The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
You know, this to me is just one of those "TMI" topics that I don't like associating with Middle-earth.
After all, if Minas Tirith followed 14th Century practice, they'd likely have been channeling their effluent into the Anduin. Not an image Tolkien would have been likely envisaging.

Since we're accepting talking trees, undead wraiths, and spiders that live for thousands of years, I can deal with just going with the idea that bodily waste in Arda just magically disappears, leaving a "sweet scent of flowers".
Old 08-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
blantyr
Wight

blantyr is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
White Tree A List?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Since we're accepting talking trees, undead wraiths, and spiders that live for thousands of years, I can deal with just going with the idea that bodily waste in Arda just magically disappears, leaving a "sweet scent of flowers".
Maybe the elves work that way. Can't see it that way for the Orcs. Not sure we want to work our way through Treebeard's long list assigning scents...
blantyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:58 PM   #3
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blantyr View Post
Maybe the elves work that way.
Well, we all know the Elves were too noble to fart. I can't imagine Turgon committing a gaseous indiscretion on his throne in Gondolin. Now, the Hobbits, on the other hand, I can imagine them having actual contests in the Green Dragon. After all, they do refer to specific areas of The Shire as "Fartings".
Old 08-31-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
White Tree A smelly fate for some Orcs and Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
You know, this to me is just one of those "TMI" topics that I don't like associating with Middle-earth.
After all, if Minas Tirith followed 14th Century practice, they'd likely have been channeling their effluent into the Anduin. Not an image Tolkien would have been likely envisaging.
You got me thinking that those Orcs and Men in the Battle of the Pelennor Fields who were driven into the Anduin suffered a particularly smelly fate...
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:16 PM   #5
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faramir Jones View Post
You got me thinking that those Orcs and Men in the Battle of the Pelennor Fields who were driven into the Anduin suffered a particularly smelly fate...
That was when they really became "maggot-folk of Mordor".
Old 09-01-2012, 06:05 AM   #6
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faramir Jones View Post
The Men of Gondor, flushed with pride, drove the Orcs from their trenches.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:33 AM   #7
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I always thought the clearest reference to such things in the book was Sam's "It smells like ... well, I wouldn't like to say. Some beastly hole of the orcs, I'll reckon, with a hundred years of their filth in it."
Old 12-19-2012, 09:44 PM   #8
Juicy-Sweet
Animated Skeleton

Juicy-Sweet has just left Hobbiton.
I imagine the Elves being quite adverse to the smell of faeces, just doesnt seem right for them, so they must have invented plumbing as one of the first things.

For the humans, I imagine them being like "real humans" - Gondor probably quite clean, owing to the Elven influence.

I imagine Rohan and Bree as quite filthy, like historic Medieval cities.

The plumbing of Barad-Dur YEECH no wonder it was called the Black Tower
Juicy-Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote