The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-05-2003, 11:57 AM   #1
Mornie Alantie
Wight

Location: Somewhere above earth cause people say i should come down to it
Mornie Alantie has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Do you think that since ROTK is the LAST movie it will be seen less?

I was just thinking, Since the return of the king is the final LOTR movie, do you think less people are going to want to see it Plural amount of times? The return of the Jedi made the least. I think that since people will be watching the ending that they will most likely not want to see it more than a few times if they're not Barrowdowners.
Old 05-05-2003, 12:08 PM   #2
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Personally I think I would see it less because I'm getting kind of tired of Lotr. Fotr was seen so much because it was brand new then.<BR>But, Rotk is the grand finale and pretty darn huge. It may prove to be the most exciting and fantastic of the trilogy, and the most watchable-over-and-over movie. <BR>(Plus, it has Denethor in it, so nothing will hold me back each of the 30 times I'm seeing it )<P>(please excuse bad english. for some reason I cant talk today)<p>[ May 05, 2003: Message edited by: Meela ]
Old 05-05-2003, 12:15 PM   #3
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm sure repeat viewing for Return of the King will be down compared to the other films because, as you said, there's that sense of an ending. I'm sure DVD sales and all that will be just as good though.<P>I also think that a lot of people that don't normally watch fantasy film went to see Two Towers in the cinema after all the hype of Fellowship. I'm sure many of them loved it, but I'm sure there were those that didn't see what all the hype is about and won't go to see the third one.<P>You can only maintain this level of excitement so long. I don't think it should be looked upon as a failure or disappointment.<P>Of course, Return of the Jedi being the worst of the first three Star Wars movies didn't help at the box office either. I don't think RoTK will suffer that fate.<P>H.C.
Old 05-05-2003, 01:06 PM   #4
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would hope that more people would see it. I think it is going to be an absolutely spectacular film, and I hope that it will be the best of the three. I also think that I am going to see it more times because it will be my last chance to have this experience. After ROTK comes out there will be no more counting down to a certain date in December, waiting in long lines in the cold, and comparing the book to the film. I will want to prolong that experience for as long as I can, so I will probably go many, many times.
Old 05-05-2003, 01:11 PM   #5
NinjaFerret
Animated Skeleton

NinjaFerret has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to NinjaFerret
Sting

dude... It's the last one!! NO WAY it is going to flub. It is going to be just as, if not more popular and hot than the others. B/c Jackson has left SO MUCH for this movie. How can once be enough??? I hope he goes over 3 hrs and gives an intermission.
Old 05-05-2003, 01:57 PM   #6
Mornie Alantie
Wight

Location: Somewhere above earth cause people say i should come down to it
Mornie Alantie has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I know its gonna be the awsomest of the three, but have seen the end can give people that feeling that they don't need to see it in theaters anymore. And just hope they make the hobbit! many people want it!
Old 05-05-2003, 04:00 PM   #7
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hype works. I think this one will surpass the others in the hype category by a long shot (if that is possible)! Just think of all the fantastic commercials they are going to have - Orodruin in a torrent of flame - the lair of Shelob - armies and armies of Orcs and flying Nazgul - Mounted Riders of Rohan charging across the plain - Aragorn in all his splendor - Denethor looking stern - Gandalf at the Black Gate - Legolas and Arwen looking sexy - Gimli saying something funny - The White City!<P>With all that action and those potential teasers I daresay people won't be able to stay away from this one. I won't.
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 05:24 PM   #8
Arvedui
Haunting Spirit

Arvedui has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Please dont compare the Lord of the Rings movies with Star Wars. the success of these movies are already assured, and even if the attendance draw for return of the King is less than Two Towers (which beat out Fellowship), it is all paid for, and is a great finish! It was my opinion that it would be Two Towers that would make or break the movies, for if there was alot of disappointment with Fekkowship, then attendance would be down for Two Towers. The factor as to why attendance was higher for Two Towers is the great DVD package put out in 2002 that drew many who didn't pay any mind to Fellowship while in theatres, but decided to go see Two Towers after seeing the dvd at home. I think Return of the King will be on par with Two Towers in attendance because I don't think the 'DVD dividend' from the Two Towers will bring in as many new veiwers. We will see!
When Elendil fell, Isildur departed to take up the high kingship of his father, and committed the rule of the south in like manner to the son of his brother. He did not relinquish his royalty in Gondor, nor intend that the realm of Elendil should be divided forever.
Arvedui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 05:57 PM   #9
Nyneve
Animated Skeleton

Nyneve has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

No, because I think this movie is going to be the best so i will see it 10 times!
Old 05-05-2003, 06:01 PM   #10
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Only 10? <BR>I don't know about others, but I am going to see it <I>more</I> times than the others, because it is the last one... unless, of course, it comes out being bad. But I put enough faith in PJ to trust that that won't happen...<P>~Menelien
Old 05-05-2003, 07:47 PM   #11
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

If it does worse than the others, I'll personally even up the profits (provided I can steal enough money from corrupt companies and such; yep, you got it. I'm Legolin Hood!)
Old 05-05-2003, 07:57 PM   #12
Kiah
Animated Skeleton

Kiah has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Interesting thought ....I personally think that the movie will be seen by most people in my area like 6 to 7 times after it comes out 'cause we are all LOTR freaks or whatever you wanna call it. I saw TTT about 5 times in the movie the theaters and loved it despite they messed up a few things. I think they will do even better on ROTK than they did on the other two so people better watch it alot or they are missing out.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:22 PM   #13
CAZOZ

Sting

I think there will be diminishing returns.<P>I guess the reason TTT outdid FoTR is that many people who thought they wouldn't like FoTR skipped it at the movies and waited until dvd/video. Then their interest was awakened and they went to see TTT at the movies. This will probably be similar for The Matrix sequels.<P>Many of my friends were very apathetic about the fantasy genre and had the attitude of "Well, I don't really like that sort of thing but since everyone raves about it, it's worth a look" and then ended up loving it and seeing TTT in the cinema. This often happens with sequels to films which are original, unique or experimental such as The Matrix. People don't think they'll like them so they abstain, and then sure enough end up fans!<P>Regarding RoTK, I agree with the above sentiments about the closure to the saga. Sure, many people will see it more than once and most people who saw TTT (and enjoyed it) would most likely see RoTK in the cinema. But as it is, in essence, like watching the ending or the last third of a movie, I doubt it'll have multiple viewings to the scale of the first two. People would want to relive the first two before watching the end segment again.<P>Thus I <I>do</I> think that whatever bumper dvd that comes out afterwards will be a huge seller and lead to many a ten hour marathon!
Old 05-05-2003, 10:13 PM   #14
Tinuviel the Nightingale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tinuviel the Nightingale has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

No, I think that the interest will increase. <BR>Not just among hardcore Tolkien fans and movie fans, but with everyone who has seen the other two movies. <BR>Everyone will want to know the end result, and how it all turns out, etc.
Tinuviel the Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 12:56 AM   #15
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I disagree, I think that ROTK will definitely out do all the others <I>because</I> its the last one. All my friends who had thought that FOTR was really boring but loved TTT are positively wacko about ROTK and can hardly wait for it (well not as wacko as me ofcourse ) Anyways, think of how big the LOTR fan base has increased over the past few years since the movies came out, there are more and more hard core fans than ever before.<P>I also think that 2003 is the year of the sequels, so many majoy sequels are out this year such as Xmen2, The Matrix Reloaded etc. and I think ROTK is on the list (for most people)of must-see movies of the year. <P>And even if less people see the movies, theres always us B'downers who'll take their place
Old 05-06-2003, 12:57 PM   #16
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Denethor looking stern <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Legolas and Arwen looking sexy <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Denethor looking stern and sexy <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Better
Old 05-06-2003, 01:57 PM   #17
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think that because so much happens in so little time that people will have to go and see it more than once to fully understand it. I also think that more people will be interested in it because of all the hype from FOTR and TTT.