The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-23-2005, 06:17 PM   #41
hobbit girl

Tolkien Grrr!

I checked "this" out, & while I agree with most of it there was one comment I simply could not abide!

This was that Elijah Wood be taken out and shot.

NEVER!!!!

Elijah is my favorite character in the movies, though admittedly not in the books, and I must with some shame admit that Elijah and my questions about his fate are what even caused me to read the books back in '02, though I soon grew to love them for their own merit.

His blue eyes are MAGICAL and I have pictures of him all over my room. He was my very first celebrity crush and I LOVE ELIJAH!

*out*
Old 01-23-2005, 06:51 PM   #42
Assasin
Wight

Assasin has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I wonder if Peter/Kiwi is going to make The Hobbit. He said he might after he was done with a remake of Godzilla. After he's done watching some nut chasing a cast of actors around in a spandex suit, who knows if he'll still be sane? Frodo's got a freaky scream. His eyes are the only reason worth keeping him. Jackson should make the Hobbit, so me and my friends can huddle together for body warmth on the cement again at the premiere. *Sigh* It's so painful, but so fun.
Assasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 11:49 PM   #43
Dragon Reborn
Pile O'Bones

Dragon Reborn has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien About the Hobbit...

I thought that PJ was defenitely doing the Hobbit! But everyone else here sounds so uncertain, so now I'm confused (I thought the people here would know for sure!). I heard it was coming out December (?) 2006. That's next year.

Hmmm, I say that for those who leave the downs after the movies disintegrate (so to speak)- fair enough. As we've all been saying, the true fans will live on. The others may come and pass as they will.

Oh and btw, can I sense some movie-born v's book-born rivalry here? I personally saw the movies first. I watched FOTR in the cinema and proceeded to read the Hobbit and the start of the Fellowship before watching it in the movies another two times. I have read the Silmarillion once as well. But like everyone else here, I am a die-hard fan of Tolkien (I'm learning Quenya, it's so exciting!). If anything I have a deep respect for the movies only because they nurtured a fascination and awe in me that gave me the motivation to read all the books.

So hey, the movies aren't so bad!
Old 01-24-2005, 12:05 AM   #44
gorthaur_cruel
Haunting Spirit

gorthaur_cruel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
I thought that PJ was defenitely doing the Hobbit! But everyone else here sounds so uncertain, so now I'm confused (I thought the people here would know for sure!). I heard it was coming out December (?) 2006. That's next year.
Peter Jackson wants to make the Hobbit, but Christopher Tolkien is against it. Since he holds the right to make the films, there's no plan of the Hobbit actually being made yet. Right now, Peter Jackson's working on King Kong (not Godzilla, as Assassin said). The thing you probably saw was the fake Hobbit trailer floating around.
gorthaur_cruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 12:20 AM   #45
Dragon Reborn
Pile O'Bones

Dragon Reborn has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien riiiiiight

Thankyou! I have been wandering around telling people that it was coming out but this was misled information! Oops!
Old 01-24-2005, 01:27 AM   #46
Assasin
Wight

Tolkien

Thanks for the King Kong thing. Isn't the reason Christopher Tolkien stopped PJ, because he thought the other movies weren't true to the books, and he thought they would twist the Hobbit up too? (Correct me if I'm wrong.) I hope PJ has fun living out his dreams, but after that, WILL HE PLEASE FIGHT FOR THE HOBBIT!!!!!!!
Assasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 07:53 AM   #47
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

The dispute over the making of a film of The Hobbit is nothing to do with Christopher Tolkien or the Tolkien Estate. Tolkien himself sold the film rights to the book (together with the film rights to LotR) during his lifetime. The dispute is between New Line, which has the rights to make the film, and MGM, which has the rights to distribute it. As far as I am aware, it remains unresolved.

As for Jackson, according to recent press reports, he is planning on filming Lovely Bones (based on the book by Alice Sebold) once he has finished work on King Kong.

So, I would say that December 2006 is looking optimistic, unless New Line can resolve the dispute with MGM and find a different director.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:09 PM   #48
Assasin
Wight

Tolkien

December 2006 is VERY optimistic. PJ can't make two movies in two years. Unless the movies are very poorly done. Which, PJ doesn't make very poorly done movies, so Dec. 2006? I don't think so.