Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2003, 05:37 PM   #1
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe Last Hope for Moria Discussion Thread

Amanaduial and Imladris invite you to play:

Last Hope for Moria

Historical Background: The story is set thirty years before the War of the Ring, when many orcs haunted, killed, and languished in the darkness of Khazad-dum and lived in fear of Durin’s Bane: A balrog.

All players will need to be familiar with the first 3 pages of Chapter V: The Bridge of Khazad-Dum from The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien.

Basic Storyline:

Balin and a band of thirty dwarves set out from Erebor and journey to Khazad-dum in order to re-conquer the vast realm of Dwarrow-delf and again make it the great Kingdom of the Dwarves. They will at first have relative success: they defeat a few bands of orcs, they find True Silver, and repair work goes marvelously. But then, the Shadow grows stronger, and the feeble strength of the Dwarves cannot stay it. The gate of Hollin is flooded, and a Watcher lurks in the black waters, slaying all who come within its reach. Finally, when all is lost, a meager few stand together against Durin’s Bane in The Chamber of Records, before they too, fall into death.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 3:45 PM January 13, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 12-31-2003, 05:38 PM   #2
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The purpose of the story is to: Reclaim Moria for the Dwarves.

This means we will know the story is over when: All have fallen

Starting Location: Erebor (the Lonely Mountain)

Likely destination: Moria – Death
Old 12-31-2003, 05:39 PM   #3
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Timeframes:

This game takes place in the Third Age at around year 2989.

The plot itself covers five years.

This game requires a time commitment of at least 14 weeks from us, the game owners, and from the major players.

When your character is good, dead and buried, you, the player, do not need to post anymore and thus are released from your 14 week commitment if the death happened before then.
Old 12-31-2003, 05:42 PM   #4
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Character Types

Dwarves (main characters) and orcs (secondary characters).

Please note for each character type needed:

Dwarves: 12 total: 8 Males named by Tolkien + 2 additional Males (1 of whom is much older than the others and very traditional; the other 1 of the gamer’s choosing); 2 Females.

Note: these Dwarves are the dwarves who set out from the Lonely Mountain to Moria and do not include Dain Ironfoot except as a briefly played character.

If you are playing a female, please look in Appendix A under Durin’s Folk and read about Dis, the mother of Fili and Kili.

~*~

1 Orc captain + 3 Orc minions.

These are secondary characters. If a player would like to play a dwarf and an Orc, that is fine as well. These would be good characters if you do not have a lot of time.)

~*~

Character types which would not belong: Anything that is not a Dwarf or Orc
Old 12-31-2003, 05:47 PM   #5
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Characters Needed

DWARVES:

Game Owners
  • Balin son of Fundin: Imladris
  • Ori Bronzeshield: Imladris (wrote the last entries in the journal found by Gandalf and company in Moria)
  • King Dain Ironfoot: Aman (Will appear only briefly in conference and correspondence with Balin)
  • Flori Bronzeshield: Aman(one of the characters mentioned in the journal)

~*~

Need these male Dwarf characters: (except for the 2 additional males - these are all characters mentioned in the Moria journal)

All players will need to be familiar with the first 3 pages of Chapter V: The Bridge of Khazad-Dum from The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien. You will need to stay true to how Tolkien states your character dies.
  • Oin
  • Frar
  • Loni
  • Nali
  • Floi - first to die
  • 1 Male Dwarf much older than all the others, very traditional

~*~

Need 2 female Dwarf Characters

If you are playing a female, please look in Appendix A at the end of Return of the King. Look under Durin’s Folk there and read about Dis, the mother of Fili and Kili.
  • Female #1
  • Female#2

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

ORCS
  • Orc captain
  • Orc minion #1
  • Orc minion #2
  • Orc minion #3

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 4:07 PM January 04, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 12-31-2003, 05:49 PM   #6
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Owners' First Post for the game:

Balin strode the streets of Dale proudly: his white beard wagging in the wind, his scarlet cap askew upon his hoary head, yet he was completely oblivious to the comings and goings around him. He saw, yet did not see, the frolicking birds in the sky spattered with the white clouds; heard, but did not hear, the bickering and bargaining of men, the gossiping of women, or the songs of bards as they strummed their lutes and sang with lovely voices of the distant past. Turning he gazed upon the Lonely Mountain with sad fondness: it was a prosperous realm, and had now become quite wealthy, especially since the nuisance of the dragon had been slain. A smile, wistful and longing, suddenly broke upon Balin’s face as he thought of old Bilbo Baggins and the adventures they had had together as they had escaped from one danger only to be thrown into another and worse one. But then a whispered word, a word cloak in darkness, found his ear: Moria and Khazad-dum. Rich it once was, ringing with sound of the smiths, sparkling in the beauty of wealth, and filled with scurrying dwarves whose hearts were burdened with a growing greed for Truesilver. A fire stirred in Balin’s heart as the words murmured of great deeds and the pounding of the smiths as they fashioned beauty out of ungainly metal. Long had the Darkness governed Moria, long had it wallowed in the presence of evil. It was time for the Darkness to be swept away.

He resolutely shook his head, and strode towards the Lonely Mountain. It rose from the ground like a throne from the flat plains that surrounded it and Dale. Passing through the gates, he sought audience with the king, and, striding into the throne room, he saw, with slight surprise, that Floi and Ori were already there. Pausing, he began to silently withdraw when the king gestured to him.

“Hail King!” Balin cried, bowing and noticing with side-tracked satisfaction that a great portion of his long beard brushed the floor. “I have come to ask a boon: I wish to take a company of Dwarves and march to Khazad-dum, and there reclaim it from the darkness and make it again the greatest kingdom of the dwarves.” Balin never was one for dawdling around a subject.

Ori gasped audibly and glanced sharply at king Dain, hoping that he would see the foolhardiness of it. Why, the trip itself would be murder and who knew what lurked in the darkness, what dread thing would appear from its black depths?

From the expression on Dain’s face, it was clear the king thought the same. Dain’s bushy eyebrows almost seemed to disappear beneath his fine, jewel-encrusted crown, and for a moment, all his face registered was complete and utter shock. But he gathered himself quickly, and gave a small out take of breath, as if he was about to laugh, hoping Balin was jesting. But the dwarf in front of him showed no sign of jesting, his face serious, and Dain’s smile dropped from his face. “To…to Moria, Balin? To…take back Moria?” Disbelief was in his voice.

Balin nodded, unperturbed. “But of course, highness! To reclaim the awesome stretch of underground that is Moria! To make it a kingdom all would be proud of! To see the flag of the dwarves of the Lonely Mountain fly from the great tower of Zirak-Zigil –”

“It is madness, Balin.” Balin’s voice had been rising as he spoke, had been growing more and more excited and inspired, but Dain interrupted him, his voice low and incredulous.
Suddenly the smile was gone from Balin’s face as well. “Madness? It is madness to wish to reclaim what is rightfully ours? Explain yourself, King Dain!”

“You forget yourself, Balin,” Dain replied sharply. The tone of the conversation was rapidly deteriorating, and Dain knew Balin’s famous anger was soon to come out. But he himself was no lightweight at arguing, and the courtiers around the room were beginning to shift nervously, unsure of what was to happen. He kept his tone of voice civil as he took a deep breath and spoke once more. “Balin, the lost stronghold of Moria has long been left untended to –“

“And so I wish to once more make it ours!” Balin interjected with a cry.

“- and have you not wondered why that is so?” Dain continued slightly louder. Balin did not answer for a moment, staring at Dain for a second, then looking away, out of a high, fine window. For the few moments in which Balin seemed to mull it over, Dain felt hope return to him, hope that his friend had not lost his wits entirely. All around the throne room, there was the feeling of everything holding its breath…before Balin turned back, his eyes glittering.

“Not unnecessarily so,” He replied quietly. Dain sighed, and was about to say more, but Balin continued, his voice more earnest now. “Highness, I do not doubt you too have heard tales of another treasure that is said to be lost in the mines. A thing of valued of valued worth, a thing that would make our failing race great again.”

A murmur rippled around the room, and Dain cursed inwardly – that rumour, as Balin put it, would now be amplified a hundred times over and repeated all over the Dale. Balin went on, “It is not only the mithril that would reward a being who went down there, not if they looked hard enough. You know what I speak of, my Lord.” Balin’s voice was even, but the excitement in it was audible. He knew this would be a turning point.

Dain sighed, closing his eyes. “I know of what you speak. The ring…” the murmur which had gone around the room increased tenfold, all the courtiers now talking excitedly, not covering it. Dain opened his eyes to look at Balin, ignoring all else but the determined individual in front of him.

Yes, he knew what it was that Balin spoke of. Had he not, like any other eager and adventurous dwarf of this age, dreamt of it? Had he not felt it would be so easy, that he was so close to it that if he could just find the spot, that he would own it, a treasure that would beat any other? And when he had become king, had he not more than once felt that excitement, that now he had the power to truly grasp it, with the strength of all the dwarves at his command…but there was a fundamental difference between Dain and Balin; Dain had learnt to push down that greed, that yearning. He had a bad feeling about this – why had Moria lain quiet for so long? What caused the dwarves to nervously turn their backs on so plentiful a place… But the yearning was returning to Dain, despite his bad feelings. If a group of dwarves went to the mines, and set the fires glowing once more, it would be a great credit to all at the Dale, but more than that; if they found the ring, what then? Dain would be held above all dwarves, and the treasure and wonder of his kingdom would be more vast than any other…

He held Balin’s gaze, and for a few moments was indecisive. But the glint in Balin’s eye would not vanish, and Dain knew his friend well. He sighed, and straightened up, standing. “Very well, Balin, son of Fundin. Your request may be granted. You may take a group of loyal followers and travel to the mines of Moria, with my blessing…”

The last part of Dain’s speech was swallowed as the murmur rose to a roar, and slowly, defeated, the king sat down again.

Ori’s spirit plummeted into the depths of gloom when he heard Dain’s pronouncement of favor to the mad proposition of Balin. Nevertheless, as Balin was leaving the room, a merry tune whistling from his lips, Ori cried, “Wait, Balin! Let me come with you!”

“I was hoping you would volunteer, Ori,” said Balin with a warm smile. “Any one else?” he winked mischievously at the king, but was surprised when Floi joined.

As the three friends strode from the room, Ori murmured,

The world is grey, the mountains old,
The forge’s fire is ashen cold;
No harp is wrung, no hammer falls:
The darkness dwells in Durin’s halls.
The shadow lies upon his tomb
In Moria, in Khazad-dum.
But still the sunken stars appear
In dark and windless Mirrormere;
There lies his crown in waters deep.
Till Durin wakes again from sleep.
Old 12-31-2003, 05:52 PM   #7
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Imladris’ Character Description - Balin:

NAME: Balin son of Fundin

RACE: Dwarf

WEAPONS: He carries several axes: Two are lightweight throwing ones with golden runes engraved upon the wooden handle. The third is a fairly heavy fighting axe that is slung across his back. Dwarven runes are engraved on the stone blade, as well as upon the wooden handle.

APPEARANCE: His white beard falls to his waist, though it is a trifle straggly towards the end. He wears a scarlet hood when he travels. Twinkling brown eyes often laugh with merriment, though they burn with fierce fury when angered. Though old, he is still strong, sturdy, and his pride and stubbornness have no less abated. He is not easily angered, but he has an ardent heart and he will not retreat when he believes he is right.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Normally good natured, Balin often struggles with the fierce pride and stubbornness that is so customary to the dwarves. When a matter of great importance is debated, he will not retreat from verbal battle if he believes himself in the right. He will ardently fight for what is good, even if all is lost. Ever since the whispered words of Moria has reached his ear, he has dreamed of Khazad-dum and he wishes that the Dwarvish Kingdom would once again be restored to its great beauty and that the sound of hammers fashioning mithril would once again ring in its mighty halls. He is anxious to be helpful and will not hesitate to show sympathy to a suffering person or offer surrender to a fallen enemy.

HISTORY: He journeyed with Thorin Oakenshield and aided in the Battle of Five Armies. Since then, he has been contentedly living under the Lonely Mountain, save for the occasions he visits his old friend, Bilbo Baggins of the Shire.
Old 12-31-2003, 05:55 PM   #8
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Imladris’ Character Description - Ori:

NAME: Ori Bronzeshield, distant relative of Thorin Oakenshield

WEAPONS: He carries one throwing axe and one fighting axe. Both are hooked to his gem studded belt, but are lacking in any sort of decoration.

APPEARANCE: He is always wearing a brown hood that matches his dirt brown beard that is beginning to streak with grey. He wears a simple coat of mail over his brown shirt and breeches, and a belt of silver is girt around his waist.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: He is loyal to friends and family, even when they are in the wrong, and is a close friend to Balin, whom he views almost as another brother in addition to Floi. Quiet by nature, Ori prefers to work metal than to fight, and loves to play upon his flute in the lonely hours of the night. He is well versed in Dwarven lore, and is often the singer of tales and teller of stories upon the long journeys. He is no coward and a talented warrior.

HISTORY: Born many years ago, he had lived in the Lonely Mountain and was but a lad when the Dragon came. He escaped with Thorin and slaved beside him when they mined charcoal in the mountains. He was rather fond of Bilbo Baggins and was glad, in the end, that they had brought him along. Not especially fond of fighting, he was hardly pleased when Thorin had so stubbornly refused to give the men of Dale some of the gold, and had heartily wished that he was free of the entire business. He had fought bravely at the Battle of the Five Armies and was happy to think that that would be the last battle he would again fight.

Imladris’ post - Ori:

Ori stroked his wooden flute fondly as he gently tucked it away in a small travelling bag. He smiled as he remembered the odd circumstances the instrument had been given him: a wood-elf of Mirkwood had given it as a gift when he had saved the elf’s life during the Battle of Five Armies. Intricate carvings of vine and forest flowers wrapped itself about the flute, and it’s tone was haunting and enchanting and woke sweet memories or inflamed the heart to bold deeds.

He glanced out the window and roving grass lands met his eye. The sky was blue with mere wisps of cloud floating above. The sun shone brightly and a gem glittered somewhere near. A pleasant breeze brought the fresh smell of grass and flowers into the slightly musty room. All was so fair, and yet an unseen shadow hovered over their pleasant realm. Unsettling rumors whispered seductively into one’s ears, a voice of power was nigh. Alas that Balin heeded those whispers of ruin and destruction!

Ori’s thoughts turned to Balin, and Ori wished again that Balin was not so driven to reclaim Moria. Darkness held it, evil had the once mighty kingdom in its grasp. It would be folly to return, and certain death. “I cannot leave Balin alone to his fate,” Ori said aloud as he placed a brown hood upon his head. Maybe he himself was wrong, and Balin was right: maybe they would be able to conquer it again and find the Dwarven ring of power. A chill hand passed over Ori’s heart sweeping the hope away and a gloomy prediction took hold of the dwarf’s mind: they would find no ring, only death in the darkness of Khazad-dum.
Old 12-31-2003, 05:56 PM   #9
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Aman’s Character Description - Dain

NAME: Dain Ironfoot

WEAPONS: Dain does not carry his weapons any more most of the time, apart from the large, ceremonial axe which he wears strapped across his back, with a silver blade curved both ways and with the wooden shaft going through it; dwarven runes are carved along beside the edge of the blade.

APPEARANCE: He is, like all dwarfs, bearded, and the length and whiteness of his beard is something that all can respect, and befitting of a king. He wears the true silver crown of the Lonely Mountain and Dale, one of the great treasures of the dwarfs, inlaid with medium sized, glittering emeralds. He is not ancient, but his face is still wise, that of a good leader and wise king, but his dark eyes still gleam with merriment often. He is quite tall for a dwarf, and sprightly for one of his age, strong still.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Practical and wise, Dain is a good king it cannot be denied, a fair ruler over his domain. He is just, whether it is with his own people or with others, and a strong leader, in the everyday life of his kingdom and in battle, being a warrior still. He is also, however, able to jest with those close to him, and would protect his kingdom and those close to him fiercely. Despite this, however, Dain also has his bad points; he has been fairly called stubborn more than once, although he tries to keep a fairly unbiased side in arguments, and, like many dwarfs, is very proud, although not, it must be said, as proud as Balin.

HISTORY: Dain has lived all of his life around the Lonely Mountain, and was of great aid in the Battle of Five Armies. He has travelled somewhat during his life, but always returns to his home.
Right from the beginning, he was still against Balin’s idea of an expedition to Moria, having a very bad feeling about why exactly the dwarfs had so definitely turned away from the mines in the first place…
Old 12-31-2003, 05:57 PM   #10
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Aman’s Character Description - Flori

Name: Flori Bronzeshield, distant relative of Thorin Oakenshield

Race : Dwarf

WEAPONS: Flori carries several small throwing axes, only about seven inches each in length, and moderately simple in design, apart from the small, but elegantly carves crest at the end of the handle of each; Flori’s own crest, the letters FB in a shield. He also carries across his back a larger, close-combat axe, which is nearly three feet tall and which he hefts with considerable strength. His namesake comes from his bronze shield.

APEARANCE: Flori is quite tall for a dwarf. He wears a strong, steel mail shirt, made for him by his brother, Ori, for his birthday years back, which is decorated around the V-neck with a few studded orbs of bronze, because of his name, and a few rubies. He is not as stocky as many dwarves, but is still well muscled and strong. He wears a pair of dark trousers and a lighter shirt under his mail shirt, and a belt decorated and buckled with silver over his mail shirt. His eyes are bright blue in colour and his expression is often one of merriment, his face tanned, and, in battle, fierce, and his beard is dark brown, the same as his hair, but streaked with greyish white now.

PERSONALITY: Flori is more of a warrior than a miner, unlike his brother, whom he is very close to. He is moderately popular, and often works as a peacemaker, but when his fiery temper is stirred or his friends or brother insulted or hurt, he will go wild. He too plays the flute, a wooden one he carved when wiling away a long night on watch once and which he has improved since then, although his was more light hearted in tone than Ori’s relatively melancholy and haunting one. He is a warrior through and through, but loves to listen to stories, re-tell folk lore, and create his own from other things he has heard. He and Ori are very close, and Flori is also a great friend of Balin, and a courtier of the King.

HISTORY: Like his brother, Flori was born in the Lonely Mountain, but was away with their father when the dragon came, and met up again with Ori and Thorin, who Ori escaped with, later on, greatly relieved they had managed to get away, although their mother perished in the flames of Smaug. He trained as a warrior and as a miner when he was young, but preferred the former, and went on several expeditions scouting out and dispatching of threats to the land such as small bands of orcs, developing a taste for travelling. Despite this, however, he feels as uneasy as Dain about Balin’s suggested expedition to Moria, but will back his friend openly. He fought bravely beside the King in the Battle of the Five Armies, and does not fear battle.

Aman’s Post - Flori:

“I cannot leave Balin alone to his fate.”

Flori heard his brother’s determined voice from his room, the room next to Flori’s own, and replied from where he stood, leaning against the door. “Aye, brother, and neither will I.” Ori turned at the sound of his voice, and returned Flori’s smile, but both smiles held more than a hint of worry. Flori walked forward further into the room, lowering his voice. “But would it not be better if there was no need for him to have to meet such a fate as you no doubt imagine?”

Ori sighed, but did not answer, and Flori understood. The pair were close, and their deep friendship was as strong as the bond of blood they shared, but they both also treasured Balin as a friend. Neither would abandon him, but Flori knew his little brother feared the same as he himself; that he felt the same doubt about this excursion to the lost mines of Moria.

Moria was lost – wasn’t that what the elders always said? Or, as they preferred to put it, Moria was no longer a place for the dwarves. But Balin paid no heed to them, and to the rumours of the shadows that had grown so long in Moria, tales of old that were suddenly going to be brought up close by this quest; all he listened to were the tales of the treasures down there. True silver; plentiful mines; rich, vast halls. And, most of all one of the seven dwarven rings, worn by the kings of old, a prize greater than any other.

Flori sighed, crossing the room slowly to sit in a chair by the window, and closed his eyes for a few moments. When he opened them, his bright, azure gaze took in the plentiful land of the Dale for as far as he could see. A rich land, now they had reclaimed it for their own in the Battle of Five Armies, and a content people as well. What more could they wish for? But Flori understood Balin’s desire, and knew also that the dwarf wished to travel, as the younger warrior did himself. And after all, who would not wish for such a treasure as was held by Moria, no matter what the cost?

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 4:10 PM January 04, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 12-31-2003, 06:09 PM   #11
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

PROSPECTIVE GAME PLAYERS

It is a requirement that all potential game players will either have posted in one of the RPG Inns (preferably in The Green Dragon) or have played in an RPG on the Barrow Downs.

Please use this form for creating your character to post on the discussion thread.

Those who have not played before in a Barrow Downs' RPG will be given preference. Final preference, though, will be at the discretion of the Game Owner.

Character Description Form:

1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? – YES/NO - Which one?

2.) How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in?

List them, please:

Please note you may play in only 3 games at one time.

3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? – YES/NO – Which one?

For your character please include:

NAME:

RACE:

WEAPONS (No magical, super-hero, mithril weapons. Just good solid Middle-earth weapons and armor only that is appropriate to the race of the character and the time period.):

APPEARANCE:

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: (No half-Elven characters. No mixed-type characters. No super-heroes. No assassins. No one all powerful, martial arts proficient, or having any magical traits. Just regular characters with normal abilities for their races only):

HISTORY:

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

A FIRST POST FOR YOUR CHARACTER MUST ACCOMPANY THIS FORM.

It is a requirement for this game. Character Descriptions without a First Post attached will be sent back to the writer. They may be submitted again, once there is a First Post to go with them.
Old 12-31-2003, 06:15 PM   #12
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Again - Characters Needed

DWARVES:

Game Owners
  • Balin son of Fundin: Imladris
  • Ori Bronzeshield: Imladris (wrote the last entries in the journal found by Gandalf and company in Moria)
  • King Dain Ironfoot: Aman (Will appear only briefly in conference and correspondence with Balin)
  • Flori Bronzeshield: Aman (one of the characters mentioned in the journal)

~*~

Need these male Dwarf characters: (except for the 2 additional males - these are all characters mentioned in the Moria journal)

All players will need to be familiar with the first 3 pages of Chapter V: The Bridge of Khazad-Dum from The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien. You will need to stay true to how Tolkien states your character dies.
  • Oin
  • Frar
  • Loni
  • Nali
  • Floi
  • 1 Male Dwarf, of the gamer’s imagination who might have been in Moria

~*~

Need 2 female Dwarf Characters

If you are playing a female, please look in Appendix A at the end of Return of the King. Look under Durin’s Folk there and read about Dis, the mother of Fili and Kili.
  • Female #1
  • Female#2

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

ORCS
  • Orc captain
  • Orc minion #1
  • Orc minion #2
  • Orc minion #3

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 4:11 PM January 04, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 12-31-2003, 06:16 PM   #13
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

FIRST POSTS MUST BE SUBMITTED WITH YOUR CHARACTER DESCRIPTION

All character descriptions not accompanied by a First Post will be returned to their writers.

