The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-09-2004, 03:22 AM   #81
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Morgul Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morgul Queen
White Tree

I dislike HP because I get the impression that JKR is being slightly condescending with the language she uses. I don't get that with Tolkien and Pratchett, but Rowling seems (to me) to have used a word, gone 'Oh, but that's too difficult" and used a word from the 'Oxford Picture Dictionary' instead.

Don't kill me, that's just my impression.
Morgul Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 07:05 PM   #82
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nimrodel_9 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nimrodel_9
Palantir-Green

I like HP, but I agree with you Morgy.

In English last week, I was reading FotR. My English teacher saw what I was reading and said, "I started reading that book, but found it really boring. So, I tried watching the movie. I fell asleep a little ways into it, and never watched the others." (This coming from the same teacher who dosen`t know how to spell buried, and dosen`t know the difference between thrown and throne, and desert and dessert. Many other things, but just to give you an idea.) I just sat there and glared at her.
Old 11-13-2004, 02:59 PM   #83
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

White Tree

*grins* Cue Tolkien quote here:

(not entirely sure if this is 100% correct, feel free to correct me if you want)

"Some people tell me that my books are boring or contempible and I have no cause to complain as I have similar views of their works."

I really have to congratulate you on your self control, I probably would have asked the teacher if he/she needed help with the big words rather than settling for glaring at them.

Actually....I've done that before...*blushes*...an far too impulsive for my own good.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:06 PM   #84
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
I'm still arguing with my geography teacher from last year over the correct pronunciation of 'celtic'. I know I'm right, and I've proved it several times, it's a hard K unless you speak of sports teams... A geography teacher should know better! *glares at stubborn geography teacher*

I argued with my math teacher too...he admitted I was right, but he had to teach it the way he was (A very impractical way. If the easy way to solve a certain type of problem always gives you the right answer, why bother learning the hard way first?) because the People In Charge decided so.

And my school librarians...they won't allow anyone to use the library computers unless they can explain how they need to for homework.

*'Leny realizes she's ranting* I'll stop now...
Old 11-13-2004, 09:05 PM   #85
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Pipe

Wow, your teacher dosen't know how to pronounce 'Celtic' ? That's sad... Oh well, i had a horticulture teacher who on Halloween was tellnig the class the non-christian version of hallows eve, he said celtic with an 's'. It made me sooo mad! Somehow, i think it has to with the basketball team... everyone thinks that what they say goes... not the historians.

Your librarians sound like they don't have anything better to do. I used to use the excuse that it was for history and or sociology... and it worked!
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 09:44 AM   #86
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree <==The Lofty Tree of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elennar Starfire
I'm still arguing with my geography teacher from last year over the correct pronunciation of 'celtic'.
It's (K)celtic. You know, like (K)Celeborn and (K)celebrate! Why do people not understand that?

Quote:
"Some people tell me that my books are boring or contempible and I have no cause to complain as I have similar views of their works."
Muhuhaha! Great quote; thanks for posting it, Morgy. *mwah*

Abedithon le,

~ Saphy ~
Old 11-20-2004, 07:49 AM   #87
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

White Tree

You'd have to check it before you use it anywhere, though, I didn't have time to check it up when I used it.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:03 PM   #88
malkatoj
Wight

malkatoj has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to malkatoj
Sting

How we beat one:

My science class was on a trip to do some work in the field, gathering samples and such. On the way back, two of my friends and I got into a car where my friend was playing the Fellowship on CD. We, of course, were thrilled about this. Then one kid got in who hates (really, not just dislikes) geeks and the Lord of the Rings. He sits in the back of the car, too stupid to ignore it and realize that we're not talking to him, complaining loudly the entire time.

Our solution to this problem, in case it happens again:
1: Memorize all the songs from the CDs 'A Night in Rivendell' and 'An Evening in Rivendell' by the Tolkein Ensemble. Engage ourselves in sing-a-longs the entire way.
2: Bring the Silmarillion on CD (or the book, and alternate reading out loud). Drive right past the school and say loudly 'Oops! I guess we have to drive to California now!' (We're from the East Coast.) Proceed to drive all the way across the country, pausing only to use the toilet. Drive back in the same manner. If the Silmarillion finishes, proceed to The Hobbit, then the Lord of the Rings. We figure this kid will either convert to geeky Tolkeinism or commit suicide, either way doing the world a favour.
malkatoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 11:23 AM   #89
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
Oh, the burden of being somewhere that others are not...

I have to ask myself which is harder, being an adult Tolkien fan or a teenage one. By the posts, I assume that the majority are young people (still in school). It must be hard being forced to be around classmates and even teachers who don't like Tolkien's work when they haven't tried to read the books. Or living with parents who don't understand and hope it's just a phase one is going through.
On the other hand, is it harder being a grown-up having to defend the position that, yes, it is fantasy genre, but it is not 'immature-baby stuff'? And if a teenager gets funny looks by saying something LotR-ish, wait till adulthood; when one is expected to be sooo mature and lay aside all things not realistic, and conform.
When FotR came out, a friend went and saw it (at that time we were both 28). she didn't really like it and said there was too much fighting. I suggested that she read the book. She snapped back that there were plenty of movies she liked that she didn't need to read the book. Fair enough, I thought, but how to explain to an unwilling listener that the book had so much more to offer? So I just said to her that if she felt that FotR had too much fighting, don't bother with the other two movies.
I ask this because I am 32, and only discovered the books 4 years ago. Oh, the wasted years!! Perhaps the best person to answer is one who liked it as a teenager but is now an adult.
**A bonus for the teenagers, you might get off easier when doing something criminalthan an adult would. So throw in an extra kick for me!!

P.S to The KA: I fall into the #2 category, love Tolkien and appreciate other works in the genre. And also, is your avatar a picture of you?

Last edited by Holbytlass; 05-19-2005 at 11:27 AM.
Holbytlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 10:18 AM   #90
Elentari_Elbereth
Pile O'Bones

Elentari_Elbereth has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elentari_Elbereth Send a message via MSN to Elentari_Elbereth Send a message via Yahoo to Elentari_Elbereth
Tolkien

Hmm. I know very few people who actually have read LotR or any other Tolkien book. I know wayy tooo many Legolas (movie) fangirls.
I get back at them by convincing them legolas dies in RotK (before it came out, that is)
They were either annoyed with me or saw me as a great master. One of them thought they spoke in pig latin in the films (what an outrage!) so I spoke of elvish and it's history and a little grammar in quenya and quoted off "Nin o chithaeglir..."

If someone says something insulting about LotR I usually insult them back in elvish or black speech...

I think the best way to get back at them is speak in great detail about history of Middle Earth, or the Silmarillion, or anything complicated to a poor outsider about LotR. like rambling off the many titles of Aragorn, who said them, why,.. etc.

Or read the Silmarillion outloud and explain everything. heh.

Recently I was asked what Ents were, so I went in detail about them and their history. it was great!

Sometimes I write my notes partially in Quenya, and when my friends want to borrow my notes.. heh heh.

...Who shall see the last evening?
Elentari_Elbereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 12:05 PM   #91
Gothbogg the Ripper
Wight

Gothbogg the Ripper has just left Hobbiton.
So basically you exploit the ignorance of those around you in order to validate your point? How can your argument ever be debated seriously if the opposing party has no idea what in the name of Rafeal Trujillo you're talking about? Look, I think that now the films are done with and the media circus has left the building it is time to reevaluate this topic. The fairweather fans are gone, the hysteria has degenerated into silence, the boom period has ended, the depression has begun. Do people ever even get insulted for liking Lord of The Rings anymore? The answer in my case is "no". For many it was a phase and for some the attention lavished on the series was perfect justification for a backlash but now people just don't care. Live and let live folks. It's the wave of the future.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:51 PM   #92
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
The last post on this thread was nearly two years ago. I think that your point may already have been taken.

Last edited by The Squatter of Amon Rûdh; 04-01-2007 at 04:55 PM.
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is offline   Reply With Quote