The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-05-2010, 06:12 AM   #1
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
Maybe Lalaith's geese were actually ducks and were mistranslated by Aelfwine (or possibly Bilbo, depending on which version of the translator conceit you choose to follow) rendering Dírhavel's Sindarin original in his native tongue? After all, both belong to the family Anatidae, and I've met people who couldn't tell one from the other...
An interesting point, Pitch. A number of species with "goose" in their common names are actually considered ducks by taxonomists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
* (mentioned only in an obscure textual variant to the Narn which I can't find at the moment, but I suppose Nerwen might be able to help me out...)
The variant to which you're referring is to be found in HoMe, Vol XVI. However, though the geese do appear, note that it represents a radically different version of the text, especially regarding the effects of the disease, so that it's very hard to fit it into the story as we now know it. Nonetheless, it does represent a fascinating curiosity for Tolkien scholars– who would have thought that at one point JRRT intended to have Beleriand overrun by plague-infected cannibal zombies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen View Post
Once again: DON"T INSULT LALAITH!

Really,how many times must I repeat this?!
But it's so much fun!
Old 05-05-2010, 06:44 AM   #2
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.
Leaf

Fun or not,here I come!

Besides,you like her too,don't ya? Otherwise,you wouldn't have asked question about her in 'Who am I?' thread! Admit it!

Btw,answer to my riddle in 'Who am I(II)' is Aredhel....

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:55 PM   #3
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
A-ha! Now you have nailed it. She found it and ate it... eurgh... but, you know, the youngsters and their habits sometimes, improper education and all that... But then, such a disgusting deed just had to be punished. I mean, eating a high Elven Lord's hand? A certain werewolf got killed for less than that.
You know, this makes a certain amount of sense...

...eeewwww.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
The variant to which you're referring is to be found in HoMe, Vol XVI. However, though the geese do appear, note that it represents a radically different version of the text, especially regarding the effects of the disease, so that it's very hard to fit it into the story as we now know it. Nonetheless, it does represent a fascinating curiosity for Tolkien scholars– who would have thought that at one point JRRT intended to have Beleriand overrun by plague-infected cannibal zombies?
Clearly Tolkien was inspired by The Phantom's recent dream...
Old 05-05-2010, 08:43 PM   #4
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Fun or not,here I come!

Besides,you like her too,don't ya? Otherwise,you wouldn't have asked question about her in 'Who am I?' thread! Admit it!
Well, actually I did that just for you.

But sure, I like her– only I'm really not sure if your "Lalaith" is, in fact, Lalaith. Don't recall Tolkien saying anything about Turin's little sister being able to kill dragons with her bare hands...

Quote:
Btw,answer to my riddle in 'Who am I(II)' is Aredhel....
Hey, Urwen, you've barely given anyone a chance to guess the answer! In fact Pitch is still waiting to be told if his guess (Nienor) was correct or not.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:07 AM   #5
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
At the risk of invoking Miss Esty's wrath....

WHAT THE HECK IS THIS RUBBISH?!?!

This is the tone I'm gleaning from this thread:

Urwen: *offers what I really HOPE is a joking opening post*

Nerwen, Eomer, Phantom (heh), Lottie (hehehehe), etc.: *give serious responses*

Me: *thinks this will be a great opportunity to learn more about the books*

Urwen: *dashes my hopes*

All of the above: *are confused*

Urwen: *is kidding, right?*

Look! I even followed Urwen's 'analytical' posting style! That has to get her back on some sort of sane track, right? Right?!

Will someone explain to me exactly what is going on here? Anyone (except Urwen at this point, because I don't think she knows either)? Please?
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 01:52 PM   #6
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
WHAT THE HECK IS THIS RUBBISH?!?!

This is the tone I'm gleaning from this thread:

Urwen: *offers what I really HOPE is a joking opening post*

Me: *thinks this will be a great opportunity to learn more about the books*

Urwen: *dashes my hopes*

All of the above: *are confused*

Urwen: *is kidding, right?*

Look! I even followed Urwen's 'analytical' posting style! That has to get her back on some sort of sane track, right? Right?!

Will someone explain to me exactly what is going on here? Anyone (except Urwen at this point, because I don't think she knows either)? Please?
1. Oh hush up.

2. At the moment, we're working on answering the questions "is Lalaith a Warg?" and "did the Plague come from Maedhros's hand?" and "did Lalaith eat said rotting, plague-infested hand?" and "what are the 'geese', really?"
Old 05-08-2010, 04:37 PM   #7
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Well, sally, explaining a joke tends to ruin it, but for your peace of mind, this thread has developped more like this:

Urwen: *extends her blood feud with Feanor and his whole kin (established here) to blaming Maedhros for the untimely demise of one of her favourite heroines*

you: *think this will be a great opportunity to learn more about the books*

Urwen: *dashes your hopes*

All of the above: *decide to make the best of the situation and get some entertainment out of it by making fun of Urwen's infatuation with Lalaith*
(It started with the bugs and the butterfly and went over the cliff when Glaurung and the geese entered into the picture)

Esty: *agrees with all of the above and moves the thread to Mirth*

Urwen: *doesn't realise that the pleasure of poking fun at her increases in direct proportion with the irascibility of her responses and adds more fuel to the fire*

morm: *doesn't get the mirthful aspect and re-moves thread to N&N*

the true Lalaith: *is offended*

Nerwen & phantom: *do their damnedest to turn the whole affair into an intellectual challenge*
(starting with Narn i Gwilwileth Luin and culminating in the Maedhros' Hand Theory)

parallel to the above:
Nerwen: *challenges Urwen to make good her outrageous claims on Lalaith's behalf in a way that actually makes sense, leading to a battle of proposed and rejected scenarios (score up to now - Nerwen: arnoediad, Urwen: 0)*

Urwen: *still doesn't get why everybody keeps 'insulting' her precious Lalaith, when we're all actually quite fond of the poor girl whom she's blown up beyond all proportion*

Everything: *gradually ceases to be as much fun as it was for a while*

And that's where we are now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sally
When daisies flower in Mordor...
Old 05-08-2010, 04:54 PM   #8
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Actually Urwen/Lalaith was called back from wherever she had been (I still hold to my theory that she had never died) to rejuvenate the landscape of Mordor after the fall of Sauron.

It is said that daisies sprung up in her footprints, and that goose poop is a better fertilizer than nothing.

So, you see, the phantom really was right to assign her to Mordor.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:55 PM   #9
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The Eye

There where daisies in Mordor?!
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote