The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-01-2008, 11:46 AM   #81
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

It seems a bit similar to my character. He'll be without a sense of humour, and a trendy who has little knowledge of Tolkien. I'm looking forward to playing this.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:42 PM   #82
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinn
I read all the FlameWarrior roles today and some of them are really funny.
They're especially delicious after a heated WW game. I recommend it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mith
I think I will try therapist or?
The therapist is a good role. I was going to pick it, but I thought it was too close to some of the other roles people would chose later and because I'd ruin it being myself.
So, you should keep it.

Target I believe is one that we all can play in WW, eventually. Tireless Rebutter is always at home here though too.

Oh, and an apology for being confusing with my earlier reply. I had a job interview that day, for one that wouldn't be a complete waste of time, so I was a bit anxious and all over the place. The good thing is, I ended up with the job, and I can still play WW.

~ Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:42 PM   #83
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
This looks to be a fun game. I'm sorry I won't be around for it; I've never played with a cobbler before.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:51 AM   #84
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe Bloody hell.

Bloody Angamandi. Formendaga is playing?!?!

Bring out the . . . I don't know, pitchforks?

We are, after all, sworn enemies. (Sorta . . . )

Capers madly in the Canadian tongue*.

The plot, cut, defeated.
I intend to copy this sig forever - so far so good...
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:03 AM   #85
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
*sneaks in*

Hahaha, congratulations, Brinn!

I'm sorry I can't be around to see the return of Formendacil to the Werewolfing world, but maybe it's better that way...beats me how. *shrugs*
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:22 AM   #86
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE Ka View Post
They're especially delicious after a heated WW game. I recommend it.

The therapist is a good role. I was going to pick it, but I thought it was too close to some of the other roles people would chose later and because I'd ruin it being myself.
So, you should keep it.

~ Ka

Oh I would be quite happy being an Archivist or any of various others .. so I am quite happy for you could take it ..or one of us could be Freudian and the other Jungian!!!

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:44 PM   #87
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
McCaber, can I remove the question mark from your name?

Also, Kath and Sally still need to decide on character roles. If you don't by the end of Night 1, I will choose them for you!

And of course, if there are any last stragglers that want to sign up you still have a few more hours..
Old 07-02-2008, 01:41 PM   #88
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mith
or one of us could be Freudian and the other Jungian!!!
Then we'd become duelists.

Hmm, I guess I could mesh therapist with artful dodger. As in, anyone else trying to analyze my thoughts would be met with a complete change of subject and lost in another subject entirely.

Archivist could work pretty well with therapist too, come to think of it. You'd be a very evil therapist though, since no one could phase that they 'don't remember' what they said six pages ago and how it has anything to do with their current mental state. It would be like having a session with a therapist you can't slip up. Ouch.

Okay, I think we'd still butt heads. Awesome! Dueling therapists!
Or, work together some how. Hmmm.

Sorry if I'm making your job harder Brinn...

~ Ka
Old 07-02-2008, 03:52 PM   #89
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Just a note to everyone:

Night 1 starts in a little more than an hour.

I am running late to an appointment so I must leave shortly. Never fear, I'll be back in time to start the Night. But however, I ran out of time to send out the roles...so they won't be sent out until Night 1 begins. It shouldn't cause any problems, but just in case anyone wonders why they haven't received a PM...
Old 07-02-2008, 03:56 PM   #90
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I will be a bit quieter the first one or two Days - if I'm alive that is - as I got a fast-option to go and meet my father in the east of Finland. I will be there from Friday to Monday-Tuesday. There is a net connection there and I will most certainly play, but understandably I will not be lurking around all the time but meeting also my old friends.

Just for you to know...

PS. I can be the Lacanian therapist trying to overcome both the Freudian and the Jungian one...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 05:25 PM   #91
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen
I'm sorry I can't be around to see the return of Formendacil to the Werewolfing world, but maybe it's better that way...beats me how. *shrugs*
Oh, come now, little sister... of everyone on this thread, this should come as the least surprise to you (well, other than Brinniel, but that goes without saying). I mean, I know that you've actually seen my summer itinerary, and know where I was this weekend past.

Anyway, with no absence of internet like last summer, school finally over (and good riddance!), and my continental wanderings abated... I have time for the first time in two years (although barely...) and in need of a motive to enjoy sitting at home in the evenings.

*officially shutting up on the admin thread... it is after game start, after all*
Old 07-02-2008, 05:33 PM   #92
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
As for the deadline...

Do we go by real or the Downs time, which seems to be seven minutes off?
Old 07-02-2008, 06:02 PM   #93
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

All the roles have been sent out! Everyone should have a PM from me in their inbox.

McCaber, I put you in the game assuming that the words "erasable marker" (versus pencil) means you are more likely in than out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir
Do we go by real or the Downs time, which seems to be seven minutes off?
I'd rather go by real time, but unfortunately everyone's clocks are different. I think as long as the Downs time doesn't go any more off than 15 minutes we will follow the Downs clock. So I will try to post the deadline when the BD page reads 11pm sharp GMT. Just be aware that any votes after my post won't be counted.

Btw, the rules on the first post have been updated.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:29 PM   #94
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Sorry Brinn! My internet (well, the internet I use anyway....) had a major hiccup so I haven't really been on the last day or so.

I'll stick with being, as Emily and I would say, "in the wrong flipping fandom," aka making comments about every canon BUT Tolkien's. Sorry I didn't come up with something better, but hey. It's fitting and still entertaining.

And an announcement just in case. If I'm not here when I say I will be, it's because of the dodgy internet connection. If nothing else, I'll go back to parking lot internet, but I should be fine. Just letting you all know in advance should I suddenly get gagged by a lapse in the wireless. Thanks! *toddles off until day phase*

~~Sally the Insufferable~~
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:37 AM   #95
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Sixth Wizard has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to The Sixth Wizard
Due to a first aid course I will be doing, I will only be here for about seven hours in the middle of Day 1.
The Sixth Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:26 PM   #96
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Just so everyone knows, Day 1 has begun.

Kath, you have not picked a character role so I will have to pick one for you. You shall be.......artiste
Old 07-03-2008, 06:08 PM   #97
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Sorry for disappearing the last few days. I'm alarmingly busy right now so I thought it fair to warn that Day 1 I will be here but barely, and if Day 2 is Sunday then I actually might not be able to post at all. I may manage a quick vote, but that would most likely be it. That's worst case scenario though, depends on some timing issues.

Aaaanyway, artiste eh? Going to have to go write some poetry.

EDIT: Oh, should have mentioned, after Day 2 you've got me full time.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:01 PM   #98
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
I've been trying to post since 2 pm but my computer at home is having internet connection issues. I'm at my sister's now, for the rest of the day and be able to get at least one post up after dinner.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:20 PM   #99
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

The narration is now up.

Sorry for being so slow...one of my many bad habits is that I happen to be a slow writer (which is why I will now ask for the wolves and gifteds to submit their choices at least an hour before deadline). I'll try to do better next time...
Old 07-04-2008, 07:21 PM   #100
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Sorry for my absence; we had a surprise family gathering for the 4th.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:05 PM   #101
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Sixth Wizard has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to The Sixth Wizard
Why you collective scum! I have the time and motivation to post ONCE, and you all lynch me on those grounds?!

Oh well, no more Werewolfing for me for a while.
The Sixth Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:19 PM   #102
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I'm afraid I won't be around for a few hours during the second Day, and should make it back to hopefully catch up.

~ Ka
Old 07-05-2008, 04:57 PM   #103
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

McCaber has sadly informed me that he will not be able to participate in this game after all. He will be modfired in toNight's narration.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:00 PM   #104
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Oh noes.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:42 PM   #105
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Awh, sorry to hear about McCabbie. I was really hoping for his in-character posts, but he did make toNight's narration worthy.
Here I was thinking he was going to turn into a McCobbler and pull a Gandalf Uncloaked and take out someone, but pyro-routine is awesome too. Everyone deserves a good death scene.
Hope you can play again sometime McCaber.

~ Ka
Old 07-05-2008, 08:03 PM   #106
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
I'm still having connection issues, I'm having AT+T come out to fix my phone line. I won't be as active as I normally am this day, but will head out to Barnes and Noble (where they have wireless) and be around for a few hours.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:23 AM   #107
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
My internet keeps on randomly switching on and off, but hopefully it won't affect me too much.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:14 PM   #108
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Narration is up!
Old 07-07-2008, 05:52 AM   #109
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

An Announcement

I'm afraid I have some unfortunate news. Nerwen has informed me that due to a change of plans in RL, she has to drop out of the game. I don't see any reason to wait to reveal her role, so I'll just do it here....Nerwen was a hacker/werewolf.

Now when a werewolf is killed early in the game due to lynching or a hunt, the other teammates have to learn to carry on with one less. But in the case of a modfire (has a wolf even dropped out before...not that I can recall), I can't help but feel like perhaps the situation is a bit unfair to the remaining wolves, when it was simply bad luck on their side versus gameplay. Because if Nerwen didn't have to drop out, who knows how much longer she would've stayed alive...

