The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-20-2010, 08:15 PM   #5801
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Person? –yes.
Mortal? –yes.
Human? –sort-of.
Half-Elven? –no.
1st Age? –no.
3rd Age? –yes.
Nazgûl? –no.
Hobbit? –yes!
Male? –no.
Rosie Cotton –no.
Speaking part? –no (for good reason)!
Melilot Brandybuck? –no.
Esmeralda Brandybuck –no.
Deceased? –yes.
Elanor Gamgee? –no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55
And Esmeralda is Rory Brandybuck's daughter-in-law. I don't think she's Merry's mom.
*cough* The two are not mutually exclusive.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:48 PM   #5802
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I'm running out of ideas! Is it Gollum's beloved grandmother?
Eseralda could be Merry's mom, you are right. We don't know that for sure, though.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:49 PM   #5803
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Person? –yes.
Mortal? –yes.
Human? –sort-of.
Half-Elven? –no.
1st Age? –no.
3rd Age? –yes.
Nazgûl? –no.
Hobbit? –yes!
Male? –no.
Rosie Cotton –no.
Speaking part? –no (for good reason)!
Melilot Brandybuck? –no.
Esmeralda Brandybuck? –no.
Deceased? –yes.
Elanor Gamgee? –no.
Gollum's grandmother? –no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55
Esmeralda could be Merry's mom, you are right. We don't know that for sure, though.
Well, we do, actually. Check the family tree. You'll find her as "Esmeralda Took" (maiden name).

Last edited by Nerwen; 11-20-2010 at 09:55 PM. Reason: clarification.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:53 AM   #5804
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I don't have the family tree in my translation. New fact for me!

It's a deceased female hobbit. Belladona Took, Bilbo's mom?
Old 11-21-2010, 12:04 PM   #5805
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Or if it's not Belladonna, what about Primula Baggins née Brandybuck, Frodo's mom?
Old 11-21-2010, 04:24 PM   #5806
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Thumbs up

You've got it, Pitch!
Old 11-22-2010, 10:35 AM   #5807
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Thanks, Nerwen!
I've got something; open fire.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:53 PM   #5808
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

person?
Old 11-23-2010, 08:16 AM   #5809
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Person? - Yes.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:49 AM   #5810
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

mortal?
Old 11-23-2010, 09:22 AM   #5811
Almesiva Moonshadow
Animated Skeleton

Almesiva Moonshadow has just left Hobbiton.
Mortal from the Third Age???
Old 11-23-2010, 09:50 AM   #5812
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almesiva Moonshadow View Post
Mortal from the Third Age???
That's two questions at once.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:56 PM   #5813
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Person? - Yes.
Mortal? - That's actually up to speculation. Most probably not.
...from the Third Age? - No. (Meaning neither mortal, nor from the Third Age.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen
That's two questions at once.
Hm, I suppose I could technically have taken it as a single question and answered negative if it was, say, an Elf from the Third Age... But I'm not so mean.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:33 PM   #5814
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

here I go again...

halfelven?
Old 11-25-2010, 04:21 PM   #5815
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Person? - Yes.
Mortal? - No.*
...from the Third Age? - No.
Halfelven? - No.

*(Sorry if my earlier answer to this was misleading. If you take 'mortal' to mean Man and/or Hobbit, including hybrids like Halfelves, it's a clear No. If it just means 'liable to die some natural death', it's by the most common interpretation of this character still a No. Hope this clears things up a bit.)
Old 11-25-2010, 04:27 PM   #5816
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Mortal could also mean dwarf, can't it?

Anyways, is it an Ent?
Old 11-25-2010, 04:45 PM   #5817
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Person? - Yes.
Mortal? - No.
Halfelven? - No.
Is it an Ent? - No.

(And yes, in the second, wider sense a Dwarf would be mortal, too, if you're a pedant with words and their meanings like I am - hence my occasional difficulties in answering questions like that with a simple 'yes' or 'no'.)
Old 11-25-2010, 06:12 PM   #5818
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I don't blame you one bit, Pitch.
Was that person evil?
Old 11-26-2010, 02:06 AM   #5819
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Person? - Yes.
Mortal? - No.
Halfelven? - No.
Is it an Ent? - No.
Was that person evil? - Unambiguously yes!
Old 11-26-2010, 06:18 AM   #5820
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Just a shot in the dark - Mouth of Sauron?
Old 11-26-2010, 08:12 AM   #5821
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Person? - Yes.
Mortal? - No.
Halfelven? - No.
Is it an Ent? - No.
Mouth of Sauron? - Nah. He was a) a Black Numenorean, i.e. a Man, and thus mortal, even if artificially long-lived; and b) from the Third Age.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:08 PM   #5822
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

was it by any chance a dragon?
Old 11-26-2010, 02:41 PM   #5823
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Person? - Yes.
Mortal? - No.
Halfelven? - No.
Is it an Ent? - No.
Mouth of Sauron? - No.
Was it by any chance a dragon? - No.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:55 PM   #5824
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I'm probably overcomplicating things and just going in circles around the answer, and then someone else will coe and casually announce it. That happens to me all the time!

Just to clarify: When you say that s/he is most likely immortal, but it is questionable, do you mean that s/he's not an ainu or elf? Because they're immortal for sure, aren't they?
Old 11-26-2010, 04:28 PM   #5825
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Just to clarify: When you say that s/he is most likely immortal, but it is questionable, do you mean that s/he's not an ainu or elf? Because they're immortal for sure, aren't they?
*sigh*
Remember I'm supposed to answer only with Yes or No, and one question at a time? If only I'd stuck to that above...
What I meant is exactly what I said. Illustration: Suppose the person I was thinking of were Tom Bombadil, and you had asked me whether it's an Ainu, what would you have expected me to answer?
Old 11-26-2010, 05:08 PM   #5826
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Female?
Old 11-26-2010, 05:38 PM   #5827
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Person? - Yes.
Mortal? - No.
Halfelven? - No.
Is it an Ent? - No.
Mouth of Sauron? - No.
Female? - Yes!
Old 11-26-2010, 06:53 PM   #5828
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Ungoliant?
Old 11-27-2010, 05:09 PM   #5829
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Person? - Yes.
Mortal? - No.
Halfelven? - No.
Is it an Ent? - No.
Mouth of Sauron? - No.
Female? - Yes!
Ungoliant? - Sorry, no. (But I see you got my meaning!)
Old 11-28-2010, 09:14 PM   #5830
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Thuringwethil?
Old 11-29-2010, 03:49 AM   #5831
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Thumbs up

You've got it, Nerwen - Thuringwethil it is! Take over, please.

(Explanation for Galadriel55 about the mortality question: Most sources I've consulted seem to assume Thuringwethil was some sort of corrupted Maia, and as such, she would of course be immortal; but Tolkien himself never really tells us what kind of being she was, only that she acted as Sauron's messenger and took the form of a vampire bat, so it's at least conceivable she was some other creature - maybe a real bat corrupted and enhanced by sorcery, or something like Beorn's dark cousin six millennia removed. Sorry for the confusion!)
Old 11-29-2010, 06:16 AM   #5832
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Nerwen, you've got here just before I could! I thought of Thuringwethil yesterday, but I didn't have access to the computer until now. Ah well.
Person?
Old 11-29-2010, 06:45 AM   #5833
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Yes.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:19 AM   #5834
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Evil?
Old 11-29-2010, 04:14 PM   #5835
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

lived in 1st age?

Last edited by Galadriel55; 11-29-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:19 PM   #5836
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Evil? –No.
First Age? –No.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:28 PM   #5837
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

mortal?
Old 11-29-2010, 08:01 PM   #5838
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Yes.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:22 PM   #5839
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Alive during the Second Age?
Old 11-29-2010, 08:47 PM   #5840
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

No.