The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2002, 02:12 PM   #41
GreatWarg
Shade of Carn Dûm

GreatWarg has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Nice point Arod. And those costumes ROCKED! LOTR is going to have a hard time in the Oscars this year with AOTC. Only prob is that AOTC may have a more complete ending, but you should know LOTR is considered a trilogy to them, so therefore it isn't complete until the final movie comes out.

And YAY to me! I'm an Animated Skeleton now! LOL.
Old 05-25-2002, 02:58 PM   #42
QuickSlash
Wight

QuickSlash has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to QuickSlash Send a message via Yahoo to QuickSlash
Sting

Since someone asked... ^_^ Well, we all hate Jar Jar, right? In my opinion, he was the leargest downfall of Episode 1 (and I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't seen 2 yet). He was created by Lucas's son. That child caused the evil little Gungan to take the role that he did. I also believe (without much proof, so yell at me if you wish) that Lucas turned the movie to more a child's show because of his own children. My thoughts, and not necessarily interesting ones.
Old 05-25-2002, 03:03 PM   #43
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

Jar-jar was funny to me at first, because I was younger, but now he's just plain annoying. I really do like the rest of Star Wars, though! It's my second-fave series! That is one thing that ALL my friends and I love to talk about. We are all right below obsessed with Star Wars. That's not what brought us together, but ya know, it's a common interest! And don't worry, QuickSlash, I haven't seen it yet either. I want to, though! Maybe I'll see it today! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 05:22 PM   #44
Arod
Animated Skeleton

Arod has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arod Send a message via Yahoo to Arod
Sting

I didn't really hate him as much as I found him annoying... Jar-Jar is like ice-cream great and at first but if consumed in large quantities quickly gives you a brain-freeze and a stomach ache. He's okay if you limit your exposure.
Old 05-26-2002, 04:29 AM   #45
Nevtalathiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Nevtalathiel has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

Arod, ice cream is always great! Although that may just be because my parents don't let me consume enough to get ill! Jar-Jar was SO annoying, even at first, and I couldn't understand a word he said throughout the entire film!
Old 02-05-2003, 04:23 PM   #46
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Here is an article about how
Quote:
America's love affair with the J.R.R. Tolkien epic-fantasy saga Lord Of The Rings, a romance (?) which has flowered ever since the 2001 release of the Fellowship Of The Ring film adaptation, has damaged the nation's long-term relationship with George Lucas' Star Wars saga, perhaps irreparably.
Verrrry Interesting.
Old 02-05-2003, 04:46 PM   #47
Jesse
Animated Skeleton

Location: My home is in the Twin Cities, but my soul is at Loch Ness in Scotland
Jesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Heck yah I like SW! But not as much as Lord of the Rings. I'll watch Episodes IV, V, VI, I, & II every now ant then, but for FotR and TTT, it's like 3 Xs a month!
Old 02-05-2003, 06:43 PM   #48
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

I don't really like Star Wars all that much. I really liked it when I was a kid, but now, I don't think it even compares to LotR. It's a great movie, and I really only like the trilogy, not the 'episode' saga. I don't think they're one of the best movies of all times, however, it's really good. Then, the episode I and II weren't that great.

I really think you can't compare each other because SW was spawned from a movie, where LotR is spawned from a book. Movies and books are very different so it's hard to compare them.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 07:06 PM   #49
Lindril Arvilya
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: In a box at the end of Harrison Ford's street, with a pair of binoculars
Lindril Arvilya has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Personally I really like Star Wars. Return of the Jedi is still my favourite movie after Lord of the Rings (I'm going to count all of them as one, because I know I'll love the third as well). I even enjoy the facfics, I have several books, one which I'm reading right now (Tales From Jabba's Palace). However, they just don't match up to the chivalry and valour of Middle Earth. Possibly because the places and people in LotR are all on our level. They have human emotions, we feel for them, with them. And they're in places we can recognise. Star Wars is out there, unfamiliar, filled with exotic aliens and psychic warriors. Star Wars is great and all, but it just can't stand up to the sheer majesty of Lord of the Rings.
Oh, and by the way, I don't believe those new movies have anything to do with the original SW. The trilogy was brilliant. These new ones are just pathetic. The loyalty and bravery aren't there... they've been replaced with special effects and expensive costumes. Damn them... they've slaughtered Anakin for me.... and don't even start on Jar-Jar Binks. One of my so-called friends likes imitating his voice... at any given opportunity... I'm gonna kill him....
Old 02-05-2003, 07:27 PM   #50
Elf_of_Mirkwood621

Ring

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] um...im definetly not obsessed with Star Wars (lord of the rings- no competition- it was sooooo much betta) but i did like Star Wars a little. surprisingly enough, those two series were like the only sci-fi movies i liked, actually almost the only ones i ever saw!
lataz
Old 02-06-2003, 12:39 AM   #51
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I never was really a Star Wars fan, so for me this is really no contest. Lord of the Rings is my favorite.
I do think that you can be a fan of both, because they are both similar stories, and they are similar in the way that fans approach them.
Old 02-06-2003, 03:04 AM   #52
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

No. Well I don't. Apart form Return of the Jedi.

"Life is so beautiful"->Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 03:31 AM   #53
Eriu Isilondo

Sting

Hello Everyone, I am new here, just heard about you guys from a friend. Ya'll friendly here. I wander around, but I won't go where I am not wanted! Anyway, can I through my two cents in, actually I'll up it to 5......well to tell you the honest truth, I'm rather obessed with Middle-earth now, and it has been going on for only a year, yet at times I feel more at home there than here ::Smile:: And the movie, sparked the book reading. I saw the ad for the movie and I had "heard" of LOTR but not.....paid mind, you know? LIke whispers of it, but I never caught on, til I saw this movie and I went, "Okay, I KNOW the books are better" because.....I was left with SO MANY questions, and I was genuinely interested, so I went and bought myself the HObbit/LOTR pack and I wish I hadn't got Mass Paperback grrr, anyway.... I REALLY enjoyed it, more so than the movie at times, depends on the mood I'm in, to read or view. Now, the movie is great, but the books are greater. I think Tolkien is brilliant, a genius, and his words are like water to this thirsty spirit of mine.
On Tolkienonline.com I even wrote a letter "to" Tolkien, [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] heh heh. Well, I suppose thats all I have to say. Thanks for reading [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] The movies are great, but the books are greater......
Old 02-10-2003, 06:23 PM   #54
Yavanna Kementari
Haunting Spirit

Yavanna Kementari has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

WOW!! I don't know how I missed this thread!
I am a die hard Starwars and LotR fan!!

I go above the call of Starwars fan though*blushes* I waited out side the theatre in my town for 24 hours just to get tickets and another 7 to see the movie.
I camped out in May it was 34 degrees out side that night. We all had wind and sunburns LOL I loved it!! only in 2005, I'm brining a tent!!
I loved LotR but as far as lines to get tickets(here atleast), it wasn't that bad. I think because StarWars has been on film for almost 30 years it was a bigger deal.
Though in my eyes LotR inspired StarWars. There are WAY too many likenesses. You know GL read the books! I won't go there, too much to tell and not enough time. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I won't wait for tickets for RotK though [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] I would really like too but, in this part of the country you would lose a limb or digits to frostbite or you would be hypothermic before too long [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Were it any other season You bet I'd be there!!
I liked all of the characters in SW, they all serve a purpose! You couldn't get to Theed without Jar-Jar and you couldn't get to Mt. Doom without Gollum!
Anyway thats my opinion. GREAT THREAD!!
-(~<~> Yavanna
Old 02-12-2003, 03:39 PM   #55
Ithildin
Pile O'Bones

Ithildin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I love star wars!!! but I have to say that the last two movies were really BAD!!George Lucas really disappointed me there!!
the old ones are just great [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

LOTR is better [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Ithildin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 07:27 PM   #56
Lillyflower

Sting

I I]love[/I] the Star Wars trilogy. The special effects and storyline are great. It can never stand up to Tolkein's story, though. he spent a lifetime on Middle-Earth. I mean, it's a whole world for crying out loud! Star Wars is set in the future. It doesn't have nearly as much put into it as Lord of the Rings.
Old 02-13-2003, 12:51 PM   #57
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Pipe

Star Wars eh? well its a nice film... but Lord of the rings is THE BEST book, THE BEST FILM and... er thats it...
Old 02-13-2003, 04:24 PM   #58
Laialthriel
Animated Skeleton

Laialthriel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

As for me, I grew up on Star Wars. Literally. Almost every night (give or take a few) my brother and I would pop popcorn, fight over which one we wanted to watch that night, then sit down and watch it. So I have always loved the Star Wars world. Before LotR that was my favorite 'series' and movies.

The trilogy is awesome. I think George Lucas could have done a lot better with Episodes I and II, though. But don't get me started on that. There's a reason I'm not on SW forums. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] Don't get me wrong, the story is great, and I do love the new movies, but I guess I would rather read the books. I think they're a lot better. It's kind of funny how often that happens. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Laiathriel
"Let us run with patience the race that is set before us." --Phil 3:14
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." --Gandalf the Gray
Laialthriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 09:56 AM   #59
Lady Iverin
Haunting Spirit

Lady Iverin has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I have to say that LOTR is my #1 obsession, but I love Star Wars too. I don't see why people are saying that the last two episodes sucked. My list of obsessions goes like this:
1. Lord of the Rings
2. Star Wars
3. Harry Potter
I think that they're all kinda tied in some way. Ya know? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Lady Iverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 12:03 PM   #60
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

Yep. Star Wars definatly rocks. I've seen all the episodes and my favorite would probably have to be the 1st. Just because of the special affects.
Faye Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 01:08 PM   #61
MyPreciousGollum
Pile O'Bones

MyPreciousGollum has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I like them both, and neither one is better than the other.
MyPreciousGollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 08:26 AM   #62
LadyElbereth
Wight

LadyElbereth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Lord of the Rings !Rocks! and it's definitly my obsession, BUT I looove Star Wars also. They're both so awesome!
Old 02-18-2003, 10:28 AM   #63
Faenaduial
Wight

Faenaduial has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The SW films were good with the exception of the ATOC, which I really disliked, but LOTR is my obsession. Rocket boys or elves? Hmmm... definitely elves! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-18-2003, 07:43 PM   #64
TealDude3
Wight

TealDude3 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am, and always will be a Star Wars junkie. I like the new trilogy and the original trilogyu alike. I'll have to say Star Wars is my #1 Sci-Fi obsession, and LOTR is my #1 fantasy obsession. Can wait til the orignial trilogy comes to DVD!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-18-2003, 07:49 PM   #65
avarrogion
Wight

avarrogion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to avarrogion
The Eye

Well i love Star Wars Episode 4 till 6 but not the newer ones. The new Star Wars doesn`t give me any excitement maybe due to poor acting and predictable scenes.
All time Fav movie would be LOTR-FOTR and TTT...keep up the good work!
Old 02-18-2003, 07:51 PM   #66
Haelothiel
Animated Skeleton

Haelothiel has just left Hobbiton.
I have to say that I do like Star Wars. I LOVE LotR though. I love the books and movies for LotR, and I am absolutely obsessed. However, I do like the original StarWars movies (how can you not love ewoks, Chewie, R2D2, and Hans Solo?) but I was kind of disappointed in Episodes 1 and 2.
Old 02-18-2003, 08:55 PM   #67
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

The original Star Wars trilogy made up 3 of my top favorite films (2,3,4). #1 is Casablanca, and #5 is FotR. I guess I have SW to owe to getting into LotR....it awoke my need for epic adventures. I still know as much about the SW galaxy as I do about Eä, and have all the SW novels. Of course, I have all of Tolkien's works except HoMe 9-13, but, hey!

Would you rather be an elf, or a Jedi? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-19-2003, 10:17 AM   #68
Finnguala
Wight

Finnguala has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've seen the three older Star Wars movies a few years ago and I loved them. I couldn't wait till Episode 1 and 2 were ready.
I was very disappointed about Episode 2 and I think LotR is WAY WAY WAY better than Star Wars.
Old 02-19-2003, 10:33 AM   #69
Laialthriel
Animated Skeleton

Laialthriel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Would you rather be an elf, or a Jedi?
Aw man! Why do you have to torture my poor imagination with such hard questions? This is something I have been debating in the back of my mind since I became interested in LotR. I'm still not sure as to what my conclusion is. It depends on my current mood I think.

Some days I feel like flying around the universe 'defending the innocent and opposing the Dark Side of the Force'. (And lets be honest now; how many of us wouldn't love to have a lightsaber?)

Other days...actually a lot of days...I feel like being an Elf would be the coolest thing ever. Reasons being...well I don't think I really need to explain that to those here, considering it's common knowledge. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

What do I feel like today? At this point, I'm thinking a Jedi sounds pretty good. *winces in anticipation of possibly getting flamed*

~*Laialthriel*~
"Let us run with patience the race that is set before us." --Phil 3:14
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." --Gandalf the Gray
Laialthriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 01:59 PM   #70
Finnguala
Wight

Finnguala has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

ELF ELF ELF ELF ELF ELF ELF ELF ELF ELF ELF

I don't know why [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 03-03-2003, 04:28 PM   #71
GlingleglingleglingleFairy
Animated Skeleton

GlingleglingleglingleFairy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Woot. Sar Wars and LotR really can't be compared. I like the old, original Star Wars and really HATE Attack of the Clones. (JarJar especially) The first Star Wars had class and style (Han Solo, teeheehee) and the new ones have none, only a sickeningly cute little boy who grows up to be even more sickeningly cute. Darth Vader is much better evil.

Some people prefer cupcakes. I for one care less for them.
GlingleglingleglingleFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 05:03 PM   #72
Mithril
Pile O'Bones

Mithril has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I like both and I'm not going to compare them because I see them as two different movies. I like the original three SW movies better than the two newer ones, but I think Episodes I and II were okay. I was a SW fan first, but I'm still a LOTR fan! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-03-2003, 05:33 PM   #73
Goldberry
Shade of Carn Dûm

Goldberry has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Goldberry
As I little kid, I loved Star Wars. I watched the old movies, like, every Saturday night, hehe [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] . I still love them, but the new ones were really dissapointing!! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Anyway, I think I can never love SW as much as LotR because to me, the biggest thing I like about LotR is that there is a whole world to get lost in; to be able to almost feel a part of. There is a history and everything. But in SW, there just a story, but not really much explanation of the history or anything. I dunno, it's hard to explain, and maybe that's just me. But I do love SW anyway, the original movies I mean. I found the 2 new ones quite boring (except for Yoda's fight scene [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img])
Old 03-04-2003, 05:18 PM   #74
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Sting

I don't have much experience with Star Wars....the one time I saw one, I don't even know which one, every time I looked people were shooting each other with razers. Revealing, no?...You may be able to tell, what I did see, even not fighting parts, did not seem good to me, but I wouldn;t really know. I am addicted to LotR though!
Old 03-04-2003, 05:44 PM   #75
Vardadurwen
Wight

Vardadurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Nearly my entire family was huge Star Wars fans for a long time there. I can remember the movies ever since I can remember basically lol. They were really great movies, great stories too. My brother was a die-hard though: he read every single book written that continued the stories of all the characters. I was never that involved, but I really liked the movies.

'Now there's an eye-opener and no mistake!' - Samwise Gamgee
Vardadurwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 11:13 AM   #76
Pervinca Burrows from Combe

Sting

I don't regularly watch star wars, i used to really like the older Star Wars movies but episode 1&2 were not all that good and very confusing. So ever since they came out iv lost almost all intrest.
Old 03-10-2003, 06:56 PM   #77
hobbit punk
Haunting Spirit

hobbit punk has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

The original Star Wars movies are sci-fi at its best. Episodes One and Two have ceased to exist in my mind for I refuse to acknowledge their existence(except to express now how truly awful they are [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ). Personally, I really enjoy sci-fi in general and I like to get some of my artistic inspiration from it. Fantasy still leads the way in my heart but there is always room for a wookie and a couple droids as well. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ March 10, 2003: Message edited by: hobbit punk ]
Old 03-11-2003, 06:27 PM   #78
Lady Alasse
Wight

Lady Alasse has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

My personal Favorite (of all times) is LOTR. I do enjoy reading the SW books and watching the movies though. but SW doesn't go as in depth as LOTR. you never hear the whole history of SW and the people definetly didn't create whole new languages. Sure they may have invented a word here or there but it can't compare with Tolkeins Quenya. I don't know why people doen't like AOTC. It is my favorite of all the movies. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
He teacheth my hands to war; so that a bow of steel is broken by my arms.-II Samuel 22:35
Lady Alasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 11:20 AM   #79
deMEnTEd3005

Sting

i like 'em both both good movies in my opinion
Old 03-12-2003, 02:29 PM   #80
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Sting

Star Wars is okay, but I like science fiction and stuff that could have or could be related to real life. Everyone says Star Wars is science fiction, but it doesn't have an ounce of realism. The original three were a joke. Like I said, it's okay.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote