Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2006, 03:29 PM   #1
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Leaf Tapestry of Dreams, Part 2 Discussion

New team members, please feel free to post at will here. If you like, I can repost the pertinent game background from the first discussion thread.

In short: requirements regarding canonicity, style and tone -- "it shall be high, purged of the gross"-- remain unchanged. The goal of this game is, to produce a story that Tolkien would not disapprove of (and might even enjoy.)

With that, the discussion thread for Tapestry Book 2 is now open, and Alaklondewen is the delegate in charge.

Enjoy!!

---------------------------

Here's a quick link to Friends of Nimrodel: Tapestry of Dreams Part 1 RPG (now in Elvenhome).

~*~ Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 03-10-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:37 PM   #2
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thank you, Helen.

Over the next day or so, I will go ahead and dig up the helpful resources we've had from the old thread on distances, geographical goals, times/dates, etc., which will hopefully put us all on the same day and help the new players so you all don't have to figure it all out on your own.

I am honoured to be the delegate in charge and will do my best to live up to the standards of Gondor and this game.

~Alak
Old 06-11-2006, 06:30 PM   #3
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Character description: Sæthryd

NAME: Sæthryd

RACE: Human, Rohirric

WEAPONS: None

APPEARANCE: Sæthryd could be the perfect image of the Rohirric maiden – tall, blonde and blue eyed. From a distance, she appears beautiful. On closer inspection, she appears far older than her age and has what can only be described as a glint of manic intensity in her eyes, which tend to stare far away. What she ‘sees,’ she keeps to herself. She is unkempt and disheveled at home, but can put herself in order when required.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Insanity. But though Sæthryd is quite mad, she can hide her illness under reasonable words and actions when the apparence of sanity is needed to achieve her purposes. She possesses fanatical intensity over her obsessions, and she can be both ruthless and bold in their defense when threatened.

HISTORY: Sæthryd’s birth was an event of great joy to her parents, freeholders living near Dunharrow. At first, Sæthryd was an imaginative and playful child, and brought happiness into the lives of those around her with her gentle (if fragile) spirit and light-hearted ways. However, her imagination took a dark turn after she became lost on the paths leading to the Dwimorberg while rambling under the mountain's shadow. She was found three days after her disappearance, seemingly unharmed other than the expected hunger and fatigue of three days out of doors alone. Her rescue was a relief to her family, who feared the worst when she vanished. She never spoke of what had passed during those days, but it did not take long before the effects of her journey became apparent. While other children played, Sæthryd now wandered alone, talking and singing to herself of outlandish visions. At first her parents believed that she would outgrow what they thought was merely a wild imagination coupled with the terror of her three days at the foot of the Dwimorberg. But Sæthryd’s ‘imagination’ did not recede. Saying that the Dwimorberg and its inhabitants called to her, Sæthryd made numerous attempts to reach the Paths of the Dead, but was always stopped by her parents, who grieved for her shattered mind and hoped that she would one day be healed of her madness.

Sæthryd finally succeeded in reaching the Paths of the Dead a year after the War of the Ring concluded. With the curse removed and the Dead departed, no harm came to her, and she passed through to the other side of the Ered Nimrais safely. Having survived the journey, she developed a possessiveness about the mountain, believing that it belonged to her – and the visions she received of the inhabitants of the Paths of the Dead – alone. She then began the life of a hermit in the mountains and became a jealous guardian of the ways to the Paths of the Dead.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:49 AM   #4
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Okay, I'm still here... and still planning on being a part of this, at least as a minor participant.

I'd put up a character bio for Bergil right now, but it's late and it's so hard to get motivated when one's going through a rough night of the soul, so to speak.... but I promise to get it up within the next few days.

Oh, and on the Old Discussion Thread, Alak mentioned the possibility of Elessar having a cameo... if so, who would play him?
Old 06-13-2006, 05:34 AM   #5
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil
Oh, and on the Old Discussion Thread, Alak mentioned the possibility of Elessar having a cameo... if so, who would play him?

A "canonist".

Last edited by mark12_30; 06-13-2006 at 06:47 AM.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:53 PM   #6
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12_30

But where would we find one of those.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:40 PM   #7
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

So...

Does Rugh know of Sæthryd? What do the Wild Men think of her if they do know of her? Are there tales of the wild-eyed woman in the mountains? Is she thought of as a witch? Will he try to change the women's minds from going toward the Paths of the Dead?

...just a few questions to raise discussion with the two characters we have.

Formendacil, how does Friday, June 23 sound as a deadline for Bergil? If that's not enough time, let me know, but it would be good to have by then.

Also, anyone who hasn't created a bio yet, feel free to post it when finished, and you all can work on first posts as well. If you have questions about locations or anything else, really. Just ask.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:03 PM   #8
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

I'd expect that Sæthryd would be rather well-known in the mountains. She's something of a fixture there, and is given to outbursts, so there would most likely be a warning to avoid places where she was known to appear. Warnings against the wild woman of the mountains. I like it.

First post coming over the weekend.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:49 PM   #9
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaklondewen
Formendacil, how does Friday, June 23 sound as a deadline for Bergil? If that's not enough time, let me know, but it would be good to have by then.
More than doable...

but be warned that it may be Thursday night....

Seriously, I should have it done well before then, but lazy is as lazy does... and lazy does little.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:52 PM   #10
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Quote:
Seriously, I should have it done well before then, but lazy is as lazy does... and lazy does little.
No, no, it's called productive procrastination.

Last edited by alaklondewen; 06-20-2006 at 05:37 PM.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:30 AM   #11
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
So...book two starts with the men leaving Gondor and the women sticking around?
Old 06-16-2006, 03:13 PM   #12
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Close, but not quite. Book 1 will end with the men setting out. However, if the women run off (by dreams or rebellion or whatever), it will end with them finding out the ladies are gone and heading out in search. In game time, it would be great for the women to take off the night before so that their disappearance is discovered right before the men leave.

Then Book 2 will then begin where Book 1 leaves off.

Does that make sense?
Old 06-18-2006, 03:53 PM   #13
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

First post: Sæthryd

Dawn came grey and cold in the hills of the Ered Nimrais. The pale, chilled sun shone at its weakest over a ramshackle wooden hut, overhung by a grove of dying trees. Gloom hung in the air. Yet despite the dismal scene, a few pallid rays, mingled with light flurries of snow, made their way to shine through the unpatched chinks in the hut’s poorly repaired roof and the few spaces left around its shade-darkened windows.

The hut’s interior would now have been almost visible to a visitor, had any been bold or foolish enough to venture near it. Evil rumors surrounded the valley it occupied: rumors of a cruel witch - or wraith - who haunted the valley, turning it to a place of dread. Few of the hill-folk dared to come near. And if they did venture near the cursed valley, for so it was named since Sæthryd had come there, they returned with a haunted look in their eyes and faintly whispered tales of ill fortune barely escaped. If they returned at all. It was little wonder that the hut saw few guests.

The sun crept higher, and the light grew brighter. Now it illumined a dusty table and chairs, a few wooden dishes, metal knives, a few traps for game. And, in a corner, a few strands of blonde hair on a pillow. Below the hair, a pale face slumbered until, as the light rose again, the eyes snapped open. Sæthryd awoke.

She rose, stretching her arms above her, and stalked to her fire. Its last embers were beginning to go out. She added a fresh log and stirred the dwindling flame back to life. A red light flashed over Sæthryd, casting her shadow over the walls around her.

How many years had she been here, living this solitary existence? Sæthryd had lost count. One day flowed into the next, adding at last into weeks, months, and years. Little interrupted her routine. Up in the morning, a quick meal, and out to scavenge a few roots and herbs. To check her snares for meat. And, most importantly, to see that no intruders trespassed upon the secret ways of the mountains.

For those secret paths belonged to the Dead. Most had gone, years ago, before Sæthryd came to her hidden valley, before she walked along the ways they once haunted. Yet their presence remained. She knew. She saw. She heard, as now and again, the dead spoke to her. Of course they did. It was only natural that they did so. For she was dead too. Sæthryd never lived. She was born dead beneath the shadow of the dead mountain. Born dead to walk with the dead until at last her body completed its slow death and left her lifeless mind to wander free. That was how things were meant to be. That was why the dead had chosen her as their guardian. She knew it was so.

A thrashing in the brush caught Sæthryd’s ear. The valley is ours. The paths are ours. They belong to us. They belong to the dead alone. Abandoning the fire, she threw her door ajar and ran barefoot into the snow. The valley was hers. No one must be allowed to enter. She hurried to the sound, half bent at the waist, her hair flying in the waxing wind, and lunged into the winter-bare branches. They scratched her cheek, drawing blood. But she pushed on undaunted, until, the source of the disturbance discovered, she stopped.

A crow flapped in the brush, its foot caught in one of Sæthryd’s snares. She reached out grinning and snatched the bird, crushing its throat in her hands. It struggled to free itself and its wings flapped frantically. But Sæthryd did not cease the pressure of her fingers. The crow grew still. It is well. You too are now dead, little bird. As are all here. It is well. You may pass. Still smiling, she took the bird’s body and hurried back to her hut. It was cold, and her limbs ached for the warmth of the fire.

Inside, the fire was roaring. Ducking outside again briefly, Sæthryd scooped snow into a kettle and set it over the fire to melt. She sat by the fire, plucking and dressing her victim and, as she cut the bird into pieces and dropped them into the kettle, Sæthryd sang wordlessly in her mirth.

The snow began to fall heavily. A wind blew down the valley. Sæthryd’s song, like a wail both cold and wild, rose with the smoke of her fire. The noise, borne aloft by the weather, journeyed afar to be heard by the hill folk. They heard her call and whispered in frightened voices. The wild woman was awake.

~*~

Open for comments, suggestions, revision, or catcalls.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:47 PM   #14
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Thumbs up

Very nice, Celuien...she's quite a disturbing woman...I like it!

Feanor had a great question on the old thread about filling out a survey so we can all get to know the new writers. This is what Helen had previously said:

Quote:
Originally posted by mark12_30
By the way, I'm trying to get a mental picture of each of you as writers and people, so I've been browsing profiles and questionnaires (remember "All About You"? I have very little info on either littlemanpoet or Imladris. If that's how you like it, I don't mean to pry! But if you'd like to add an "All About You" post or whatever that would be good too...

Part of the reason why I'm asking, is that I like to understand where people are coming from morally and spiritually-- mostly so I can avoid offending folks unneccessarily. Also I find it easier to explain what I'm thinking if I understand where others are coming from.

I think I'm formulating an RPG Writers' Questionaire of my own as I write this... (bubble, bubble, simmer...) Sure enough, here it is-- Please note it's totally OPTIONAL... If you do decide to fill it out you can either PM or email anwers-- no need to post 'em here if you don't want to.

optionaloptionaloptionaloptional
AllAboutFriendsOfNimrodel.rtf
optionaloptionaloptionaloptional
I say "yes" to filling them out if you are interested. I've only worked with Firefoot out of the new writers, so it would be a great way to get to know you all.

~Alak
Old 06-18-2006, 05:36 PM   #15
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Quote:
Very nice, Celuien...she's quite a disturbing woman...I like it!
Thanks!

Survey below:

The usual "All About You" questions:
Name (that you go by): On the Downs, Celuien. In RL, Nichole.
Occupation: Senior in medical school (well, in a couple of days)
Future Aspirations: Getting my residency in ophthalmology. Having a family - one of these days...
Goal in life: I guess that my ultimate goal is to live the best life I can from a morals and values perspective. And by doing so, to hopefully contribute towards making the world a better place. Does that sound too egotistical? I mean, I don’t expect to single handedly fix the world’s troubles ( ), but I do want to accomplish what I can, even if only in a small way.
Short term goals: Surviving the last year of med school. Graduation. Residency.
Passion: Life! Everything about it!
Hobbies: Procrastination. Playing the viola and piano. Website coding. Nature walks. Going to concerts and art museums.
Famous for (brag about yourself): Notorious for my weird sense of humor. Some people say I’m famous for being calm and never losing my temper. I hope so. But more on that later. Being the 'baby' of my class - I'm a little younger than my colleagues.
Fave book: Four way tie: The LotR. Silmarillion. Pride and Prejudice. Far from the Madding Crowd.
Fave movie: This changes frequently. Mr. Deeds Goes to Town. The Lion in Winter. Casablanca. The Fellowship of the Ring.
Fave sport: Not all that interested in sports.
Fave store: Um… The grocery market? If not that, the music store to browse the sheet music collection. But my favorite one (Theodore Presser) only has a catalog now. No more walk in shop, sadly.
Fave music: Early Romantic era classical: Beethoven, Schubert, Mendelssohn. Also other historical periods: Tchaikovsky, Brahms, Mozart, Bach, Handel.
What you can't stand: Hatred, prejudice, bigotry.
What you plain dislike: Rush-hour traffic. Rudeness.
Who you admire: Anyone who treats others with kindness and patience.
What you most love to do: See hobbies.
Your self-confessed flaws: Getting back to that temper. I really have a hot-headed streak. Guess it’s the Southern Italian/Sicilian half in me. But I’ve learned to keep it under wraps most of the time, which I guess is a strength. I don’t always have as much patience as I’d like. And when my impatience or temper start to get out of hand, I can be sarcastic. I don’t like it. I have a tendency to hide my real self behind a wall of humor because I find it hard to talk about myself openly in RL until I really get to know someone well, which takes me a long time.
What intrigues/fascinates you: People. I’m a major people watcher. I like to try to get inside people’s heads and figure out what makes them act the way they do.
What scares you: Back to what I can’t stand.
Quotation to live by: “What is hateful to yourself, do not do to your fellow man.”

Value-specific:
What do you want most in a friend? Loyalty and kindness
What do you want most in a teacher? Patience and enthusiasm
What do you want most in an ally? Loyalty. Again.
What do you want most in a team-mate? Loyalty. Yet again. And good listening/coordinating skills.
What do you want people to remember most about you? When all is said and done, I’d like to be remembered as someone who cared.

Writer-specific:
Your favorite work you've written so far: I’m not sure. It’s been a long time since I did any serious (read: non-technical) writing on my own. Biology major in college. Medical school now. Not much creative writing involved, or much time for anything outside of classes. And I tend to take a red pen to anything I write. Repeatedly. Actually, I find it very hard to reread what I write because I always find something I could have done better.
Your favorite character so far: See above.
What you plan to write soon: Posts for this game.
What inspires you to write: My characters. Once I come up with a character that I like, I enjoy putting them into situations and seeing how they deal with what happens. For getting ideas on what to write, I’m inspired by things I observe. The weather. People watching. Just about anything, really.
What makes your writing stall: Not knowing my characters well enough to understand how they would react to a scenario.
Do you get writers' block and how do you overcome it? Absolutely yes. I overcome it by taking a long walk in the woods. Nature has a way of clearing my head and giving me a new perspective on my problems. Either that or listening to music.

Middle-Earth specific:
Your favorite ME character(s)? Frodo. Sam.
What do you like about them? Friendship, loyalty, determination.
Your favorite moment(s) from the Trilogy? The farewell at the Grey Havens. The Choices of Master Samwise – favorite moment is when Sam holds up the Phial over Frodo. “And for a moment he lifted up the Phial and looked down at his master, and the light burned gently now with the soft radiance of the evening-star in summer, and in that light Frodo's face was fair of hue again, pale but beautiful with an elvish beauty, as of one who has long passed the shadows. And with the bitter comfort of that last sight, Sam turned and hid the light and stumbled on into the growing dark.” That's memorized.
Your favorite plot twist(s) from the Trilogy? Gandalf’s return as Gandalf the White.
Looking at your personality as it is, what race do you belong to in Middle-Earth and why? Probably human, though the personality tests always say that I’m an Elf. I’m very interested in music, literature and history. Elvish traits. But I don’t want to drag the world into the past or think that its peak is already gone. I’m looking to the future, and have a hopeful view of what's to come for the world, which is more human than Elvish. Or so I think.
What race would you *like* to belong to in Middle-Earth and why? Sindar. I’m fascinated by the Elves. I love their culture and knowledge. Though I’m not sure I’d want to be immortal and watch the world – from the established Elven perspective – slipping downhill. The High Elves are too distant for me, though, and I don't like the Kinslaying incident, so I prefer the Sindar.
What place(s)would you live in Middle Earth and why? Rivendell. Center of knowledge and learning.
Where would you want to visit? Why? The Shire, for the experience of the Hobbits’ lifestyle. Such fun.
How would you travel? On foot. I think you can really learn so much more about a place by walking it. It makes me feel more a part of the setting.
Besides the usual camping & travel stuff, what single special item is in your knapsack and why? Camera. For memory preservation. Maybe I am an Elf after all…

And that's all!
Old 06-19-2006, 01:20 AM   #16
Formendacil
Dead Serious

A survey?

You people DO know that I can't pass those things up...

Yes, I'm still not done Bergil's stats... Patience is a virtue...

