The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 02:30 PM   #1201
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilwarin538
Well we could change our passwords to the name of the person imitating us, then when the game is over we can just change our password back to the one we had before. So for example if SPM was imitating me, right before the game I would change my password to "Saucepan Man", then when he dies or the game ends I just change it back. This way we're not giving out anything personal and it's easier for the person imitating us to remember the password.

Personally I think it would be an amazing game.
I have to agree with Spm on this. If the game takes, let's say a week or two, some people might be tempted to do something else with the password than just play the game. You know: we all are nice people, but how come the world is full of computer viruses etc. It unfortunately takes only one to spoil the idea...

Someday, when "the kingdom has come", or something, I would like to try this - or some other procedure. F.ex. this game of "the wrong king", where everyone would intentionally play with a different style as they are used to. Or if we all ask for the Barrow-Wight for a ruling of exception to try just once these "blind"-identities (made totally from scratch) - clearly stating, that they will be for one game only (and thence deleted), and just to try it... But I also understand B-W's concern about it and wouldn't be pushing the matter now.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:33 AM   #1202
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Silmaril Attention!!

This is for all previous Werewolf Junior mods and submods. Please let me know who you are ASAP (with the exception of Sleepy and Diamond18). This is extremely important as it has a big part in the game I will be modding. Yes, I know early, but it's better to be early than to be late. I'm planning something...unique for it. So please, either PM me or post it here. As long as I get the information before Samwise's game is over. So you have almost a month. Thank you for your co-operation.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:27 AM   #1203
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
An announcement, concerning the oncoming games.

Kath would like to have her TiG game to begin asap after lmp's, as her closing exams will haunt her after that. Therefore we will push the beginning of our TiGJ game a bit forwards.

So the next game should be Kath's TIG-game, and our game on TiGJ will start only when Kath's game is drawing near its end. That way we can have players to both games - and the timetable is much better for me and Lommy too: as our summer holidays start in the beginning of June. Then we will have all the time to come up with stories, deaths etc., and will be able to make the deadline around 10PM GMT, which seems to fit both Europeans and Americans.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:18 PM   #1204
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Glirdan I modded the Werecats game...wwj7 I think.... and Naria was my co-mod

I am curious to know what your up to
Old 05-14-2006, 12:44 PM   #1205
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

You shall see, but I'm glad that you're anxious. I haven't quite worked out all the kinks to it yet, but I will and it's going to be fun. And thanks Valier.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:18 PM   #1206
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Check out the Grimoire, Glirdan. There should be quite a bit in there.

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Old 05-16-2006, 05:41 AM   #1207
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Yes, and I'm pretty sure I have all the mods but I'm not sure of sub-mods. Besides all I need is verification from those mods, like Valier has so kindly done.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:31 AM   #1208
tom bombariffic
Wight

tom bombariffic has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

I am entirely new to the whole werewolf thing, but it looks like a laugh and a half.

I've read through a couple of games and reckon I understand it pretty well, but I'm totally lost on the new game / sign-up / waiting list thing.

If anyone could enlighten me when the next available (i.e. has free spaces) game will probably start, and how to sign up, I'd be very grateful.

cheers

bombariffic
Old 05-16-2006, 10:43 AM   #1209
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
There is only one game going at the moment Tom, and it still has a fair bit to go, but there will be games starting after it is over. Usually recruiting for a game happens on this thread or the Tol in Gaurhoth thread. Please feel free to sign up for one when they begin, nice to see another new werewolf player!
Old 05-16-2006, 11:00 AM   #1210
tom bombariffic
Wight

tom bombariffic has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

thanks, I'll keep an eye out.

bombariffic
Old 05-16-2006, 11:19 AM   #1211
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom bombariffic
If anyone could enlighten me when the next available (i.e. has free spaces) game will probably start, and how to sign up, I'd be very grateful.
If I'm not totally mistaken. The next game starting is the one modded by Kath, and it will be in the TiG -thread - after lmp's megagame has ended. I think enlisting for it begins somewhat soon, as the game should start pretty quickly after the ongoing one, because of Kath's timetables.

As that game begins, we will start enlisting people to the next TiGJ game (modded by me and Lommy) here. Our game should start when Kath's game is at its last days or something (around the beginning of June).

That remains to be seen.

And surely: welcome Bombariffic! This is a nasty, but addicting game. And so much fun, even though you sometimes die on the first days...
Old 05-16-2006, 11:47 AM   #1212
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I'm not sure what Kath's going to be doing about recruiting, as we're not supposed to be posting in the Tol-in-Gaurhoth thread while Dueling Wizards games is going on. I was thinking about that the other day. That's why I think the TiG/TiGJ alternation of games is what works best. (Just a reference to a discussion that took place a while ago. )
Old 05-16-2006, 12:06 PM   #1213
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond18
I'm not sure what Kath's going to be doing about recruiting, as we're not supposed to be posting in the Tol-in-Gaurhoth thread while Dueling Wizards games is going on. I was thinking about that the other day. That's why I think the TiG/TiGJ alternation of games is what works best. (Just a reference to a discussion that took place a while ago. )
A voice from under the grave: Dear wife!

1) I guess the discussion about not posting in the TiG-thread concerns people who play the game now. I think one of lmp's posts said it just that way: that people who are currently active should not post there - but for pressing personal timetable-stuff... or whatever it was. The point of course being, that one should not try to affect the game by "playing it" over there too. In a sense, I can't see no idea in prohibiting someone tot talk there about the next game - even though s/he is currently playing. It's just a "no-go" for any game related discussion while the game goes on?

2) I have heard that Kath has pressing timetables and has asked Lommy whether she (Kath) could go with her game first. It's quite sure, we won't have enough players to two games on top of each other after lmp's game anyhow. I've sent a PM to Kath about that today - and we'll be looking at the situation. After all, the most important thing is, that there are games to play for those who want them - and some fair distribution of moddings...
Old 05-16-2006, 12:16 PM   #1214
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Well there's two things could be done, as I see it. I don't think that the TiG thread should be trying to balance Kath's recruitment and the away or emergency notices for LMP's game. Indeed, an emergency notice could get lost amongst the pre-game planning. So, either a seperate thread (such as Mith had done) could be created, or Kath could use the TiGJ thread. Just my thoughts.

PS -- we seem to be getting the jump on Kath in talking about her own game, which seems a bit... wrong. I only expressed these thoughts since bombariffic is looking for info on when and where the next recruitment starts, and right now it's hard to give any sort of definite answer.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:41 PM   #1215
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

According to the "usual procedure", our game (me & Lommy) in TiGJ would start next. And we should be recruiting people now here already, I guess. But as Kath has herself asked to be going on first (because of her timetables), we have thought it gentlemanlike / gentlewomanlike to let her make her game first. As I said, I doubt we could make two games on top of each other after lmp.

But what you say about recruiting and game-related messages getting confused (mostly: important messages concerning lmp's game getting confused or lost amidst the next game planning) is quite true. If Kath doesn't think it very important, that her game is the TiG - and ours is "just" TiGJ, then we should change places. But let's hear what Kath has to say. I'll ask her via PM to check this discussion here.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:46 PM   #1216
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
According to the "usual procedure", our game (me & Lommy) in TiGJ would start next. And we should be recruiting people now here already, I guess. But as Kath has herself asked to be going on first (because of her timetables), we have thought it gentlemanlike / gentlewomanlike to let her make her game first. As I said, I doubt we could make two games on top of each other after lmp.
I think you mistake my intent in talking about this... it's none of my concern whether Kath goes before you and Lommy or vice versa, and whatever you want/wanted to do with your games is up to you. I was just concerned about the idea of mingling Kath's game with LMP's current game on the TiG thread.

And my reference to TiG/TiGJ games was in reference to the discussion prior to my game about the usefulness/worth of having two seperate categories and planning threads for Werewolf game.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:53 PM   #1217
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

I see your point now, sorry.

Quote:
And my reference to TiG/TiGJ games was in reference to the discussion prior to my game about the usefulness/worth of having two seperate categories and planning threads for Werewolf game.
Well, I guess all this speaks in favour of two threads. So the one under play can be freezed during the game time for important gaming posts and the other might have recruitement going on simultaneously. Whether the one should be "the real WW" and the other "just junior", well, different people weight these differently. Maybe they should be similar-kind of threads (WW1 & WW2, or something), but at least I have no problem playing or modding a WWJ-game. Most of the best games I've had have been at the junior - and some of those playerlists in junior have just been quite awesome.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:54 PM   #1218
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
I'm here!

As to recruitment I have been steadily picking up players over the last couple of weeks so recruitment time will be short as I already have half the players I need.

Once lmp's game has finished I will open recruitment on the TiG thread and give the rules and roles etc. I'm hoping to get my game started only two/three days after lmp's finishes so make sure you feel able to play another so soon afterwards before you sign up!

If anyone wants to get in early and be put on the players list just PM me and on you will go. That would be really great actually, as I could start it very soon after then.

I'm not sure whether I should put this in the TiG thread yet as Kuru keeps yelling at people for putting things in there when they shouldn't, and he's a scary chap.

But whatever, my thanks go to Lommy and Nogrod for postponing their game and helping out with organisation. Diamond, don't fret, I don't mind. Guess I should have explained somewhere sooner.

So to sum up:
My game will start as soon as possible after lmp's.
If you want in PM me now or wait til lmp's finishes and sign up like normal.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:57 PM   #1219
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I would think that there might be some people who will be desperate for a more standard WW game. I only had to beg a couple of people to fill mine during Nilp's big game... and I can't be the only person who was daunted by LMP's...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Old 05-16-2006, 12:59 PM   #1220
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Quote:
Whether the one should be "the real WW" and the other "just junior", well, different people weight these differently. Maybe they should be similar-kind of threads (WW1 & WW2, or something), but at least I have no problem playing or modding a WWJ-game. Most of the best games I've had have been at the junior - and some of those playerlists in junior have just been quite awesome.
I wouldn't mind changing the distinctions of the games to something more on equal footing, since it seems that junior games can and have been just as complicated and newbies often feel free to join either set anyway. But I have a feeling that it's become more or less tradiiton to call these games "junior" and the others "senior" and it's hard to change tradition. For one Glirdan would have to change the name of this thread.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:59 PM   #1221
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
If anyone wants to get in early and be put on the players list just PM me and on you will go. That would be really great actually, as I could start it very soon after then.

I'm not sure whether I should put this in the TiG thread yet as Kuru keeps yelling at people for putting things in there when they shouldn't, and he's a scary chap.
Good to hear from you Kath.

Maybe you should PM lmp about putting this message into the TiG-thread. I can't see a reason for him to refuse that - if you there clearly state, that the recruiting will happen via PM's = no talk in the thread itself after this announcement.

And nice to have this announcement at least here in public!

Just wait for a mass invasion on your PM-account...
Old 05-16-2006, 12:59 PM   #1222
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
*shamelessly advertises*

Hey Mith, if it's a small game you're looking for that is what mine will be!

EDIT: Yes Nogrod I will PM lmp, good idea.

Last edited by Kath; 05-16-2006 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:02 PM   #1223
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
I would think that there might be some people who will be desperate for a more standard WW game. I only had to beg a couple of people to fill mine during Nilp's big game... and I can't be the only person who was daunted by LMP's...
I was thinking that it could be left up to the particular Mod's discretion, instead of saying that all senior games must be large and all junior games must be small. Seeing as how it already hasn't turned out that way even with the labels.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:05 PM   #1224
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
I wouldn't mind changing the distinctions of the games to something more on equal footing
I think the distinctions have been blurred, and certainly noone could call your game a junior one Diamond ducky!!!! But for myself - sinceI have a rather erratic lifestyle, I can only join games when I know when and roughtly fo rhow long they are taking place ..the ones with lengthy gestation periods where you sign up well in advance for an unknown start date are not an option. I don't haunt these games only in a futile attempt to avoid the players who scare me most

Old 05-16-2006, 01:07 PM   #1225
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I can hardly deny the divine right of Mods!!! I am more making the point that while there is a place for big and/or innovative games short and simple can be good too......

Old 05-16-2006, 01:07 PM   #1226
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
= MIth
I would think that there might be some people who will be desperate for a more standard WW game.
Quote:
= Kath
*shamelessly advertises*
Hey Mith, if it's a small game you're looking for that is what mine will be!
The werepenguin game by me and Lommy will also probably be quite basic. But we shall see to that. It will depend a lot also on the fact, how many players are wishing to join etc. Anyhow: we are not going to put up a 30-player game with totally new twists on the basic gaming-logics. So at least in that sense, quite basic.

Quote:
= Diamond
But I have a feeling that it's become more or less tradiiton to call these games "junior" and the others "senior" and it's hard to change tradition.
I agree with this. And wouldn't be the one to actually suggest anything like changing the names of the threads / games. I just have the impression, that some people still think there is a difference in quality between the two - and welll, if they don't come to the WWJ games because of that, that's all the worse for them. They lose there, not us who play also in the WWJ...
Old 05-16-2006, 01:14 PM   #1227
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Ooh they are fighting over me!! LOL Oh come on there must be other potential loose cannons / spiritual descendents of Basil Fawlty you can recruit to liven things up

Old 05-16-2006, 01:37 PM   #1228
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
A little clarity

The original reason for TiG-J was that there were more available players than games.

TiG was meant to be the main carrier of werewolf games.

TiGJ was meant to be available if there were enough players to play a second werewolf game while the first was already going.

I see no reason why the original purpose need be dropped. As soon as the next moderator has enough available playeres, the next TiG-J werewolf game can start, regardless of when Dueling Wizards is complete.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:16 PM   #1229
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
I see no reason why the original purpose need be dropped. As soon as the next moderator has enough available playeres, the next TiG-J werewolf game can start, regardless of when Dueling Wizards is complete.
Well, we hit the problem earlier this spring, as (due to the overall crush to a WWJ-game) there were not enough people to play a game (in TiG). After that there has been discussion, whether the games should be intertwined more neatly. But I'm sure we will come to a good arrangement. After Kath informs us that her game (TiG) is full, we may start to recruit people to our game here (TiGJ) - and start the game, when it's convenient to us & the players.

So I don't see this as a major problem, but just something that has to be organized sensibly after hearing different opinions and peoples needs & hopes. And surely, if Kath is in a hurry and we (Lommy & I ) are not, it's just right, that Kath goes on with her game first...
Old 05-17-2006, 09:43 AM   #1230
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I'm just to say I agree with all Nogrod has said on the upcoming days. He never asked me, you know....

Anyway, I'd prefer our game start around the 5th of June. That would be perfect for me.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:23 AM   #1231
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Parents are like that.... ...

I do thinkk it is an oversimplification to regard WWJ as mere overspill though...grrrr

Old 05-17-2006, 04:25 PM   #1232
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien
I'm just to say I agree with all Nogrod has said on the upcoming days. He never asked me, you know....

Anyway, I'd prefer our game start around the 5th of June. That would be perfect for me.

I would disagree a little with the first part. I said that our game would (probably) be fairly basic - as we have discussed, and that we would have to see how this turns out, and what are people's needs etc. before we make definitive timetables. And about the (possible) deadline we have talked too.

And about that starting date we have been discussing as our favourite, but as I said earlier, we will have to see. It would surely be the most convenient one.

Quote:
= MIth
Parents are like that....
And children...
Old 05-17-2006, 04:53 PM   #1233
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
I do thinkk it is an oversimplification to regard WWJ as mere overspill though...grrrr
Oh, I think that it's gone way beyond that now. Diamond's game was one of the most demanding (for me) and exciting that I have played.

I agree that, for tradition's sake, we should continue to refer to these games as "junior" games, but they should by no means be regarded as inferior in any way. That's the reason I tend to use inverted commas when referring to them.

I rather like the idea of games alternating between the senior and "junior" divisions. It works well, allowing players to move straight from one game to another, with recruitment having taken place for the next game during the closing stages of the previous one.

Would it not be best simply for Kath to move her game to the "junior" division and for the Noglommie game to take place in the "senior" division? Then recruitment for Kath's game can start up here.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:55 PM   #1234
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Because many of the players involved in my game are in lmp's. Also that would mess up Lommy and Nogrod's timings.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:00 PM   #1235
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Quote:
Because many of the players involved in my game are in lmp's. Also that would mess up Lommy and Nogrod's timings.
But if your game is not starting until Elempi's finishes, then they can sign up while it's still running. And it shouldn't make any difference to the timings. Lomrod's game would still follow on from yours, and therefore on the same timescale.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:02 PM   #1236
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

They are signing up while it's running But if I'm going to start it after lmp's whether it is in here or in there where's the point in moving it?
Old 05-17-2006, 05:33 PM   #1237
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Lomrod. *snerk*

SpM, I think that we're just going to skip a Junior game, so to speak, as was discussed prior to LMP's game, and the Lomrod game taking place after Kath's will get us back into the Junior/Senior alternation.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:52 PM   #1238
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Silmaril

Quote:
But if I'm going to start it after lmp's whether it is in here or in there where's the point in moving it?
As you will. I just thought that it might be easier if you could run recruitment and other pre-game discussions here.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:18 AM   #1239
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:

And children...

Ah but the fun starts when the roles are reversed. Giving the , "What time do you call this? " speech to your parents is hysterical. The surviving Aged Parent was sensible (or foolish) enough to set up an Enduring Power of Attorney after a major episode of ill health so he is theoretically now at the mercy of my self and the Unpleasant Sibling, and we have the concern of whether our widowed aunt's new boyfriend is suitable / good enough for her....

And yes, it will be interesting to see what Miss 18 comes up with when she decides to mod a "senior" game

Old 05-19-2006, 09:47 AM   #1240
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Quote:
As you will. I just thought that it might be easier if you could run recruitment and other pre-game discussions here.
Cheers Sauce for thinking of it, but recruitment is going well and there will be little pre-game discussion as I am a dictator and only one of my rules/roles will be talked over before I put it in.