Players will NOT be chosen because they submitted their character earlier than the other players. The Game Owners, will read each post and character bio and then make the choice for players accordingly.
Old 12-31-2003, 06:30 PM   #14
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The Discussion Thread is now open to take on Players for the game.

Have Fun!

Piosenniel, Game moderator

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 1:34 PM January 02, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-02-2004, 12:54 PM   #15
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
Sting

This is a great idea for an RPG, ever since I first read the plot and everything, I've been dying to play a part in it! Unfortunatly, I dont have the time to try for any of the dwarves, so instead I thought I'd try for one of the orc minions. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

1.)Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? – YES
  • Truth in a Dark Place
  • Quest for the Ainereg
  • The Road to Erebor
  • None
3.)Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? – YES
  • The Green Dragon

NAME: Nazklâsh

RACE: Orc

WEAPONS: Nazklâsh has only a regular orc-scimitar, but it is very effective in battle.

APPEARANCE: Nazklâsh is smaller than most orcs in Moria, but because of this he is much more agile than the others, and can maneuver his way through battles easier. He is missing half of his index finger on his right hand, and has many scars on his face and hands.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Nazklâsh, like most orcs, loves to fight, but he is impatient and does not want to wait around for fights to come to him, he wants to leave Moria and attack the cities around the mountains. He is quick for an orc, but can get so caught up in killing a foe, that he will forget everything that is going on around him.

HISTORY: Nazklâsh has lived in Moria for almost all his life, and has normally been sent to guard the main passagways throughout the great mine.

Carlas' post

The sun rose slowly, bathing the Misty Mountains in a soft light. The air was crisp and cool, and the sky was clear, no clouds for miles, and the Misty Mountains stood tall and proud in the morning light, but none of this could be seen from within the deeps of Moria.

Inside the old mine it was dark and damp. Moria, once filled with dwarves and beauty, were now cold and wet with cobwebs all across the walls and ceiling. The tunnels, where precious stones and jewels were once mined, were now empty and lifeless. The halls, where dwarves had once danced and sang, were silent. None now dwelled in the deep mines and shafts of Moria, none except the orcs who had taken it years ago for their own.

The orcs of Moria now prowled in the deep halls, watching and waiting for any that would dare to enter in their domain. They had come to Moria years before, and would not let anyone take it back from them, so they always had eyes watching even in the darkest of tunnels.

“Why we have to sit ‘ere all day? It’s not like anyone’s going to come down ‘ere anyways. No fool would dare enter Moria now!” Nazklâsh turned his grotesque face to the other orcs crouching beside him. He had always hated having to sit and watch for intruders, when there never was any intruders, thinking it was pointless and a waste of his time. He yearned for a fight, for a battle, to feel his weapon in his hand as he cut deep into another’s chest. He hated staying in the mines and waiting for beings that never came, he wanted to go attack the villages and cities around the mountains.

“Ah, something’ll come Nazklâsh, one of these days, then we’ll fight, and have our way with ‘em.” The orc sitting beside him said as he pulled himself up into a deep crouch. He was larger than Nazklâsh, but that never bothered him, he knew he could out-maneuver those lugs any day. The orc smiled, with the thought of a battle, his dark, slimy teeth reflecting the only bit of light coming from a window high up in the large room. “The chief said we take no prisoners, if anything comes in here, they’re ours.”

“If.” Nazklâsh muttered through his clenched teeth. “If anything comes in ‘ere.”

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 2:12 PM January 02, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-02-2004, 01:04 PM   #16
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
Silmaril

This RPG looks cool! Mind if I join?

Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? - No

How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in? -None

Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? – Yes which one? -Green Dragon

NAME: Nali Ironfoot

WEAPONS: Nali carries one throwing axe and one combat axe engraved with runes on its blade. Nali also carries a small club tied around his waist.

APPEARANCE: At 4'8, Nali has a scar on his brow. He has a brown beard that goes down to his heart. With green eyes, Nali wears a bronze helmet. Also, Nali always wears a thin layer of chain mail.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Nali has a very comedic heart. Although funny, he is very tenacious and won’t give up no matter what. Nali is a very proficient fighter, although his intelligence runs short. Nali is very prejudice against non-dwarfs and frequently makes bias impressions about them. Nali has a gambling problem and an obsession for treasure. His combined urges for money and fighting has lead him to follow Balin's expedition for glory, riches, and a good laugh.

HISTORY: Born in the Iron Mountains, Nali Ironfoot lived a happy life, until his father, Dwali, died while Nali was young. Wandering to the Erebor, Nali tried to help in the resistance of Smaug. Although not allowed to help, Nali entered Dale after the battle of Five Armies. After peace was restored to Erebor, Nali build a house near the mountain and began living a normal life. That is, until he got a summons from Balin.

The Perky Ent's post

The warmth of the sun brushed across the several layers of Nali's beard. A breeze rushed across the mountain as Nail tied his boots and checked his mail. A letter with a silver trim and a very royal seal caught Nali's eye. With a bit of uncertainty, Nali opened the letter slowly, as if it was a firework, ready to explode. With a befuddled face, Nali read the parchment, which stated:

Dear Nali, I, Balin invite you to partake in an expedition of honor, glory, and riches... Nali stopped as the opportunity of riches crossed his eyes. Nali had been in a bit of trouble with some very noble dwarfs owing them a hearty amount of money, due to an unfortunate mix-up. An unfortunate mix-up called cheating. The letter continued: ...I only ask you to visit me with a band of other dwarf's near king Dain's hall. There is some travel involved, and quite a bit of fighting, and...Uh...possibly injuries on one level or another...but the reward fully compensates the trials you face. And then some! If you would please visit me at mid-day, I would be much obliged. Cordially yours, Balin son of Fundin.

Nali was shocked. The riches spoke of would more than cover his debts, as well as make him a very rich man. A wise dwarf, or even a normal dwarf would have questioned the part about injuries on one lever or another, but then, Nali was not a normal dwarf. So Nali build up his strength, and at noon, he set off for Balin.

The travel took longer than expected, as it was several hours past mid-day when Nali finally made it to Balin. There were many dwarfs gathered by Balin, all looking like they were ready to set out. Nali couldn't help but feel ashamed about his lack of preparation. But then again, there was no call for an immediate travel.

Balin walked slowly to Nali, and with a mumbled comment under his breath, Balin greeted Nali with a very hearty, "Good Day!" Nali responded with his normal reply to a good day, which was: "Isn't it, though.”

"I will not lie to you, Nali son of Dwali, this mission is substantially dangerous. We, which is to say me and a couple of these dwarfs over here, are going on a quest. A quest...to reclaim Moria." Balin said in a depressed voice. If Nali had been drinking, it would have sprinted farther than ever before.

"Moria? Are you mad, Balin? Dwarrow-delf is destoryed. Have you heard none of the stories." Nali said as he swallowed a considerable amount of air. "Have you heard none of the stories of Durin's bane? There is terror there not conceivable to even the wisest dwarf. And you wish to reclaim it?"

"True, there is danger. But there is more to Khazad-dum than evil, Nali. There is mithril. A substance harder than dragon scales. And I'm not talking about shards of a once shining gem. I'm talking about mithril as far as the mine can see. An amount worth more than middle earth. Don't you see? With the reclaiming of Moria, we will bring the dying race of the dwarfs into the minds of all he dwell in Middle Earth!" Balin said, excitement pouring into his face.

There was silence. Despite his low intelligence, Nali new what fate probably awaited him. But this quest was not meant to sooth the debts of Nali son of Dwali. It was for all dwarfs and their honor.

With a shifty look, Nali spoke: "Alright. I'll do it! When do we leave?"

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 3:56 AM January 06, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
Old 01-02-2004, 01:13 PM   #17
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Sting

Thanks Pio [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Carlas - Wow, that has to be a first; the first post on an RPG has been taken by one of the bad guys! Unusual to pick a smaller, apparently weaker character as well - a nice change. I can't say yes without Imladris's approval, of course, but excellent [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Just a note about the orcs - you will probably not have much to do until the dwarves get the Moria. This doesn't mean you can't post, but it means your posts, at the beginning, do not have to be as frequent as the dwarven players until they reach Khazad-dum, or until they are nearby at least.

The Perky Ent - Excellent! I have already talked to Imladris about your profile - she agreed. We have our Nali!

A great start to the discussion - keep 'em coming, ladies and gents, keep 'em coming...
Old 01-02-2004, 02:12 PM   #18
Mercy of the Valar

Sting

1.)Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? –

No

None

3.)Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan?

The Green Dragon

~~~~~~
NAME:Wazkûl

WEAPONS: Wazkûl carries a dwarf axe and a scimitar

APPEARANCE: Wazkûl is a large orc with a shaved head and sharp black teeth. He wears old cracked armor that shows all the blows he has been dealt in battle and bears a large white jagged scar on his shoulder that he was given many years before. He also only has one eye.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Wazkûl is an extememly prideful orc and fancies himself the leader in any situation. In short, hes snobby and bossy. Like many orcs, he lusts for blood, but when his own life is in peril, hes a coward. Hes very selfish as well and dislikes those who try to show authority over him for he feels he is the ultimate leader. He craves power.

HISTORY: Wazkûl comes from deep inside the mines and has lived there for most of his life. He used to have a fellow orc he considered his brother, but killed him in a fight over the shiny dwarf axe that he bears. Yet also that is how he lost his eye when the orc gouged it out before he died.

Mercy of the Valar's post

“Why we have to sit ‘ere all day? It’s not like anyone’s going to come down ‘ere anyways. No fool would dare enter Moria now!” Said Nazklâsh turning to his companions with a look that Wazkûl knew well, for he felt it himself.

Blood lust was a funny thing. Craving the feel of blade to armor or even better, to bare skin. To smirk as your victim collapses in pain as you finish him off, miserable creature. It made Wazkûl shiver with pleasure at the thought as he felt his way into a crotch in the wall, running his blackened finger down the side of his dwarf blade.

“Ah, something’ll come Nazklâsh, one of these days, then we’ll fight, and have our way with ‘em.” Wazkûl said. Have our way with them. Wazkûl smiled, the bloodstains on his teeth reflected the strained rays of light from the sickly mountain sun that somehow had squirmed into the cool, dark, dankness of Moria,“The chief said we take no prisoners, if anything comes in here, they’re ours.”

"If." Nazklâsh said in a skeptical tone, "If anything comes in 'ere,"

Wazkûl snarled and gnashed his teeth. The worm Nazklâsh was getting on his nerves. The smaller orc, glared at him through narrowed eyes. Nazklâsh knew that Wazkûl's hulking body could crush him in an instant, and his hands could strangle the life out of him. But Wazkûl knew, himself, that Nazklâsh could slip away into the dark, nimble as sunlight, and come down upon him and slit his throat with a silent blade. They both were at each other's mercies.

The other orcs grunted about them. One called Kârtuz slammed his scimitar against one of the old crumbling walls in boredom.

"Be quiet, slug," Spit Wazkûl, "We dont't want the Cheif to hear any of that. You don't you head on a pike, do you? Or find yourself at the mercy of his whip?"

Those were the two ulitmate things that he feared. Though he refused to admit it, Wazkûl was terrified of the Chief. But the one thing that scared him more was the great darkness that lay in the deepest pits of Moria. The firey being. Him.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 3:32 PM January 02, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]

Old 01-02-2004, 02:22 PM   #19
Gird
Animated Skeleton

Gird has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

sorry about the rushed nature of my first post, i was in a hurry, please take into acount my other writings too

1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? –NO -

2.) How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in? None
List them, please: N/A

3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? YES Which one? The Green Dragon

NAME: Frar Silentshield

RACE: Dwarfish

WEAPONS: Frar carries a one handed, close combat axe, that he wears on his side. It has a wooden handle, and a stone blade that is rather plain, but strong. He also carries a short sword, that was given to him by his mothers brother, Boffur. He had found it in the troll cave at the same time that Thorin had found Orcrist. This sword had no magic qualities, however. Frar has a round shield, with a steel ring around the outside, which he uses in battle.

APPEARANCE: Frar is an average height Dwarf, and his arms are quite strong, as he has done much mining in his life. His beard is a respectable length, auburn in color, with a hint of gray here or there. He has three small braids in the front of his beard, which he is fond of. Frar wears a good strong iron mail shirt, over top of some leather armor. He also wears a fine steel helmet for combat, that he is quite proud of. Frar wears a dark green hooded cloak for travelling.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: In most circumstances, Frar is a cheery dwarf, that enjoys music, and storytelling, especially the legendary story, of Thorin Oakenshield and his reclaiming of the Lonely Mountain. He has long since, wished that he had been part of a great quest, or undertaking like that, himself. In battle, he fights very fiercely as he showed in The Battle Of The Five Armies along side king Dain and his army. He does not submit to his enemies and fights strong, unless commanded by a Dwarfish leader, or good friend to come away.

HISTORY: Frar was born, and lived most of his life in the Iron Hills, under Dain Ironfoot. A good portion of his time there, he spent mining, but his heart was in warfare. He loved the art of war since his beard was only 4 inches long, but since there wasn’t much fighting going on, he put himself to use as a miner. He came to Erebor with King Dain’s army though, in time to assist in the battle of the five armies. He stayed at The Lonely Mountain afterwards, and hasn’t returned to the Iron Hills. He befriended Balin, and the remaining Dwarfs of the legendary journey, and wished that he had been able to have been with them on their quest.

Gird's post

It was late morning in Dale and Erebor, but Frar Silentshield had just woken up. He had been late the night before, from a hunting trip. Late because they had shot a buck, at dusk, and they were a ways away from the mountain. By the time he got back, he was then very tired from cutting it up and hauling it back. They hadn't actually made it back until just before the dawn.

He looked around and saw the sunlight streaming in a long cut window throught the mountain. It was going to be a fine day indeed, he thought. He walked into the main hall, and looked around, still feeling a bit groggy. He was just going to try and find himself some food,(for he did enjoy his meals) when his younger brother, Fror, ran up to him.

"Frar, Frar! There’s a letter for you. Balin, son of Fundin, has been granted permission by the King to take some Dwarves to try and reclaim Moria! Oh... and he wants you to come!" Frar looked at his brotherfor a second, then asked, "Do you always read my mail?" Fror smiled a sheepish smile and turned away, embarassed. Frar chuckled, and looked at the letter.

~*~

Dear Frar,

I, Balin invite you to partake in an expedition of honor, glory, and riches. I only ask you to visit me with a band of other Dwarves near King Dain's hall. There is some travel involved, and quite a bit of fighting, and... possibly injuries on one level or another... but the reward fully compensates the trials you face. And then some! If you would please visit me at mid-day, I would be much obliged.

Cordially yours, Balin son of Fundin.

~*~

Frar stood there, thinking for a minute or two thinking about it. This was his chance! His chance for his adventure and glory! It was...

"Everyone thinks it's complete lunacy." Frar looked over to see Fror there again, looking over his shoulder. "Lunacy?! Hah! they would have said the same thing about Thorin and company retaking Erebor, and where would we be if he hadn't decided to take up this quest? Well, we certainly wouldn't be here." Fror was filled with a new vigour, and dreams of starting something amazing, a whole new colony, and starting the fires of Khazad-Dum once again.

"Does this mean you're leaving?" "You know... I do beleive it does, Fror" Frar looked at his brother for a second, and then said, "Oh! it's almost midday now! I must get my things together. Worry not brother, I will come to see you before I go!"

Frar turned and ran back into his room, and quickly and excitedly grabbed his weapons, armor and gear. He quickly ran towards Dain’s hall, and thought as he ran, yes, I suppose I must do this. Even if we are not successfull, and are all mercilessly killed, I will regret it for the rest of my life if they do succeed, and I will have missed the chance of my life. As he got closer to the hall, he saw a group of Dwarves around who he recognized as Balin. "Wait!" cried Frar.

"You'll not be getting far in Moria without me!"

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 3:54 AM January 06, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]

"I am Ugluk, I command."
Ugluk
Old 01-02-2004, 03:09 PM   #20
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Wow! This is going excellently!

Carlas what an excellent profile and first post! I love it. Since it seems that Aman likes it as well, I should say that you're in!

Mercy of the Valar and Gird , I need to talk Aman before I can accept you, but it looks promising!

Cheers all!

Old 01-02-2004, 04:50 PM   #21
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Carlas - accepted then
Mercy of the Valar - lovely, Imladris and myself both like your profile and post. Welcome [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Gird - Your profile is fine, and I like it, but the first post is, as you said, rushed. I know you said to judge it on your other writing, but as you haven't played in any other Downs games and the Green Dragon isn't a formal RPG (although I have been impressed with your writing there), I can't really do that. Could I ask you to expand on your post, and to make it less modern (please avoid 'uh' and 'wow')? The profile is fine, but the post maybe needs some re-doing. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks!

-Aman
Old 01-02-2004, 05:20 PM   #22
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Thanks very much! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

The characters so far look great, and I can't wait to get this rpg started! Oh, and just one question, where will the dwarves be entering Moria from?
Old 01-02-2004, 05:27 PM   #23
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

They shall be entering through the Great Gates. That is also where the Fellowship exited. In FotR it says

Quote:
We drove out orcs out of the great gate and guard...
Does that help?

Old 01-02-2004, 05:34 PM   #24
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Thanks.

I remebered reading that the way the fellowship had come was blocked, but I was just checking. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-02-2004, 05:56 PM   #25
randomhobbit42

Sting

Have you ever been in an RPG before? No.

Have you posted before in one of the Inns? Yes, the Green Dragon.

How many RPG's are you currently in? None.
----------------------------------------------

Name: Krolkhame, the Detestable

Race: Orcish

Weapons: An orc scmitar, of course. A whip with many glass shards within it. And his favorite weapon: his own claws, which are long and incredibly sharp.

Apperance: Krolkhame is a tall orc, even for one that hunches. He is bald on the top of his head, but in the back and on the sides his dark hair is braided. He has many scars on his face. In his neck are scars of where a wolf had attacked him. Though the wound has healed, the teeth are still there half-way jutting out. He wears poor clthing, but has a sash that signifies him as captain. Over his clothing he wears thick chain mail. He wears gloves and boots that expose his sharp claws.

Personaltity: Krolkhame is a very tactile person. He knows when to strike and where. He is quiet. He is patient, even for being an orc. But every now and then he has been know to be quick tempered, as he usually let's his minions know by the crack of his whip. He is evil, no doubt. He's not a psychopath, as his followers believe. He's a thinker, always planning his wicked schemes.

History: Krolkhame was a great captain under Bolg. He fought ferociously at the Battle of Five Armies, where he almost died. His own wolf turned on him and took a big bite out of him. He struck the wolf down and fled the battle. Many an orc followed him back to the Mountains, but they were attacked by eagles upon their return. Only a handful survived. They came back to their orc-holes and tried to rebuild their numbers. In the caverns of Moria they made thier dwelling, making their stand in the deep dark. Little did Krolkhame know that he had not seen the last of the dwarves. They were returning to their halls in great numbers. Krolhame and his comrads went into hiding.
--------------------------------------------

randomhobbit42's post

The sun was setting on the Misty Mountains. Moon light began to fill the hollows of the place once called Dwarrowdelf. Krolkhame cracked his whip. Wa-crack! His goons cowled as they awaited thier captain's orders. "Well, well, well. What have we got here? Only a handful of orcs for me to command. What ever shall we do? The dwarves are returning here in great numbers and we are powerless to stop it."

He paused and lookled over his minions. Orcs that had fought with him at the Battle of Five Armies. Orcs that hated the dwarves with every drop of blood from their black hearts. He had watched a third of his kin fall in battle and another third eaten by the eagles. Krolkhame had only a handful of soldiers at his command against a great number of dwarves coming from the north. But the odds of an attack did not bother him. All he wanted was revenge.

"We do not need numbers to defeat these mindless dwarves. We must use their own greed against them. My fellow orcs, I have a plan..."

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 9:13 PM January 02, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]

Old 01-02-2004, 07:20 PM   #26
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

randomhobbit42 - I need to talk to Aman before we can accept you but thank you for the contribution! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-02-2004, 08:08 PM   #27
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? – YES - Search for the Book, Quest for the Ainereg (co-owner), Escape from Nurn, Shadow of the Star*, Holiday in the Sun, The Hobbit's Gift, Corsets and Corsairs*
(*Did not finish because of my hiatus)

2.) How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in? None

3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? – YES - Both, and once or twice at the Seventh Star.

NAME: Óin

WEAPONS: A hand-to-hand combat axe, naturally, but he is also more than capable of using a short sword. He can use throwing axes, but he is quite short of any mastery of the weapon. At anything else, however, he is utterly inept.

APPEARANCE: A little tall for a Dwarf, Óin's dark brown beard is specked with grey. His solemn, thoughtful eyes are dark green, and his old cloak is brown. He wears a plain, stout leather belt at which his axe is hung, and is generally disinclined to wear anything that is not functional.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Óin is precise and methodical, the type who thinks things out from all angles before making a decision. He has seen what he considers enough and feels that it is his right to be a little grumpy because of it, and often indulges in brief periods of self-pity, if only in private or to his closest friends. To others he appears quiet and withdrawn. He has been called dull by a few, but perhaps cautious would be a better word: his sense of adventure a little dulled by his experiences in the Battle of Five Armies. He is reliable and loyal, as well as (usually) even-tempered, but he is not adept at making split-second decisions, and he lacks real leadership skills.

HISTORY: Óin was the son of Gróin, an important figure in the royal geneologies of the Dwarves, who could trace his ancestry to Durin. His home was a comfortable one, but he could not resist the call of Smaug's stolen gold and vengeance, and followed Thorin in his famous journey. Somewhat sobered by the events of said journey, he was proud of his accomplishments, but spoke of them little, instead keeping to himself more.

Orual's post

"Foolishness and adolescent posturing, that's what this is," Óin grumbled, shoving a faded and stained shirt into his pack. His brother, Glóin, looked on as he did so, a small smile tugging at his lips.

"If it's so foolish, then why are you packing already? Has Balin even approached you about going with him?" Glóin asked, stepping up to his brother.

Óin looked up indignantly. "It's assumed, isn't it?" he said. "Balin knows I'll have to go with him to make sure he doesn't make a fool of himself, at least more than he already has. No invitation is necessary, and I'm surprised that you even ask." He went back to packing. "You can't possibly imagine that I'd let Balin tromp off to Moria alone like some addle-brained Man off to seek glory and death, can you? War and danger we've already seen together. I'd be the fool if I didn't follow him."

Glóin did not reply, and Óin continued packing. Finally he brought out his old cloak, the very same brown cloak that he had worn to old Bilbo Baggins' house that first day. His fingers ran over the worn wool, feeling the patches and the tears he hadn't bothered to fix, and images flashed through his head of all the events that had caused the rents and stains and general raggedness of the cloak. A nostalgic smile slid unbidden onto his face, and he folded it gently, but did not pack it. He would need it.

He turned to his brother. "Besides, it's about time I go on another adventure. Makes a dwarf get soft, sitting around in safety all the time." Glóin smiled and clapped his brother on the shoulder. Óin shrugged away irritably.

"Not to say that I think it's a good idea, mind you. I'm just going along for Balin's sake."

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 10:35 PM January 06, 2004: Message edited by: Orual ]
Old 01-02-2004, 09:50 PM   #28
Gird
Animated Skeleton

Tolkien

ok, I think I will clean up my post a bit, now that I have time.

"I am Ugluk, I command."
Ugluk
Old 01-02-2004, 10:29 PM   #29
Gird
Animated Skeleton

Tolkien

Ok, I've redone my post, and am much more satisfied with the latter version. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

"I am Ugluk, I command."
Ugluk
Old 01-03-2004, 01:08 AM   #30
Melisil
Wight

Melisil has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I'm pretty excited about this, hope I get in! Anyway, here's my post:

1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? – NO

None

3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? – YES – Which one? The Green Dragon Inn

NAME: Loni Stormlegs

WEAPONS: Loni wields a shorter battle-axe as well as two small throwing axes. He is capable of fighting with a sword, as well as a spear, though he usually chooses not to use the sword, and the spear he saves for hunting most often. He is not capable of using other weapons properly.

APPEARANCE: Loni has an extremely long reddish-brown beard coming down to just past his knees. He is average in height and build. He bears strong leather armor with iron gloves. A fairly large belt falls about his middle. It carries both his throwing axes in the right hand side of it. His battle-axe is carried in a rough case on his back.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Growing up in and by the Lonely Mountain Loni knows the area well. He loves mining as well as hunting. His father, Gundin Stormlegs taught him to fight from the time he was a boy till Gundin’s death during the war of five armies; and so, has a strong love of fighting. Loni is usually pretty prejudice against non-dwarves, particularly Elves. Besides that, Loni is a Dwarf with a very good sense of humour and loves to spin a tale or hear one.

HISTORY: Loni grew up in the area of the Lonely Mountain. He never knew his mother, and he lived with his father till his death in the battle of five armies. He has grown up to four main things besides drinking, singing and storytelling. The four things were hunting, mining, fighting, and eating!

Melisil’s First Post:

Loni awoke to a sunny morning. He lived in a cabin near the bottom of the Lonely Mountain. He walked into his kitchen to grab some breakfast- a mug of ale and a chunk of cold deer meat… he was in need of more food. After breakfast he returned to his room to get ready for hunting. He pulled his leather armor in place, leaving his gloves off till last. At last he was ready. Grabbing his spear which lay by the door, he went out, ready for at least half a days worth of hunting.

He was stopped, however, by a fellow Dwarf by the name of Dwarin Strongshield. "Loni! Stop!" he called, climbing the slight hill, "Balin, son of Fundin, has sent me to ask a favor of you... for him." Dwarin started, as he reached where Loni stood waiting. "he asks that, if you’re interested, you would join him in a quest of sorts. He was particularly vague about details, especially to me, but he said that it may be rough at times, but the reward will well be worth it." Dwarin took a breath, he wasn’t one that was used to delivering messages, "He says if you’re interested, you’re to meet him near King Dain’s hall." he finished, taking a new tone of voice, "Now, how’s about you inviting me in for ale? I’ll dare say I deserve it."

"Right you are! Come on in Dwarin!" he said laughingly as they returned inside. After he had fetched the ale, and they had both had a good drink, Loni started, "So you say Balin’s the start of this quest, eh?" Loni leaned back in his chair. He wasn't very trusting to some, Balin included, "I’m not sure how wise this whole thing is, and I wish he weren’t so vague in his tellings. I guess I’ll have to go down there anyways though, to humour Balin. Still, I most likely won’t join." Loni said this casually enough, but, truth be told, he was already more then sold at the mention of a good reward. Gold and glory could drive him almost anywhere, sadly. Of course, he wouldn’t let it drive him to his death.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 7:40 PM January 09, 2004: Message edited by: Melisil ]
Old 01-03-2004, 08:31 AM   #31
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Orual - Nice, Oin's attitude to the expedition presents a rather nice spin, and the profile and first post are lovely, as ever. Imladris agrees - welcome to Last Hope for Moria.

Gird - Thankyou, that's much better. The profile is still lovely and tis version of the first post shows your wrting much better. Welcome to Moria.

Randomhobbit - Check your PMs [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] (well, in about ten minutes...)

Melisil - Nice to see you here. Nice post and profile - once more, I like the way your character's personality has come out nicely in your first post. I need to talk to Imladris before accepting you, but thanks [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-03-2004, 08:55 AM   #32
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
The Eye

Hi!

Looks like a very nice RPG. I had decided not to join any RPGs right now, but I just had to try out for this one....I mean, how can you not want to play an Orc? :P

1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? – YES, Hunt for the Dragon, C&C, Setting Sails for Valinor (Co-owned that one), Flight from Rohan and I'm currently in Breelanders all.

2.) How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in? One only.

List them, please: Breelanders All

3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? – YES, The Green Dragon (Long ago) [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

NAME: Lugnûsh

WEAPONS: Lugnûsh prefers sword in battle, but he is also good with knives.

APPEARANCE: Lugnush looks like ordinary Orcs, but he is rather tall and strong built. His face is however strongly misformed, and one eye is missing. But he has learned to live with the one eye he has. His hands are stern and large, and so are his feet. Lugnûsh has no hair and he always wears his helmet.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Lugnûsh is as most Orcs, always lurking around looking for mischief. He hates all living things and if he has the chance he kills. He doesn't cooperate very well, and he is considered to be very selfish. Lugnûsh is known for not to have any feelings what so ever, and he is very cold and hard. (Like most Orcs, really.) Lugnûsh is very sharp tongued and doesn’t take a lot of "crap" from others. He is his own master, even though he is only an Orc with a chief above him.

HISTORY: Lugnûs fought in the battles of the Five Armies. That was where his precious eye was lost. He never forgot when he lost it, and he is yearning for revenge. After the battle he followed Krolkhame back to the mountains. As they were attacked by the eagles many died, but Lugnûsh survived.

After that they came back to Moria and he has dwelt there ever since.

EDITED VERSION MOVED FROM 2ND PAGE(Edited yet again...)

Orofaniel's post

The darkness soon crept over the mines, and the cold wind made the Orcs shiver. It was always cold and goofy down there, but at night it was even worse. It was the same with the darkness; it always was quite dark, but it grew even darker as night came. The shadows came lurking as spies in the cold night, making things unpleasant for each and every one of them. Lugnûsh was standing guard at the entrance of one of the halls.

He, himself thought it was quite unnecessary to do so, since the rest of the gates were well protected. And he also thought ill of it since he didn’t believe any attack would come right now. Then again, if the chief had said that there should be guards, then he was probably right. Lugnûsh usually didn’t pay much attention to others and what they commanded him to do, because he was his own master, and he didn’t like anyone to make decisions for him. The times he was set as a guard though, he tried not to protest. He had done that once, and it hadn’t been exactly pleasant. Painful, nasty and terrifying are better words to use if you’re going to describe the awful event.

Luckily there were no other Orcs close by, and so they wouldn’t notice if he took a short nap. He seated himself against the wall, closing the one eye he still had. He soon felt asleep and didn’t take notice of the shadow that was coming closer…steadily.

“What in the name of…?”

