Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-24-2002, 01:36 PM   #481
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

Sam frowned. He wished Mister Frodo could believe what he already was sure of.

Sam leaned over and placed a hand on Mithadan's forehead. He frowned.
Sam: Mm. No, sir, he won't. Not 'til that fever breaks, leastways.
Leaning as close as he could to Mithadan's ear, he said, "It's okay, sir. I know you didn't mean it. "

Frodo shook his head.

Sam: Come on, Mister Frodo. We've got--*draws a deep breath*--swimmin' lessons to be had.

He went out the door. After a moment of gazing at the sleeping Mithadan, Frodo followed.
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Old 06-24-2002, 05:45 PM   #482
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Child had flooded a 5-foot deep storage barrell on one of the lower decks, which was about 10 feet long. She felt it was too dangerous to start the two of them off in the ocean so Birdland had helped her devise this as an alternative. Eventually, if they sailed into a cove, they might try it out there as well.

With the help of Stacey, she was having Frodo and Sam practice what is generally known as the "dead man's float". It's a good thing they weren't Elves as this was the largest container she could find.

The hobbits were both surprised to discover that, if they kept their head about them and stayed calm, their bodies were naturally buoyant. By the end of the session, they were beginning to paddle much like dogs slowly back and forth.

Child whispered to Stacey. "I'm not trying to turn them into long-distance swimmers, but as long as we're out on this ship, it is downright dangerous not to know how to keep your head above water." She was careful to keep her voice low so that neither of the hobbits would overhear.

Child understood that both of them had some bad associations with water. Frodo, of course, remembered his parents. And even though Sam had good memories of swimming with Rosie in the Shire's swimming hole, he had apparently experienced an awkward moment or two chasing after Frodo just when he had decided to trek out to Mordor on his own. Child wasn't sure quite what had happened but she knew it involved Sam and water and Frodo and a boat. She wasn't about to ask for any more details, especially when she'd finally gotten them to try and learn.

It was quite strange for her to be in this teaching role with the two of them since Samwise and Frodo had always been the ones to teach her things. But, in this one activity, she could apparently be of some help.

There was another reason for Child's frantic activity which she was not about to acknowledge to anyone, least of all herself. She did not like the way Mithadan was taking so long to recover, and she still had no idea where Rose had gone to. Better to keep her mind on teaching swimming than to think about all that.
Old 06-24-2002, 06:18 PM   #483
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Sam paddled himself all the way over to the other side of the storage barrell and grabbed hold of the edge, panting.
Sam: "H-how are we doing? "

Stacey: Just fine, both of you. Rest if you need to.

Frodo paddled over to where Sam was, and also held on.
Frodo: Oh my...I certainly never thought I'd be doing this!

Stacey grinned, remembering the night of the storm, when Frodo had been trapped by the rail and she'd had to go get him.
Stacey: "But you are, Mister Baggins. You are."

Stacey glanced at Child. "Can I talk to you a second?" she asked, glancing at the railing a few feet away.
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Old 06-24-2002, 07:00 PM   #484
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Rose was pulled down, down, down by a hand that kept a stong hold on her ankle. She could not see who's hand it was but just tried with all her might to fight it off.

She was loosing breath fast. Her lungs were bursting and her mind was going dark. She needed air. Finally she fell uncontious.
Old 06-24-2002, 07:54 PM   #485
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Birdie had finished her shower, feeling cleaner than she had since - well - since the party. Pio had lent her an Elven robe, of simple design, but it was by far the prettiest thing that Birdie had ever owned.

She was admiring herself in the glass on the wall of the cabin, turning this way and that, and standing on her toes in order to see as much of the robe as she could, when suddenly she heard the scream: "Rose!"

Gathering the skirt and running up on deck, she saw Pio Child, Sam and Frodo desperately leaning over the railing, searching the water and shouting "Rose!" Where are you?!" Then Pio dove over the side and swam down into the water.

"Oh, no. Not again". Birdie threw off the Elven robe and dived into the ocean after Rose and Pio.
Old 06-24-2002, 09:26 PM   #486
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

'So I must be dead now.' thought Rose. But she didn't open her eyes. If she was dead then did that mean she was in heaven now? She tried to pick up any information about her surroundings still with her eyes closed. She felt like she was laying on somthing very hard. All around her smelt like the salt of the ocean and there was water dripping somewhere. But where was she? Finally she dared to look....
Old 06-24-2002, 11:14 PM   #487
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

"Oh, Stacey, I'm so sorry. My mind is wandering. I keep worrying about where Miss Rose is."

"Did you want to talk about Sam and Frodo, or something else?"

"I'm very pleased with how the two of them are learning. Maybe if we found a quiet cove, we could get Miss Birdie to go into the water with them as a dolphin. That is, if she ever comes back from searching for Miss Rose!"
Old 06-25-2002, 02:15 AM   #488
Veritas
Wight

Veritas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Although Veritas could swim, she didn't feel for swimming today. First she took a hot bath, and after that she tried to make the laptop look better, and took it with her on the deck to return him to Mithadan.

In Mithadans cabin was a Hobbit, who said that Mithadan could not be disturbed because he slept. "Here, will you make sure he gets this when wakes up?" Veritas asked the Hobbit while she gave him the laptop. After the Hobbit had promised that he would take care of the thing, Veritas went on deck, she had found some clothes in her cabin, so she wore fresh ones now.

The Hobbits were learning swimming, and she saw Pio and Birdie in the water. She felt good. After a while looking over the water, she sat down on a chair to think about the journey home. The captain said it could take a couple of days, so she had time enough to think wether she would go home reaching the fields, or not, and stay for a while.

The adventures were done, and hopefully for a little while. She wanted to rest for a few weeks, and later maybe, there would happen other things...

She walked to the water and looked to the swimming people, hey, somone was missing, Rose! Where was she? Was she out of the water already, or...

[ June 25, 2002: Message edited by: Veritas ]
Old 06-25-2002, 03:14 AM   #489
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Mith, it's Idril. she whispered softly.

She came and sat on the bed beside him; a silver bowl was in her fair hands. Healing herbs floated on the clear, clean water within, and their scent seemd to permeate the cabin, driving away the smell of sickness and despair.

On a small stand to her left, she placed the bowl and from the pocket of her gown she drew some soft cloths, laying them on the bed next to the feverish man.

Brushing the limp, sweaty strands of hair from his face, she gently sponged the cool water on his brow, letting it run in little rivulets down his temples. She laved his face with soft strokes and let the air from the open window dry the moisture.

Drawing back the coverlet, she bathed his neck and arms, letting the cool water and the sea air draw the heat from his feverish pulse points.

Deftly and gently, her fingers worked loose the bandage covering the injury to his chest. He moaned as the wound was exposed to the air.

She drew a small flask of poppy elixir from her skirt pocket. Supporting his head with one hand, she trickled a thin stream of honey-colored fluid into his mouth, and stroked the side of his cheek and neck, encouraging him to swallow. Relief crept into the features of his face, and he lay down relaxed against the pillow.

Using the last of the clean cloths, she dipped it in the herbed water, and cleansed the crusted covering of the wound, gently removing the yellow, foul exudate from the deepest part, exposing healthy tissue.

Cleansing her hands well,she dipped the first two fingers of her right hand into a small silver jar she had brought with her and applied a generous amount of the poultice to the wound - comfrey and thyme oil, bound with an aromatic aloe gel. She covered the area with a clean bandage and secured it with strips of linen wrapped round his chest.

As she ministered to him, she sang a quiet, rhythmic song, a lulling song, a song of Orolindė; her words like the fountains there, washing away care, and dread.

Once done, she covered him with a fresh blanket, and placed her hand on his cheek briefly in reassurance.

Be well!

[ June 25, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 06-25-2002, 07:30 AM   #490
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

She was in a cave. She oviously had not drowned. Was it an underwater cave or had she been taken to a coast? Her body ached from laying on cold rocks but she tried to get up. She couldn't see anyone anywhere. She didn't understand.
Old 06-25-2002, 09:39 AM   #491
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Mithadan passed from dreams of horror to a light, restful sleep. Then, at last, his eyes flickered open. He was in a dim room with ceiling and walls made of dark, carved wood. Light streamed in from a single porthole, but the lantern at the bedside table was unlit. He attempted to rise and received a sharp pain in his chest in reward. Turning to his side, he pulled his arm under him and gingerly lifted himself to a sitting position. While waiting for his head to clear, he inspected his surroundings. Across from the bed stood a table with neatly folded clothing resting on it. He realized that his chest was bare except for neat rows of bandages encircling his torso. He blinked and attempted with difficulty to recall the events of the past several days. Then he noticed a bright breastplate hanging on the wall, scored and scorched in its center, and the memories came flooding back.

He rose carefully and slowly pulled a shirt on. Walking to the porthole, he observed Piosenniel swimming and diving. Then he walked to the door, half expecting that it would be locked against him...
Old 06-25-2002, 12:36 PM   #492
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Stacey led Child over to the railing, looking over her shoulder to make sure Frodo and Sam weren't "eavesdropping" (erm--sorry, couldn't resist). [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Whispering nonetheless, she said,
"Child, what do you suppose did happen to Rose? Can't we do something?
Old 06-25-2002, 12:45 PM   #493
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Primrose had climbed out of the barrel and went to rest for a while. Coming back, she passed the cabin where sickbay was, and stopped a moment. She sighed.

Prim: I sure hope Mister Mithadan's going to be okay. Papa said when they were in there last it seemed like he was havin' some bad dreams. I hope he dosen't feel guilty or anything. He did what he had to, and I know Papa forgives him...

Just then she was snapped from her thoughts by a noise. Looking up, she saw the doorknob turn.
Old 06-25-2002, 01:49 PM   #494
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Quote:
"Child, what do you suppose did happen to Rose? Can't we do something?
ooc:That's what I'm trying to figure out. Suggestions would be nice [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] ::
Old 06-25-2002, 01:57 PM   #495
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

OOC: ACK! I thought you knew and we were gonna follow your lead! Hm...suggestions...hm....Thinking......
Old 06-25-2002, 02:20 PM   #496
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

The door was not locked, which Mithadan took as a good sign. He turned the knob and stepped out into the hall, only to nearly collide with Primrose who stood just outside. He smiled down at the young Hobbit and said, "Hello Primrose. Is all well?"

Primrose looked up at the weary man and smiled back. "Its good to see you up and around Mister Mithadan," she said. "But, to tell the truth, there's more trouble about. Rose was swimming and she disappeared and no one can find her and can you help, sir?"

Mithadan frowned. "I doubt that I'll be doing any swimming today but let's see if I can't make it up on deck. Could you help a bit?"

Primrose took Mithadan's hand and walked with him down the hall and slowly up the stairs to the main deck.
Old 06-25-2002, 02:28 PM   #497
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Primrose's hand was nearly lost in Mithadan's, but that was fine. She was glad to see him up. Looking up, she saw that he still looked a little pale and his dark hair still clung damply to his forehead a bit, but otherwise he was closer to what he had been.
Papa and Miss Stacey will be glad to see he's up and about, she thought, but I hope Uncle Frodo...
She shook her head. Oh, I hope he thought about what Papa and Miss Stacey said.

[ June 25, 2002: Message edited by: Samwise ]
Old 06-25-2002, 02:33 PM   #498
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

ooc: I actually was just following Pio cause she's the one who first had me dissapear under the water. I really am not familar with Middle Earth's waters so I don't have much of an idea of what could have grabbed me. I'm trying to think of somthing. Or is anyone is willing we could make somthing up like an underwater gremlin. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ::
Old 06-25-2002, 02:46 PM   #499
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

OOC: Hm. Well, we've had mer-folk, so why not? Feel free to describe what you're seeing after this post:
----------------------------------------------
In the water next to Rose, there was a bubbling. The bubbles moved closer, and finally two large green eyes appeared above the surface.
(?): Hmm...what is it that I've got? Hello, there, pretty one.
Old 06-25-2002, 03:09 PM   #500
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

ooc:Thanks Sam::

Rose jumped up nearly slipping on the damp rock and reached for her sword. But it wasn't there.
"Ahh sword is too dangerous. Can't have that." said the creature. It started to rise out of the water and Rose saw that it looked alot like she imagined Gollum. Eccept it was small even to a hobbit and it had horns on it's head and down it's back. It's limbs were long and it's fingers and toes were webbed. It crawled up onto the rock and Rose retreated to the wall.
Old 06-25-2002, 03:14 PM   #501
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

OOC: You're welcome. Do you want to play--er--"it" since you're the one down there, or do you want someone else to do it? Maybe later pio can since, like you said, she had this idea to begin with..
Old 06-25-2002, 03:24 PM   #502
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

ooc:Anyone can play this....thing. I think it would be cool if we put a team effort into it. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Whatever you all want.::
Old 06-25-2002, 06:06 PM   #503
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Frodo was leaning out dangerously far,

"Rose! NO!!!"

SPLOOSH! Frodo fell over the rail...
Old 06-25-2002, 06:38 PM   #504
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

ooc:I didn't mean to confuse you. You can play the creature if you want. I encurage it. But I may also play it too if that's alright with you.::
Old 06-25-2002, 07:58 PM   #505
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

The small, nimble sea-creature hopped onto a rock, cocked it head, then pointed a webbed finger at the confused, frightened halfling.

"You hobbit?"

"Ye...Yesss...I'm a hobbit. Rose Cotton, at your service, if you please. Why am I here?"

The creatures back spines snapped up, and he exposed a wide set of sharp, pointed teeth. And then he started to caper around the cave, jumping from rock to rock and leaping from crevice to crevice. Rose realized the tiny creature was actually happy!

"HobbitHobbitHobbit! At last, at last! YOU are a hobbit!" He spun on one foot, then with a leap like a frog, landed within inches of Rose's face.

"And soon, there will be TWO Hobbits! Two! But I must go fetch him soon, ere he drowns!" The creature leaped back to the pool that led to the cave's underwater tunnel. But before he dove in, he turned back to the wet, befuddled Rose. Baring his teeth again, he raised his hand and said:

"I'll be right back...COUSIN!"

Then with a splash, he was gone.
Old 06-25-2002, 08:36 PM   #506
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

ooc:That's kinda what I ment for a team effort. Everyone being this creature when it suited the story. If you don't like this idea Sam then I'd be glad to go with somthing else::

As the creature dissapeared into the water Rose suddenly had alot on her mind. 'Cousin? And who was the other hobbit? Had it gotten Child, Frodo, Sam or Prim? And what did it want with hobbits. A family reunion?' Rose had once more the chance to study her surroundings. Was there any place where she could hide or lead to other caverns? And what did it do with her sword? She hoped that it had just put it somwhere so she couldn't get it but what if it had cast it into the sea? She'd never get it back. Rose started to explore.
Old 06-25-2002, 08:36 PM   #507
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Sam went pale, and he nearly fell out of the barrel.
Sam: Mister Frodo!!
He ran to the railing.

Stacey, hearing the splash and Sam's yell, turned her head in time to see the elder of the two Gamgees climbing up the railing.
Stacey: Sam! Sam, what are you--Samwise!!!

The little hobbit had reached the top of the railing and fallen over the side.

Stacey: *reaching the railing and looking over* Gamgee, you're head's as hard as a peice of fossilized lembas!!!

Looking down at herself, she remembered she was glad she'd changed from her soiled party clothes to what she'd assumed was some sort of Elven sailor's outfit (basically a jumper made out of a comfortable, light material she didn't know the name of) she looked over her shoulder at Child.

Stacey: [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]Might as well join the party...

She climbed onto the railing herself and jumped in.
Old 06-25-2002, 08:39 PM   #508
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Well, you folks go ahead. I see Birdie has already started playing along, so I'll keep out of it. Sorry I get confuzzled so easy. Just that you folks are all way better at this than me, and I don't want to mess anything up. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-25-2002, 09:01 PM   #509
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

ooc: Sam you never mess things up::
Old 06-25-2002, 09:06 PM   #510
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Oh, my, it's beautiful.........
Sam looked around himself. He had never seen such a beautiful shade of blue. Just then bubbles appeared in front of his eyes. He looked below him.

Mister Frodo!

But the elder hobbit was going the opposite direction, and it appeared as though he was clawing at the water.

Sam: What in the world......

Popping his head above water and sucking more air into his lungs, he went back under and tried that paddling that Miss Child had taught him. It was slow going, but he didn't stop.

Sam was amazed at how clear the water under there was. He caught sight of Mister Frodo again, and......

What was that?

Some odd thing had a hold of Frodo's ankle. It reminded Sam a bit of Gollum, except--it looked as if this thing had some sort of horns or something all over. Maybe the water was playin' tricks on his eyes.

The thing took Frodo down and down and down until finally, amidst a bunch of rocks, Sam saw a big hole. The thing swam inside.

Sam made ready to follow, when it felt as if something popped inside his ears.

What....?

Then his throat got tight and his chest burned. He needed air!

He tried turning around like he had before, but it was harder than when he was closer to the surface. Why was that?

He tried paddling again. It felt as if his chest were going to explode. An air bubble escaped from his mouth.

No...keep goin, Sam! Keep goin!

In his determination to catch up to Frodo, he had gone too deep. His lungs not only ached for air, but his brain did too. He felt dizzy.

Oh, no.....I'm sorry, Mister Frodo.....I'm sorry.......

He went limp in the water.
Old 06-25-2002, 09:11 PM   #511
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] OOC: Thanks bunches. I just feel funny a lot of the time 'cause so many of you folks seem to know exactly what you're doin'.
Old 06-25-2002, 09:17 PM   #512
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

As Rose searched in vain for her blade she heard the bubbling of water. She hastened back to where she had been when the creature had left her. But this time when it emurged it was draging somthing with it which it deposited on the ground. IT WAS FRODO. Forgeting the ominous creature Rose flung herself down beside the seemingly uncontious hobbit.
"Frodo. Frodo wake up." and as she patted his face softly his eyes flickered open.
Old 06-25-2002, 09:18 PM   #513
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Stacey had to come up for air again.

Where had that blasted little hobbit gone!?

"Miss Stacey?"

She looked up. Primrose was peering down at her from over the railing.

Prim: Miss Stacey, what's going on? Where are Uncle Frodo and Papa?

Stacey tried to concentrate both on her answer and on treading water when she squinted up at the figure beside Primrose.

"Mithadan!?"

Old 06-25-2002, 09:26 PM   #514
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

OOC: FYFI: Frodo's alter ego's in the process of moving, so that's why I've been playing him (her) at times...
Frodo blinked.
"R-Rose? Wha-what is this place?"

Then he caught sight of the creature. He sat bolt upright and grabbed Sting by the hilt.

"Who are you? What do you want with us!? "
Old 06-25-2002, 09:36 PM   #515
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

The little creature cowered, moving back on all fours. "Ah--do not hurt me--I am a cousin, cousin. "

It smiled, bearing teeth that didn't look so friendly.

Suddenly it tilted its head quizzically. The holes in the front of its face, which Frodo assumed to be its nose, twitched. It sniffed.

"Mmmm. 'Nother hobbit. 'Nother hobbit!"

Frodo watched in amazement and confusion as the creature flashed a toothy grin again and almost danced toward the water. It hopped in, and with a splash, it was gone.

Frodo looked quizzically up at Rose.
Old 06-25-2002, 09:52 PM   #516
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Birdie swam through the depths, searching everywhere for Rose, but she (or her body) had seemed to have disappeared without a trace.

She had circled farther and farther from the vessel, and was about a half-a-mile out when she heard the second splash, and realized that another person had gone into the water.

Turning, she saw a small murky figure swimming, then suddenly, the figure seemed to be grabbed and pulled strongly downward and away. Birdie turned in a flash speeding back to the area of the ship.

A few hundred yards away, she heard a third splash, and saw Samwise plunge into the water in a rush of bubbles. "So it must have been Frodo who went over the side before. But where IS everyone?!"

At that moment, Birdie saw a small figure swimming for Sam. The shape was man-like, but very small and covered with spines on the head and back. It swam strongly with arms and legs, almost as well as the Mer-Folk, and it was heading directly for Sam.

Birdie rushed in, putting her body between the fish-man and the halfling. Flipping around she slapped the creature sharply with her tail. It backed off with a trail of bubbles and a sharp hiss. Grimacing in pain, it circled around the skin-changer in dolphin form, and again made a grab for the body of Samwise...

(O.C.C. - OK Samwise. Your call. Do you want to make it back to the ship, or follow Frodo and Rose?)
Old 06-25-2002, 09:53 PM   #517
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

"Are you alright?" asked Rose. "How did you end up in the water. At least that thing didn't take Sting away."
Old 06-25-2002, 10:02 PM   #518
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

ooc:Hey Sam, why don't you come join us. It's um....fun down here. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Haha, just kidding, it's your choice.:
Old 06-25-2002, 10:03 PM   #519
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Frodo was quizzical again.
Frodo: "Take Sting? What do you mean? "

[ June 26, 2002: Message edited by: Samwise ]
Old 06-25-2002, 10:13 PM   #520
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

"That thing took my sword away!" she started to grow angry and Frodo looked worried. "Sorry but Pio gave it to me and it is a really good blade."