Name (that you go by): Formendacil (or Form, Formie) around here. Michael in "real" life.
Occupation: Making pizza. (Horrid job- 'tis only a place-filler prior to school this fall)
Future Aspirations: Ordination to the priesthood. And then it's wherever God's winds take me.
Goal in life: To die with a funeral too full to fit in any one church. Or, in other words, to have them say "he was a good man"- and mean it.
Short term goals: Survive a month and a half more of pizza, visit 'Downers in Massachusetts, and get through a yard of red tape.
Passion: Liturgy- of pretty much any sort.
Hobbies: Reading... writing... LEGO!
Famous for (brag about yourself): "Smart aleck" in Sunday School, "the boy who wants to be a priest" in Church. A wry sense of humour. Too much LEGO.
Fave book: Either the Silm or the Lord of the Rings, depending on my mood...
Fave movie: At the moment... the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, but I won't stay pinned down on this matter.
Fave sport: Bunnock. Ever heard of it? I thought not.
Fave store: Toys 'r Us.
Fave music: Classical, followed by Country, but I'll listen to anything except Rap (and songs with lyrics that are... you know...). Pachelbel's Canon remains my favourite.
What you can't stand: Boorishness to women, bigots, people who patronise me.
What you plain dislike: People who order pizza at 12:59 am.
Who you admire: Pope Benedict... and it's not just the "I'm Catholic and want to be a priest" thing. He's good with words, good with ideas, a little shy, and very pious. Very similar to me in some respects- very inspiring in others.
Your self-confessed flaws: Irritation with idiots. Overweening pride. Poor ability at expressing my friendships.
What intrigues/fascinates you: The English language. So many meanings... so many words.
What scares you: Moths. The Devil.
Quotation to live by: "Take counsel with thyself and remember who and what thou art"- J.R.R. Tolkien

Value-specific:
What do you want most in a friend?
Loyalty and longevity.
What do you want most in a teacher? Clarity.
What do you want most in an ally? Intelligence and trustworthiness.
What do you want most in a team-mate? A team ethic.
What do you want people to remember most about you? That I loved the Lord my God with all my heart and soul, body and mind, and that I loved my neighbour as myself.

Writer-specific:
Your favorite work you've written so far:
I think it might be a 14-page, handwritten letter to Abercrombie of Rohan written while camping (yes, I had too much free time). It was rather pointless, rambled, and could have used some polish... but it was fun!
Your favorite character so far: For a gamer being invited to Gondor... I haven't got very many. Let's say Estahir, from the Green Dragon.
What you plan to write soon: Posts here, posts in AtM2, posts in the Eorling Mead Hall, posts in Werewolf, posts in Hookbills game, various PMs of overlong natures, application forms... and who knows what else...
What inspires you to write: That.... I dunno... itch, I guess... That desire to string words together and spin them into something moving and entertaining. I guess it's the desire to be like Tolkien.
What makes your writing stall: Overextending myself. Either that or running into real life problems that take away my time, so that I return without my initial enthusiasm.
Do you get writers' block and how do you overcome it? On occasion, yes. Typically, I can write through it, if properly guilted. I generally tend to feel dissatisfied with what I write in those times, though. Discussing plots and characters and reliving the "glory days" will usually pull me back.

Middle-Earth specific:
Your favorite ME character(s)?
Gandalf, Aragorn, Elrond, Túrin.
What do you like about them? Gandalf's humanity mixed with wisdom, Aragorn's confidence, Elrond's calm, and Túrin's... flawedness.
Your favorite moment(s) from the Trilogy? The "Voice of Saruman". The whole chapter is... delicious. And the farewell to Treebeard/final breaking of the Fellowship.
Your favorite plot twist(s) from the Trilogy? Frodo didn't die in Cirith Ungol!
Looking at your personality as it is, what race do you belong to in Middle-Earth and why? Probably Númenorean- of the Faithful, I hope. I am smart, and, let's face it, I'm rather proud of that fact. I'm also generally serious. I even look the part a little: six feet tall and dark hair. Otherwise, I'd be a Noldorin Elf, save that I lack the capacity for fiery wrath.
What race would you *like* to belong to in Middle-Earth and why? The Vanyar. To sit at the feet of Manwë, and be content...
What place(s)would you live in Middle Earth and why? The Shire... for it is much like home.
Where would you want to visit? Why? Minas Tirith- 'tis the Rome of it's world: centre of learning and wisdom and an ancient city of ruins and tales.
How would you travel? Can't ride, can't swim, can't drive (this being Middle-Earth), I guess I'd walk. But, being a pavement pounder of sorts... that's fine by me.
Besides the usual camping & travel stuff, what single special item is in your knapsack and why? My breviary. Don't always use it... but I always have it on me so that the possibility of me smartening up and doing it regularly is always there.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:42 AM   #17
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Name (that you go by): Laura

Occupation: library clerk, student, editor, writer, visual artist

Future Aspirations: live happily ever after in all the important ways.

Goal in life: become one with everything

Short term goals: graduate on time...

Passion: creation

Hobbies: collecting and playing with toys

Famous for (brag about yourself): role reversals.

Fave book: The Time-Traveler's Wife

Fave movie: Pan's Labyrinth

Fave sport: curling

Fave store: any book or art store

Fave music: whatever, really, seems like a good idea at the time.

What you can't stand: hypocrisy

What you plain dislike: lima beans

Who you admire: His Holiness, the Dalai Lama

What you most love to do: I like to be

Your self-confessed flaws: I have about *this* much confidence most of the time, though I’m arrogant enough in seeming to fool most people; I’m a perfectionist when it comes to myself but I don’t always give others enough credit; when I’m scared or angry I sometimes say cruel things; I forget to eat for extended periods of time; I can’t concentrate unless I’m doing yoga; I don’t always pay attention to how legal things are; I forget to take care of my own health because I’m more concerned with other people’s...

What intrigues/fascinates you: love

What scares you: love

Quotation to live by: Wheresoever you go, go with all of your heart. -Confucius

Value-specific:

What do you want most in a friend? honesty

What do you want most in a teacher? creativity

What do you want most in an ally? A good left hook. Kidding… actually, honesty. Tell me if I’m wrong, don’t just stick blindly with me. I appreciate clear vision in those helping me. I'd never forgive myself if I accidentally led someone into a bad situation because they didn't think they could tell me I was being stupid.

What do you want most in a team-mate? communication

What do you want people to remember most about you? That whether or not I succeed, I do try.

Writer-specific:

Your favorite work you've written so far: It's called Sketches. Short story.

Your favorite character so far: Nick Whitby. Chef extraordinare, painter, solo academic with a thing for therianthropy. Has zilch idea how money functions in the real world, a twin sister, and an unrequited love for his best friend's girl, who was formerly his. Yeah... He's a sweetheart. Fun to write...

What you plan to write soon: a piece of what I'm told is creative non-fiction, a new climax for a novel that's been eating me (because I screwed up the climax), a short involving a shrink who wears tube socks under his man-sandals.

What inspires you to write: everything: the blue of the sky, the green of leaves in mid-July, babies laughing, a tall latte, the sizzle of bacon, the breeze that comes just before the cliched calm before the storm... being tired, being sad, smiling; sarcasm, cruelty, kindness; the color of pistachio pudding...

What makes your writing stall: occasional bouts of no confidence, exhaustion…

Do you get writers' block and how do you overcome it? Yes; procrastination in the form of doing a billion other things until I have nothing left to distract me from being unable to think of anything; ask for advice that I may or may not take...

Middle-Earth specific:

Your favorite ME character(s)? Fingolfin, Feanor, Eomer, Boromir, Morgoth

What do you like about them? Bravery, creative spirit, loyalty, I’m not quite sure, and pure conflict, respectively.

Your favorite moment(s) from the Trilogy? When the cock crows at sunrise and the Rohirrim appear to save Minas Tirith to the sounds of trumpets.

Your favorite plot twist(s) from the Trilogy? Eowyn/Dernhelm

Looking at your personality as it is, what race do you belong to in Middle-Earth and why? Noldo. Numenorean. One of those...

What race would you *like* to belong to in Middle-Earth and why? Elves; though they’ve experienced all of the world’s sorrows, they never fail to appreciate even the smallest of the beauties.

What place(s)would you live in Middle Earth and why? Dol Amroth… though I’ve got this thing about getting in the water, I love to be by the ocean and I suspect the sun over the water is rather amazing… I could happily live with Beorn though, and enjoy his diet.

Where would you want to visit? Why? Mount Doom; volcanoes, though they terrify me, have long held my fascination.

