The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-21-2007, 02:12 PM   #81
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I'll send you a different character, Volo.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:13 PM   #82
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
*meep* They're too scary to be spammed by PM...
Old 04-21-2007, 02:13 PM   #83
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Aww, thankye for the warm welcome!

You and Saucie were definitely a part of my decision, Legate.

I told myself that would be the last game ever for me...but alack, I am a lying fiend.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 02:18 PM   #84
Volo

1420! Game thread and one more rule!

Game thread in! Don't write there! Yet.

Please, don't change your Signiture, Avatar, location or any other BD information, if you can avoid it. You do have time to change them till I say you don't, so do it now. This is because of the riddles, it might be pretty annoying if somebody changes their information in the middle of the game, the lynch seer won't thank you for doing so.

Last edited by Volo; 04-21-2007 at 02:24 PM.
Volo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 02:42 PM   #85
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
And now we have the always entertaining Durelin in the game...oh this game should truly have some fireworks flying.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:54 PM   #86
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin
Aww, thankye for the warm welcome!

You and Saucie were definitely a part of my decision, Legate.

I told myself that would be the last game ever for me...but alack, I am a lying fiend.
Well, I'd say you couldn't've picked better reasons, whaddayasay, SPM?

Concerning the "last game" thing... how many roads must a man go down...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 02:55 PM   #87
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Whoa!

This will be a game one will hate to die early on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin
Well, that is, I'll play unless Nogrod will slander, maim, or kill me for not being very...erm...'loud.'
I can't do that by myself - and to begin with, I have no wish for it. We'll see what the game brings about though...

Good to see you!

As well as Celuien, Kitanna and Sleepy!

Fancy!

Rules agreed and hopefully understood so far. And I hope we will have some help interpreting them from Volo or Kath when (see, I don't say if...) the going gets tough or mixed.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 04:18 PM   #88
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Hehe, I know you're not a meanie, Nogrod! But I'm still ready for anything you want to throw at me...

Of course, chances are we'll be on the same side, so maybe the war paint isn't best quite yet....

Boro - I didn't know I had a reputation to live up to!
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 11:29 PM   #89
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Oh blah.

Stupid work. I haven't sent my character PM yet.

Do I have time, or...?
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 03:19 AM   #90
Volo

Yes, at least one full day before a Night will begin. I decided to have a Night phase first, the only action being the PMing of the Vampires.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:01 AM   #91
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Have you decided yet when our first Night will begin?

I would like to try to get my bio to you before the game actually starts.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:47 AM   #92
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Hmmmm....Interesting....I accept you're invite Volo
Old 04-22-2007, 08:21 AM   #93
Volo

I'll cut the joining at 10 AM GMT tomorrow (23rd of April).

The roles will also be posted tomorrow. The riddles maybe a day later, and as soon as that is done I can start the game. So the first Night will probably be on the 24th or 25th.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:32 AM   #94
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volo
So the first Night will probably be on the 24th or 25th.
As it's only the Night-phase you could start it already on the 23rd, when there is no one to join any more... But your decision to be sure.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:44 AM   #95
Volo

Probably yes as those riddles are nearly done. I won't promise.

I want to remind you that if you agree to stay with the story:
- Your character can't take anything to the game place, except your clothes of course.
- There will be stuff to use in the place, so if you tell me that your character likes to play the flute, he/she won't be able to take his/her own flute, but will probably find one in the game place. (This is basicly for people wishing to stay in character.)
- It is easier that your character is of the same gender as you yourself are.
- Your character may have a name, but it should be related to your own BD nickname.
All of the above won't affect the game as such but will probably make the game nicer.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:54 AM   #96
Volo

Please!

Please don't change you avatar, signiture, location or any other information! If you really have to, inform me.

I also suggest that you (especially the new members) explore your fellow players, because the riddles might be very hard without any background information. I'm sorry for this unfairness, but I hope you understand.

I still don't have characters from the following people (Sorry if I should have, I might have lost the post with them...), please hurry up if you want to make a character.

Gil-Galad
The Saucepan Man
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Thinlómien
Brinniel
Shastanis Althreduin
Kitanna
Sleepy Ranger
Glirdan

May I take the question mark away from your name, Espiem?
Old 04-22-2007, 12:37 PM   #97
Volo

Boots Just a second!

Mistake made! *slaps face* The Night/Day change will be 3 PM GMT!! Not 4 PM GMT like I preveously told...

Don't they have daylight saving times elsewhere?

Sorry... I hope this doesn't change things too much.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:00 PM   #98
Volo

Question Even more spammage, this time I appologise to everybody who thinks that the...

...EDIT-button has been invented.

So, the next question is this:

Do you want challenging and great riddles or mind-bogglingly freaky and extremely challenging riddles?

The challenging riddles would be that the answer can be found in the person's profile.

The extremely challenging riddles would be that the answer can be found about anywhere, mostly such that you can find it through the profile page, but not always.

Why even ask? Enough confusion already?

Well, I was thinking about the fact that the Lynch Seer will pretty well see from the game thread who is being lynched, so it won't be that hard to know who is going to be lynched. So if you want to put the Lynch Seer to think twice and even thrice, in most cases challenging riddles won't be enough.

The extremely challening riddles on the other hand might be a bit and not only a bit too hard, but I'm sure that if the Lynch Seer reads through the game thread and puts some time into it he/she will find the answer.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:10 PM   #99
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
I'd suggest that you do what you find appropriate, Volo. Personally I think extremely challenging riddles might be fun, though... though some "elder" members might have a significant advantage against the more newbie-ish... for example, on the players list there are four or five people of whom I know really very little and yet other four or five of whom I know hardly more than their name...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 04:23 PM   #100
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc
though some "elder" members might have a significant advantage against the more newbie-ish... for example, on the players list there are four or five people of whom I know really very little and yet other four or five of whom I know hardly more than their name...
That works the other way around as well. From those who've been here for ages there are a host of trails but from the newer ones only the profile and the game itself.

But as you said Legate:
Quote:
I'd suggest that you do what you find appropriate, Volo.
Maybe you could stress the part of what happens in the game though. But as you said, there will be some hunches from after a Day who were the main suspects so the lynch-seer probably has quite restricted choice and thence the riddles should be a bit tougher not to make it too easy...
Old 04-22-2007, 05:20 PM   #101
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Quote:
I still don't have characters from the following people (Sorry if I should have, I might have lost the post with them...), please hurry up if you want to make a character.

The Saucepan Man
I sent my character to the g-mail address which you provided earlier in this thread - about half an hour before your post. Did you get it?

Quote:
May I take the question mark away from your name, Espiem?
Indeed you may.

Quote:
Do you want challenging and great riddles or mind-bogglingly freaky and extremely challenging riddles?
I agree with Nogrod on this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
But as you said, there will be some hunches from after a Day who were the main suspects so the lynch-seer probably has quite restricted choice and thence the riddles should be a bit tougher not to make it too easy...
Also, a question. I believe that you said that the lynch seer would be told the number of votes recevied by the lynchee. Are they able to post this with their riddle, or must they wait until the next Day (if, indeed, they live to see it ...)?
Old 04-22-2007, 06:29 PM   #102
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Pssst...Glirdy...Volo wants us to PM the character descriptions to him.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:15 PM   #103
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I deserve a treat

hmm seing that a friend of mine that looks a lot like a young Harrison Ford has joined, I should too. . . .It must be well over a year since we last played in a game together. In fact I belive it was the very first wwj or maybe the second.

anyways sign me up, I shall send you my charachter tomorrow!

oh and by the way: Please do use the edit button, it is quite frustrating having to read through all 3 pages to find all the updates on roles.

P.S. I will probably change my siggy again tomorrow as this was just a temporary one I put up before I knew I was joining, if it has to stay up for the intire game I would like something else. . .

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:23 AM   #104
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dűm

The Sixth Wizard has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to The Sixth Wizard
I was under the impression that signing up was closed. If it is not, then I too would like to join, and will change my signature. If not, the next one it is!
The Sixth Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:31 AM   #105
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Oh geez...the time zones keep confusing my brain. I must've calculated the deadline incorrectly at least three different time! But don't worry, I've figured it out now...

Anyways, if I am right, the game shouldn't close for another 2 1/2 hours. So that makes what...23 now? A big game...I like that.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:14 AM   #106
Volo

Closed!

OK, Rune and Sixth, you're in!

Try to be quick with all the changes and characters!

I'll come to answer all the questions, in there are any, later
Old 04-23-2007, 05:19 AM   #107
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Ahhh...well.....that's what you get for reading quickly because you have minimal computer time.....

Volo, would you still like me to send it to you via PM?
Glirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 05:19 AM   #108
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dűm

Whew, just got in on time. Be prepared for my blatant eccentricity and unproffessionalism, everyone.

May I still post a character bio?
Old 04-23-2007, 06:49 AM   #109
Volo

Thumbs up

Glirdan, I got it, no need sending, but please delete the post with your character.

Sixth, yes as soon as you can, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
I'd suggest that you do what you find appropriate, Volo. Personally I think extremely challenging riddles might be fun, though... though some "elder" members might have a significant advantage against the more newbie-ish... for example, on the players list there are four or five people of whom I know really very little and yet other four or five of whom I know hardly more than their name...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
That works the other way around as well. From those who've been here for ages there are a host of trails but from the newer ones only the profile and the game itself.
Hmm... Indeed, but most of the riddles just need a keen eye and imaginative mind.

Quote:
I believe that you said that the lynch seer would be told the number of votes recevied by the lynchee. Are they able to post this with their riddle, or must they wait until the next Day (if, indeed, they live to see it ...)?
I forgot that for a moment there. The Lynch Seer will get the number with the riddles so that makes three factors from what the LS can guess.

Last edited by Volo; 04-23-2007 at 07:14 AM.
Volo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:40 AM   #110
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
The universe is conspiring against me, I swear. I was in the middle of typing my character bio... and lightning struck a transformer down the road. -_-;; I'm typing it (from scratch!) RIGHT NOW. Promise. =D

Edit: HA. Got it.

Last edited by Shastanis Althreduin; 04-23-2007 at 07:55 AM.
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:24 AM   #111
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Just so everyone knows and subsequently doesn't jump at me when I'm late, the Day starts and ends at the same time I have to be at work every day. This means that I won't be on for at least the first 6-7 hours of the Day, And I'll be missing the last half hour, too.

Also, Volo, a quick question before you send out the roles- Is it okay to directly state whom we vote for in the game thread? As in, "I'm going to vote for So and So," but with out the actual vote? Or are we only allowed to suggest that everyone vote for a person, but never say if we ourselves did or not?

Naturallly, not everyone would do that, but I just want to know if it's allowable, or if we should avoid it.

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:30 AM   #112
Volo

Thumbs up

You may indeed chat about whom to vote openly!
Old 04-23-2007, 08:57 AM   #113
Volo

Sting The first Night...

The first Night will start in exactly 24 hours from this moment. I'll start sending the roles now.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:10 AM   #114
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Quote:
The Lynch Seer will get the number with the riddles so that makes three factors from what the LS can guess.
Yes, but can the lynch seer post the number with the riddle during the Night?

And did you get my character bio?
Old 04-23-2007, 09:20 AM   #115
Volo

Oh, sorry. No, the Lynch Seer may post only the riddle. Nothing else.

I got SMP's, Brinniel's, Eomer's and Sixth's characters by e-mail. That turns the total to 19 characters.

Still to post:

Rune Son of Bjarne
Sleepy Ranger
Gil-Galad
Kitanna

Hurryhurryhurryhurry!
Old 04-23-2007, 04:27 PM   #116
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
woops sorry... is it still too late for me to send it in?
Old 04-23-2007, 07:07 PM   #117
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Question

Will there be a new summary of the rules posted before the game starts? To tell the truth I've been skipping/skimming most of this discussion about the rules because I'm just going to go by whatever the rules are once the game actually starts and don't want to be confused by all the possiblities and suggestions raised.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:46 PM   #118
Volo

I think all the stuff needed is now in the first rule post. I might be wrong as it's somewhat hard to still consentrate on this thread.

Have to run...
Old 04-24-2007, 12:49 AM   #119
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Oh, I know you all have heard the same thing for so many times, but I don't have a net access home so I won't be super-flood poster. But, thanks to the deadline, I'll be around in the late hours. So don't wonder if I first pop up only 8 hours before the deadline or something like that.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 02:02 AM   #120
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dűm

3PM GMT is 1AM over here in Australia. So my probable hours will be 9PM GMT (maybe, before I go to school), and 5AM to 8AM GMT (after school). Sorry 'bout that. It's a bit of a bummer.