The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > Haudh-en-Ndengin
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2003, 07:45 PM   #1
Kiah
Animated Skeleton

Kiah has just left Hobbiton.
Question Thuringwethil

Thuringwethil the fell bat of Melkor, the messenger of Morgoth. Thuringwethil took the shape of a vampire it said in the Sillmarilion. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] What do you think Tolkien thought about vampires for his books?
Were they like the Dracula vampires? Or something else more ancient?
Old 05-06-2003, 09:29 AM   #2
Afrodal Fenyar
Haunting Spirit

Afrodal Fenyar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

They were bats. Big, nasty looking bats with big teeth and some evil spirit living inside them. But definitely not Draculas.

~Eomer
Old 05-29-2003, 11:23 PM   #3
Scott
Wight

Scott has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Scott
Tolkien

I'm sorry, but Dracula is a name, not a classification. However, it seems that Tolkien did intend his vampires to take on the contemporary traits of vampires of his time... eg. Stoker's renditions, as well as the early horror movies.
Which brings me to a question that's been annoying me for a while. Why would Tolkien, such an avid lover of mythologies and breaker of past molds, base his descriptions of vampires off of contemporary attitudes? It seems to me that the incubus/succubus legends along with the Greek lamiai legends would be more up his alley. Even the wurdalok legends from eastern europe/western asia (Russia) seem to be more of a logical choice to base Thuringwethil on. It could have been that he was drawing from some of the South American vampire legends, but I never really pegged him as having much interest in South American folklore.
Can anyone shed some light on this topic?
~Scott
Old 05-30-2003, 07:37 AM   #4
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I agree with Scott. I think that Tolkien based his vampires on the incubus/succubus legend and the Greek lamiai.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fėanor, and there he slew Finwė King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwė alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Old 05-30-2003, 08:44 AM   #5
Afrodal Fenyar
Haunting Spirit

Afrodal Fenyar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
I'm sorry, but Dracula is a name, not a classification
I know that, but I used that as a classification of those man-like vampires.

~Eomer
Old 05-30-2003, 06:07 PM   #6
akhtene
Shade of Carn Dūm

akhtene has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Frankly, I don't recall Thuringwethil playing any important role in Silm. To my mind she's mostly needed, so that Luthien could wear her hide /or cloak/ as a disguise. And what creature is better suited for it than a human-sized bat with large leathery wings and an extremely ugly 'face'?
Old 06-05-2003, 11:09 AM   #7
Oricon Ancalime
Pile O'Bones

Oricon Ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Oricon Ancalime
Sting

I always liked Thuringwethil, even though there's not a lot of information on her. Maybe it's way out there, but I always thought of her as Death- like Eru intended her to be a Grim-reaper-ish figure but she became dreadful when she went over to Sauron's side.
Old 06-05-2003, 11:42 AM   #8
Sharkū
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkū has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There are no 'vampires' in Tolkien's work. "His [Tolkien's] vampires" is an oxymoron.
"Vampire-form" (S77) does not constitute being a Vampire, certainly not so if skin-changing is implied. Beorn is a man, not a bear.

The most likely interpretation is:
"Vampire [...]
3. Zool.
a. One or other of various bats, chiefly South American, known or popularly believed to be blood-suckers." (OED² on CD-Rom, vamnpire, my stress"

Bear in mind that 'vampire-form' Thuringwethil had 'iron claws' and was thus virtually a bat and not a suave Romanian. Same goes for Sauron.

[ June 05, 2003: Message edited by: Sharkū ]
Old 06-05-2003, 12:54 PM   #9
Oricon Ancalime
Pile O'Bones

Oricon Ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Oricon Ancalime
Sting

Too bad. The world can always use more suave Romanians [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-05-2003, 03:31 PM   #10
Kiah
Animated Skeleton

Kiah has just left Hobbiton.
Question

I wasn't thinking of exactly a suave Romanian [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] but I agree with Scott's assessment of the vampire idea. I should go brush up on South American mythology.