How would you travel? By horse: fast enough to avoid boredom on the road, slow enough to appreciate the journey.

Besides the usual camping & travel stuff, what single special item is in your knapsack and why? A beat up blue notebook with a black gel pen tucked into the spiral binding.

Last edited by Feanor of the Peredhil; 01-11-2008 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:10 PM   #18
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Reading Tapestry 1 again, I've got this notion that I'm not going to be put out about if it's too intimidating. Here it is; feel free to just tell me 'no'.

Not only to write fun characters and an interesting story, but make Tapestry 2 something readers not only want to, but enjoy reading on its merits as a good ripping yarn.

What does that mean? It means working together in discussions to post great mixes of narrative, action, dialogue, and inner-thought stuff. For example: I tend to post too much dialogue and not enough of the other stuff. Other writers get into the heads of their characters so much that I start to nod off. Shoot for balance that attracts the reader. If you don't want to shoot for this, I'm cool with it, but I'm going to shoot for it myself.

Reactions? Whippings? Thoughts? *LMP ducks*
Old 06-19-2006, 04:38 PM   #19
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
make Tapestry 2 something readers not only want to, but enjoy reading on its merits as a good ripping yarn.
I whole heartedly agree. It's one of the reasons I came back to the RPG -- so that it would force me to write on a semi regular basis but also so that I could improve it.

Old 06-19-2006, 04:49 PM   #20
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

No need to duck, lmp. I think it's a great suggestion.

My own problem is of the 'too much inside the character's head' variety.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:58 PM   #21
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

I totally agree as well. Focusing on the reader is a great point. I tend to get wrapped up in details and "missing" something, instead of ensuring my posts are "good reads".

I'm really glad you brought that up, lmp.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:41 PM   #22
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
What everyone else said.

Those surveys look fun. Can you guys believe it's been about two and a half years since we started?

Last edited by Aylwen Dreamsong; 06-19-2006 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:07 PM   #23
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Name (that you go by): Wouldn’t you like to know…

Future Aspirations: To do something really adventurous sometime in my life; maybe write a book

Goal in life: Be able to love the Lord with all my life.

Short term goals: finish the Bible by the end of summer (now in Jeremiah), survive the second half of high school and figure out what the heck it is that I want to do afterwards

Passion: pursuing beauty

Hobbies: reading, writing, drawing

Famous for (brag about yourself): being smart

Fave books: LotR (need I say it?), Harry Potter, To Kill a Mockingbird, Lord of the Flies, Narnia books, Pride and Prejudice, The Giver, White Fang, The Once and Future King

Fave movie: LotR, Pirates of the Caribbean, Seabiscuit, Star Wars Episode III, Titanic, Ice Age II

Fave sport: soccer and I love horseback riding but almost never get to…

Fave store: Any book store.

Fave music: Soundtracks and contemporary Christian

What you can't stand: Idiots, the types of cartoons they put on TV these days

What you plain dislike: English class, dishonesty

Who you admire: I dislike the word “admire.” Most respect: my mom and my uncle

What you most love to do: see hobbies; also running, hiking, horseback riding (alas, those last two are all too scarce in my life…)

Your self-confessed flaws: shyness, overanalyzing things

What intrigues/fascinates you: Life and love

What scares you: That this might be all there is in life

Quotation to live by: Just one? I love quotes… “I would rather live in a world where my life was surrounded by mysteries than in a world so small my mind could comprehend it.”

Value-specific:
What do you want most in a friend? Honesty, loyalty, and a sense of humor
What do you want most in a teacher? Patience and the ability to make the class/subject interesting
What do you want most in an ally? Intelligence and loyalty
What do you want most in a team-mate? Trust
What do you want people to remember most about you? That I lived life for God

Writer-specific:
Your favorite work you've written so far: Probably a short story I called “My Guardian Angel.” It’s hard to summarize but if you really want to you can read it here

Your favorite character so far: This is hard; I like different things about all my characters. I guess I’ll say Siamak.

What you plan to write soon: a first post for this, various other RPG posts, and story that I’m having a lot of trouble with

What inspires you to write: Lots of different things; emotions, events, often other writers in RPG’s; I’ve found that the RotK and TTT soundtracks are excellent to write to

What makes your writing stall: Mostly getting caught up in technical details that may or may not have anything real to do with the plot

Do you get writers' block and how do you overcome it? Yes; in fact I’ve been going through it in the past week or so; sometimes forcing myself to write after I’ve put it off for too long will work; other times, exercise, a shower, and some music (classical for writing; I get distracted by words because then I have to sing along…) will help.

Middle-Earth specific:
Your favorite ME character(s)? Frodo, Sam, Merry, Aragorn, Faramir, Feanor

What do you like about them? Frodo, I just identify so much with, esp. at the beginning of the book. Frodo fascinates me. I can’t help but love Sam for his loyalty and straight-forwardness. Merry, I identify with him a bit as well. Aragorn, just because… I could admire him. Faramir, another just because… Feanor because he fascinates me. Fatally flawed characters do that for me – it’s the same thing with Anakin in Star Wars.

Your favorite moment(s) from the Trilogy? All of the Mt. Doom chapter, the charge of the Rohirrim, Strider in the Prancing Pony, the last pages of the chapter The Flight to the Ford, Gandalf’s return

Your favorite plot twist(s) from the Trilogy? Frodo not being dead, Eowyn’s revealing herself

Looking at your personality as it is, what race do you belong to in Middle-Earth and why? I don’t think I really fit squarely into any race – not Dwarves. Hobbits, for my love of simple things (I’m probably too adventurous for them, though), Elves for my love of beauty (not necessarily all this preservation, though)
What race would you *like* to belong to in Middle-Earth and why? I would not want to be a Dwarf, and probably not an Elf either. Rohirrim or Hobbits (maybe a Took or Brandybuck?)

What place(s)would you live in Middle Earth and why? Edoras/Rohan – has it all – rolling plains, mountains, rivers… and the horses…

Where would you want to visit? Why? Rivendell would be nice; Minas Tirith perhaps; the Shire

How would you travel? Horseback!

Besides the usual camping & travel stuff, what single special item is in your knapsack and why? I never travel anywhere without a good book and a camera, but the book probably gets more use. I need that time to read at the end of the day – especially if I’m traveling with other people. Alone time is a must.

Phew! I think that I think way too much about these things... they take forever to fill out.

First post coming soon. I know sort of what I want to write about and was going to try to do it tonight, but this took all my time...

Quote:
What everyone else said.
Yes, that.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:31 PM   #24
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I can't believe I forgot to mention my camera! You know that last survey question about what is always in your bag? My camera, mini tripod, extra batteries, and extra memory card. It's nearly always with me unless I'm going somewhere where I have access to somebody else's camera. I take it for granted so I forgot until now, but yeah... huge part of me. It's practically attached.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:03 AM   #25
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

First post

The birds twittered on heedlessly. No travelers passing by would ever guess that those parts of the mountains were inhabited by any other than themselves, except for perhaps the uncomfortable feeling of being watched, for so they would be.

Higher in the White Mountains than other Wild Men were wonted to go dwelled a single Wild Man whose only company were those heedless birds. But dwelling is a relative term, for he did not dwell there as the Stone Folk did in their fortresses of rock, or even as birds in their nests, but rather as a fish might dwell in the sea or a horse on the plains. He wandered, keeping careful watch over the mountains and taking pleasure in the small things life brought to him, and was content.

Presently Rugh sat meditatively beneath the shadowy trees in the cold predawn light, awaiting the rising sun and listening to the rumors of the earth. He was troubled. Strange things were happening, unnatural things he did not know about or understand, only that they seemed to be epitomizing here, in these mountains.

Then he took hold of a thick dead branch on the ground near him and broke off a short piece. He felt compelled to carve, as if the earth itself was urging him on. He started at the bottom with gently flowing curves, which transformed into confused angles – lost, searching and seemed to extend into two hand-like projections, long hands, unlike his own with their stumpy but manipulative fingers – reaching out, seeking…

The carving scared and fascinated him. It was not like anything he had made before; it bore no resemblance to plant or animal or person; it – she…? – was completely other and was somehow related to the strange happenings. Rugh did not like it. It ought to be stopped, somehow, and peace returned to his mountains. Leaving the carving where he had sat, he stood up and left. He only wanted him and his mountains to be left alone.

~*~*~

Yes/no? Wild Man here is going to prove an interesting challenge for me to write...
Old 06-20-2006, 02:42 PM   #26
Formendacil
Dead Serious

NAME: Bergil, son of Beregond

RACE: Human, Gondorian

WEAPONS: Bow, Sword, dagger.

APPEARANCE: Canonically stated to be tall, Bergil is going to clock in at 6'4". Dark-haired, clean-shaven (when able), fairly lean, he's more-or-less a typical son of Minas Anor.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Bergil is easy-going, a trait that goes back at least as far as his befriending Pippin. Matured by living in Minas Tirith through the Siege, Bergil is a confidant, successful young ranger. His greatest weakness would probably be that, possibly as a result of the War, he tends to see things in black and white. I'm also going to say that he's rather stubborn- once he makes his mind up.

HISTORY: Bergil is the elder son of Beregond, Captain of the White Company, the personal regiment of Prince Faramir in Emyn Arnen. Bergil was born in Minas Tirith, and was among the few boys permitted to remain their through the war. His adventures and life at that can be found in the Return of the King. Following the war, he moved with his father to Emyn Arnen. Bergil has a younger brother, Borlas, who was presumably with their mother in the White Mountains at the time of the war. Upon coming of age, Bergil joined the Rangers, who readers of the Two Towers will remember as Faramir's company. These Gondorian counterparts of the Aragorn's Rangers in Eriador would likely have been much-occupied in the early years of the Fourth Age with patrolling the still mostly-wild Ithilien, and as that became more settled with Faramir dwelling in Emyn Arnen and Legolas' Silvan Elves coming from Mirkwood, would likely have been the bearers of the King's law and order upon the unsettled eastern marches of the realm: in Harondor (South Gondor), between Poros and Harnen, and northeast of Ithilien, towards Rhovannion.

Bergil served with the Rangers in Harondor, a dry and uninhabited land, for half a dozen years, from the time of joining the Rangers until the current time, when he has returned to civilized Gondor to visit his family and childhood friends. At the moment he is in Minas Tirith as a part of the Steward Faramir's escort.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:08 PM   #27
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Quote:
Can you guys believe it's been about two and a half years since we started?
Wow! It's no wonder I feel like Erebemlin and Taitheneb are a part of me, and I missed them when we took our break.

Quote:
Yes/no?
Yes!

Firefoot, I really like it. I'm looking forward to seeing where you go with the strange feelings and happenings in the mountains, and the scultpure is a nice touch.

Formendacil, great bio. I always find it interesting to come across characters from the books and then seeing how they've grown since the war. Well done.

I'm enjoying the surveys as well. I must say I envy you photographers. I've always wanted to take it up, but I've never had the time/money. Would you say that photography effects your writing? Do you see your posts as images before you write them, like photos readied to be played out?

I'm considering filling one out as well...I figure that if I don't know you very well...It would be a likely assumption that you don't know me either. We'll see.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:03 PM   #28
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Pipe All about me...RPG style

Name (that you go by): Alak, here. Summer, there.
Occupation: I work in the mental health field assisting the chronically mentally ill increase the skills they need to be able to function in society. The individuals I work with live in a facility much like a dorm.
Future Aspirations: becoming a Clinical Psychologist and letting God use me to touch the lives of those that are unable to help themselves.
Goal in life: Living my life as God would have me live, and following His plan for my life.
Short term goals: Taking the GRE; applying to grad school; teaching my daughter to swim; washing the dishes, mowing the lawn…
Passion: My God, my daughter
Hobbies: writing (), reading, gaming, painting
Famous for (brag about yourself): Attempting humour and people getting it later. Appearing to be on top of things. Always smiling.
Fave book: Ahem, LotR…also Pride and Prejudice, the Odyssey
Fave movie: Return of the King, Star Wars, The Thorn Birds, Finding Nemo
Fave sport: Oh, dear, I‘m not athletic. I would say dance (yes it is a sport). I used to dance years ago. It still makes be happy and watching others keeps me on the edge of my seat.
Fave store: Used book stores and boutiques.
Fave music: Contemporary Christian, Reggae, Classical
What you can't stand: rudeness, tailgating, pointless interruptions, The Wiggles
What you plain dislike: Racism (cliché, I know, but it hits too close to home), gossip, dishonesty, drama (not the enjoyable to read kind, the stressful real life kind)
Who you admire: People who live in a way that you can see God’s love in their lives.
What you most love to do: Have picnics in the yard with my daughter, actually anything that includes her; tree hugging, riding in the country with the windows down.
Your self-confessed flaws: I lack confidence to do things I know I am capable of doing. I procrastinate. I bottle my anger until it erupts.
What intrigues/fascinates you: People. I want to know why people do what they do. Mental illness, trees, flowers, shiny things…
What scares you: The responsibility that comes with parenthood.
Quotation to live by: “I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.” ~Psalm 139:14

Value-specific:
What do you want most in a friend? Loyalty, honesty (I want a friend who will tell me without hesitation that there‘s broccoli in my teeth), acceptance, and humour
What do you want most in a teacher? Patience and creativity
What do you want most in an ally? Trust
What do you want most in a team-mate? Telepathic abilities
What do you want people to remember most about you? That I shone with the love of God, and that by him I made a difference.

Writer-specific:
Your favorite work you've written so far: Wow, each of the works I’ve been blessed to be write have been so unique that I cannot choose. Oh, and my thesis, if you can call that a ‘work’ as it certainly was work.
Your favorite character so far: Erebemlin (Tapestry, of course); Pelien (Corsairs and Corsets); Lyshka (Land of Darkness); Collothion and Cuilad (Resettling the Lost Kingdom) -- Can you tell I can’t choose?
What you plan to write soon: A dinner post for this game and the loads of paperwork from work.
What inspires you to write: Driving, music, birds, colors, sounds, images that form in my mind…
What makes your writing stall: exhaustion.
Do you get writers' block and how do you overcome it? Definitely. I take my writing away from the computer and to my notebook. I just start forcing it, even if it’s bad, and then eventually something will click and I’ll roll with it.

Middle-Earth specific:
Your favorite ME character(s)? Bilbo, Luthien, Feanor, Aragorn, Barliman Butterbur; Goldberry
What do you like about them? Bilbo was a “real” character, insecurities and all, and I became attached to him. Luthien was so strong and passionate, and really, look what she did with Beren to get the Silmaril…she rocked. Feanor is just a fascinating character all around…troubled, dark, flawed. Aragorn, I was moved to watch Aragorn come into his own and see him rise in his kingliness. Butterbur always made me laugh and I can relate to his forgetfulness. Goldberry is from pure fascination.

Your favorite moment(s) from the Trilogy? The hobbits’ first encounter with a “Black Rider”. Tom and Goldberry’s home. Gimli asking for a piece of Galadriel’s hair (I’m a hopeless romantic). How long the greeting took at the Entmoot. When Aragorn stood on the wall at Helm’s Deep and commanded the attention of the Orcs below. Aragorn’s choice to not enter Minas Tirith as its king until after the battle at the Black Gates. When Frodo sees Arwen coming to Minas Tirith (see my signature). Oh there are just too many to name them all!

Your favorite plot twist(s) from the Trilogy? Frodo lives!

Looking at your personality as it is, what race do you belong to in Middle-Earth and why? Probably a hobbit, I’m a simple person with simple ways and I like it that way.

What race would you *like* to belong to in Middle-Earth and why? I would be an Elf for their grace and appreciation of beauty in the smallest things.

What place(s)would you live in Middle Earth and why? Lothlorien, my happy place. Just the thought of walking beneath the golden leaves and hearing the melodic voices rising and falling in the trees surrounding me, calms me.
Where would you want to visit? Why? Rivendell to sing in the Hall of Fire. I’d also like to see Ithilien because of how it kept it’s beauty and had Elvish qualities despite how close it was to Mordor.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:07 PM   #29
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Alak, a great idea for us 'oldies' to fill them out as well. I was just going to ask if that might not be a good idea. I don't know about the rest, but since starting the game over two years ago I've changed a bit, and, considering that I was a rather young thing back then, I've also matured.

Would you recommend the group from the first book putting up a new-and-updated survey if they wish?
Old 06-21-2006, 04:27 AM   #30
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Thumbs up

Absolutely, Nuru! We can then take a step back and see how we have changed and how we can relate and work within the new team.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:22 AM   #31
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Oh dear... she asked, my precious, yes she did...

Quote:
Would you say that photography effects your writing?
Without doubt. I'll tell a story, if you'll forgive it.

I took only two classes for my third term. It was a six week term and they were intensives. One was creative writing and one was a workshop in which we combined image and writing to make something "even more". I've never had so much fun doing school work.

My final for the writing class was to compose a short story. My final for my other class was to make a book or something else that combines image and word.

I had no idea where to start for each, so I was flipping lazily through some of my favorite pictures and spotted this image of Lucy. I glanced out the window and realized that the late afternoon light was brilliant. Unwilling to let it go to waste, I dragged a friend with me and we went on a crazed photography adventure that included the art studio, dead trees, and a graveyard that we had to pass many creepy townies to reach (I refrain from calling people creepy until they say or do things that make me nervous... they did, which is why I brought a friend).

In any case, I got some fantastic images like this one and this one and while looking through my memory card's contents, I had a stroke of genius that I should combine my final projects into a short story that has something to do with Lucy and a book that illustrates the thematic story. No children's picture book, that; I was fully aware of how dark and creepy both would end up being, but it was so sunny out that I couldn't resist.

After many spontaneous changes, I ended up with a 15 page story and a small hand-made book illustrating Psalm 23.

The whole combined project, the two most important grades of a semester, was of a creepy nature, but ended up with a lovely moral and was inspired almost entirely by one randomly taken image of a skeleton in the drawing studio. Formendacil helped, though he's probably unaware.

Quote:
Do you see your posts as images before you write them, like photos readied to be played out?
I combine image and word in my thought, striving to capture the image as clearly as if I held a camera in my hands with perfect lighting and an unmoving model before me. That's easy, when you're photographing Lucy or others like her... she doesn't move.

What's more fun is to work in such a way as I would if I was making a movie. With constant characters, it's like having a moving stream of images at the speed of a Sony Handicam's capture rate. You can watch their life stories play out in real time, showing everything that seems important until you have a full story in a series of images, all transitioned beautifully into words and phrases that describe action as well as light and motion ever could.

Cameos are more like a cool indie flick made of stills. You can start with one post: a solid image, and describe it ad nauseum, if that's what you want. Next post can easily be something vastly different, and you continue on with enough transition for clarity and continuity, but without worry over what happens in between. Even if you know it, why put it in? Cameos are more thematic than continuously created.

You can Ken Burns Effect your way in for a closer look once you've started, or you can even introduce your character zoomed in with a description of her startlingly blue eyes, eyes that look out at you as though from worlds away, aware of both you and things beyond your imagination, and you can slowly expand into more of her character: a dreamer, an uncertain wanderer in a land of strangers, seeking for adventure like those her grandfather, now dead, once told to her... afraid to find it, afraid not to; all the same image, just portraying it one piece at a time.

So yes, in short... photography is like a vile disease that makes my writing illness that much more deadly. If I had any sense, I'd drop my crazy shenanigans and get a real job.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:43 PM   #32
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Interesting read about your photography and writing, Fea.

Since it was suggested that the 'oldies' redo the survey here is mine (new and hopefully improved as it were >.<):

Name (that you go by): Immy on the Downs, Sonja in RL.

Occupation: I don't have one as of yet -- unless one would like to count writing short stories and trying to compose a soundtrack for my brother's movie an occupation.

Future Aspirations: Becoming published, or becoming a jeweller. Or an editor of a fiction magazine. I'd like to be famous too, or, barring that, something like a Queen of Pulp Fiction much like Jack's mother was Queen of the B's in The Talisman.

Goal in life: Living life. I don't want to plod on through the years...I really want to live. This sort of living, mind you, doesn't include doing stupid things like getting drunk all the time...but truly enjoying the life that has been given me and not wasting it away.

Short term goals: Finishing that silly soundtrack...

Passion: Story

Hobbies: Writing, playing computer games, and here I must add the obligatory "wasting time" and "being lazy" sentiments, adding that if one were to laze, then one must laze beautifully (taken from An Evening of Long Goodbyes).

Famous for (brag about yourself): Getting the highest score in the German 1 final and only reciving a 90 something ish percent on the final of German 2? Being somewhat smart isn't easy, because I always seem to fail to meet expectations.

Fave book: Singular. Tsk. The Keys to the Kingdom books by Garth Nix, Neverwhere by Neil Gaimon, The Ender books by Orson Scott Card, Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, various short stories by the authors listed above, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead by Tom Stoppard, The Hobbit by Tolkien, That Was Then This Is Now by S.E Henton, Peter Pan, The Thirteen Clocks by James Thurber and the list could go on...

Fave movie: Again singular....tsk tsk. Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead, Benny and Joon, PotC, X-men (I love mutants so this shouldn't be a surprise), Phantom of the Opera, The Nightmare Before Christmas, The Corpse Bride (should have ended differently though), Spiderman 2, The Princess Bride, and of course the list could go on...

Fave sport: Sports = ew....

Fave store: Book stores and coffee shops. Pure heaven if the two are combined.

Fave music: Rock, Techno (I guess)....um...German Bands....Oldies...I'm not really too familiar with what all the different types of music are called.

What you can't stand: Arrogance. Usually people aren't as great as they think they are.

What you plain dislike: Hatred.

Who you admire: I admire people who know what they want in life, and will strive to get it, but, in the striving, they won't become obsessed with it. Also people who know when and how to simply let go...

What you most love to do: I love to read and write. I love to play World of Warcraft. I love to simply lie on my back, stare at the wall, and to simply take time to think and dream.

Your self-confessed flaws: Hastiness.

What intrigues/fascinates you: Stealing an answer here..but People.

What scares you: Many things.

Quotation to live by: My life matters because I'm alive, joy or pain, whatever comes, I'm alive and that's meaning enough. -- Orson Scott Card.

Value-specific:

What do you want most in a friend? Honesty. The ability to share comfortable silences.

Mia: Don't you hate that?
Vincent: What?
Mia: Uncomfortable silences. Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about [stuff] in order to be comfortable?
Vincent: I don't know. That's a good question.
Mia: That's when you know you've found somebody special. When you can just shut up for a minute and comfortably enjoy the silence.

-- Pulp Fiction (slightly edited >.>)

What do you want most in a teacher? A love for their subject. If a teacher does not love their subject, then it becomes boring. And the world ought not to be boring, yet so many teachers manage to make it so simply because they do not understand/love their subject.

What do you want most in an ally? Common sense.

What do you want most in a team-mate? A willingness to teach if I'm not as good as he is.

What do you want people to remember most about you? Wow...not really sure how to answer this question...especially since I've been quite a jerk on these forums at times and I'm really rather sure that's what the Downers remember here...herm...I'm going to be cliche and just say I'd like people to remember me as a relatively good person.

Writer-specific:

Your favorite work you've written so far: Works or ideas...sometimes the ideas don't flow to the paper so well...however, to answer the question, any of my Vampirish stories.

Your favorite character so far: My favourite characters don't turn out so well on paper. Sometimes I'm tempted to just keep them safe and pristine in my head.

What you plan to write soon: An editing of my first attempted piece of horror fiction that was spawned from a rather interesting "nightmare".

What inspires you to write: Story and music

What makes your writing stall: Fear

Do you get writers' block and how do you overcome it? Oh yeah. What writer doesn't? Usually I let it sit in the depths of cybor space for a year or two, have a flash of inspiration, take it out, write feverishly, read it a few days later, and then realize that it actually is still poor quality and then once again despair of ever writing anything really good.

Middle-Earth specific:

Your favorite ME character(s)? Bilbo, Smaug, Gandalf the Grey, Faramir.

What do you like about them? Bilbo just seemed more real to me, more relatable as well...Smaug for his cleverness (though I could do without the arrogance), Gandalf the Grey for his wisdom and his...I want to say taciturness but that's not the right word. Whatever it was that made him say, Fool of a took! Faramir for his sadness and then happiness with Eowyn.

Your favorite moment(s) from the Trilogy? It's been a while since I've read LotR (don't hurt me), so I think I'll just go with the Death of Boromir and then Frodo and Sam bravely going on ahead.

Your favorite plot twist(s) from the Trilogy? I am no man!

Looking at your personality as it is, what race do you belong to in Middle-Earth and why? Looking at a race as a whole, and not at certain people within the race, I'm going to go with human. Humans seem to be ordinary and I'm an ordinary girl.

What race would you *like* to belong to in Middle-Earth and why? I'd like to be a hobbit -- a hobbit because they know how to enjoy life.

What place(s)would you live in Middle Earth and why? The Shire for it's simplistic beauty.

Where would you want to visit? Why? I don't like to travel usually...may I skip this question?

Last edited by Imladris; 06-21-2006 at 02:01 PM.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:11 PM   #33
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Name (that you go by): Orual is good for now.

Future Aspirations: A professional career in theatrical performance, ideally musical theatre; a loving family of my own.

Goal in life: I think I said this last time, but as Mark Twain said, "to live so that, when I come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry."

Short term goals: Doing well in my university's production of Godspell.

