The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > Haudh-en-Ndengin
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2001, 02:43 AM   #1
Heretic

Sting Question:

I don't have the book in front of me, so I apoloize for a mis-quote.

Gandalf said on the bridge in Moria "I have the fire of Arwen inside me," why did he say that?

Old 12-24-2001, 05:42 AM   #2
silme-ranaa
Animated Skeleton

silme-ranaa has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to silme-ranaa
Sting

i think he said,"You cannot pass.I am a servant of the Secret Fire,wielder of the flame of Anor.You cannot pass.The dark fire will not avail you,Flame of Udun.Go back to the Shadow.You cannot pass."

i dun think he has the fire of Arwen in him.Aragorn is more likely to have the fire of arwen in him.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. unknown
Old 12-24-2001, 08:10 AM   #3
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

slime-ranaa is correct. Gandalf didn#t say anything about Arwen [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-24-2001, 03:40 PM   #4
Heretic

Sting

I need to go read that part again, but I am away from home and the book. :-(

Old 12-25-2001, 07:12 AM   #5
silme-ranaa
Animated Skeleton

silme-ranaa has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to silme-ranaa
Sting

to answer ur question,Gandalf is the owner of one of the three elven rings.I forgot it's name but i know it'e the ring of fire.My guess is that that's what Gandalf meant.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. unknown
Old 12-25-2001, 06:23 PM   #6
Voronwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Voronwe has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

As a matter of fact I was never quite sure what Gandalf meant by those words on the Bridge. He says he's a "Servant of the secret fire" and "wielder of the flame of Anor".

The 'Secret Fire' is certainly mentined in the Ainulindale, and appears to be equivilent to the "Imperishable Flame". If I understand correctly, the Secret Fire is Iluvatar's creative activity - the thing which gives being to His creation. So in that case, assuming that 'Secret Fire' means the same in both places, Gandalf's first statement would be saying that he is a servant of Eru.

I am not sure what the second statement refers to. 'Anor' means the Sun, so he is basically saying he is the wielder of the flame of the sun, whatever that means. Is he refering to Narya? Or to something else entirely?

-Voronwe.