the blade when the Wraiths are thrashing the hobbit beds - the camera starts at the tip and goes up the blade to the hilt).<P> In the Two Towers posters that I've seen, it looks like Glamdring - Gandalf's sword - it looks like the blade is BLACK. Man I hope this next film has some more of the battle between Gandalf and the Balrog!<P> I'd also have to agree that Sam's frying pan is one almight weapon It's actually included in the "arms of the hobbits" WETA weapons display!<p>[ November 20, 2002: Message edited by: Pookabunny ]
Old 11-23-2002, 08:22 PM   #13
Arwen Melian
Wight

Location: Sometimes Imladris....sometimes Mirkwood...other times ....Lothlorien
Arwen Melian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You know what I wish was on the market? The bow and arrows of Legolas...I saw that they have his arms collection. Unfortunately you can't take it off the stand...has anyone thought about selling his bow, if so...I think it would sell quite well. Or is it already on the market? I mean...how cool would it be if you could show up at an archery competition , and be the only one sporting an elven bow!
Arwen Melian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 09:40 PM   #14
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> You know what I wish was on the market? The bow and arrows of Legolas Or is it already on the market? I mean...how cool would it be if you could show up at an archery competition , and be the only one sporting an elven bow! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well, it's not technically <I>the</I> bow of Legolas, but there's an <A HREF="http://armsofvalour.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AOVL&Product_Co de=E-001&Category_Code=LR" TARGET=_blank>Elven Bow</A> for sale at this sword website I keep mentioning. It costs $215. <P>I'm sure ya'll think I work for that site from all the times I mention it, but I don't! It's just that people keep wanting to buy swords like that. And as I've said before, I will too once I get to be of legal age, AND once my money tree blooms.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 02:57 AM   #15
Pookabunny
Wight

1420!

I have GOT to have that Shards of Narsil sword!!! I already have 4 United Swords - Sting, the Witchking, Glamdring and Narsil. And I wonder how they're going to mount Arwen's sword...<BR>ARG it's not going to be mounted, it's going to be displayed. DARN! And I got my wall all set up!<P>Aragorn's sword looks cool. I think I could skip the orc scimitar (another non-mounted sword). Ah who am I kiddin I know I'm gonna get them all...<p>[ November 24, 2002: Message edited by: Pookabunny ]
Old 11-27-2002, 06:16 AM   #16
Lady_Báin
Wight

Lady_Báin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

hmmmm.... at a lot of online stores you can make payments with online banking so my point was, is there a site that sells swords with the online banking option? Because due to my lack-of-creditcard-ed-ness i can't shop online cause i live on a little island in europe. So can any one help me?(I really <BR> <I>need</I> the nazgûl sword!<p>[ November 27, 2002: Message edited by: Lady_Báin ]