Passion: Theatre.

Hobbies: Acting, singing, playing piano and guitar, writing, dancing.

Famous for (brag about yourself): Being the last one to get the joke and making it look cute, making a 4.0 my freshman year, being the theatre major who helped all the biology majors pass Bio 101...

Fave book: I can't pick just one!

Fave movie: "A Christmas Story". Just to be old-school.

Fave sport: Olympic gymnastics.

Fave store: A local store that sells incense, crystals, and stuff, and has yoga lessons in the back.

Fave music: Showtunes, especially anything written by Stephen Sondheim.

What you can't stand: Intolerance, arrogance.

What you plain dislike: Know-it-alls.

Who you admire: My family for putting up with me, my teachers for their passion to educate me, my friends for always being there for me, and my friend Alex for all that he gave me (I miss you).

What you most love to do: Perform, and be with people that I love.

Your self-confessed flaws: Shyness, difficulty trusting people, and an inclination to frustration.

What intrigues/fascinates you: Passions--the things that really get people going.

What scares you: Losing people who are close to me.

Quotation to live by: "You can stop being anything." - Neil Gaiman

Value-specific:

What do you want most in a friend? Trustworthiness.

What do you want most in a teacher? A real passion for teaching.

What do you want most in an ally? Loyalty.

What do you want most in a team-mate? Like Immy said, somebody who will smack me if I'm wrong and let me know!

What do you want people to remember most about you? My loyalty; that I was always a good friend and there when people needed me.

Writer-specific:

Your favorite work you've written so far: In light of recent events, a short story called "Forever" that I wrote for a creative writing course about a girl who loses her best friend to a hate crime. It's really depressing, but I love it.

Your favorite character so far: On the 'Downs? Ravion. In all my writings? Eli from "Forever".

What you plan to write soon: A play about a young Hispanic girl and her matriarchal family.

What inspires you to write: Events in my own life.

What makes your writing stall: Poor planning.

Do you get writers' block and how do you overcome it? I get writer's block all the time, and the two things that force me past it are 1) just writing and 2) last minute PANIC!

Middle-Earth specific:

Your favorite ME character(s)? Sam.

What do you like about them? He's the friend I've always wanted, and I am so blessed that I am finally finding Sams in my life now.

Your favorite moment(s) from the Trilogy? It always makes me cry when Sam has to abandon his pots in Mordor.

Your favorite plot twist(s) from the Trilogy? Wow, I can't even choose.

Looking at your personality as it is, what race do you belong to in Middle-Earth and why? I'm a Hobbit, but I like to think of myself as a Took.

What race would you *like* to belong to in Middle-Earth and why? Hobbits are fine with me!

What place(s)would you live in Middle Earth and why? The Shire, because I spent my childhood years curled up in bed hearing stories of it.

Where would you want to visit? Why? In Middle-Earth? Lorien, for its sad beauty in the dwindling of its people.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:15 PM   #34
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Name (that you go by): Nurumaiel, or Nuru for short

Future Aspirations: To either become a nun, or become a full-time wife, mother, and homemaker

Goal in life: I would say to become a saint, but that process extends beyond death generally, or at least officially... to become an unofficial saint, then

Short term goals: To achieve a feminine and Godly womanhood

Passion: My Faith, and music... and all things true and beautiful

Hobbies: Dancing, singing, violin, piano, guitar, sewing, knitting, writing, reading, rambling, as well as many others

Famous for (brag about yourself): I would imagine that I'm most famous for my singing. Everyone insists that I have a lovely voice (which is nice to hear, considering the work I've put into it!). I'm famous amongst some people for my writing, but my singing is more widely known

Fave book: Anything by L.M. Montgomery, Gene Stratton Porter, Tolkien, Lewis, MacDonald, etc... G.K. Chesterton and Hilaire Belloc... Shakespeare, naturally... the Brontes, Austen, Elizabeth Gaskell... dear me, I'm naming authors rather than books. But my favourite books can be summed up easier by their authors.

Fave movie: Wives and Daughters, Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle, Anne of Green Gables and the Sequel, Ben-hur, Therese... Meet Me in St. Louis, The Harvey Girls, Holiday Inn, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers... Arsenic and Old Lace, High Noon, On the Waterfront, The Maltese Falcon, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, White Heat, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington... and any one of those good old movies.

Fave sport: To watch, football, particularly my extremely talented younger brother... the only real sport I do is dancing

Fave store: Book stores, and fabric stores

Fave music: Just about anything classical, Bach in particular... I was going to say my favourite classical piece is Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring, but I'm torn between that and Pachelbel Canon at the present moment. Old Irish songs, especially as sung by the Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem... 'oldies' like Judy Garland and Frank Sinatra... Patrick Doyle's Henry V... Loreena McKennitt... Andrew Lloyd Webber's Requiem and Cats... various other musicals, but Man of La Mancha in particular... and beautiful old chant, which seems to be extinct is so many churches nowadays

What you can't stand: People who seem to think I'm in some way 'oppressed and a failure' because I dream of being a stay-at-home mother... hymns such as I am the Bread of Life (I feel so silly singing I am the Bread of Life, because I'm not, so I don't sing it), and people who say that chant is old and outdated and doesn't 'do' anything for the soul... people who tell me that, as a Catholic, I worship Mary, and then tell me I'm lying when I say I don't... bad music.

What you plain dislike: People who get annoyed and offended when the seven children in my family pass them by... and again, people who think I have no right at all to be a stay-at-home mother... and again, silly hymns, and connected to that, the idea that, just after receiving the Body and Blood of Christ in the Eucharist we ought to stand up and sing about how we are the Bread of Life and how special we are, rather than get down on our knees and adore God... so, definitely all those Hymns to Self.

Who you admire: St. Therese, and her parents... so many mothers of large families I know who I respect so much... my own parents... St. Dominic Savio... St Maximilian Kolbe!!... our dear old papa John Paul II, and our dear new Benedict XVI...

What you most love to do: Play the piano and sing... I simply love to sing, and I simply love to play... I just enjoy putting my heart in soul into creating beautiful music.

Your self-confessed flaws: Lack of diligence, though I hate to admit it. If something is frustrating me it's tempting for me to just set it aside. Reacting too strongly to things is another. If I think about something insulting someone said a month ago, I get very passionate about it still. Whilst writing about what I can't stand and plain dislike above, my heart rate certainly did pick up quite a bit! Fortunately my shyness is a blessing, for it keeps me from losing my temper to people's faces... I just lecture about it when I get home.

What intrigues/fascinates you: Everything... some grand bit of music, with all its subtle details, or a wee bit of grass that's growing out odd...

What scares you: The reflection that the future is coming up too fast! Where did all the time and freedom go? Where are the lazy days of childhood?

Quotation to live by: I have a terrible lot of quotations to live by, but the first to come to mind: "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly." --G.K. Chesterton

Value-specific:

What do you want most in a friend? What I really appreciate is a friend who will acknowledge that I'm a thoughtful, quiet introvert, and that it's a different thing from being scared and unsociable.

What do you want most in a teacher? A sense of beauty and wonder... I don't want someone who will prattle off facts in their barest state, but look to find truth and knowledge in things.

What do you want most in an ally? An alliance, I imagine... I want him to really and truly be on the same side as me.

What do you want most in a team-mate? A good character. I love have team-mates I can respect for more than just their talent.

What do you want people to remember most about you? Anything that was good, and I pray they'll forget all that was bad. And I want people to remember that I was a Catholic, and extremely proud of it.

Writer-specific:

Your favorite work you've written so far: With a Fairy Hand in Hand, a book based off W.B. Yeats poem The Stolen Child

Your favorite character so far: Liornung, of course!... and Tipsy, from the above-mentioned work.

What do you plan to write soon: Finish my fairy-story, and come up with some articles for a Catholic newsletter I write for.

What inspires you to write: Anything has the potential to inspire me. Another book, or some bit of a conversation I overhear, or the dialogue between a pair of birds...

What makes your writing stall: For my present story, I'm stalled because I took a vacation from writing for awhile and can't remember what I was planning when I left off...

Do you get writers' block and how do you overcome it? Like everyone else, I do get writer's block. Various methods work, but none of them are guaranteed. Just writing even when I don't want to sometimes helps, acting scenes out sometimes help, reading it aloud to the kiddies sometimes helps, and putting on music with the proper mood and creating a scene to fit it sometimes helps. And then, sometimes, I can do naught but wait.

Middle-Earth specific:

Your favorite ME character(s)? Faramir

What do you like about them? It's hard to put into words... there's just such a depth to him... such nobility and honour and courage... a brave fellow, but he has also a very gentle spirit... he's simply splendid.

Your favorite moment(s) from the Trilogy? Too many to name... Frodo's dream in Bombadil's home, and that moment at the end when he beholds white shores... Aragorn's awe-inspiring transformation from Strider on the River Anduin...

Your favorite plot twist(s) from the Trilogy? I don't think I could name a favourite... I love all the plot twists.

Looking at your personality as it is, what race do you belong to in Middle-Earth and why? I think I'm too much of a mix to choose!

What race would you *like* to belong to in Middle-Earth and why? I think I'd very much enjoy remaining just as I am

What place(s) would you live in Middle Earth and why? I'd certainly choose the Shire... it's the most home-y... gardens, and familiar paths... even the Sacksville-Bagginses and their ilk would be more like what I'm accustomed to... much more than dream-like Elven lands.

Where would you want to visit? Why? I should like to visit simply everywhere. But above all I should like to see Henneth Annun.

How would you travel? On foot. I love to meander my way along and enjoy the scenery, and take in all the little details.

Besides the usual camping & travel stuff, what single special item is in your knapsack and why? Limited to just one, I would take along my Rosary. It has all the most beautiful and sad memories, prayers, and feelings connected with it. If I'm granted one more, I'd like to take along my Book of Letters and a pen to write the letters.

And now, some advice... always proof-read, especially if you're talking about why you admire someone! I was too busy reflecting on why I liked Faramir to pay attention to what I was writing... consequently, the terrible typo:

...there's just such a depth to me... such nobility and honour and courage...

Thank goodness I caught that before I sent this through! I'd have to add that another one of my flaws is a dreadful conceit and vanity!

New Quotation to live by: Always proof-read.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:04 PM   #35
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
not comparing to my old one.....

Name (that you go by):littlemanpoet, LMP, Elempi

Future Aspirations: published author

Goal in life: to be an effective vessel of the Secret Fire

Short term goals: Finish "The Incarnate Dream"

Passion: Listening to God, Friendships, writing, Barrowdowns

Hobbies: writing, Barrowdowns, traveling, playing congas

Famous for (brag about yourself): a good tenor voice, avoiding crowded rooms, being goofy

Fave book: The Lord of the Rings, hands down.

Fave movie: Dead Poets Society, Deep Impact, Sixth Sense

Fave sport: college football to watch, hiking for personal enjoyment

Fave store: the local Stamp store (you buy stamps and make your own greeting cards), where I buy gifts for my wife.

Fave music: Genesis and related for modern, Baroque and Renaissance for Classical, and lots of folk music: blue grass, Celtic, etc.

What you can't stand: Too much physical pain.

What you plain dislike: Country music. The results of other people's inconsideration of others.

Who you admire: My father for being a holy man of God with a sweet spirit and a great tenor voice . Also other Barrowdowners, such as Helen for spirituality, Celuien for sweetness of character, Feanor for writing genius, and many others.

What you most love to do: Write. Spend time at Barrowdowns. Travel. Explore new places (in books is good too, but I prefer real places).

Your self-confessed flaws: Arrogance the depths of which are not yet plumbed. Impatience. A tendency toward recklessness (read, decisive to a fault).

What intrigues/fascinates you: Um, the opposite sex (you've probably noticed from rpg's).

What scares you: Forever; in both directions.

Quotation to live by: "Faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the certainty of things not seen."

Value-specific:

What do you want most in a friend? Reciprocation.

What do you want most in a teacher? Clarity.

What do you want most in an ally? Dependability.

What do you want most in a team-mate? Dependability.

What do you want people to remember most about you? That I was always willing to change for the better.

Writer-specific:

Your favorite work you've written so far: The Incarnate Dream (it doesn't have to be done, does it?)

Your favorite character so far: Raefindan (Roy Edwards)

What do you plan to write soon: The Incarnate Dream (it ain't done yet)

What inspires you to write: A good idea.

What makes your writing stall: When others, well intentioned or not, try to leverage my writing toward their own agenda: discouragement.

Do you get writers' block and how do you overcome it? When I get discouraged. Encouragement, whether from within or without.

Middle-Earth specific:

Your favorite ME character(s)? (1) Frodo (2) Galadriel

What do you like about them? (1) His depth of character. His compassion. (2) Her compassion & clarity of vision

Your favorite moment(s) from the Trilogy? When Galadriel speaks love into Gimli's heart in Lorien.

Your favorite plot twist(s) from the Trilogy? The Ents defeating Saruman.

Looking at your personality as it is, what race do you belong to in Middle-Earth and why? I can hardly believe I'm saying this, but an Elf. I used to believe that anybody who claimed such a thing must be arrogant, but now I understand: there's a spiritual clarity about Elves that I didn't understand before, and I've been given the grace to get that kind of clarity.

What race would you *like* to belong to in Middle-Earth and why? Elves. Believe it or not.

What place(s) would you live in Middle Earth and why? By the Sea, in the North.

Where would you want to visit? Why? Imladris, to be where there is peace and clarity. To talk with Glorfindel and Elrond.

How would you travel? I would walk or ride horse.

Besides the usual camping & travel stuff, what single special item is in your knapsack and why? a harp, to express the music I find in my heart (sorry if this seems like romantic goop, but I'm just being honest).
Old 06-25-2006, 01:35 PM   #36
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

About Language

I broached this in the original Tapestry discussion thread, so I'll do it here now too.

The use of language is a critical element in LotR. I tried to encourage us, in our attempt to be canonical, to use language that was as simple as possible, as a way of being true to Tolkien who used almost all Anglo-Saxon based word choice in LotR.

That was two years ago (I think). My view has changed a bit, based on other rpgs I've been in.

The general practice seems to follow a pattern of using Anglo-Saxon based vocabulary if your character is from Rohan or from the North, whether the Shire, Bree, the Carrock, or Dale. Dwarves tend to use an even harder English, based in Nordic, which is not easy to pull off, but not impossible. Gondorian humans use Latinate, and even Greek-based English vocabulary, to reflect the (sort of) Roman civilization of Gondor by contrast to the relatively "barbarian" Rohirrim, etc.

Please don't take what follows as criticism so much as observation.

Liornung and Ravion were both given to a lot of Latinate expression. Aeron and Gwyllion, Mellonin, Mellondu, and Amroth, worked with a much more archaic vocabulary, probably because Imladris and Helen took their cues from my examples with Raefindan especially, but Ædegard too. Leafa sounded Rohirric. Bellyn used a good deal of Latinate English. Nethwador obviously used a very limited vocabulary, appropriate to his character. The Elves used a rather Tolkienian vocabulary to my (admittedly poor) recollection.

Obviously, I think Immy and I have every intention of continuing to have fun with the interchange between Raefindan and Aeron. But I don't want to assume anything.

Latinate: any word ending in "tion", "ize", for example; most words beginning in "pre", "re", "com", "con", et cetera.

Do we want to attempt a canonical vocabulary, depending on our characters' origins? Do we feel capable? If desiring and wanting to learn, are you willing to put up with Elempi offering revision advice? The teacher in me is itching to offer insights, but I'll steer clear if everybody prefers.

Wouldn't it be great to have other Downs'ers say that Tapestry was one of the best rpgs on the Downs? (I always shoot for that goal, can't help myself...)

Let me know.....
Old 06-25-2006, 03:48 PM   #37
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elempi
If desiring and wanting to learn, are you willing to put up with Elempi offering revision advice?
Feel free to advise me, oh professorial one. I'm quite certain that being a student will never get old. I should warn you, though, that I'm the student who researches my teacher's interests so that I can learn fun things and provoke highly entertaining debates when I'm bored... you may regret the offer. Quite seriously though, if you can help me learn neat stuff and become a better writer for it, how could I possibly refuse?

By the way, my life is officially back to [as] normal [as it ever is]. I should be able to finish reading Tapestry within the next week... two at most.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:57 PM   #38
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

lmp, I'm more than willing to take your advice! I'm very ignorant on the subject, but I do want to learn more.

A couple of questions...

Firstly, how far would you like it to extend? The dialogue of the characters, naturally... their thoughts as well? Just the writing in general?

Secondly, though Liornung is of Rohirric origin, would he have more of a range considering that he spends his time travelling from place to place, and would more than likely pick up on various dialects?
Old 06-25-2006, 04:00 PM   #39
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Please go ahead and advise away, lmp. You know that I'm always ready to learn something new. And I'd appreciate the advice.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:00 PM   #40
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

If Rugh starts using large vocabulary, slap me.

Seriously, though, I think it's worth shooting for.