The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-16-2005, 07:33 PM   #1401
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Quote:
That's up to you Glirdan, if you're modding. You need to be careful, though, to maintain the game balance. I'm happy to help you out with suggestions, but I suggest that we wait until the current game is over.
I gladly accept that offer Saucy. I'd also appreciate any other help to but I agree that we should wait until this one is over.

Quote:
Well...it will probably take around 14 days (or whatever the math is) for the game to end. So...unless we double lynch, and the wolf's for some random reason kill solo, you should be fun. Have fun doing whatever you're doing!
Two weeks huh? Oh well. I can wait. In the meantime, I'll prepare for the opening of the WW saga (if it lasts long enough to be called a saga).
Old 09-17-2005, 06:31 AM   #1402
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Just wondering. If the seer decides to dream of someone and that someone is the cursed villager do I tell the seer that that someone is the cursed villager, or do I just say that that someone is an Ordinary villager? Wasn't sure.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:30 AM   #1403
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
The Seer can't see the Curséd.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 08:41 AM   #1404
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thats what I thought. Thank you.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:16 AM   #1405
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
Tolkien Francais? D'accord!

Now they're Curséd? Wow. They just be the french inhabitants of tinseltown.
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 09:31 AM   #1406
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

I love the idea of having french!!! I think I'll incorporate that in with my occupation......
Old 09-17-2005, 10:54 AM   #1407
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

Oi, I can't wait much longer. Well, atleast we picked a Saturday to start the first day, so I have College Football to keep me busy until we start. If it was a weekday (when nothing's ever on in the afternoon) I would explode.

And on another note. I work on Sunday from 1-6 (honestly they should declare working on Sunday illegal). So, I will be gone for probably 6-7 hours. Though, Sunday should be Night Phase...correct? So, I shouldn't be effected.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:35 AM   #1408
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Quote:
Oi, I can't wait much longer. Well, atleast we picked a Saturday to start the first day, so I have College Football to keep me busy until we start. If it was a weekday (when nothing's ever on in the afternoon) I would explode.
I agree!! Isn't there a way to speed up time!?!?!? I can't wait anymore!!! I'm going crazy!!!!!
Old 09-17-2005, 12:19 PM   #1409
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
While I do agree that an "open" game may make people raise their game ..they also may also be overwhelmed by very experienced players and just coast... if the big names aren't there they will have to participate more.

And I certainly wasn't suggesting that the rules should change ..or that the roles should be given patronising names. I just think that this is a game where experience does count. I think that games played rather than length of time would be a factor.... Also maybe divided games should be alternated with "open" ones.

If there is a continual demand for space.. the division of parralel games might be "short format" / " long format" . Not everyone can commit to a 20 bod game .

Since moderating is a lot of work, I would emphasise that the moderator should retain control over the kind of game they want to run. But that shouldn't really be affected by whether the game is palyed by tenderfoots or old hands. Mind you I seem to be the only mod who works to the beat of a different drum so maybe I am just talking for myself. A return to Midsommer Mawlin will involve retractable votes and the mythomaniac and will not involve Shirriffs..

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 12:24 PM   #1410
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

What I was thinking for it was to start off with the basicis. Have a maz of 15 people minimum of 12. Have 3 wolves, 1 seer, 1 hunter, 1 ranger. I was originally thinking of having only 1 shirriff but as Saucy pointed out to me in a PM, it would be pretty useless. So in addition to the othr roles, have 2 shirriffs and 1 cursed villager. Any other idea's????

Mith, exactly what do you mean by having divided games??
Old 09-17-2005, 12:41 PM   #1411
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glirdan
What I was thinking for it was to start off with the basicis. Have a maz of 15 people minimum of 12. Have 3 wolves, 1 seer, 1 hunter, 1 ranger. I was originally thinking of having only 1 shirriff but as Saucy pointed out to me in a PM, it would be pretty useless. So in addition to the othr roles, have 2 shirriffs and 1 cursed villager. Any other idea's????

Mith, exactly what do you mean by having divided games??

I meant that if 2 games were running at the same time the division did not have to be novices and experienced ... but could be one game with say only 12 people and just werewolfs seer and a big game with wolves, beorning, shirriffs the whole shebang.... just ideas...

Old 09-17-2005, 12:49 PM   #1412
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Quote:
I meant that if 2 games were running at the same time the division did not have to be novices and experienced ... but could be one game with say only 12 people and just werewolfs seer and a big game with wolves, beorning, shirriffs the whole shebang.... just ideas...
That's an idea. But if we were to do that, the ones who are in one can't be in the other because it just wouldn't be fair. I think we should make an exception for the mods though because if they're modding, they don't really get a chance to play so.... I like that idea though Mith.

As for today's game, I might not be able to post until tomorrow or late tonight, so don't expect me to come on for awhile.

Last edited by Glirdan; 09-17-2005 at 12:53 PM.
Glirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 12:59 PM   #1413
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

[QUOTE=Glirdan]That's an idea. But if we were to do that, the ones who are in one can't be in the other because it just wouldn't be fair. I think we should make an exception for the mods though because if they're modding, they don't really get a chance to play so.... I like that idea though Mith.

QUOTE]

Oh definitely - if people double up it defeats the object of running 2 games. And don't underestimate the time commitment of modding. It can be hard work to come up with good deaths... I had to out myself as a Tolkien fan while modding as part of the explanation why I wanted ideas of really gruesome ways to kill people...

Old 09-17-2005, 01:01 PM   #1414
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

You're kidding, right? Moderators simply cannot play in another game! The very notion is outrageous!

Seriously.
Old 09-17-2005, 01:04 PM   #1415
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Quote:
but could be one game with say only 12 people and just werewolfs seer and a big game with wolves, beorning, shirriffs the whole shebang....
We could do that with the one I'm modding and the one that Holby would be modding. That way, those who didn't get a chance to get in on Holby's game could come and play the one I'm modding and whatever role Holby doesn't include in hers, I could use in mine. So if she doesn't use the cobbler or bear, they could be in mine, or vice versa with the cursed villager and mythomaniac.

Quote:
You're kidding, right? Moderators simply cannot play in another game! The very notion is outrageous!

Seriously.
Ok, got the point. Mods can't participate in another game.
Old 09-17-2005, 04:13 PM   #1416
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
White Tree

I forgot that we aren't starting Day 1 until 7 pm (my time). That means Day 1 won't end until 7 pm tomorrow, which will effect me. I work til 6, so should be back before 6:30 to cast in a vote, but it will be very late vote, and you want see anything from me late in the Day.
Old 09-17-2005, 06:38 PM   #1417
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

I'm just making a little Moddess Goddess note here. When I sad to treat it like a role playing game I didn't acutally mean a role playing game. More use your career in the way you act, do and say things that you would say if you had that career. I didn't mean to describe your movements in third person like a real role plaring game.

I guess I confused everyone with that. Just play like you would play any other WW game.
Old 09-17-2005, 06:40 PM   #1418
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

White Tree

Wilwarin, you have to admit though, Phantom does a good job of it. Almost so good as to think he actually is a drunk. Anything you want to tell us Phantom?
Old 09-17-2005, 06:42 PM   #1419
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Yes he does do a good job. If you guys want to keep playing it as a RPG then feel free, but you don't have to. It might make this game seem a little different. Its up to the village.
Old 09-17-2005, 06:45 PM   #1420
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

White Tree

I would rather leave it as a personal choice. phantom does it so well it's amusing, me I just don't see myself doing that.

Though I think it's nice to incorporate everyone's occupation in, that does give it an RPG touch. The first game I played I don't think I did that very well.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:38 PM   #1421
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
I think I'll give RP mode a try, just for difference sake, although I'll drop it if there's a consensus that things are getting too confused.

Most impressive, phantom.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:43 PM   #1422
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

It might make for an interesting switch. However, I imagine the RPG fluff will get dropped pretty quick when the blood really starts flowing.

By the way, aren't we all supposed to not be posting in this thread?
Old 09-17-2005, 07:50 PM   #1423
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

I know we're not supposed to be posting here, but I kind of like this RP stuff instead of the usual. Though it probably won't last very long.
Old 09-17-2005, 08:19 PM   #1424
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan
By the way, aren't we all supposed to not be posting in this thread?
Yes.
Old 09-18-2005, 06:49 AM   #1425
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

I believe it already hasn't been lasting long. Which I kinda prefer, the RPG confused me a little.

And yes, you shouldn't be posting here.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:25 PM   #1426
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

I just noticed Zali hasn't been on since the 12 so I'm thinking she's gone somewhere and forgotten she signed up. I also have a feeling you guys are going to want to lynch her for that. I think you should probably give her an extra Day and if she still hasn't signed on I'll have someone replace her in the game.

Thank you.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:40 PM   #1427
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots I'm afraid I have to interject here...

...to say that I strongly object to the idea of somebody being brought in as a replacement player now that the game has started. If Zali is lynched for non-participation so be it, but there should not be anybody new brought in at this stage in the game.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:47 PM   #1428
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Did my bringing Gil back from the dead to replace Sophia create a precedent? Sometimes an omnipotent moddess goddess has to do what an omnipotent moddess goddess has to do.....

Old 09-18-2005, 12:48 PM   #1429
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

I agree with Kuru on this. We shouldn't bring someone in to replace her this far in the game.
Old 09-18-2005, 01:03 PM   #1430
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
i think we should, but only at first ask the people that dropped out if they want in
Old 09-18-2005, 01:04 PM   #1431
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Quote:
Did my bringing Gil back from the dead to replace Sophia create a precedent? Sometimes an omnipotent moddess goddess has to do what an omnipotent moddess goddess has to do
*cough* Some of us may have thought that was a bit "questionable."

I’m of the opinion that the mod is there solely to facilitate the amusement of the players and should thus keep as far out of the way as possible once the playing has started. I don’t think they should be making game altering decisions without it being clearly stated in the rules beforehand. In this case there was no mention made of replacement players.

Anyway, I’m going to quit being a hypocrite and stop posting on this thread.
Old 09-18-2005, 01:06 PM   #1432
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I am slightly playing devil's advocate here but having had to face such crises in my own game it may be the lesser of two evils. Use your imagination......

Old 09-18-2005, 01:55 PM   #1433
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan
*cough* Some of us may have thought that was a bit "questionable."

I’m of the opinion that the mod is there solely to facilitate the amusement of the players and should thus keep as far out of the way as possible once the playing has started. I don’t think they should be making game altering decisions without it being clearly stated in the rules beforehand. In this case there was no mention made of replacement players.

Anyway, I’m going to quit being a hypocrite and stop posting on this thread.
It was not an easy decision andin the end it did not make any difference. However my attitude was that the players were there to facilitate my amusement - which they agreed to when they signed up- which made my conscience clearer. So all difficult decisions were decided on the basis of "what is most interesting for me?". So much easier to please one person than 12....

Last edited by Mithalwen; 09-18-2005 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Worse than usual punctuation
Old 09-18-2005, 04:14 PM   #1434
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Alright then she won't be replaced. If she doesn't post at all in the next Day then she will be lynched along with whoever the village decides on, just like I said in the rules.

Is that better?

Don't answer that. You guys shouldn't be posting on this thread anyway.
Old 09-18-2005, 05:52 PM   #1435
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dûm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
Silmaril Oops!

Oh dear! I have been unable to get here for a while, and I come back to find that I am a member of the Werewolf game!! I had mentioned that I would like to be a part of it, but as it was while the previous game was still going, I thought I would have to post again to sign up. Forgive me please, fellow villagers. I am so embarrassed.

Thanks for not lynching me so far, but I still have a night to survive before I get too excited.

See you during the Day.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:54 AM   #1436
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
The easiest thing to do would be to kill non-participants. It's easier that way, they get kicked out and can't cause any more confusion in the village. It worked fine in my game.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 07:10 PM   #1437
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Not that it's going to matter, I thought I'd explain my absence for a few hours. I started bowling yesterday and it starts at 3:30. By the time I was done, it was about 5:45 and I had to eat when I got home and then my parents didn't let me go on the computer until 7. So.......

Anyway, I'm starting to plan the WW Junior game, if anybody has any suggestions for it, I'd love to hear it, but PM them to me because were not suppsed to post on this thread.........
Old 09-19-2005, 08:29 PM   #1438
Captain Grishnahk
Wight

Captain Grishnahk has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

This Game sounds like a lot of fun, but sadly every one on this site hates me ( )
Perky Ent: Good poems in the Evil Caves of Bad, but the Barrow Wight shut us up...

-The Captain

--J.R.R. Tolkien
Captain Grishnahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 06:48 AM   #1439
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Leave of absence from 8:00 am on Wednesday 21st to 18:30 (6:30) pm on Thursday 21st, GMT. Sudden and unavoidable English trip. Hope I don't miss too much crucial.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:33 AM   #1440
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

A message to all the current WW players. I said in the game thread that Alcarillo will be covering for me on Monday, but I changed my mind. I will be working till 7pm EST monday, right when I need to post the death. But it looks like it could possibly be the last day of the game, so I would really like to be the one that posts it. So eather you will see the death before 4pm EST , if all the votes have been cast by then. Or you won't see it till about 7:30pm EST. All depends on when all the votes are in.

Hope this doesn't cause to many problems.