The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-06-2008, 01:44 PM   #761
Gollum the Great
Shade of Carn Dūm

Gollum the Great has just left Hobbiton.
Ok, that was a bit far fetched.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:03 PM   #762
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel View Post
Gwath, who did you protect?
Kitanna, Nogrod, Aganzir, myself, and you.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:05 PM   #763
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
No! I cannot live without my sweet Gollum! Life is pointless without his sweet PMs and his fingers typing sweet nothings in my ear.

++Sally

(Sorry. I have a feeling that Di's gonna come out with narration soon, so this is as good as it gets. If I had time, I would have had a LOT more fun with this.)
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:07 PM   #764
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shastanis Althreduin View Post
Where's my canon!

++Gollum

Sorry, love. Best I can do (see my post above)
Old 11-06-2008, 03:12 PM   #765
Gollum the Great
Shade of Carn Dūm

To bad Nog and Agan were protected those two nights. If they'd been killed we'd number the remaining players (if I recall aright). *Sniffs*
Old 11-06-2008, 05:18 PM   #766
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
I mean it looked so clear and straightforward that I started to wonder whether there was something in there and you looked the most suspicious as a key to that possible mystery.
Yeah I get it, it just looked too easy. In your paranoia, I'm surprised you didn't try pairing me and Gollum or Shasta together. Now if I had been a lover with one of them, that would've been interesting (and rather amusing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwath
Kitanna, Nogrod, Aganzir, myself, and you.
Interesting, we protected ourselves and each other on the same Nights. That's how I was hoping for it to turn out in the end, but there was no way to know for sure.

Btw Gwath, you successfully protected three different (innocent) players on three different Nights. I don't know if a ranger has ever done so well. Props to you.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:27 PM   #767
Gollum the Great
Shade of Carn Dūm

Come on Di!!! Give us an ending!
Old 11-06-2008, 07:35 PM   #768
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum the Great View Post
Come on Di!!! Give us an ending!

Oi! Chill out, boy. The girl's got a life, after all.

Take your time, sweetie. Yes, I want it, but it won't kill (heh, get it? ) me to wait a few more hours. Whenever you get a chance.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:56 AM   #769
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
White-Hand

The girl's got a job, is more like it. I didn't pick the 1 AM deadline for my own amusement after all.

I'll have something up in a bit.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:31 AM   #770
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Silmaril The End

In the end, the Lonely Hearts were so sure that Gollum and Sally were not only Lovers, but the famed Romeo and Juliet, that they were left only to discuss in which order the pair should be killed. Brinniel and Nogrod said Juliet, for certainty, Shasta and Gwath said Romeo, for canonicity, and it got to the point where Romeo fainted from the agony of waiting.

Juliet despaired and voted for herself, then took up a dagger and plunged it into her breast. Or chest, if you want to be that way about it. Romeo awoke from his fainting spell to find his love dead, and wailed in agony, while Shasta complained that this wasn’t all quite right. “What I wouldn’t give for a bottle of poison right about now,” he said.

“I have some,” offered Gwath, helpfully.

Shasta took the convenient bottle and offered it to the stricken Lover. “Here, Romeo, take this, it’ll make you feel better.”

Romeo took it, kissed Juliet, and died.

Their spirits rose from the bodies of Gollum and Sally, clutching at each other with insubstantial hands. But like Tristan and Isolde before, Venus took no pity on them, and they faded into nothing, to be forever apart.

“Once star crossed, always star crossed,” said Nogrod. “It just wasn’t meant to be.”
Old 11-07-2008, 01:39 AM   #771
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Silmaril

Here are the PMs sent to the Lovers and the Gifteds:

Lovers:

Quote:
Congratulations. You are the tortured spirits of Tristan and Isolde, returned from the dead to possess the mortal bodies of McCaber and Greenie. Your time here is fleeting, however, and in order to remain alive you must complete a grisly task -- kill all the remaining mortals, before they slay your mortal hosts and return your spirits to the abyss.

Together you may kill one person each night. You may confer with each other at any time. If either one of you dies at any time, you both depart.

Beware your great enemies, Romeo and Juliet, who have also returned from the grave and are after the same prize you seek.

Among the rest are two who may, or may not, know your identities. Cupid and Psyche move among this group in disguise, and will work towards the good of the Lovers. But beware, they are also on Romeo and Juliet’s side.

Finally, there are two others, a Watcher and Ranger, who seek to protect the mortals. You must seek them out and kill them or you and your love will not survive.
Fea:

Quote:
Congratulations. You are Psyche. You have the gift of a Seer and may spy on one person each night. But beware, if you dream of the player who is Cupid the game will be over for both of you.

By the way, you are a Cobbler and your goal is for the Lovers to win. There are two sets of Lovers, but you will be successful no matter which one is victorious. Cupid shares the same goal.
Eomer:

Quote:
Congratulations. You are Cupid. You may Protect one player a night from death. Your Lover is Psyche who is masquerading as Fea. Beware, you are not allowed to reveal to her your identity. She has the power of a Seer, but if she dreams of you, the game will be over for both of you.

By the way, you are a Cobbler and your goal is for the Lovers to win. There are two sets of Lovers, but you will be successful no matter which one is victorious. Psyche shares the same goal.
Brinniel:

Quote:
Congratulations. You are the Watcher. You have the powers of a Seer and a Ranger. You may dream of one person each night and also protect one person each night. You may not protect the same person two nights in a row, but you may protect the same person on non-consecutive nights.

Your goal is to protect ordinary mortals from the spirits of the dead who have possessed some from among you, and are out for blood. Two sets of star crossed Lovers from beyond the grave have returned. There are also mischievous immortals afoot. This information has come to you in a dream, and marks you as special among the mortals, so be careful how much knowledge you reveal.
Gwath:

Quote:
Congratulations. You are the Ranger. You have the ability to protect one person each night. You may not protect the same person two nights in a row, but you may protect the same person on non-consecutive nights.

Your goal is protect ordinary mortals from something rotten that is afoot. But you will have to use your wits to discern who and how many your foes are.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:49 AM   #772
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

It may be apparent at this point, but I'll say it anyway -- the premise of the storyline was that Venus summoned forth the Lovers' spirits from their graves, let them possess the mortals, but gave them the task of defeating each other in order to survive. She sent Cupid and Psyche down to help the Lovers. Fea's role was inspired by the Cupid and Psyche myth, where Psyche was not allowed to know who her husband was, and when she did spy on him while he slept, she was banished from him. A moral against female curiosity or something daft like that, no doubt, but it made for a good story in "Till We Have Faces."

I'd toyed with the idea of doing something completely different with those characters. I was going to choose a player to be Cupid and then let him select his Psyche... shoot someone with his arrow of love, so to speak. Or, I was going to let Cupid pick all the Lovers, or make a new Lover pair each night. But I couldn't really figure out a good way to make any of those scenarios work in-game. Or at least, I didn't have time to figure out how it might work.

Anyway, I hope everyone had fun -- I had a LOT of fun watching the game unfold. I'll say more later, right now it's very late and I'm quite tired.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:05 AM   #773
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Great game Di! Interesting concept, nicely maddening indeed, and the pics were just soo well picked...

Kudos to our gifteds!

Somehow I just tended to trust you all the time Brinn. I don't know why but I did. The only thing that somewhat made me suspect you at one point was the fact that I trusted you so easily.

Also an awesome performance Gwath! Let us appoint you as the official ranger to every village from now on - not counting those I'm a wolf of course.

Hats off to Fea and Eomer. Even if your gamble didn't pay off you really made it with style!

And I'm so sorry Mac and Rikae! I was convinced - but only so wrong - about you both!

And many thanks and congrats to all those who made this game such an entertaining one: Aganzir for all her effort, Greenie for her sneakiness etc...

Sad so many had to die so soon. Especially Lalaith! Now you who did it just confess and I will promise to haunt you from now on!

Anyway, it was interesting how badly we played the first few Days but managed to get on top of things pretty quickly to win the game as soon as we got our act together. It's a great feeling when one starts to see the pieces of a puzzle to slip into their right places and starting to realize that it's possible to actually think it through.

Thanks everyone! This game just reminded me how much fun a werewolf game can be (well that one Day when Rikae was lynched excluded when I think I myself was partly responsible for the little too competitive feeling and I do apologise about that).
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:32 AM   #774
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
What a great game!

I've been watching this from the sidelines... loved the Fea-Eomer show.

Gwath, I can't give you another rep yet, but you certainly deserve one!
Old 11-07-2008, 06:26 AM   #775
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Hats off to Fea and Eomer. Even if your gamble didn't pay off you really made it with style!
If I'd known there was another set of gifteds floating around, I really would have called that one differently.

Though I don't have time to go into details now, my dreams were:

Mac
Nogrod
Aganzir
Sally

I'm not forgetting anyone, am I Di?

Anyway, you should have seen my complete and utter confusion when I realized that the people I was dreaming of (for the good of the Lovers) kept being protected from the Lovers! Way to Range, bro. That was some sweet irony.

This is actually the most fun I've ever had playing. Think how difficult it is not being able to dream of a Lover whose identity you don't know- I literally was going through trying to dream of people I thought were dead innocent (apart from Sally, who I dreamed of after I learned who Eomer was by way of that obscure role-discussion of *ditzy look* "Anybody think it's like totally possible for there to be like a role called Cupid?")

Anyway... gotta go to work, then busy all day.

But I wanted to thank everybody for an amazingly fun game.

Last edited by Feanor of the Peredhil; 11-07-2008 at 07:07 AM.
Feanor of the Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:54 AM   #776
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Well, even for a short while, it was a nice game. It was apparently a lot more than what it just seemed on the surface, indeed a very interesting concept, Di!

The only thing I can think of right now saying is that Fea was obvious from her first post. I wanted to lynch her originally, but after her, I believe, second post? I rethought and decided that she is apparently a Seer. I was seemingly right in both. Maybe it was too striking for her to be on the good side. Well, fortunately I did not end up to be there for long to confuse people with that...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:26 AM   #777
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Fea was obvious from her first post.
Because

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
Sticking my head in- I won't be properly around until after lunch (it's 7:44am just now)... but I am here.
Just screams evil.

I think my favorite PM moment to Di (who I was frequently contacting with frantic questions) was probably, after being told that Nog "is completely ordinary and rather a bit lonely":

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbler-Seer Fea
Poor Noggie...

I have a question. Am I allowed to blatantly lie to the village about the nature of my role?
Followed swiftly by:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moddess Goddess Venus
You're allowed to do whatever [...] you want, m'dear.
I was delighted. I got to conniving. I had to wait for a moment when I could put forth my ridiculous claims. I didn't know at that point that the Lovers knew my role existed, so I was constantly threatened by the idea that if I got the village to trust me, the Lovers would kill me (and my lover).

Of course I eventually asked Di if the Lovers knew there were cobblers around and she said yes. Load off my shoulders. I could work on the village without having to incorporate Lover-friendly provisos.

I had to decide on how to use my dreams. I'm glad I made one choice I did- I was going to lie about Nog but I changed my mind and pretended I never dreamed of Agan. I could sacrifice her later if need be, 'admitting' that I lied about not dreaming of her to keep her safe. It was a toss up which one of them I wanted to hang on to for later manipulation: if I'd chosen to call Nog anything but innocent, Brinn would have found me out much sooner.

Brinniel, by the way, drove me insane!

I thought she was a Lover. A few Nights ago I PMed Di saying I wanted to dream of whoever it was because I wasn't too concerned- I already knew Eomer was my Lover and I was quite certain Brinn and Gollum were Lovers.

Epic fail...

So then I reveal with great theatrics and many unnecessary augmentations to the nature of my role, and she, my presumed Lover, is trying to kill me!

I kept thinking that she must not understand that I'm on her side. Kept thinking, well maybe she's just taking advantage of the revealed Cobbler to gain credibility later. I thought, well, I'm on the Lovers' side no matter what schemes they come up with, so I didn't try all that hard to stop her once it was obvious she wasn't going to budge.

So false-seer. I'd never heard of this. I was delighted that my arch-nemesis was all but providing me with a chance to 'redeem' myself by playing dumb. Is it possible I wasn't told I'm a false seer? How does the role work? Might Brinn be a false seer?

I legitimately was confused, not to mention distracted- it was at that moment when I was watching the election (fingers crossed) and my mom called to tell me my grandfather had been hospitalized again and my student loans were still uncertain because of a hospital error.

False seer? Bring it on.

Except how could I possibly hold onto the little credibility I'd gained when the village was trying to kill my Lover? I couldn't defend him...

Tragic...

Really, though... Amazing game.

My favorite moment was probably the morning Aganzir didn't die when I turned to my room mate with a horrified expression and said, "Kel... I think I might secretly be saving people when I dream about them."

"Does that role exist?" she asked.

"I don't know!" I moaned. "What if she didn't tell me and I'm actually helping the village win?"

The drama greatly appealed to me.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:01 AM   #778
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
You had me mostly convinced. I was actually disappointed to learn that you were not, in fact, The Prostitute.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:52 AM   #779
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
Just screams evil.
Okay, a little correction then: third post (#19), then (and fifth, respectively, to what I said before).

You see, you just made so many pointless posts that I simply forgot them all
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 11-07-2008, 08:52 AM   #780
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
My favorite moment was probably the morning Aganzir didn't die when I turned to my room mate with a horrified expression and said, "Kel... I think I might secretly be saving people when I dream about them."
Hahaha poor you!

If only I hadn't died then! I didn't know there were cobblers but I didn't trust Fea and Eomer. I was so glad you were lynched since it could have turned out also otherwise. Great performance, anyway - especially given that you weren't apparently allowed to PM.
You know, Fea, there were some comments of yours that kept bothering me all through the game but I couldn't really put my finger on them, like that "If I'm a lover then our dear Moddess thought it would be hilarious not to tell me who my counterpart was." and such.

I find it funny that both Greenie and Cab were included in the few people whose posts I analysed, and I reached the conclusion that both of them were rather innocentish.

Also, I did not stop suspecting Gollum. I was just so happy that he finally responded to me properly that I wrote my post based on that first impression (also one of my major reasons for suspecting him later was a statement I had misunderstood). Then I went back and reread it and realised that there was actually very little that should have made me suspect him less.

Someone also said I seemed to be certain Brinn and Gollum were lovers. I wasn't, but I wanted to see what would happen if I put some pressure on them both. Unfortunately their reactions didn't reveal much.
And then I actually started suspecting Brinn, but that was because Brinn is always so suspicious. I remember being a wolf once, and while typing my great case on her, I thought, "Whoa, if I didn't know better, I would be sure she's a wolf!" My suspicions of her lessened pretty much, though, when she was so ardent to disagree with Fea after her claim.

Sally, you're just mean. :P I had you pinned on second day but then I just forgot about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor
Nice going, Ranger. Quality work.

Thanks Gwath. You were awesome.

I should try to stop suspecting Mac and Rikae every time.

Oh and lovers, why did you decide to kill the people you did? Which pair killed whom?

Anyway, thanks for the game to everybody, and especially Di. This was really enjoyable.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:56 AM   #781
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
You had me mostly convinced. I was actually disappointed to learn that you were not, in fact, The Prostitute.
Quite frankly, I'm now thoroughly depressed that wasn't my role.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:01 AM   #782
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Good game, guys. Probably the most fun I've had as an ordo.

Brinn always seems innocent to me! Don't know why, given that the one time I was a wolf, so was she . But she has.. a vibe, I dunno. Same with Rikae and Sally.

....Maybe it's a female thing.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:45 AM   #783
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shastanis Althreduin View Post

Brinn always seems innocent to me! Don't know why, given that the one time I was a wolf, so was she . But she has.. a vibe, I dunno. Same with Rikae and Sally.

....Maybe it's a female thing.
Mad skills, my friend, mad skills.

For Agan: Lemme think. I believe our kills were Legate, Noggie, Agan, Agan, Brinn. I may be wrong....there were only five Nights, correct? I'll explain them later, but for now I need a nap. Or at least to do some homework and tidying. You can tell I've been in a WW game; my dorm room's a mess. (But it smells nice! Yay for those Wallflower things! [/product placement])
Old 11-07-2008, 09:53 AM   #784
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
I believe our kills were Legate, Noggie, Agan, Agan, Brinn.
Horgehu! How nasty of you!
Old 11-07-2008, 09:58 AM   #785
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Horgehu! How nasty of you!

Love you too, Legate.

If it makes you feel any better Gollum asked me who I was most "afraid of" and you were near/at the top of the list. And the rest you know....
Old 11-07-2008, 10:47 AM   #786
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I love the concept, Di! I'm sorry for being so disrespectful as to assume you made an unbalanced game - I should have known better.

BTW - it was interesting that, in this game, RL lovers suffered basically the same fate they would have if they had been in-game lovers!

Nogrod et al., I hope I've proven once and for all that I do, in fact, get furious while innocent (of course, that probably was an elaborate scheme in itself, designed to make me appear more innocent next time I'm evil, eh, Nog? )

I suppose I should explain my cryptic remarks. Mac, apparently without realizing it, made a post that looked very much like a seer-hint to me, and one hinting he had dreamt of me and Aganzir. I suppose it's a very good thing he wasn't, or I would be responsible for getting the seer killed...

Another thing: I just have to draw everybody's attention to this.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:49 AM   #787
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

A few more random things from ModLand:

The title of the game is taken from Don't Fear the Reaper. (And do watch that video, because it's kind of hilarious and awful, yet fitting. Much like McCaber's offering. )

And yes, I did handpick the roles.

I worried a lot over how to make the roles so the game would be interesting but both sides had an equal chance. It may seem like the Lovers were far outnumbered, but in the last game four pairs of lovers just made for too much carnage. I tired to help them out with the cobblers, and also giving them more information about the actual roles than anyone else got. In the end I think it worked. Gollum and Sally came very close to winning -- despite being thwarted in their kills by Gwath at nearly every turn.

Oh and I believe Nogrod at one point speculated that I chose the Lovers based on who I thought could sneak by unnoticed. Yes. Yes, I did.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:58 AM   #788
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond18 View Post

The title of the game is taken from Don't Fear the Reaper. (And do watch that video, because it's kind of hilarious and awful, yet fitting. Much like McCaber's offering. )

And yes, I did handpick the roles.

I worried a lot over how to make the roles so the game would be interesting but both sides had an equal chance. It may seem like the Lovers were far outnumbered, but in the last game four pairs of lovers just made for too much carnage. I tired to help them out with the cobblers, and also giving them more information about the actual roles than anyone else got. In the end I think it worked. Gollum and Sally came very close to winning -- despite being thwarted in their kills by Gwath at nearly every turn.

Oh and I believe Nogrod at one point speculated that I chose the Lovers based on who I thought could sneak by unnoticed. Yes. Yes, I did.

I totally read that as "Don't Fear the Ranger". I wonder why....

I think it was actually quite fair-balanced. It took me a bit, but I figured out the evil seer thing (a concept I thought only I was twisted enough to use, so kudos to you!) and then my brain spun for several hours trying to figure out how to get myself out of the game alive. Alas, as Romeo and Juliet, it was just not meant to be....

I think both times Gwath stole our kills from us I actually screamed, out loud, at one in the morning. Fortunately all the Residence Life people live on the other end of the floor. Heh. The last night I knew we couldn't win, unless Brinn really screwed something up (which I didn't expect to happen) so I decided the only possible way to win was if she died. Then Groin withdrew, Gwath made the save I knew he would, and I realized I was dead. But it happens.

Blast. I just took up like ten minutes when I should have been working on some other stuff. I have some things to say to specific players, but I'll do that later tonight probably. For now though, good game one and all!

~~Sally~~
Old 11-07-2008, 11:56 AM   #789
Eönwė
Flame Imperishable

Eönwė is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwė is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwė is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
I suppose I should explain my cryptic remarks. Mac, apparently without realizing it, made a post that looked very much like a seer-hint to me, and one hinting he had dreamt of me and Aganzir. I suppose it's a very good thing he wasn't, or I would be responsible for getting the seer killed...
Well, at some point I felt that Mac might be a seer too...
Yes, yes its true.

And I also thought that you seemed like you were protecting him, so I though that there would be "good-guy" team.

And that is one of the reasons for my strange behaviour.

Loved the game, Di!
Old 11-07-2008, 12:39 PM   #790
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond18 View Post

The title of the game is taken from Don't Fear the Reaper.
How did I not notice that before?
Old 11-07-2008, 12:41 PM   #791
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
I totally read that as "Don't Fear the Ranger". I wonder why....

[...]

I think both times Gwath stole our kills from us I actually screamed, out loud, at one in the morning. Fortunately all the Residence Life people live on the other end of the floor. Heh. The last night I knew we couldn't win, unless Brinn really screwed something up (which I didn't expect to happen) so I decided the only possible way to win was if she died. Then Groin withdrew, Gwath made the save I knew he would, and I realized I was dead. But it happens.

Aaah ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha!
Old 11-07-2008, 12:45 PM   #792
Gollum the Great
Shade of Carn Dūm

Thumbs up

Awesome game Di! (Though there were times when I positively hated you for the tight position you crushed me into).

Sally was an awesome partner. Now that I've played with her as an accomplice, I know I wouldn't want her as an enemy.

To Aganzir: I just loved the way you kept jumping truck loads of suspicion on me. Thanks for making the game such a pile of fun.

Brinn took me in. I thought she was a rival in blood.

Gwath played his part admirably. I never suspected him as a ranger.

BTW, what was that little communication thing between Mac and Rikae?
Old 11-07-2008, 04:35 PM   #793
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Sally & Gollum: Why did you chose Agan on the next Night after Gwath had saved me? You had basically a free kill on me but decided to go the other way taking a risk? I mean I really couldn't believe my eyes when I saw I was alive that next Day (I almost decided not to open the computer in the morning to check it out as I was quite sure I was dead - well, luckily I did bother checking it...). Or were you told there were two rangers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Di
I knew it! Well, guessed it right... but at that point of the game it really felt like that.

Also I take some pride in insisting through the whole game that just two pairs of lovers was not the whole picture of the game. After Fea and Eomer turned out to be cobbler-lovers it all seemed pretty clear game-mechanicswise. But having played with you Di and being in your games before I really had that bad feeling to the end that there might still be some surprises lurking around the corner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae
Nogrod et al., I hope I've proven once and for all that I do, in fact, get furious while innocent
But you can imitate that furor as a baddie as well, and to do that in a very believable manner. I'm probably never going to forget your performance in that game a while ago when you as a baddie played like someone who had taken it very personally and were really, personally outraged and hurt about the mounting suspicions on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae
(of course, that probably was an elaborate scheme in itself, designed to make me appear more innocent next time I'm evil, eh, Nog? )
No, I don't think so... Due to that master-performance you made in that earlier game I will probably never be able to believe you when you get personal. Sorry. That is just the effect of that one game. You played it so believably, so heartfeltly hurt that time (while lying) that I just can't consider taking any personal approaches by you in a game seriously just like that... Although that doesn't mean I will have to suspect everytime you do it after this one as I can now see you can do it as an ordo as well...

And don't get me wrong: I love to play with you and I think we share quite a few approaches to this game (like wishing people to actually play) as well as personal traits (like being more upset when suspected heavily as innocents!).

Looking through all the trouble you went to balance the game I just will bow to your excellent decisions once again Di!
Old 11-07-2008, 04:52 PM   #794
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
Though I don't have time to go into details now, my dreams were:

Mac
Nogrod
Aganzir
Sally
Interesting we dreamt of the same people on the first two Nights..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
Think how difficult it is not being able to dream of a Lover whose identity you don't know
I can semi-sympathise. I was once a hunter and Mith was my lover, but I didn't know her identity. While I didn't have to worry about dreaming of her, it was tough going through the Day not sure whether or not I was attacking my lover. Luckily, I had Mith figured out about halfway through..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
I learned who Eomer was by way of that obscure role-discussion of *ditzy look* "Anybody think it's like totally possible for there to be like a role called Cupid?"
Ah, I was wondering how you figured it out if you didn't dream of him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
I think my favorite PM moment to Di (who I was frequently contacting with frantic questions)
What a relief to know I wasn't the only one pebbling her with questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
Brinniel, by the way, drove me insane!
Oh good, I always love driving people insane.

Some comments:

As I mentioned before, Gwath did an exceptional job as ranger. So hats off to you.

Fea and Eomer, did an excellent job in their roles, even if it didn't work out in the end. When Fea revealed I first thought, "Crap, Fea is so manipulative that she could pull this absurd claim off....how do I get people to trust my word against her's?" And I waited to reveal until it was completely necessary because I thought she was a cobbler (or possibly a lover, though less likely) trying to draw the real seer out...even though I didn't reveal that Day I was so sure I looked gifted that I protected myself. As for Eomer, I didn't suspect him at all until towards the later Days by process of elimination...then I thought him a lover. When Fea revealed him as ranger, I knew the two had to be paired together somehow.

Greenie, you played an excellent lover. I felt you may be sliding under the radar which is why I left you in the "no idea" category, but I probably would've never suspected you enough to lynch you. McCaber also did a great job of sliding by early on...if others hadn't started to look at him, I probably wouldn't have either.

Sally...finally one of the few people I was right about from early on. Though obviously not ever sure enough to actually vote for. And Gollum, I can't believe I kept defending you; I was so sure of your innocence. Until later on by again, process of elimination.

Shasta, I have to comment that the reason I dreamed of you was because I thought you might be a lover. When I discovered you weren't, I was at first disappointed...until I remembered how weirdly accurate you can be when suspecting people. Which is one of the major reasons why I chose to take a closer look at McCaber. So thank you for your odd psychic powers. If I ever rule a country, you will be my right-hand man.

Di, thank you for making me the Watcher. I've never been either the ranger or seer before....and I've always wanted to be a seer. I enjoyed the role a lot...and for some odd reason, I've always played best as a gifted. Also, I must compliment you on a great game. It was fun and unique, and I can see you put a lot of effort into it.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:59 PM   #795
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
Sally & Gollum: Why did you chose Agan on the next Night after Gwath had saved me? You had basically a free kill on me but decided to go the other way taking a risk? I mean I really couldn't believe my eyes when I saw I was alive that next Day (I almost decided not to open the computer in the morning to check it out as I was quite sure I was dead - well, luckily I did bother checking it...). Or were you told there were two rangers?
In the PM Di sent them, she mentioned there was a watcher and a ranger. If they researched the previous lovers' game, then they would've known there were two rangers. I was really hoping that they wouldn't know and therefore go after you only to have me protect you, but that wasn't so. Luckily, Gwath managed to protect Aganzir in turn.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:39 PM   #796
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
No, I don't think so... Due to that master-performance you made in that earlier game I will probably never be able to believe you when you get personal. Sorry. That is just the effect of that one game. You played it so believably, so heartfeltly hurt that time (while lying)
Yeah, well, like I said after that game, I wasn't "playing" or "lying". I was honestly mad that Mac was being suspected for no good reason - for personal reasons - I wanted him to play longer. But I suppose you've decided that I was "lying" after the game too.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:51 PM   #797
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:

As I mentioned before, Gwath did an exceptional job as ranger. So hats off to you.
Thank you!
Old 11-07-2008, 06:30 PM   #798
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
Yeah, well, like I said after that game, I wasn't "playing" or "lying". I was honestly mad that Mac was being suspected for no good reason - for personal reasons - I wanted him to play longer. But I suppose you've decided that I was "lying" after the game too.
Well. You were a wolf and you made a show which brought "fear and trembling" over everyone involved... and many started to doubt their suspicions of you because of that - I myself as well - to the brink of turning around and not wishing to lynch you... (and I felt so lousy until I found out you were actually a baddie)

I mean I really felt bad at some point and was honestly thinking that we had made a cardinal mistake and that you were really personally hurt... I didn't think of it back then as a defence of Mac but as a defence of yourself - and as you were a wolf anyway - that is not a too unfair an interpretation. Or is it?

Okay, let's not fill this thread with old games... PM me or I'll PM you a bit later Rikae?

Love you anyway! And I love you both as you well know. Mac also, who suspects me in every game - when he is not a baddie...
Old 11-07-2008, 07:08 PM   #799
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Ah, I was wondering how you figured it out if you didn't dream of him.
It was this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lover-Seer-Cobbler Fea
If I was Seer, I'd pick somebody I didn't think was going to die in the night. What good's a Seer dream of somebody who isn't alive?

Have Lovers games ever had Hunter characters? Could be amusing. Can you imagine a sort of Cupid figure chasing after bad guys in the night with a bow and arrow? It could be a sort of Romeo and Juliet thing: the Hunter dies and takes someone out with him. You know, Hunter's almost a lover role in itself. It would fit, in terms of theme.

Thoughts? The more I think on it, the more outrageous it seems, but hey... you never know.
after which I obsessively studied every player for an appropriate reaction, which I found in this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lover-Ranger-Cobbler Eomer
Is it possible Rikae was the Seer's lover?

We all suppose there's hidden stuff in this game. Why not something like this? Rikae's behaviour was too odd to be just ordinary. That might mean that there's a Guardian lover too. But no, because the supposed lover didn't die with Rikae.

Blah. Sorry. I'll leave it in the post, though. Maybe someone else can see a possibility from that silly idea.
I'm glad to see I slipped something past you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinn
trying to draw the real seer out
I didn't even know there was another seer. Tragic flaw of my strategery...
Old 11-08-2008, 03:50 AM   #800
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Haha I enjoyed playing Lover very much, even though we got lynched pretty early. I was slightly annoyed by that, though - I would have prefered some dramatic ending than a semi-random "Let's lynch some of those quiet ones" -lynch.

I'm really sorry Lal for lynching you so early, I had a theory that you were gifted. Apparently you weren't, and I felt very bad when I heard about how seldom you get to play WW (and you weren't even a gifted)...

It was quite irritating that only when I was reading through the Day we were lynched I realised that Fea and Eomer were the Cobblers, and that Sally was Juliet. It was too late then, obviously.

Overall, this was a wonderful game with a very interesting concept (Kudos to Di!) and interesting players (Kudos to you all!). Thanks.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote