The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-14-2009, 10:25 PM   #521
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Aren't you nit-picking a bit? 'Now claims' meant after I voted for you. Was it that much of a reach to understand?
Why do you need to take such an insulting tone?
It is not a reach for me to understand. Your wording was misleading, so I corrected it, before someone could latch onto it and use it to build the bandwagon against me.

Quote:
I don't recall you voicing serious suspicions of Pitchwife before [b]Shasta[/B ] voted for him, beyond saying he was 'uncontroversial' and that made you uneasy.
Those were serious suspicions. I consider being uncontroversial and cautious one of the most wolvish things a person can do. Such players turn out to be wolves far more often than loose cannons like Hakon do.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:28 PM   #522
Mirandir
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mirandir is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure View Post
Enemy is reading, too. :x
Ugh that occurred to me in the shower, and believe me, I am bashing my head against the wall like it's my job. Which would probably be better than my actual job which will take me away for most of tomorrow again. Ugh.

On to Hakon-analysis!
Old 08-14-2009, 10:30 PM   #523
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
Why do you need to take such an insulting tone?
It is not a reach for me to understand. Your wording was misleading, so I corrected it, before someone could latch onto it and use it to build the bandwagon against me..
I could have worded it better. I should have said: 'Was it not clear enough what I meant'?

My apology if you found it too caustic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
Those were serious suspicions. I consider being uncontroversial and cautious one of the most wolvish things a person can do. Such players turn out to be wolves far more often than loose cannons like Hakon do.
All right.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:42 PM   #524
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
That's ok.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:45 PM   #525
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirandir View Post
Ugh that occurred to me in the shower, and believe me, I am bashing my head against the wall like it's my job. Which would probably be better than my actual job which will take me away for most of tomorrow again. Ugh.
Ah which reminds me I should probably make some form of official mod-ruling here.

Unless I missed someone, Lommy, Mira and Nerwen did not vote yesterday.

Lommy warned me well in advance about not being able to participate much in the first couple days. Plus she is with family and 'Downer guests, which I believe to be more important than checking into a game. So, her missed vote will not count towards the mod-fire rule.

Mira did give proper warning about business and possibly not being able to vote. Yet she did not make use of the ++No Vote rule that I put up in place, mostly for those reasons. So, Mira, if you do not vote today, you will be mod-fired. This is negotiable, but outside of spontaneously imploding, having your computer blow up, or some other serious reason, I doubt I'll change my mind.

Nerwen, has a habit of missing Day 1, but still with no reason provided as to why, the same will go for her. No vote today you'll be mod-fired. (Again this is negotiable, but again it will be difficult to change my mind).

If you care to hear why I am such a heavy stickler on voting, I can explain, but I doubt anyone wants to hear a Moderators grumbling about missing votes.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:57 PM   #526
alonariel
Wight

alonariel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to alonariel Send a message via MSN to alonariel Send a message via Skype™ to alonariel
Quote:
I feel confident at least one baddie is to be found among the Pitchwife voters, and probably the Hakon bandwagon too.
I think we gave the wolves too much on Day 1 - an inundation of posts and then a lot of seemingly innocent-on-innocent voting/disagreements. I'm sure the wolves jumped on the bandwaggons - either doing it skillfully enough so as not to draw suspicion, or deciding to simply tack on their vote near the end of the Day. Either way, we're royally screwed if we don't start sniffing them out.

Quote:
Formendacil- voted Mira for being annoying. (Mira 1)
Grrr to Form. Mira has a special brand of humor - it's rare and awesome.

Quote:
Alona- voted Hakon 'for the same reasons as Morm' did; said Hakon might be a Cobbler. (Hakon 2)
I voted Hakon mostly on the suspicion that he was abusing his newbie status, though I can see how the error of my ways. Unfortunately, it's a mistake both Rikae and I made, albeit with different people.

Quote:
Brinn- voted Morm, apparently beacuse she really wanted to vote the soon to be modfired Fea, but thought we'd hold it against her. (Morm 1)
Was she worried we might think something amiss with her if she voted for Fea? It doesn't seem the same panick Pitchwife experienced after he retracted his vote for me, only handled in a more deft way. I would've voted Fea if it meant saving either Lari, Pitchwife or Hakon.

Quote:
Durelin-voted Nessa because her posts seemed 'forced' and 'weird'. (Nessa 1)
She was rather sneaky last game. One to watch, I think.

Quote:
Me- I voted for Rikae because I saw her flip-flopping about the Fea-voting idea, and her insistence on using the surveys. She now claims that was a deliberate trap to snare baddies. (Rikae 1)
Good! I won't pretend that I have even the vaguest idea of how to set a trap, but the more the better.

That's all I have for now. I'm home for the night, and tomorrow's the weekend for me, so if anyone's still on, please post away!

Last edited by alonariel; 08-14-2009 at 10:58 PM. Reason: X'd with Inziladun
alonariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:59 PM   #527
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
!ydobyreve olleH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
Nerwen, has a habit of missing Day 1, but still with no reason provided as to why, the same will go for her. No vote today you'll be mod-fired. (Again this is negotiable, but again it will be difficult to change my mind).
Sorry, I'll be sure to vote toDay.

EDIT: X'd with Alona.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:02 PM   #528
Mirandir
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Analysis Part 2 of 3: Hakon

For the sake of my own sanity, I'm going to skip the meaningless banter posts from the first few pages.

Wants to know why morm said lynch phantom first in the admin thread.

Actually attempts analysis on Day 1.

Agrees with phantom's points (bear kill wolves, gifteds leave clues, psuedo-deadline)
thinks phantom is probably gifted

Contemplates importance of the surveys

Reeeally wants to look at surveys.

*insert lots of posts about the surveys and bantering with Rikae and a case of mistaken identity here*

Really started getting on a lot of people's nerves (especially Rikae's) with the whole survey business. Could he have been distracting from something else? Such as a slip he had made previously that I missed? Maybe.

/end mini-analysis

"I still think the bear can kill at least one person we are suspicious of."
Thinks the bear will help the village

*insert morm vote for Hakon*

Admits is very arrogant. What can he hope to gain from this, Mira wonders. Still thinks the village can convince the bear to do its bidding.

*insert Rikae getting really annoyed and threatening to vote Hakon out of sheer irritation*

"If we figure out who the bear is, the bear will either end up lynched or a wolf will kill it. So if we figure it out then during the night phase the bear can kill a possible cobbler or wolf since the second the next day phase starts the bear will most likely by lynched or the bear will die int he night phase because a wolf kills it."
Makes what I (and apparently Nerwen) think is a completely useless statement.

Still harping on the bear.

Says this topic is causing an unnecessary argument and we should focus on the wolves.

*insert morm retracting vote for Hakon and locking in vote for Hakon*

*insert somehow getting back on the topic of surveys which I thought we had already dealt with*

"For players I trust I think I had said Mac and Shasta. For players I distrust I think I had said Nessa and Inziladun."

Thinks Rikae's optimism about lynching a wolf Day 1 is because it happened in the past 2 games.

Feels people need to vote Fea or Hakon will die.

Responds to Rikae's analysis of mod-choosing of the roles about trusting and not trusting certain people and the likelihood of having feared or distrusted people as the seer.
"As for the wolves one is probably a feared, one is a distrusted person and the final one a trusted person."

*insert sally not wanting to discuss surveys*

*insert Rikae saying Hakon is a safe vote, easy lynch, and probably innocent*

Doesn't like morm's vote for him. Cites last game as reason why he shouldn't by lynched.

Agrees with Brinn that morm voted Hakon because of Hakon's comment about morm fearing phantom.

Likes the idea of voting Fea.

Wants Rikae to take Inzil off her suspicious list on the grounds that he has been around and contributing unlike some other people. If he wasn't a known ordo I would suggest he was trying to protect a fellow wolf.

Boro, when the cobbler is killed is his role revealed as such or as an ordo?

Suspicion list:
1. morm - nothing but a gut feeling
2. sally - might be cobbler
3. phantom - "He actually seems very innocent it just that he is very active and suggesting good ideas. In in my opinion that is the best way to hide being a wolf."
4. Rikae - might be bear

Thinks the bear is someone who talked about the bear a lot, such as Rikae.

Would like to know why Pitchwife finds Nessa the most cunning of the newbies.

Doesn't like autumne's wagon-vote for him.

Thinks Shasta makes a good point about Pitchwife

Votes Pitchwife to save himself.

~~~~~

The one solid connection I've found between the two dead that I've analyzed so far is that Rikae had a lot of interaction with both of them. This could be nothing or she could be evil. Hakon thought she might be the bear, but I seriously doubt that a Rikaebear would make such an obvious kill choice. The bear is probably someone who was annoyed by Hakon and his speculation about the bear role (or in general).

Last edited by Mirandir; 08-14-2009 at 11:02 PM. Reason: x-ed since my last post
Mirandir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:03 PM   #529
alonariel
Wight

Send a message via AIM to alonariel Send a message via MSN to alonariel Send a message via Skype™ to alonariel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
!ydobyreve olleH
GAH!

*ahem*

Hello, Nerwen!

Last edited by alonariel; 08-14-2009 at 11:04 PM. Reason: X'd with Nerwen
Old 08-14-2009, 11:06 PM   #530
alonariel
Wight

Quote:
The one solid connection I've found between the two dead that I've analyzed so far is that Rikae had a lot of interaction with both of them. This could be nothing or she could be evil. Hakon thought she might be the bear, but I seriously doubt that a Rikaebear would make such an obvious kill choice. The bear is probably someone who was annoyed by Hakon and his speculation about the bear role (or in general).
Or someone wants to frame Rikae...and then that begs the question, which players would be at an advantage if she were gone?
Old 08-14-2009, 11:10 PM   #531
Mirandir
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alonariel View Post
Grrr to Form. Mira has a special brand of humor - it's rare and awesome.
Awww <3 you! I don't blame Form though; he was having a rough day on top of hating Day 1 already. He did retract though, so I is not mad.

Quote:
Or someone wants to frame Rikae...and then that begs the question, which players would be at an advantage if she were gone?
Well, that would depend on if she's evil or not, now wouldn't it?

Okay, I'm off to do my analysis of Lari's posts now. Let's all take note that Mira is actually doing semi-decent contributions. Keep that in mind while I'm at work tomorrow afternoon. ^_^
Old 08-14-2009, 11:13 PM   #532
alonariel
Wight

Quote:
Awww <3 you! I don't blame Form though; he was having a rough day on top of hating Day 1 already. He did retract though, so I is not mad.

Quote:
Well, that would depend on if she's evil or not, now wouldn't it?

Okay, I'm off to do my analysis of Lari's posts now. Let's all take note that Mira is actually doing semi-decent contributions. Keep that in mind while I'm at work tomorrow afternoon.
Very true. And you're doing a really great job, Mira. Like doing what I should be doing since I have so much time this weekend!

Last edited by alonariel; 08-14-2009 at 11:18 PM. Reason: X'd with Mira
Old 08-14-2009, 11:18 PM   #533
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil View Post
Right, make no assumptions and don't narrow lists down artificially. Sorry the only other way to narrow down the list is to look at who is alive from one day to the next. Take my thoughts or not I don't really care but I will state what I am thinking, it may be useful to some. I, unlike you it would seem, need to narrow the list down to a mangegable size and think of most likely scenarios given teh evidence we have up to this point. Did not Aragorn and the hunters do the same with the puzzle of Merry and Pippin, they were fairly close but not 100%.

Of course the bear might not go for wolves but it would make the most sense for him to do so, don't you think? Who poses the greatest threat to him? Wouldn't he love it to have killed all but 1 wolf so they still get 2 kills and then as the list narrows kill the final off? It would make the most sense to me to eliminate most rivals now while the list is still big.
But Morm, you weren't just making a working assumption– you actually said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil View Post
Anyway, since the bear killed Hakon it's obvious he/she thought him to be a wolf.
Which is more than just narrowing down the possibilities, surely?

And in fact I can think of three other reasons off the top of my head:

1. The bear thought Hakon a newbie-gifted (erratic behaviour, nervousness).
2. The bear thought he was the cobbler (sidetracking the village with pointless speculation).
3. The bear thought Hakon had spotted him. Anyone else notice this?

#35.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakon View Post
I agree with all of that. Well people I am off now. I have a new suspect, but not for a wolf.
EDIT:X'd with Alona at #529.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:23 PM   #534
alonariel
Wight

Quote:
Possible...and I have another (newbie) question. Are we allowed to arrange our deaths in a manner that would leave clues for the good guys to figure out who killed us?

I hope I worded that right...

Last edited by alonariel; 08-14-2009 at 11:23 PM. Reason: X'd with Nerwen
Old 08-14-2009, 11:25 PM   #535
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by morm
Left out a key point here. I think Pitch dreamed of phantom and discovered that he was the Ranger or Hunter and they were able to talk at Night. Elaboration to come if wanted.
Definitely not wanted. What does an innocent morm gain from saying this? Hint - it's "nothing".
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:31 PM   #536
Mirandir
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Analysis Part 3 of 3: Lari

Mira is being super productive tonight! Yay!

Like with Hakon, I'm going to leave out the pointless bantering posts from the first few pages.

Likes phantom's ideas (bear help village kill wolves, gifteds leave clues, pseudo-deadline)

Agrees with Hakon that the surveys might help, but should not be discussed openly.
Responds to some other stuff Hakon says regarding the bear. Says trusts bear like a wolf.

More speculation about the surveys.
"I'm of the mind that one of the people we trusted most is a gifted, another is a wolf, and possibly a third is the bear."

Doesn't like voting for Fea because won't be able to analyze the votes toMorrow

List! (edited by Mira for importance)
Hakon - "Comes up with ideas and people jump down his throat. But some of the ideas are cheating as we have been told. Seems like a Day 1 lynch canidate because of this."
Mac - giving her bad feelings but doesn't know why
Rikae - seems innocent enough
sally - "Claims to be innocent. And keeps her Hakon votes. I’m leaning towards believing her if only because she is not looking like wolf!Sally."
phantom - essentially is phantom

Responds to Rikae's question about feelings on newbies
alona - trying hard and has well thought-out ideas
Hakon - getting on people's nerves
Nessa - can be sneaky, but doesn't think is a wolf
Tum - who knows?

*insert mini-debate with Nerwen about if Hakon is going to die*

*insert lots of vote tallies by Lari*

Votes Zil
"Zil hasn't been sounding so good since I last did my list. Its just a feeling I get from his posts. And since Mac's vote made him look more innocent to me I guess I'm going to vote for [Zil]"

~~~~~~

I have no idea what to draw from this, except maybe that the wolves thought she would be a trail-less kill. There wasn't any major controversy that might have led to a kill out of spite, so there's not really anyone to eliminate from the suspect list of who killed her. Chances are it was someone that she listed as probably being innocent. So might be phantom, Rikae, or Nessa. Following that logic, Mac is probably not a wolf.

Last edited by Mirandir; 08-14-2009 at 11:32 PM. Reason: x-ed since 532
Old 08-14-2009, 11:33 PM   #537
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
Possible...and I have another (newbie) question. Are we allowed to arrange our deaths in a manner that would leave clues for the good guys to figure out who killed us?
Sorry, I don't understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shastanis Althreduin View Post
Definitely not wanted. What does an innocent morm gain from saying this? Hint - it's "nothing".
That was Mira, not morm ...and I've been wondering whether to draw attention to it or not. Mac saw it earlier and was trying to shut her up.

EDIT:X'd with Mira.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:35 PM   #538
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

I have some more to say, but no time to say it right now. Back later.

!eybdooG

EDIT:removed extra E.

Last edited by Nerwen; 08-15-2009 at 12:43 AM.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:37 PM   #539
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
You're right, it was Mira. Sorry morm.

Also, one too many e's, newreN.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:37 PM   #540
alonariel
Wight

Quote:
Sorry, I don't understand.
I mean that, if an innocent is killed, are they able to choose the details of their death and leave hints in their death as to the player they think night-killed/lynched them?

EDIT: If this could be considered cheating, I will shut up now and never re-hatch the subject again.

Last edited by alonariel; 08-14-2009 at 11:39 PM. Reason: X'd with Nerwen
Old 08-14-2009, 11:39 PM   #541
Mirandir
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Very true. And you're doing a really great job, Mira. Like doing what I should be doing since I have so much time this weekend!
Thanks! I knew there was a reason I liked you.

Quote:
That would make the most sense, although could be considered a sloppy move. An experienced bear (or wolf, for that matter) wouldn't get jumpy at the first sign of being spotted. It is entirely plausible that a newbie bear would see possibly being spotted as more of a threat than it was and jump to make the kill before anything could come of it.

If my memory serves (and it probably doesn't), the only one that Hakon stated a clear bear suspicion of was Rikae.

Quote:

I hope I worded that right...
We don't have any say in how the narrations are done, so no. That's completely up to Boro and wilwa, although they might be so kind as to accept a suggestion as to the manner of death if you ask really nicely.

Last edited by Mirandir; 08-14-2009 at 11:39 PM. Reason: deleted response to Shasta because Nerwen already covered it
Old 08-14-2009, 11:43 PM   #542
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Finally here. I haven't read a word of the posts today. I am starting to read right now, and will respond as I go. For now- these are my thoughts.

Frankly I was hoping to be offed during the night and be done with this.

I said yesterday that throwing late votes on someone who couldn't defend himself properly was a perfect way to lynch a Gifted. Even earlier in the day I said that we should set an artificial deadline to avoid lynching gifteds. The idea was totally pooh-poohed.

When people suspected me for suggesting Fea as an option, I said "Why? At least we wouldn't off a gifted that way."

And finally Pitch I believe was the only person yesterday that I specifically said "hasn't been suspicious".

So yeah, um... I so badly want to say this certain phrase to everyone.... I'm trying to resist...

*grits teeth*
Old 08-14-2009, 11:46 PM   #543
alonariel
Wight

Quote:
That would make the most sense, although could be considered a sloppy move. An experienced bear (or wolf, for that matter) wouldn't get jumpy at the first sign of being spotted. It is entirely plausible that a newbie bear would see possibly being spotted as more of a threat than it was and jump to make the kill before anything could come of it.

If my memory serves (and it probably doesn't), the only one that Hakon stated a clear bear suspicion of was Rikae.
I'm inclined to agree that the bear in this game might be a newbie. Though I did vote for Hakon, I honestly didn't think him any more dangerous than the cobbler. I didn't have any suspicion as to who the wolves and/or bear was at the time, so that seemed like the best way to go (unfortunately).

It would make sense that the bear would keep around the wolves in an attempt to off a few ordos/gifteds, but then that does somewhat increase his/her chance of being night-killed... One thing I can be sure of, based on the bear's description in the Admin thread: s/he is looking out for Number #1 and no one else.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:47 PM   #544
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Back, but have a headache (again, dang it) so hopefully I won't be up much longer.

I feel rather dumb; I said yesterDay that if I needed to be lynched in order to save a gifted, so be it, so it should have tipped me off when Pitch voted me. I'm sure that wasn't really his reason (although I can't think what it might have been, since as I discussed earlier it didn't help him out votewise to throw one away on me) but I found it ironic.

In other news, I was going to suggest leaving Pitch for toDay since the suspicion of him jumped up so close to DL but I got kicked off the Downs (Boro can vouch, because I was on IM with him screaming to let me back on lol). Too late now, but I want my sentiment known.

Back again in a bit. Going to check out the weather, since it was storming on my way home a bit ago. Phantom, Tum, how's the weather for you? Anything pretty?

EDIT: x'd since Phantom
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:51 PM   #545
Mirandir
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
It would make sense that the bear would keep around the wolves in an attempt to off a few ordos/gifteds, but then that does somewhat increase his/her chance of being night-killed... One thing I can be sure of, based on the bear's description in the Admin thread: s/he is looking out for Number #1 and no one else.
I agree, but looking out for Number 1 can mean keeping around the ones that will serve you the best for as long as possible.

All righty, I am falling asleep here and am going to go ahead and vote now on the off chance that I don't make it back for deadline (I'm fairly certain I'll be around) since I certainly don't want to get modfired.

++Rikae

I'll probably end up retracting, since the more I think about it the less I think she's evil, but I need a placeholder for the time being. Goodnight!

Last edited by Mirandir; 08-14-2009 at 11:52 PM. Reason: xed with sally. Hindsight is 20/20, dear... <3
Old 08-14-2009, 11:58 PM   #546
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae
but because phantom once more made me look like a fool - this time by saying things, close to the deadline, that suggest he had Pitchwife figured for a likely gifted (I mean the bit about the flow going against him when he couldn't return, etc.)
I did not suspect Pitch was gifted necessarily- I just thought he wasn't guilty. I've never played with him and he didn't look jumpy or nervous to me at all. But then you've played with him before and say that he was, so I'll just have to believe you on that point.

My gripe about voting for him was that the votes were conveniently coming when he was absent, and so if he was a Gifted he had no chance to save himself. When I've been a baddie in the past that's exactly what I like to do if someone looks gifted- you wait for them to be gone and then make your move (like with Noggie in Shasta's game). I had made that point about not starting a late charge earlier in the game and I was angry that people were doing exactly what I had not advised them to do.

Doing that generally is disasterous. But anyway....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae
if he thought he was gifted, why didn't he save him when he could? Why make comments, and a throwaway vote, seemingly designed to make himself look good without saving Pitch?
Firstly, he didn't look gifted to me.

Second, my vote wasn't a throwaway. I brought you to within one of his total and there was still a definite chance you could've died instead. If Tum would've gone with you possibly Pitch would still be alive. And there were still retractions out there. And if I could've voted earlier and put feelers out for others who wanted to off you, I would've.

As far as why I didn't vote Hakon, I didn't really think he was guilty either. I believe I defended him on a couple of issues more than once yesterday. You were the one I was most curious about and I had a legit chance of lynching you.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that at the time I also didn't know precisely what the count was even. I believe I did not have one Pitch vote and Mac's vote for Inzil figured in. I was in a late meeting and I couldn't give much attention to my laptop.

So, clear?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inzil
phantom-voted Rikae for no reason given.
I gave my reasons earlier in the day, laddie.

Last edited by the phantom; 08-15-2009 at 12:20 AM. Reason: extra...
the phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:02 AM   #547
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Normally I'd not bother, but this is misrepresentation. I know Dun didn't mean any harm, but I wanna clear it up anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dun
Sally- voted Hakon, initially giving no reason. She then retracted and locked it in again for him, saying she would 'think clearer' when he was gone.
(Hakon 3)
I gave reasons earlier in the Day. Basically (to recap and also add, which I also tried to do at the end of the Day when the Downs died for me) I didn't like how he was starting/supporting side discussions, being overly defensive in my opinion, and generally giving off bad vibes to me. Basically a typical Day One vote, but at the time I felt pretty decent about it. (Obviously now I'm not as pleased with myself, since he wasn't a baddie, but it's the thought that counts.)

Didn't mean to side track, but I noticed that and wanted to clear it up for Dun's benefit.

I think I need to go to bed. You've got me for....twenty more minutes or so.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:12 AM   #548
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Silmaril

So I get here and everyone clams up. Bloody typical.

I'll be in my bunk.

(I'll be sleeping in quite late, if all goes to plan, and then I'm going to pop by to see my mother, so I'll be gone for a while but I will return in plenty of time to catch up, chat a bit, and of course vote.)
Old 08-15-2009, 12:14 AM   #549
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Mira- I agree with your analysis on page 13 that I was Pitch's most likely dream. He was smart and didn't make it obvious (the Seer should almost never hint at his first dream strongly), but he appeared to be setting himself up to side with me later. He stated that he liked what I was doing, and that he was scared of me coming into the game (making me a logical 1st dream). He also mentioned that he agreed that you should just go with Phantom and hope for the best.

I expect today he would have worded things more strongly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mira
Left out a key point here. I think Pitch dreamed of phantom and discovered that he was the Ranger or Hunter and they were able to talk at Night. Elaboration to come if wanted.
Um... okay... Not sure why you would even say that, for a host of reasons.

*frowns and scratches head*

Last edited by the phantom; 08-15-2009 at 01:09 AM. Reason: sp
the phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:18 AM   #550
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Okay...

So.

We killed our Seer. That's just lovely. Well, what can we learn from this?

*blinks*

That is a LOT of Day 1 to look at. Even cutting out the extraneous half dozen pages of mere banter, a lot of serious and interesting discussion took place, and the vote-record is, I'm thinking, possibly richer than usual for potential analysis.

Just a few thoughts for now--it's already tomorrow in my timezone.

First of all... Rikae has suggested lynching the phantom. I'm of two minds on this... First of all, not knowing the phantom's role, I tend to be extremely wary of him, so lynching him just to be clear of things has a really nice ring to it--and Rikae makes a plausible case, at least, about his failing to save Pitchwife, though clearly thinking him innocent.

On the other hand... normally I find myself alone in wanting the whole phantom question to solve itself and go away. So... I'm a bit leery. To her credit, Rikae is an old hand at this, and capable of being sensible, so it's not a surprise at all that, if someone else is going to get the anti-phantom bug, it'd be someone like her. Morm is also an old hand of that sort, and he, too, seems somewhat convinced.

So I'm spooked... normally I'm alone in seeing sense--or nonsense--where the phantom is concerned.

A second thought regards the kills... not much of a thought really... namely that we know the bear killed Hakon and the wolves killed Lari. Okay, so that's not exactly a revelation, but it's after midnight in my world (yes... I know... I have a touch of a cold even yet and should be abed....) and I'm trying to reason this through. Basically, it follows from this that, if we are able to figure out who was responsible for a particular kill, we'll be able to figure out if that's a Wolf or a Bear. And... that's as far as I got.

(Real Life Note: I'm at my parents now, for the weekend, for my Dad's 50th birthday party/extended family get-together. This may or may not affect my participation. Insofar as my family isn't all that stupendous, I expect I'll be online enough to contribute, but no promises... I did, after all, bring beer.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:28 AM   #551
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Braving the pain for a moment, I'd like to leave you something to think about.

Why would the bear kill Hakon, when (as I pointed out earlier) a few people, myself included, thought he could be the bear? If it was me I'd love to leave someone around who looked suspicious (which is I think why I don't get Night killed most of the time) so attention would be drawn away from myself. So what in the name of Joss Whedon () was the bear thinking? Was it random? Did they, as someone's pointed out recently, think that Hakon had perhaps picked them out? Did they fancy him for the seer? Was it just to mess with our heads?

Discuss lots while I'm gone. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

And with that, sorry I can't be more help at present but I have to go. Night!

ETA: And if Mira (or someone else for that matter) analyzed me while I was gone I'd be giddy!

Last edited by satansaloser2005; 08-15-2009 at 12:32 AM.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:39 AM   #552
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Some of you make me laugh. Let's see if I can sum up the situation.

"Phantom made suggestions that would benefit the innocents from the very beginning, tried to avert voting disaster with his advice and vote, was right about Pitch, was right to defend Hakon, and he's the likliest dream choice from the Seer. So... let's lynch him!"

If anyone who isn't a baddie votes for me today, Candor Man will ridicule you until the end of time.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:01 AM   #553
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
I mean that, if an innocent is killed, are they able to choose the details of their death and leave hints in their death as to the player they think night-killed/lynched them?
No, they're not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
Why would the bear kill Hakon, when (as I pointed out earlier) a few people, myself included, thought he could be the bear? If it was me I'd love to leave someone around who looked suspicious (which is I think why I don't get Night killed most of the time) so attention would be drawn away from myself. So what in the name of Joss Whedon () was the bear thinking? Was it random? Did they, as someone's pointed out recently, think that Hakon had perhaps picked them out? Did they fancy him for the seer?
Inconceivable.

The Seer was lynched yesterDay!

For possible reasons why the bear got Hakon, see my post at #533..
Old 08-15-2009, 01:05 AM   #554
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen, re: my post about Hakon and the bear
The Seer was lynched yesterDay!
Crap. I meant hunter, I think, or maybe ranger. Heck if I know, but I obviously didn't mean seer. Thanks, Nerwen, I knew I messed something up when I typed that, I just couldn't for the life of me remember what it was.

*crashes for good this time hopefully*
Old 08-15-2009, 01:29 AM   #555
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
I'm inclined to agree that the bear in this game might be a newbie.
I'm not sure; even an experienced player might have killed him to be on the safe side. Whether Hakon had actually spotted him or not (unlikely, given how early that post was), if the bear bought it, the rest of Hakon's bear-talk might look like an attempt at blackmail– "I know who you are, so help us out or I'll tell". (A very ill-advised attempt, mind you– anyone but a newbie would have known that was suicidal.)

This all just speculation. There are several other reasons why Hakon might have been killed. However, if I'm right about this, it would point to the bear being among the early posters.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:33 AM   #556
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

I'm still feeling grumpy and I'm tempted to just go mum the rest of the day and show up at the deadline and attempt to tie the vote no matter who is on the chopping block, just to make Boro use his coin. I think it'd be funny to have a tie every day. Very random.

But no... I can't let myself do that. I ought to at least have a look at the voting and make some guesses. We already know that two of the top suspects were innocent, so what the vote can tell us will be limited.

Alon came under very slight threat halfway through, and so if she's guilty the Pitch voters don't look so good.

Rikae was threatened right at the deadline, so if she is guilty Tum rushing in and retracting her Hakon vote in favor of padding Pitch's lead (effectively saving Rik's skin) looks extremely suspicious.

If Alon and Rikae are both innocent then we basically don't have anything at all, except for the fact that with Hakon safely out front from the beginning the villains would be free to start wagons for different candidates.

That's all for now. I'm supposed to be waking up in a few hours. After all of my tasks are done I will return. Most likely I'll be around for large portions of the final six hours. See ya.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:34 AM   #557
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom View Post

Well, now that's definitely out in the open... thoughts on Mira? I mean, she's hardly a newbie anymore.

EDIT:X'd with tp.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:47 AM   #558
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Okay then... One more post before sleepy time...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mira
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen
Well, now that's definitely out in the open... thoughts on Mira? I mean, she's hardly a newbie anymore.
From my point of view it doesn't look like her comment was an error. She had to have done it on purpose, due to the fact that she appears to be making rules up. I see nothing in the rules about the Seer and Ranger/Hunter PMing. Perhaps it was supposed to be some sort of trap? I dunno... No idea what to think.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:16 AM   #559
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
As I'm sure he agrees...

YOU WILL CURSE THE DAY YOU DID NOT DO, ALL THAT THE PHANTOM ASKED OF YOU.*

But seriously, people. How could you let this happen? Any innocents who voted Pitchwife, or simply contributed towards his lynching, I hope you've given yourselves a good spanking.

After the events of yesterDay and his reaction toDay, I'm almost inclined to trust the phantom. Of course, that probably means he's evil.

Won't say much more tonight, as it is very late. I might post some in the morning and will definitely be around at some point in the evening...and I think I should be here for deadline this time.

*I just saw the show on Broadway last night and when I heard this line sung, I sensed it may become relevant to this game. So of course I just had to mention it.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:58 AM   #560
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
From my point of view it doesn't look like her comment was an error. She had to have done it on purpose, due to the fact that she appears to be making rules up. I see nothing in the rules about the Seer and Ranger/Hunter PMing.
No, there's nothing.

Quote:
Perhaps it was supposed to be some sort of trap?
Wee-elll, last game (which Mira co-modded), Hakon accidentally caused Borowolf to give himself away in just this way... but that was an extraordinary slip on Boro's part; he himself called it "the worst mistake I ever made". Surely she wouldn't think the chance of it working twice in a row outweighed the obvious risk?