The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-30-2007, 03:09 PM   #41
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thursday-Monday break it is, then.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:31 PM   #42
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meneltarmacil
Thursday-Monday break it is, then.
But will it start before Thursday in the first place?

Okay people, a game to go for! C'mon! Don't be shy!

Let's get the thing rolling... it's so much fun when it begins.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 03:34 PM   #43
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Okay, either we get fifteen people over this weekend or I'm starting Night One this Sunday at 5:00 Eastern Daylight time with whoever's signed up by then. I'm getting just as tired of waiting around as you all are.

EDIT: I'm also going to PM a few people, as has been suggested earlier.

Last edited by Meneltarmacil; 03-30-2007 at 03:38 PM.
Meneltarmacil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 03:38 PM   #44
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
And try to send some persuasive PMs to likely candidates for playing, it really helped last time (speaking of personal experience... otherwise I wouldn't be probably even here today!)

EDIT: Seems like I crossed with your editing, or is that you so quickly took my advice?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 03:47 PM   #45
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc
EDIT: Seems like I crossed with your editing, or is that you so quickly took my advice?
Advices are quickly taken, but who knows of the results and what is to follow?
Old 03-30-2007, 03:56 PM   #46
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
Advices are quickly taken, but who knows of the results and what is to follow?
Are you hinting at something, Nogrod? Good we have the smilies, otherwise I'd say that I don't like your tone
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 03-30-2007, 08:14 PM   #47
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Question: Why do I have an asterisk by my name on the list?

I'm glad to see we'll be taking a break for Easter. It'll actually have no huge affect on me (except for the fact I might be doing my film shoot that weekend), but as I suspected, it can be a conflict for many others.

Oh yes, do PM as many members as possible...I'd love to see more players join before we start..
Old 03-30-2007, 08:19 PM   #48
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sorry, it should have been on Lommy's name. I've gone back and edited it.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:44 AM   #49
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Well I take that to mean you are OK with me playing ..and with a pause to allow for fammilial eventualities...... take that asterisk away Menel - I'm in..

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 05:24 AM   #50
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Hmm. When you say you're starting "This Sunday" does that mean tomorrow? If so, I'm in.

And if I'm in, my profession shall be Baker. We all need baked goods, otherwise society would collapse.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 05:31 AM   #51
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by the guy who be short
Hmm. When you say you're starting "This Sunday" does that mean tomorrow? If so, I'm in.

And if I'm in, my profession shall be Baker. We all need baked goods, otherwise society would collapse.
That's cool, we have a miller already, the only thing we need is some farmer...

Anyway, I'll really be happy to see you on board, tgwbs!
Old 03-31-2007, 05:43 AM   #52
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
That's cool, we have a miller already, the only thing we need is some farmer...
We can collect our wheat from the wild! Problem solved.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 08:23 AM   #53
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

tgwbs has been added, bringing the number of players (not including the moderator) to 13.

Sign-ups will be closed starting Sunday morning at 12:00 AM Eastern time (I won't make a post then though). Roles will be sent out between then and 5:00 PM Eastern time, and Night One will begin at 5. You may still choose occupations until then, though if you don't have one by Night One, I'll make one up for you.

Good luck... (sounds of thunder, lightning, and creepy music)
Old 03-31-2007, 09:40 AM   #54
xyzzy
Haunting Spirit

xyzzy is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
Ooh, I can't wait! I just got killed in a game yesterday. It was annoying, too. I was a freaking troll! You can't kill a troll!
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 10:10 PM   #55
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Well, looks like I'll be making a post after all.

Sign-ups for this game are now officially CLOSED. Night 1 begins at 5:00 PM Eastern time. Roles will be sent between now and then. If you don't choose an occupation by then, I'll choose one for you. As for myself, my occupation will be Time Traveler from the Future.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:55 PM   #56
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Well, I suppose I should choose a career, then. Confusticate and bebother it, I'm always late for everything, but this time, I'll be ahead of the game. In honor of one of my favorite celebs, I am the "anachronistic motion capture actor". I have absolutely nothing to do, since motion capture won't be invented for several ages yet, but I get to wear a nifty gimp suit and dots on my face.
Let's hunt some werewolf!
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 10:56 AM   #57
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
is the game page up? for if it is then i have lost it...
Old 04-01-2007, 10:59 AM   #58
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I shall be something simple and useful for a change (unless Menel has chosen something more exotic ).

I shall be a potter.

Old 04-01-2007, 05:42 PM   #59
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Just to be on the safe side...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel at 22.42GMT
The Day/Night transition will take place at 5:00 PM Eastern time. I was about an hour and 45 minutes late here, mostly due to connection issues.
So this means that the deadline is 9PM GMT? Sorry, but most of us Europeans are much more comfortable with the GMT than with the different American timezones (we have different zones here in Europe also and need to calculate them too).

Last edited by Nogrod; 04-01-2007 at 05:45 PM.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:20 PM   #60
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Wow. My internet has been down for almost a week, and I was seriously worried I'd missed Day 1 and been killed for it... It seems we got things working just in time.

Quote:
So this means that the deadline is 9PM GMT?
That would be correct.

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:00 AM   #61
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Don't expect much activity from me on Day1. As probably everyone knows nowadays, I have no net access home. Tomorrow (RL) it's the exam week in my school and I have no school at all. No school = no school computers. I will go to a library to be around here (in BD) for some time, but as I have to study for the next exams and I've promised to see my friends, my library visits will most probably be limited to one visit of one or two hours.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:41 AM   #62
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Leaf - a reminder -

Remember to turn yourselves invisible, fellows! *glares at the lousy magician*
Old 04-02-2007, 01:25 PM   #63
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Just to be on the safe side...

So this means that the deadline is 9PM GMT? Sorry, but most of us Europeans are much more comfortable with the GMT than with the different American timezones (we have different zones here in Europe also and need to calculate them too).
Err but is that Eastern standard time ie -5GMT or are you on daylight saving? UK is now on British Summer Time GMT +1

I had a panic becasue I couldn't connect to the downs last night, drove to a cybercafe in lunchtime..to find it was still night.....

So just to clarify the easter break ..we will have day 2 finishing on Thursday and then a what very long night? I want to organise various social events around it but my RL friends funnily enough don't understand that my availability is dependent on WW s ...

Old 04-02-2007, 02:43 PM   #64
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Well, I am on Daylight Savings Time here in the U.S., so the transition will be at 9:00 PM GMT. GMT -5 is Eatern Standard Time, while Daylight Savings Time is GMT -4. If you're on GMT +1, it's a 5-hour difference though.

With people from Europe and even Australia around in addition to myself in the eastern USA, it seems the sun never sets on this game...
Old 04-03-2007, 01:33 PM   #65
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod in the game thread
We do have an hour and a half I presume? With daylight savings GMT is not the same as English time, remember? Or then I'm totally wrong and we are in a hurry.
Judging from this and many others' questions, would please someone who is more sure than us state the correct time of deadline in GMT?

P.S. It would be good if Menel also posted the correct time of deadline, because from what is up there I am kinda confused. I thought Menel, as well as most of us (confused Europeans) is on Daylight saving time, so the time difference is still the same, so our time is just Menel's +5/+6 (CET).
Old 04-03-2007, 01:35 PM   #66
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
According to the time on Menel's last Day One-post, 1 hour 25 minutes should be left.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:41 PM   #67
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure
According to the time on Menel's last Day One-post, 1 hour 25 minutes should be left.
That's just the problem, cf. above - I suggest we wait for Menel when he posts the correct time. Because from this I was not wise at all.

Until then, if he does not suddenly say "Deadline", I'll count with what you said
Old 04-03-2007, 01:46 PM   #68
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Menel, do you have anything in mind concerning the removal of players who don't show up?

Will they be removed by you or is it our job to - "care" - for them?

edit: 1000th post!! *faints*
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 02:01 PM   #69
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I live in Boston, and therefore go by EST. Right now it is 4:00 on the dot, so I can guarantee you, we have one more hour.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:05 PM   #70
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

This Day phase ends in one hour. I'm not entirely certain what the relationship is between different time zones, but the Day will end in one hour.

I don't really have a policy on no-shows. If you don't want them around, go ahead and send them to the gallows.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:14 PM   #71
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
i liked the idea of no shows getting the gallows...

edit: 4439th post!
Old 04-03-2007, 03:15 PM   #72
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Oh come on!! Stoned to death!? Sheez!! And it was my first time being a Wolf too!! Like come on!!

So, does this mean I get to join the club??
Old 04-03-2007, 03:18 PM   #73
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Glirdan, as funny as that was, you're dead. Please do not post on these threads until after the game.

Still, you are officially a Fenris Wolf now.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:39 PM   #74
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Sorry about not being around until the last minute - somehow, amid all the discussion of time zones, I got the impression the day ended at 7! I don't know why...it's especially imbecilic on my part because I'm actually in the same time zone as Menel, so there should have been no problem. Again, sorry!
Old 04-03-2007, 03:59 PM   #75
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Actually, I had so much trouble getting to the Barrow-Downs yesterday that I had to wait a while before I posted the "start of day" message. I tried to make it clear in that message that I was late, but I guess I should have made it clearer. So it's kind of my fault as well, Rikae.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:29 PM   #76
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

1420!

Don't worry, Menel, it wasn't you...I think I somehow got the difference between Pacific time & EST mixed up with the difference between EST and GMT, calculated from GMT and added an hour for daylight saving - or something equally convoluted. This might make more sense considering I may have been on my 3rd glass of "hard Gollum juice"* when I read about it.

*Honey, lemon, ginger & vodka, on the rocks.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:17 PM   #77
xyzzy
Haunting Spirit

xyzzy is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
I'm having so many noobish moments.

Anyway, with the "He's not posting, he's evil" argument... hmm, no real immediate rebuttal, just a greater show of activity in future times. Luckily, I'm not powerful, so if I get mauled, all the more chance for the rest of the innocents to find the WW's without risking important players. So go ahead, maul me before you maul a dreamer or someone powerful...
Part of the reason I'm not very active right now is the extremely different style of play here from most places were I play WW; I'm still getting used to gameplay here.

Now to go analyze how much people post in each thread; that's an interesting but almost useless statistic which everyone must record.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:39 PM   #78
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Psst, Xyzzy....

Save rebuttals and accusations for the game thread. Right now the admin thread is for strictly out of game issues- such as schedule problems that require you to be away from the game for a while, etc.

We strictly ban references to roles, etc, on this thread. We don't discuss what's happening in the game thread except on the game thread and only during Day phases. You'll know when the Day starts, because Menel will post on the game thread, letting us know what happened during the night.

Perhaps you should PM Menel with how you usually play werewolf, and he can help you figure out where it's different.

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 01:54 AM   #79
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

How exactly is the pause going to be? Are we going to play day2 before easter or not? And on which day, Monday or Tuesday, will we continue? I'm slightly confused...
Old 04-04-2007, 05:55 AM   #80
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Day Two will begin about 9 hours from now. The pause will come at the end of that Day, and will end 5:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time (that's 10:00 for GMT +1, these timezones are driving me crazy, people being from at least 6 different countries and all...) on Monday with Night 2.