The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > Haudh-en-Ndengin
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2002, 07:06 AM   #1
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dûm

vanwalossien has just left Hobbiton.
Question Orcs or goblins?

Sorry if this is an amazingly stupid question, but hey, it's posted at the novices and newcomers for a reason. The Uruk-hai are what? In the movie Saruman says that they're a mix of orcs and goblins, but goblins and orcs always seemed like two names for one race to me.. Am I completely lost as usual? What's the difference between goblins and orcs?
Old 10-25-2002, 07:35 AM   #2
avarrogion
Wight

avarrogion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to avarrogion
The Eye

Well vanwalossien, i think in the movie Saruman said that Uruks are crossed between Orcs and the men of Gondor (someone pls clarify this) but i might be mistaken.
Saruman did also mentioned that how orcs were came to be. Orcs are actually Elves but tortured to the max and disfigured plus instilled with hatred and darkness so that they are evil. Yet again i might be mistaken but i juz love to give my thoughts into it hipe you don`t mind?
I dunno much about goblins but i think goblins are smaller in size than orcs (got this info by playing Magic: The Gathering) but much more cunning than Orcs. Some fantasy books which i read mentioned that Orcs are quite clumsy but deals heavy damage in battles therefore they are used as warriors or footmen in battles. Meanwhile Goblins are more like creatures of the night cunning thieves of imformation and properties so most people uses Goblins as scouts and spies plus thieves. Yet agin i might be wrong with all this infomation so kindly anyone help me out here!! Thank you juz helping sorry if i am wrong!
[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2002, 11:16 AM   #3
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Eye

I thought Orcs were the same thing as goblins, but while reading the Hobbit yesterday, I started wondering. It said something to the effect of Orcs from under the mountain, and for some reason I got the impression that they were a little different... bigger perhaps? I'll look through the book and see if I can find it...
Arwen
Old 10-25-2002, 11:22 AM   #4
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Something I found interesting was the sword Orcrist. It means goblin cleaver, which would lead me to believe Orcs and Goblins are the same. I'm still looking for that part in The Hobbit I was talking about...
Arwen
Old 10-25-2002, 11:35 AM   #5
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Here's the link to a good essay explaining why Tolkien used both terms goblin and Orc. Since it wasn't written by him, I don't know that it would be considered 'canon,' but it's good anyways. Relationship between goblins and Orcs
Arwen
Old 10-25-2002, 11:42 AM   #6
Demloth of Dol Amroth
Wight

Demloth of Dol Amroth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

personally, i call them annoying-screamy thingies-that-can-be-slain-quite-easily, but thats just me.
Old 10-25-2002, 09:29 PM   #7
avarrogion
Wight

avarrogion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to avarrogion
The Eye

Thanx for the link Arwen1858 it sure do clear my mind about the difference between orcs and goblins. Thag U Very Bunch.
[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 10-26-2002, 02:47 AM   #8
Gayametwen
Pile O'Bones

Gayametwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

From what I gather...Uruk-hai are just one of the breeds of Orcs..and orcs are different from goblins....because well....they ARE different...They are different breeds, they are also bred by different people...like Saruman or Sauron. Somewhwere in the book..I couldn't find the precice page..but some orcs have powers over others...like the one that was sniffing for sent, and the other in charge of it, different 'groups' and all that... Sorry..I can't seem to find the right book...
Old 10-27-2002, 02:15 PM   #9
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dûm

vanwalossien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Thanks for your help Arwen!
Old 11-24-2002, 01:47 PM   #10
Tyler
Animated Skeleton

Tyler has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tyler
Sting

I always took it as goblins lived in the mountains while orcs were more free range. Thay are the same thing but their have adapted to their enviroment. Goblins were smaller so thay could move better in smaller places which would give them the advantage or being underground. Orcs were bigger so thay could dominate things around them. Hey i could be very wrong in this but oh well.
Old 11-29-2002, 12:11 PM   #11
the witch king
Wight

the witch king has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

there the same thing! j.r.r.t. used them both for the same thing orcs=goblins goblins=orcs