The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > Haudh-en-Ndengin
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2003, 01:48 PM   #1
Elfchick7
Wight

Elfchick7 has just left Hobbiton.
Shield What are Uruk-hai?

What exactly are Uruk-hai and what is the difference between ocrs and goblins? i have an idea but neither I nor any of my friends know exactly.

------------------------------------

"All that glitters is not gold..."
Old 01-26-2003, 04:19 PM   #2
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

All the discussion on the Uruk-hai you could ever want can be found here. This would have also done better in the Books section. And welcome to the Downs. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-26-2003, 09:17 PM   #3
Iargwath
Wight

Iargwath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Iargwath Send a message via AIM to Iargwath
Silmaril

Well to sum it all up in short, for your first question:
What exactly are Uruk-hai?
As i recall, the Uruk-Hai were great soldier orcs of the Third age who were born and bred for battle, and could also able to endure the rays of the sun (as ordinary orcs could not)
what is the difference between orcs and goblins?
There seems to be little difference between the two. But the Goblins are shorter than the Orcs in apperance. This quote from 'The Hobbit' indicates there is a difference between the two:
Quote:
"[The Word'Orc'] occurs in one or two places but is usually translated goblin (or hobgoblin for the larger kinds)."
This quote refers to the goblins of the Grey and Misty Mountains.
Quote from: Foreward to The Hobbit

[ January 26, 2003: Message edited by: Iargwath ]

[ January 27, 2003: Message edited by: Iargwath ]

My M-e Forum
Old 01-27-2003, 05:13 PM   #4
Elfchick7
Wight

Tolkien

Thanks y'all! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

-----------------------

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all who wabder are lost; The old that is strong does nt wither, deep roots are not reached by frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring; Renwed shall be the blade that was broken, the crownless again shall be king."
Old 01-27-2003, 06:06 PM   #5
A Dwarf Friend

Sting

Do you have the LOTR: TT video game or the Directors cut DVD both of these have info on them

Old 01-27-2003, 06:33 PM   #6
Elfchick7
Wight

Shield

Nope. I've seen the directors cut edition, but I don't own it. Thanks anyway! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

----------------------------------

"You are wise and fearless and fair, Lady Galadriel," said Frodo. "I will give you the One Ring, if you ask for it. it is too great a matter for me."
Old 01-28-2003, 08:14 PM   #7
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

Quote:
Do you have the LOTR: TT video game or the Directors cut DVD both of these have info on them
I wouldn't take that as gospel, though. The films have them being bred by Saruman from orcs and "goblin men", whatever they may be.

In the books, they were bred by Sauron in Mordor, although by what method they were bred is not known. They are described in the Tolkien encyclopedia thus:

Quote:
They were black-skinned, black blooded and lynx-eyed, nearly as tall as Men and unafraid of light. The Uruk-Hai were of greater strength and endurance than the lesser Orcs, and more formidable in battle.
Old 01-29-2003, 01:39 PM   #8
annuncolloion
Pile O'Bones

annuncolloion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Orcs and Goblins are the same thing exactly. The only difference is the language. Orc is in the Common Tongue. Goblin is Elvish. Uruk-hai are a crossbreed between orcs and dark men from the south. Saruman made them.
Old 01-29-2003, 03:21 PM   #9
Elfchick7
Wight

Sting

That is exactly what i wanted to know. Thanks Annuncolloion. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

---------------------

"Liberty is not America's gift to the world it is God's gift to humanity."- George W. Bush
Old 01-29-2003, 07:40 PM   #10
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

Quote:
Orcs and Goblins are the same thing exactly. The only difference is the language. Orc is in the Common Tongue. Goblin is Elvish. Uruk-hai are a crossbreed between orcs and dark men from the south. Saruman made them.
Not sure what you mean by the languages. Orcs spoke Orcish, and Goblins probably did too (perhaps a different dialect).

Goblins are a type of Orc, although I always imagined them as smaller (perhaps that just comes from playing Dungeons & Dragons in my youth).

As for who created the Uruk-Hai and how, see my post above. You are talking about the film Uruk-Hai, a different kettle of fish from the Uruk-Hai in the books. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]