The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > Haudh-en-Ndengin
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2002, 05:14 AM   #1
tian

Sting The Elves Hair

I've just noticed something unusual; Tolkien never mentions how long the elves hair really is. The movie makes them out to have long, pretty, but straight hair and that's how I've assumed them to be. However I saw some early drawings of artists inspired from Tolkien - and all the Elves have short, curly hair - rather like the Irish fairies are reputed to look like. Tolkien makes his Elves to have bright hair with a shining star or whatever, but did anyone actually notice if he actually described their length or texture?

-------------------

'Lle n'vanima ar' lle atara lanneina'
(You're ugly and your mother dresses you funny)

Old 04-14-2002, 05:58 AM   #2
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

No, I can't think of an answer to your question. The only known thing of elf-hair is that elves (just as men) have different colors too.
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
Old 04-14-2002, 07:15 AM   #3
Perethil
Pile O'Bones

Perethil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

red-headed elves.... cool [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-14-2002, 08:13 AM   #4
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Starbreeze has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Starbreeze
Silmaril

Hmm, I can't tell you that either. Interesting question.

To write is to make dreams, to make dreams is to awaken the fantasy of the mind, to awaken the mind is to be a master.
Old 04-14-2002, 08:15 AM   #5
Lomelinde
Haunting Spirit

Lomelinde has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Tolkien never specifically describes what elf-hair is supposed to look like, he just tells us what color hair certain elves have. This is yet another image that Tolkien left up to the reader, so use your imagination and picture them however you want. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-14-2002, 01:28 PM   #6
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Well, if you think about it, he rarely described the length of ANYONE'S hair, regardless of race.
Old 04-14-2002, 01:34 PM   #7
ElanorGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElanorGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I usually think of it being kind of longish, since elves are immortal and therefore have plenty of time to grow it out.
Old 04-14-2002, 04:47 PM   #8
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Well: that is the great thing about Tolkien: he leaves much up to the imagination. Since there are many colors, most likely there were different consistencies (wavy/curly/straight/thick/thin/oily/dry/etc). Also, I assume, if they wanted to, Elves could have cut their hair (with the blade of a sword or axe or even scissors, which they probably had somewhere of some variety). I imagine them with long hair, though, because, other than to keep it out of their faces, there would be no major point to it, for I am sure they did not worry about whether their hair was making a fashion statement or not [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] !
Old 04-14-2002, 11:12 PM   #9
tian

OK, thanks everybody! I guess what the elves look like are up to our own imagination. The movie had a nice interpretation of it, and I think on the whole they got it rather correct. Do you think there were any characters (elvish or not) that were cast really badly?

For me ... I think maybe Elrond? I liked him in the movie, but reading the book thought he acted rather strangely - rather evil; but it was still good!

Old 04-15-2002, 08:29 AM   #10
Niphredil Baggins
Wight

Niphredil Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

All of them had short hair? Surely not the women? Galadriel had braids, and Luthien grew her hair so long she could climb down a greattree with it! By the way, the string of the bow Legolas received in Lorien was made of elven hair.
Old 04-15-2002, 10:24 AM   #11
Perethil
Pile O'Bones

Perethil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

for some reason i really didnt imgine the male elves with long hair.. i sortof always thought they had shortish curlyish hair, a bit like that guy from incubus in the drive video. the females, well i always thought they had very hippie-like hair . alanis-like.
sorry about comparing elves to celebs, but its the best way i can describe it. when my hair grows over my ears and starts to curl i like to think (for some strange reason) it looks elvish..
Old 04-15-2002, 06:51 PM   #12
tian

Oh oops! Sorry Niphredil, you're right. I forgot to mention; it's only the men who had shortish air. The women (I saw an illustration of Arwen and Galadriel) had long hair, but it was wavy (kinda like Cate Blanchett's in the movie). Alanis-like also, I guess.

Old 05-25-2002, 03:46 PM   #13
Keeper-of-Vilya
Pile O'Bones

Keeper-of-Vilya has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

I always imagined elves having long hair, either straight or wavy... but definielty long. Don't know why just the way I always imagined them, like I always pictured Legolas having blond hair... Tolkien leaves it up to us to decide ! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-28-2002, 08:08 PM   #14
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Legolas' bow from Galadriel was strung from elf hair, so i always figured it was long.