Lugnûsh jumped in surprise over hearing the voice. He opened his eye and saw that Nazklash was standing over him with an angry look in his face. “What are you doing Lugnûsh?” Nazklash growled angrily and dragged him up. “Get up, you filthy…...and lazy, Orc!” He shouted. Lugnûsh didn’t have much time to get up on his feet.

“You should be standing guard, not sleeping!” Nazklash said again as his eyes pierced through Lugnûsh's body. “I’m sorry friend, but I do think I have to report this to the Chief.” He continued; he had now calmed down and was talking slowly.

Lugnûsh seized his arm as he turned. “I doubt you’ll do that!” He said harshly and looked Nazklash in the eyes. “You know what the chief will do with me, don’t ya?” Lugnûsh growled. Nazklash gave a short laugh.

“Aye…I do.” He said shortly and started to walk towards the door that would lead him through the hall and into a hallway. From there, there would only be some short time of walking and it would lead him directly to the Chief. “B-but…don’t you want me a-alive?” Lugnûsh asked, almost begging. Nazklash laughed again, and took a breath. “Okay then.” He said finally. “I’ll not report the lazy Lugnûsh this time then…” he said and laughed evilly while he snorted. "You dumb Orc...." He said and laughed even louder. "I wouldn't really have reported you to the chief...He's no right to be the chief anyway.." He continued. Lugnûsh didn't quite understand. He had been teasing him the whole time? Yes, he had indeed. He had never even considered the thought of reporting Lugnûsh to the Chief. "Why not?" Lugnûsh asked while he seemed awfully surprised by the very nasty joke. "Because...I was once reported to the chief and it was nasty." He growled and laughed again. Lugnûsh tried to play along, so he gave a short and rather fake laugh. he was origianlly quite annoyed with Nazklash, and what Lugnûsh thought was a very cuel joke. "I'll get him, when he least expects it..." He thought and snorted. "He'll pay."

“I’m tired,” Nazklash said a moment later. “I’m going off to sleep for a while, so get your filthy fingers off me!” He growled when he noticed that Lugnûsh still had a tight grip on his arm.

Nazklash went away while Lugnûsh remained behind. There was not going to be much rest for Lugnûsh’s one eye that night...

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 3:53 PM January 11, 2004: Message edited by: Orofaniel ]
Old 01-03-2004, 10:37 AM   #33
Mercy of the Valar

Sting

yea! i'm in! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] i'm new to the rpg forum here and i was wondering when we start the rpg itself?

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 12:53 PM January 03, 2004: Message edited by: Mercy of the Valar ]

Old 01-03-2004, 12:19 PM   #34
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Nice post, Orofaniel . I need to talk to Aman and that, but it looks very, ver good. Check your PMs, please. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Melisil - since Aman and I both like the profile and post, you're in! Welcome to Moria.

Mercy of the Valar -- As soon as all the spaces are fill up, the game will start. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 1:56 PM January 03, 2004: Message edited by: Imladris ]

Old 01-03-2004, 03:46 PM   #35
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

PLEASE EMPTY YOUR PM'S, BURZDOL

I have also sent the message to your email address.

~*~ Piosenniel, Shire Moderator

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 5:35 PM January 03, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-03-2004, 09:17 PM   #36
Saraphim
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saraphim has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saraphim
The Eye

1.) Have you Ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs?

No.

None.

3.) Have you posted in the Green Dragon or White Horse in Rohan?

Yes, the Green Dragon.

NAME: Narin

RACE: Dwarven

WEAPONS: Two short, double-sided axes, which Narin wields in each hand

APPEARANCE: Narin is average height for a dwarf, with brown hair/ beard, brown eyes. He usually wears dark green.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Narin is a very secluded person. He lives alone, and rarely makes new acquaintances. Underneath his cold exterior, Narin is actually a good, kind person.

HISTORY: Narin lived in the Iron Hills with his brother Ranir until they were both called to the aid of Thorin. In the Battle of Five Armies, Ranir died saving Dain from an attacking orc. Ever since, Narin has had intense hatred of King Dain, who never acknowledged his brother’s sacrifice. Narin is a metal smith, and works alone in his forge.

Saraphim’s post

Early in the morning, Narin awoke to the sound of a knock on the door of his home. Narin pulled himself out of bed, grumbling at his intruder, despite the fact that it was nearly time for him to wake anyway. He grumbled his way over to the door and pulled it open. In front of him stood a young Dwarf, with barely an inch of a beard.

“Yes? What is it?” Narin said with a tangible air of annoyance.

“Well, Sir,” stuttered the youth, “I was asked by the Lord Balin, sir, to deliver this message to you, sir.“ He held out a letter, which Narin took.

“Thank you, young one. But for the love of stone and mortar, next time, deliver your messages later in the morning.” Narin said, examining the envelope.

The boy bowed nervously and ran off. Narin shook his head after him and closed the door. Back in his home, He set the letter, unopened, on his table, then proceeded to wash and dress for the day. He then sat down, and over a cup of tea, read the letter.

Dear Narin,
I, Balin invite you to partake in an expedition of honor, glory, and riches. I only ask you to visit me with a band of other Dwarves near King Dain's hall. There is some travel involved, and quite a bit of fighting, and... possibly injuries on one level or another... but the reward fully compensates the trials you face. And then some! If you would please visit me at mid-day, I would be much obliged.
Cordially yours, Balin son of Fundin.

Hmmm, Thought Narin. Perhaps it is time to take a short leave from this Mountain.

The thought of riches and rewards further stimulated Narin’s thought, and before he had finished his tea, he had decided to accompany Balin on whatever hair-brained plot he might have.

Mid-day, however, was tantalizingly far away. So, to occupy his time, Narin set off to his forge, which lay deeper into the mountain. Few others were out and about, none of which Narin knew, or cared to know. He reached his forge and began to clean the place, canceling all the orders that had been made and generally preparing for a long trip.

Lastly, Narin took his axes from the wall. One was his, and one had been his brother’s.

He hooked his onto his belt, but looked at the runes of the other, which spelled out his brother’s name.

“Whatever mischief Balin gets me into, You’ll be in it with me, Ranir.” He said, hooking it onto his belt as well.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 1:01 PM January 04, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-04-2004, 05:58 AM   #37
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Saraphim - I need to wait for Imladris, but I like that profile, and again, your character is one with a rather interesting spin. Check your PMs please [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Pio - Thankyou for posting the list.

Orofaniel - Due to a crossing and mix-up of PMs and emails, I can't say whether you are accepted or not yet, but a very nice profile - you've captured your character nicely it seems *shudders* [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

A Note to all prospective players on first posts: try not to rely too heavily on another character in your first post and profile unless they are definitely accepted or of your own device. Thankyou [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

(This is not, of course, meant to be in any way insulting to present players)
Old 01-04-2004, 06:45 AM   #38
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Sting

Quote:
Orofaniel - Due to a crossing and mix-up of PMs and emails, I can't say whether you are accepted or not yet, but a very nice profile - you've captured your character nicely it seems *shudders*

A Note to all prospective players on first posts: try not to rely too heavily on another character in your first post and profile unless they are definitely accepted or of your own device. Thankyou
Yeah, I know.

I'm working on a new post now. Heh... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Sorry for all the trouble.
Old 01-04-2004, 12:21 PM   #39
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Sting

No trouble, sweetie [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

To whom it may concern: If you do not reply when Imladris or myself send you PMs with suggestions or advice, you cannot be fully accepted to the game. This is not meant aggressively, but if you could reply to the PMs: if you do not wish to take the suggestions and justify this, thats fine, but please do reply [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Thankyou.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:47 PM   #40
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

No one may play in a Game in the Shire who has not previously posted in the Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan.