The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-20-2002, 01:41 PM   #1
Peri
Wight

Peri has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up LOTR bashing

I was just going thru the movies sect. of this forum, and I came to a subject about people and their friends who bash LOTR and have nothing positive to say about it. <P>Here's what I was thinking: everybody post what your fav part of the movie is and why. If these LOTR bashers can't think of anything nice to say about it, let's give 'em a few.
Old 11-20-2002, 01:54 PM   #2
Aranel
Animated Skeleton

Aranel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

You mean,just one part? That were impossible.What is there that isn't to be liked?<P> I like the depth of the friendship between Frodo and Sam,and how all of the Fellowship were protective of eachother.If you watch the battle scenes,you can see them saving eachother's lives very frequently.Aragorn saves Boromir,Gimli saves Aragorn,Legolas saves Gimli.And the scene of Boromir's death may be my favorite,because even though he nearly was taken by the ring,in the end he was noble and good saw the truth.I believe he served as a great motivation to Aragorn with his last words. *shrugs* *l* So there's my answer.
Old 11-20-2002, 02:25 PM   #3
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The movie, or the book?<P>A favourite part of the book was when the Fellowship passed through Lothlorien.
Old 11-20-2002, 07:13 PM   #4
steve
Wight

steve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to steve
Sting

Simple the battle of the last alliance, thee most beautiful pice of cinamatic art I have ever seen
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 03:28 AM   #5
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

I'm not sure its that some people are 'negative' about the movie. What I think is that for those of us who had read & loved the book before the film, it was such an important book that we found it difficult even to see it on the screen - it was almost too deeply personal. The film could never have put each reader's own personal LotR (the one in our head's) on screen, so it would inevitably be 'less' in some way than the LotR in our head's (& heart's). Its NOT a bad film, but its a 'reduction' of the book. it could never be as good as the book. You have to watch it as a movie, & judge it in its own right. Then its a masterpiece. In comparison to the book, as an attempt to render the book on film - which, as Christopher Tolkien has stated, is impossible - its just not anywhere close.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 05:45 PM   #6
Pookabunny
Wight

Pookabunny has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pookabunny
1420!

Naturally, there's been some discussion about favorite scenes:<A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=001206" TARGET=_blank>check this out</A><P>I agree that there has been a lot of negativity thrown at the filmmakers for their adaptation of the book. My response is this - Yea, there are some things that could have been done differently. Several minute details that even I, a diehard fan, would have like to see differently. HOWEVER, overall, I think the film adaptaion is INCREDIBLE. people need to realize that this is the FIRST TIME a TRUE live-action adaptation has succeeded. I'm sure happy with the result.<P>Even people who didn't like it (and most people who I spoke to who didn't like it blamed it on the ended - that's just ignorance) admitted that the special effects and acting was incredible. People cannot deny the passion that was put into these films and even if they don't like the movies, I'd appreciate it if they just respected that the filmmakers are trying to accomplish. I for one will defend the movies - I love both the films and the books. They're different - but it's GOT to be different. They're both ways of telling a story and natually there have to be variances. These crazies that try to petition the moviemaking process need to get on with it. If they hate the films so much, they need to lock themselves up and sit with the books until they're happy. I can't stand their negativity - because it's based on IGNORANCE.
Old 11-21-2002, 10:15 PM   #7
elsye
Animated Skeleton

elsye has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

pookabunny- that is so true!!! two of my friends were so excited about going to see it (one didn't have the money-i paid)and at the end of the movie, they freaked out on me and said that they never wanted to see "that stupid movie" again!!! and the one I paid for said that it was a waste of time and money!!! they said that it had a lame plot and that the ending was the worst that they'd ever seen... my mouth feels gross even saying that they thought that way.
Old 11-21-2002, 10:19 PM   #8
elsye
Animated Skeleton

elsye has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

but they did like the fireworks and gollum
Old 11-22-2002, 12:45 AM   #9
Iargwath
Wight

Iargwath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Iargwath Send a message via AIM to Iargwath
Silmaril

Im sorry if this seems a little off topic, but i just wanted to point something. Almost everybody i have talked to said they liked FotR, except the "ending". After explaining that there is no real end to FotR and why, they clearly understand how the movie worked. <BR>Others that i have come across either didnt pay attention to the film or they didnt understand it. Thats their reasons for not liking the film. Usually when i explained the plot and what was happening those people appreciated the film a bit more. <BR>I respect other peoples opinions about the movie...but after hearing what i said about the film and what the plot was unravelling they had more of an appreciation of the film.<BR>So really the people who bash LotR are most likely to have one of these problems. Either they didnt understand the plot properly or they didnt realise that there wasnt really an end to the film. But i could be wrong i dont know.

My M-e Forum
Iargwath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 02:54 PM   #10
Pookabunny
Wight

Pookabunny has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pookabunny
1420!

But there are some people who don't have the patience and understanding to appreciate these movies. I'm totally okay with explaining the story and background to people, but I lose my patience when someone says to me "well, the movie sucked. I hate it. And I don't want to talk about it". To people like that, I tell them go ahead and watch the other crap out there - it's a waste of space for them to be in the theater with me and all my fellow LOTR fans. And those are the same idiots who TALK in a movie. Oye that makes me want to scream!