The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-08-2008, 04:42 PM   #401
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Hmmm...

I think I'll have to go with Luthien on this one. Galadriel is a worthy champion, but I just don't like her much. The whole business with the Ring- for someone who is supposed to be wise and has been around since the first age, she seems too easily tempted into believing that she could actually use the Ring to overthrow Sauron. I don't recall Elrond, for instance, being tempted so strongly, despite Tolkien stating that he would've had a better shot at actually pulling it off.

In addition, she allows her Elven Ring to be spotted by Frodo (flaunting it, it seems to me). Gandalf and Elrond both hid theirs much better.

And how can you argue with the one person who has actually changed the mind of Mandos, and sung Melkor to sleep? I don't imagine she'll win this contest, but I shall support-

++Luthien
Old 12-08-2008, 05:52 PM   #402
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
++Galadriel

She just seems more 'real' than Luthien although this battle fo the heavy hitting females is difficult.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:09 PM   #403
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
++Galadriel. I've always had a thing for older women.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:16 PM   #404
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Hmmm...tough one.

I like both characters, but Luthien was hotter , and took on both Sauron and Morgoth face-to-face . The girl's got guts and glamor, glorious!

++Luthien
Old 12-09-2008, 06:10 AM   #405
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
What kind of question is this? A whimsical girl who achieved most of her great deeds with her looks, or a strong-willed woman who achieved her success with her wisdom?

++Galadriel

And furthermore, I must say that for me, her story is more touching and more sad than Lúthien's.

Aieeeeeeeeeeeee I kind of hope Galadriel doesn't get through, though. Because, otherwise I have to start choosing between her, Maedhros and Gandalf, my three favourites, which is going to kill me... And there's Boromir too? I'm just glad we don't have Finrod, Haleth, Théoden or Gildor here and that Merry didn't make it through the first round...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:51 AM   #406
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
++Galadriel.

In the case of which was more gorgeous, Galadriel certainly had more admirers. But this shouldn't be about that - and Galadriel made much more use of not only her looks but her talents. Nor was she embroiled in a quest ostensibly just to get her dad to accept her punk boyfriend, she was nation-building. And the way she handles her many admirers is impressive. She's Goddess-like.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:07 AM   #407
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Well, obviously I'm going to vote

++Galadriel.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:37 AM   #408
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
++ Galadriel

No question. Just looking at her motives and Lúthien's for doing their great deeds, so to say. Besides, Lúthien's story is lovely but her personality is too much the basic beautiful, mysterious and gentle-hearted woman that tends to annoy me.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:52 AM   #409
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Lúthien is in conception more like an Elf in a traditional sense: a youthful, magical creature dancing in a forest glade, beautiful and illusive; you call out and *poff* she's gone. The story of Beren and Lúthien is also more like a traditional fairy-tale I suppose which doesn't fit seamlessly into the more serious Silmarillion. I really enjoyed the story in Lost Tales (those cats were well cool) and Lúthien is at her best here. This is a vote for Tinúviel:

++Lúthien
Old 12-09-2008, 11:11 AM   #410
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
What kind of a question is that?

++Galadriel

EDIT: Eeek. I am scared. I did not read anything from this thread (only seeing the boldened "++Galadriel" and "++Lúthien" words there) before I posted...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:05 PM   #411
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
It promised to be a real cat fight but Lúthien didn't have the claws to resist Galadriel who wins 10-4.

Match 7 of Round 2:
These two need no introduction. Without further ado it's:

Aragorn vs. Samwise Gamgee
Old 12-09-2008, 12:39 PM   #412
Gollum the Great
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gollum the Great has just left Hobbiton.
Aragorn?.... or Sam? Aragorn?.... or Samwise?.... Descendant of Kings?.... or a hobbit? Weeell, I always liked them both, both have a sort of quiet, retiring disposition, not thrilled by becoming big or popular. But...

++Sam

...because Aragorn already knew how to be a hero and Sam had pick it up as he went along.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:50 PM   #413
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
++Sam

No specific reasons, except that I just like him more.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:05 PM   #414
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
I see the second-round matches are all either perfectly clear without any doubt, as I just love one of the characters (Saruman, Galadriel) or they are totally unclear because I don't like either of the characters that much (that Maedhros thing, or this one). But, thinking of what I said back then during the first round, I will vote

++Aragorn

although I am inclined to believe that if I were in a different mood (after reading the second half of the Two Towers, for example), I would have voted for Sam.

They are both nice, nevertheless - just not that brilliant.

P.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum
...because Aragorn already knew how to be a hero and Sam had pick it up as he went along.
Actually, Aragorn didn't know, and that's exactly why I voted him in both rounds. I just realised this a while ago and I started to like a lot his uncertainity by Rauros and overall during the course of the journey, after Gandalf's death especially, too.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 12-09-2008 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:09 PM   #415
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
++Aragorn

He has a better sense of humour, for starters.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:29 PM   #416
Ilya
Wight

Ilya has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Oh, this is a hard one. I like them both.

++Sam

I just can't not vote for him.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:50 PM   #417
Strongbow
Wight

Strongbow has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Strongbow Send a message via MSN to Strongbow
++Aragorn

Because he has more names, and this is something I can admire.

Last edited by Strongbow; 12-09-2008 at 09:04 PM.
Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:23 PM   #418
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
++Aragorn

Because all his "Lo!" and "Behold!"s make me laugh. And other reasons.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:51 PM   #419
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum the Great View Post
I'd disagree slightly on this matter. For isn't it one of the central themes with Aragorn that he has to learn to accept his inheritance and to claim the kingship with not only his deeds but with his identity, that he has to learn himself to become what he is? And it doesn't go that easily - just like it's not easy for Sam to take the decisions and hold the fate in his hands in Mordor? So aren't these two as well so alike on some things?

I'd like to abstain from voting with this one as neither of them are my absolute favourites but I tend to like them both in different ways.

If I'd be on for a night of drinking beer and merriment I'd choose Sam as my company but if I'd wish to discuss the grand issues of this world with a jug of wine I'd choose Aragorn...

Darn hard one.

++ Aragorn

It could have gone the other way as well...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:07 PM   #420
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Aragorn doesn't shower, he really doesn't do much. The crown is handed to him through no real effort of his own. Simply put, by having such a company selected for him he was made 'great'.

Sam on the other hand is the best. He is noble, brave and courageous.

++Sam

Seriously, we cannot let Same lose.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:22 PM   #421
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

I really and honestly cannot choose here on any substantive grounds. When I was younger I'd have chosen Aragorn without a moment's thought, but as I've got older I've come to see just how important, and what a thoroughly wonderful, character Samwise is.

So I'm simply going to choose for the one who I perceive to be the underdog and go:

++Sam
Old 12-09-2008, 04:54 PM   #422
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil View Post
Aragorn doesn't shower, he really doesn't do much. The crown is handed to him through no real effort of his own. Simply put, by having such a company selected for him he was made 'great'.
Are you serious? I can't believe what an insult you gave to Aragorn. He was one of the highlights of Gandalf's ultimate plan to bring peace back into Arda and to unite it's people. Everything about Aragorn is truly kingly. One of the truly remarkable parts of 'The Return of the King' is when Aragorn actually has to sneak into Minas Tirith to save Merry and Eowyn's lives, all because of his respect for the cities people and his humility. That is a true king!

++Aragorn
Old 12-09-2008, 05:27 PM   #423
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Aragorn had a lot more going for him than the run-of-mill fellow from Middle-earth: an incredible pedigree, protection and education from the Elves, and support from a woman (an Elvish one) who loved him. No one can doubt his bravery in battle, compassion in dealing with those lesser than him and his ability to lead men. One could say it was in his upbringing.

Sam? He was a gardner and lucky enough to learn his letters. Yet through perseverance and loyalty he managed to guide the most dangerous object in the world to the most dangerous place in the world, half-carrying his master most of the way, fighting a monstrous spider solo, and giving up the Ring out of friendship.

++Sam
Old 12-09-2008, 07:12 PM   #424
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Pipe

While it's close, aand it's tempting to go with the
Elfstone, Sam won repeeated elections whereas
Aragorn was "elected" only once and that by a hardly secret
ballot, so a vote goes to Rosie's significant other
+ + Samwise .
Old 12-09-2008, 08:05 PM   #425
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
Are you serious? I can't believe what an insult you gave to Aragorn. He was one of the highlights of Gandalf's ultimate plan to bring peace back into Arda and to unite it's people.
Exactly, all he was is a pawn to Gandalf. Aragorn was given everything and almost botched it anyway.

Sneaking in is more like a thief than a king says I.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:45 PM   #426
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

++Aragorn

Because if I had to make a choice, I'd rather be Aragorn than Samwise.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:23 AM   #427
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

Quote:
Sneaking in is more like a thief than a king says I.
Don't say 'sneaking'! It only reminds me of He who isn't here.

I'll make this brief as I'm about to go to work.

++Sam

He is truly a character.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:35 AM   #428
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Don't belittle Aragorn, people. He's cool, especially in the first book.

All the same I think I'll vote for the brave and loyal

++Samwise the Stouthearted.

It''s just not fair to have all the vertically-challenged characters eliminated from the contest.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:04 AM   #429
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil View Post
Exactly, all he was is a pawn to Gandalf. Aragorn was given everything and almost botched it anyway.
Then wouldn't Sam also be considered a pawn that Gandalf used? That type of logic is could be used both ways.

By the way, what do you mean Aragorn was given everything? He started with nothing, he fought for his throne and right to rule. I don't see why you have to try and downgrade some Tolkien's characters just because you don't have anything good to say about the character you voted for! Both of them are amazing characters who deserve to win, but perhaps you should remember the old adage: if you don't have anything good to say don't say anything at all!
Old 12-10-2008, 11:31 AM   #430
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Quote:
By the way, what do you mean Aragorn was given everything? He started with nothing, he fought for his throne and right to rule.
Hmmm...we seem to have people posting at opposite poles here (I guess that makes the forum bi-polar). Aragorn certainly did not start with 'nothing', he was the chieftain of the Dunedain, leader of his clan, and he was treated like a prince in exile in Imladris. That 'Oh woe is me, I am a friendless drifter' Aragorn is from the movies, not from the books. But from the opposite viewpoint, Aragorn was not handed everything, nor was he merely Gandalf's lackey. He did indeed 'earn' the right to be King.

Quote:
I don't see why you have to try and downgrade some Tolkien's characters just because you don't have anything good to say about the character you voted for! Both of them are amazing characters who deserve to win, but perhaps you should remember the old adage: if you don't have anything good to say don't say anything at all!
People can say whatever they like. People can despise certain characters, and they can love other characters. We may not agree -- so what?
Old 12-10-2008, 12:12 PM   #431
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andsigil View Post
Because if I had to make a choice, I'd rather be Aragorn than Samwise.
Not into birds with hairy feet, eh?

This contest was very tight. Sam took the early lead but Aragorn came back with a vengeance and had the upper hand for a while. Sam the brave-hearted hung in there though and managed to get enough late votes to win and send Aragorn packing by the score of 9 to 7.

Match 8 of Round 1:
In this final match of the second round Túrin Turambar, who just managed to defeat Gimli in the first round, faces Beorn, who caused an upset by knocking out Faramir. Which one of these Orc-slayers deserve a berth in the quarter-finals?

Túrin Turambar vs. Beorn
Old 12-10-2008, 01:02 PM   #432
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Well, I really don't care one way or another for either character, really. But I suppose Beorn isn't as reprehensible as Turin, who is a walking psychological case-study for any number of syndromes and manias.

++Beorn
Old 12-10-2008, 01:20 PM   #433
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
Hmmm...we seem to have people posting at opposite poles here (I guess that makes the forum bi-polar). Aragorn certainly did not start with 'nothing', he was the chieftain of the Dunedain, leader of his clan, and he was treated like a prince in exile in Imladris.
The leadership of a clan of exiles in order to defend people who have forgotten you and treat you with distrust is more like a responsibility than an honor. Also, it was only right that he should be treated as royalty since Aragorn is royalty, but once again, he's earned that through his wisdom and prowess as a fighter.

As to this match between Beorn and Turin, I would have to vote for Turin. Beorn is nice and simple, but I really like The Children of Hurin and Turin's adventures. Especially how everything ends in ruin for him and his sister, not to mention his Hurin and Morwen, it is absolutely heartbreaking.

++Turin
Old 12-10-2008, 02:14 PM   #434
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
++Beorn

Bears, honeycakes, house in the forest, tame animal buddies.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:19 PM   #435
Gollum the Great
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gollum the Great has just left Hobbiton.
++Turin
Old 12-10-2008, 02:22 PM   #436
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

++Beorn

No trace of self-pity in that guy - granted, his fate was kinder, too.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:23 PM   #437
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Beorn is nice, but... Túrin, especially since CoH, is really far more complex character.

++Túrin

And funny, as I really did not like him or his tale when I read the Sil for the first time...
Old 12-10-2008, 02:27 PM   #438
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Sting

As Morgoth was overheard to opine to Sauron:
"You can't do business with that hothead Sonny (ah,
I mean Turin)". Now if only the Blacksword had had
the self control of Michael (oops, that is) of his
cousin.

+ + Beorn
Old 12-10-2008, 02:29 PM   #439
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Funny, I just finished reading Children of Hurin, which is like the extended version of the Turin story from The Silmarillion.

Turin's a good fighter, but he's too proud, arrogant, and stubborn for his own good. If I didn't care for him and his melodramatic antics and his total disregard for the advice of all of his friends before, I thoroughly dislike him now. In fact, if he weren't slaying orcs (his only redeeming quality), he'd be a veritable villain.

++Beorn, all the way.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:48 PM   #440
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Quote:
The leadership of a clan of exiles in order to defend people who have forgotten you and treat you with distrust is more like a responsibility than an honor. Also, it was only right that he should be treated as royalty since Aragorn is royalty, but once again, he's earned that through his wisdom and prowess as a fighter.
And you're certainly entitled to have that opinion, and make such assumptions, even though I don't necessarily agree with all of it. See how easy that is?

From a realistic point of view, believing one has any sense of entitlement for a throne his ancestors lost millenia previously is rather like saying you deserve to be Roman emperor because you are somehow related to Julius Caesar, even if you can prove direct father/son lineage back that far and have his sword (it reminds me of the serf saying to Arthur that watery tarts waving about scimitars is no basis for a system of government). One of the more irritating plot lines Tolkien developed as far as impingeing on one's suspension of disbelief.