I have spent most of the night scrambling my brain trying to think of what's best for all players. While setting up this game, I had, looking at the growing size of players, considered adding a fourth wolf (I think in Rikae's game there were 19 players and 4 wolves). But I quickly decided against it, thinking it'd be better to keep it at the traditional three. What I'm trying to get at is that the best option I can come up with is while I modfire Nerwolf, I could add a new hacker to the bunch...bringing the number back to three. Of course this would make the hackers and spammer happy...but what about the innocents? Would replacing Nerwen by turning an ordo make the game too much of a challenge? My goal is to make this WW game as balanced as possible; it's more fun for both sides that way.

So rather than having me decide completely on my own, I would like to hear everyone's opinion on the matter regardless of your role. Would it be more fair to add a new hacker, or leave it be with two remaining wolves? Please PM me your thoughts. Thanks.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:18 PM   #110
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Regarding Night 3

Hi everyone-

Seven hours after I've made my announcement, I have only heard from a few players. In this late stage of the Night (4 hours til deadline), even if I do add a new wolf to the pack, it's not exactly nice to only give them a few hours to talk.

So this is what I'd like to do. I will extend Night 3 by a full 24 hours so that Day 3 will start tomorrow at 11pm GMT. This is a something I think will be fair for both sides of players and will make things a lot less stressful for me.

In the meantime, I really would like to hear from those who have not yet shared their thoughts regarding the situation (and there are a lot). I would like to come to a solid decision on the matter by 11pm GMT, but if not enough PM me, I will wait longer. So please PLEASE read my above post and PM me your thoughts as soon as possible.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:53 PM   #111
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Thanks to everyone who shared with me their thoughts. I appreciate it.

It was a strong majority and that majority stated that they would be fine if an extra wolf would be brought into the game. A few even said they would prefer it. And since I had once considered having four wolves in this game, I think the best decision is to do just that.

So toNight a new wolf will be chosen.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:05 PM   #112
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quick FYI:

I won't be around at the beginning of the Day. Shouldn't be too long, but just so you all know.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:02 PM   #113
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
My participation tomorrow will be limited - before the start of day 3 was postponed, I had promised to go to a friend's summer cottage. I will post and vote before I leave in the morning, but apart from that I will have no chance to post.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:09 PM   #114
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

A couple minutes late on the narration, but in my defense, it was a long one...

My chatspeak isn't nearly as good as Nerwen's, and after my attempt I can't help but wonder how anyone manages to write in such a way.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:52 PM   #115
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel View Post
A couple minutes late on the narration, but in my defense, it was a long one...
And in your defense, it was a funny one. I really laughed at it.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:03 PM   #116
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Bah! I can't believe you kill me now that I'm finally able to actually play! My only consolation is that you clearly feel I am an awesome threat. What's that? It was only because I'd said absolutely nothing of any importance and so the kill left no trail? I refuse to believe it!

As soon as I find out who you are, next game I'm coming after you with pitchforks. Just a friendly warning from your newest neighbourhood ghost.

*hopes Brinn doesn't mind the dead having a quick rant ... mentions being very impressed with her death narration in a hope for leniency *
Old 07-08-2008, 09:05 PM   #117
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

“So it’s a deal then?” asked the larger hacker. “Your flesh for the hot Legolas poster?”

Just wanted to say, that is an amazing line Brinn.

After spending a whole day running around, waiting two hours to pee in a cup for a drug test, waiting for my driving abstract and a trip to the packed social security office all for one job, it really made my day.

~ Ka
Old 07-09-2008, 10:18 AM   #118
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sorry for not being here until now. Because of the unexpected timing I couldn't be here earlier toDay (or today for that matter).
Old 07-09-2008, 12:03 PM   #119
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sorry to be quiet today, but I'm currently starting a new job and I'm ending up spending most of my time processing paperwork so I can begin (I'm working in a place that handles a LOT of money and people, so, they want everything on me short of a microchip in my brain), so I'm afraid I won't be around later today or for the deadline.

Sorry to be a dead weight everyone. If it helps to keep the modfire balance on low, I'm perfectly fine with people voting for me. So, if you've ever wanted to kill Ka (I know you're jumping in your seat Agan...), this is your chance.
Or, if hackers are reading this, go ahead and kill me toNight if you can't think of anyone in particular. I don't mind, really.

Sorry once again, but life happens I guess. More importantly, work happens and I need moolah.

It was lovely to play with all of you again, and I'm sorry if I've been a drag on the game. Hope I can return sometime soon once this job has settled down! I'll miss you guys.

~ Ka
Old 07-09-2008, 12:14 PM   #120
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Flooding in the library meant that I had no lunchtime net access and it is still pouring and threatening " a severe weather event" so I don't want to be driving in the dark - I was marooned in a flood a couple of weeks again and was lucky not to lose my car, I definitely don't want to take the risk. Sorry

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote