The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-07-2008, 11:06 AM   #41
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Rune, I understand what you meant. Thanks for clarifying.

Quote:
I am not sure, but did you notice that she accused practically everyone? (Well, you did.) And I don't think it was serious at all. Quite obviously. Or was it? But in the case it wasn't, what "decent fodder for later" it may be?
Lommy's list may mean absolutely nothing since it was obviously getting the ball rolling, but then again I see no reason to discount that it could come in handy later on in the game. Of course it could be forgotten later as nothing more than jargon from Day 1.

Who hasn't appeared yet? Kath, Diamond, Groin? And before long I'm going to have to vote.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:08 AM   #42
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Standing out:

Thinlómien - despite the fact of being completely silli at times, and her generally "playful" attitude (which could be, with Mith, called "cobblerish"), there is nothing truly suspicious on her. This far. Although I am a little wary - rather waiting how things turn out later, though.

Kitanna - not sure about her comment I questioned above, but that's rather a matter of question than anything to judge her innocence/wolvery (resp. wrong-wargery). Unless she made some slip and when questioned, she retreated.

Nogrod - looks like our "classic" Nogrod, which is good. Has some, albeit little biting remarks, hmm, maybe too unconflicting for Nogrod on Day 1. But this whole day is quite unusual, so... this far nothing special.

Mithalwen - except for her Lommy-cobbler theory (and her proposal of the Great Cobbler Paradigm in general), nothing special - however that's still quite good for Day 1. This far, seeming genuinely Mith-y to me.

Brinniel - being maybe "too nice", resp. "too un-conflicty", however this goes hand in hand with "too quiet because of RL". So I am not going to make any judgements here yet. Only a note, by "un-conflicty" I don't refer to her refusal to vote, but to her overall "un-conflicty" pose, where even though she discourages digging in the prophecy, she doesn't say anything much about anyone.

Rune Son of Bjarne - looks reasonable this far. Maybe somewhat more reasonable than usual, in the feeling I get from him, but for now, I have no reasons to suspect him.

Not standing out, because all they said concerned the prophecy and/or other neutral topics (like whether they are here or not):

Gwathagor
Shastanis Althreduin
SamwiseGamgee
Gollum The Great
Gaunt
fit more or less into the cathegory about whom I can't say neither A nor B. (Nor C, for that matter.)

Standing outside, because they are not here at all:

Kath
Diamond
Groin Redbeard

About these, I can't say even D.

EDIT: x-ed since my last post.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:14 AM   #43
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Stating ht obvious

So to develop:

Assuming there are a second pair of traitors, they are various options.

Preselected aware of destiny - may seem cobblerish or keep low profile since need to survive to day three to take effect.

Preselected unaware of destiny "cursed" - will seem as ordos til day three. Will then have to try not to noticeably change behaviour but acting natural is much harder than being natural...

Not preselected - less likely but not without precedent - in the wereducks game the first kill choice became a wolf but it was first thought to be a ranger save. Tricksy. Could be less obvious dependent on posting or voting order or random. Therefore pointless to waste much time on speculation. More something to consider should noone die in the night.

Really only option one is going to give clues at this stage.

There are of course no doubt other possibilties which haven't occured to me...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:18 AM   #44
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
*googles paradigm*

Oh.... *may have to vote legate for using words I don't understand and can't spell *

Old 10-07-2008, 11:23 AM   #45
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

++Lommie Just too odd and no more time

Old 10-07-2008, 11:33 AM   #46
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
All right, a reaction to the few posts that happened to appear meanwhile (I hope not too many appear while I am posting this).

Samwise immediately fled high on my suspicion list.

First, he keeps being nice to people, while at the same time accusing-ish at the same time.
Second, vote for Brinniel is definitely "safe". I know he wasn't playing probably for a long time, so it may be a habit which used to be more common in his times, but still, these grounds for voting somebody are actually even more "safe" than Brinn's non-vote itself. Do you get what I mean?

Besides that, he mentions several times that "we should abandon the prophecy and focus on our main problem", right this is, but the way he keeps repeating it just asks for questioning it (hm, an interesting formulation). First I wanted to quote only his remark on me:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamwiseGamgee View Post
Legate: my inclination is to think that, whilst unwise, the 'thinking out loud' approach is fairly innocent. Although there's a lot of stuff to sieve through, I can say that I have been helped by some of his thoughts relating to the prophecy. However, the fact that he's dwelling so much on the prophecy makes me a little bit uncomfortable- I really think we should be getting down to the job we innocents have of rooting out the taint of evil in our midst.
With a mere comment of "I always ask people who say this, what would they post in my place which would be so wonderfully 'getting down to the job'". But then, when he mentioned this "let's get to the job" also further, and not just with me, I kind of started to think about it more - is he repeating that all over again out of honest concern, or because he "shields himself" this way? Somehow, it's harder to imagine for me that it is a honest concern.

(Besides that, what I quoted is a good example of what I said about being nice to people and yet accusing-ish at the same time: and he's like that with more or less everyone; a good wolfy attitude, to have open door for nice friendship with the person but at the same time have grounds prepared for sending that person to lynch if the general opinion turns against that person.)

This is also a nice example of something that alarms me:
Quote:
Gwath: agrees with me in her second post, but has misunderstood what I said. I tend to think this probably makes her innocent, as it would seem to indicate a genuine will to solve the prophecy, rather than just stroke my ego.
Again, nice, yet... just, so easy to make "her" innocent

Quote:
Kit: has her reservations about me, which is fine- so do I!- but seems keen to move us on from the prophecy. I agree on that point, and because I do and I know I'm an innocent I think she probably is too.
And this the same, the reasoning "we share opinons so we are in the same camp" is one of the fishiest I've ever seen. Although of course, it may be the view of a naive innocent... but for some reason, I don't think SW that naive. (Although I don't know anything about his experiences in WW, he made the impact on me that he already must have something behind himself. So why so naive?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitanna View Post
Lommy's list may mean absolutely nothing since it was obviously getting the ball rolling, but then again I see no reason to discount that it could come in handy later on in the game. Of course it could be forgotten later as nothing more than jargon from Day 1.
Okay, I think I got that now and I think I understand you. In that case, it's a mere comment and no need to bother with it anymore. Okay. Dismissed.

EDIT: x-ed with two Miths
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 10-07-2008, 11:36 AM   #47
Gollum the Great
Shade of Carn Dűm

Gollum the Great has just left Hobbiton.
I'm feeling somewhat non-talkative, so I will merely post my concerns:

Legate: Fishy. During what time I have been here in the Downs, I got the impression he was one of those "all brain" guys and wrote long, very intelligent posts. His posts here have been long, but the content has taken a sort of rambling touch to them, and I wonder if it's safe to come near him.

Lommy: Weird posts and I don't trust her. Not exactly evading the issue, but acting queerly.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:57 AM   #48
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum the Great View Post
Legate: Fishy. During what time I have been here in the Downs, I got the impression he was one of those "all brain" guys and wrote long, very intelligent posts. His posts here have been long, but the content has taken a sort of rambling touch to them, and I wonder if it's safe to come near him.
Just wait a few days, Gollum There was really nothing much specific to analyse yet on the first Day. (Well, besides the prophecy... )
Old 10-07-2008, 12:31 PM   #49
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Sorry, Mith, I'm not a cobbler - even though I'd love to be. *hint hint future mods*

*sigh* I wasn't (entirely) serious with that list of mine. I wanted to get discussion rolling and I thought it would also maybe do good to me to force myself to see evil in everybody: it's often so very difficult to see suspiciousness anywhere early on. I didn't really suspect anyone that early, nor do I actually suspect anyone now. Of what I said, there are maybe two things worth taking seriously: my initial bad gut feeling about Samwise and the fact that it's usual and possibly also Rune's eagerness to agree with my interpretation of the rules. However, I would not really use this as an evidence against Rune, especially as he seems rather innocent in total. And in case Nogrod needs clarification about what I said about this game being simple, it is like Rune says - I forgot, or rather, was quite unsure with all those different statements by Eomer and that simplicity-statement was the one that had left the strongest impression on me...

I know I said I was instinctively a little suspicious of Samwise, but I think his long list post looks pretty innocentish, it's the tone of it. I think he says interesting stuff, too, and I don't think his vote on Brinn is too bad, even as it's rather safe. I mean, some of the stuff that Brinn said about her absence made me too raise my eyebrows a little.

I think both our newbies (Gaunt and Gollum) look pretty innocent this far. Not too fishy or jumpy, as newbie wolves often are. Though it's too early to judge, of course.

I think everybody's been pretty nice to each other and there has been little suspicion even for a Day1. I don't think I like it. The only one who has been really suspected is Kitanna. Although she is a little fishy (I didn't like what she said about Gwath, Samwise and Gollum), this little fact makes me disinclined to vote her. I think we'll learn more if she stays alive.

Where are Groin, Kath and Di?
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:34 PM   #50
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
They are showing the film Der Untergang in Finnish television and I had to wrestle myself away from the telly as it would have lasted until something like an hour before the deadline (well, I've seen it once anyway).

Addicted to this game?

Okay, just a few short remarks to begin with.

Gollum: the way you decide to suspect those who have talked the most is generally counter-productive for the village but useful for the wolves. I'm not going to suspect you for it toDay as I think this is your first game (was I right?). But think of it yet again. If we lynch all the talkers on the first Days (and wolves kill the rest during the first Nights) we'll have a village where there is no game - as no one talks - and the wolves are free to roam.

It's true that in a few last games people have paid heed to this with variting success, but as it seems like in this one some of the old bad habits are coming forwards once again I thought of making a point of it.

So it's easy to point out something a talkative player has done but being talkative is a different category than that of being a wolf. The categories may overlap every once in a while to be sure but in many cases they don't. What is clear is that one (being talkative) doesn't as such imply the other (being a wolf).

One thing that makes me wonder about master Samwise is the way he answered my pretty light suspicion of him making a bit too pre-empting or overdone reservations ("at the risk of becoming prominent") in his post which only speculated with the roles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
Odd that I was worried I'd be picked up for an early post with too much content and then the exact opposite happens. That, dear Nogrod, worries me.
Too much content? THe exact opposite of what? I somehow can't get myself to understand what he means here. Maybe I'm just missing something?

That makes me wonder... but that's not the same thing as suspect him heavily. I think Legate had some good points on his posting nice but still leaving space to strike from behind the niceties - and the vote sure is the safest there is. But still I'm afraid he might be just the easy lynch for toDay which seldomly benefits the village with a score of bagging a wolf (well it does sometimes as some people with even bad memory might remember ).

EDIT: X'd with Lommy
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:34 PM   #51
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Standing out:
Rune Son of Bjarne - looks reasonable this far. Maybe somewhat more reasonable than usual, in the feeling I get from him, but for now, I have no reasons to suspect him.
Hey! I am always resonable. . .at least I think so.

I am suprised that you guys can say so much about so little, I know I am strugeling to find stuff to say about people.

Anyways, I understand what Legate is saying about Samwise, it has been seen before that vauge acusations followed up by nice words has been the tactic of chois. From what I have seen, I belive that Samwise is a crafty player no matter what side he is on. . . I think he is hard to judge and I would like him to stick around for another day, so I will not vote for him today.

Gollum:You should change your avy. . . I constantly think EVIL whenever I see your posts.

Brinniel: It is hard to say if her non-vote is because she is innocent and have that "I am going to do what I want atitude" or it is because she is evil.
I think we have all tried doing something that we knew would seem suspicous in the eyes of others, but went ahead and did it anyway.
Still I think it is very annoying that she did not vote. . .

Mithalwen: She has been active and said stuff, yet it is as if she has said nothing. . . I atleast get nothing from reading her posts. Had this been day 2 or 3 I would be sure it was because she was trying to hide in the open, but it is day 1 and that complicates things. I think I might vote for her today, but I am not sure yet.

EDIT: Cross Posted With Lommy & Nogrod

Last edited by Rune Son of Bjarne; 10-07-2008 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Cross Posting
Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:44 PM   #52
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Eep, hello, Day 1 blues again here ... well, as in I forgot it was starting. To be honest I don't have any time to post now as we're about to go watch a film. If the deadline is 10pm I should be able to get back, make a quick post and vote. If I miss it I can only apologise, I'm writing this on the go as it is!
Old 10-07-2008, 12:49 PM   #53
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Gollum: the way you decide to suspect those who have talked the most is generally counter-productive for the village but useful for the wolves. I'm not going to suspect you for it toDay as I think this is your first game (was I right?). But think of it yet again. If we lynch all the talkers on the first Days (and wolves kill the rest during the first Nights) we'll have a village where there is no game - as no one talks - and the wolves are free to roam.

It's true that in a few last games people have paid heed to this with variting success, but as it seems like in this one some of the old bad habits are coming forwards once again I thought of making a point of it.

So it's easy to point out something a talkative player has done but being talkative is a different category than that of being a wolf. The categories may overlap every once in a while to be sure but in many cases they don't. What is clear is that one (being talkative) doesn't as such imply the other (being a wolf).
Oh Noggie, do we really have to go through this again?
Of course it is counter-productive to suspect people only because they are vocal, but it is the same if you suspect people for being less vocal than others.
Really you used a lot of space on stating the obvious. . .

EDIT: Cross Posted With Kath

Last edited by Rune Son of Bjarne; 10-07-2008 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Cross Posted
Old 10-07-2008, 12:59 PM   #54
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Nice to see Kathie around, even if for the traditional "Im here" post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
Oh Noggie, do we really have to go through this again?
Of course it is counter-productive to suspect people only because they are vocal, but it is the same if you suspect people for being less vocal than others.
I wouldn't take it too seriously, Rune. You know, he is a teacher in RL, so he must have an instinct to explain stuff to people if he assumes they don't know it. (He even has a bad habit of considering people more stupid than they are: often, when he explains something, he starts with making sure I know what some obvious thing is... )

Last edited by Thinlómien; 10-07-2008 at 01:00 PM. Reason: bolded Kath's name
Old 10-07-2008, 01:01 PM   #55
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
*sigh* I wasn't (entirely) serious with that list of mine.
Good to hear that Lommy. I mean that was the impression I got from there and wondered what had come into you. And btw. my reason to ask you about the "relative simplicity" of the game was because you used it as a reason to suspect Gwath!

But your first post still is a weird one. It's like you try to be Fea or something and trying "to pose in borrowed feathers" (another Finnish idiom) is always a bit eyebrow-raising in a game of WW...
Old 10-07-2008, 01:02 PM   #56
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Nice, some more posting going on...

Hmm... a few notes. Lommy: Makes me somewhat more aware than before, it's hard to define it, but simply put, I could say that I got the feeling from her post whether the intention with which she wrote her first summary back then was not different originally and now she only re-interpretated it in the light of what we others said about it. Also, she seems in any case to incline to suspect everybody - just for an example, this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
I think both our newbies (Gaunt and Gollum) look pretty innocent this far. Not too fishy or jumpy, as newbie wolves often are. Though it's too early to judge, of course.
I find it a little eyebrow-raising, just because I would not expect that conclusion. It's in the spirit of her first post, which I thought jok-y, because it's unusual (at least I don't recall her acting like that before, anyway) - "1+1=2, therefore a wolf." "2+2=4, therefore a wolf." She seems to look on everything from the worst possible perspective, which does not fit to her for me.

Also, Lommy seems to me intentionally going somewhat against the flow (like: "Kitanna is suspected, but I won't vote her"). Maybe really Mith's cobbler-theory has something in it...?

Quote:
If we lynch all the talkers on the first Days (and wolves kill the rest during the first Nights) we'll have a village where there is no game - as no one talks - and the wolves are free to roam.
Oh no, not again...

Quote:
Hey! I am always resonable. . .at least I think so.
Yes, actually I think so too! But I said: more than usual. But maybe I am just more attentive of it.

Quote:
Brinniel: It is hard to say if her non-vote is because she is innocent and have that "I am going to do what I want atitude" or it is because she is evil.
I think we have all tried doing something that we knew would seem suspicous in the eyes of others, but went ahead and did it anyway.
Still I think it is very annoying that she did not vote. . .
Yes, that's a problem, but I say: okay, now she says she simply doesn't have time etc. and won't vote, all right then. But then let's see what she behaves like tomorrow!

EDIT: x-ed with Kath and those after her
Old 10-07-2008, 01:07 PM   #57
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamGam
Brinniel: I don't like non-votiung on day one one little bit for the following reasons: it puts the innocents in the awkward position of not being able to see someone's thinking, and it also gives the evil deserters amongst us an option to cast the seeds of doubt. (That's in no way personal, Brin, it's just the way I see it as a player).
Quote:
**Brinniel**

I just don't want her alive tomorrow and for us to spend a day thinking: 'Did the enemies leave her alive, or is she an enemy herself?' My approach, while brutal, is necessary: get rid of the doubt. And I am most suspicious of her, so I'm going to sleep fine!
I don't know how I feel about that vote. Though many have and will find Brinn's non-vote reason for doubt and anxiety, I'm wondering if SamGam wasn't too swift to take that route. Obviously he said he'd be gone the rest of the day and so he was left with little other choice but to vote then or not at all. Brinn wasn't the only one he suspected, but she managed his vote. And what proof does SamGam have the enemies will leave her alive? And also there were (and still are) a few who had yet to post and keeping them alive could be just as bad as keeping Brinn alive, non-talkers, no trails, all that fun to sort through. So why was Brinn's unproductiveness so much more important than anyone else's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
Second, vote for Brinniel is definitely "safe".
But that vote is sure to raise eyebrows and SamGam must have known he'd be under scrutiny for such a rash choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum
Lommy: Weird posts and I don't trust her. Not exactly evading the issue, but acting queerly.
How so?

All in all SamGam jumps out, but I'm left wondering if it's just an irresponsible first day vote and he was out of time and needed someone, anyone to vote for. Or, as Legate pointed out, it was a safe vote because he figured no one else would vote for Brinn.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:12 PM   #58
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
You know, he is a teacher in RL, so he must have an instinct to explain stuff to people if he assumes they don't know it. (He even has a bad habit of considering people more stupid than they are: often, when he explains something, he starts with making sure I know what some obvious thing is... )
HaHa! Just a precaution. You'd be astonished to find out how many obvious things are just soo alien-stuff for many people these days... and not all players in this game are veterans. Like Gollum to whom I addressed the point.

But yes, I'm not in anyway wishing to continue that discussion we've seen a million times even if it might be the first time for some. Remember that Rune.

But... to add something of more value to this post as well... I'd be inclined to look at people who wish to make a number out of this as people who should be watched more carefully.

About Brinn as well. Didn't she say she was gambling with her chances to get online in the end? So let's not judge her as a non-voter before she actually is one. I have found her more innocent than not this far - and maybe I'm lured by her nice way of putting things and her protesting to the RL. But somehow I just don't see her protesting to the RL in that manner were she a wolf who had no chances of getting the vote in. I mean she would have voted were she a wolf just not to raise too many eyebrows...
Old 10-07-2008, 01:25 PM   #59
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Nice, some more posting going on...

Hmm... a few notes. Lommy: Makes me somewhat more aware than before, it's hard to define it, but simply put, I could say that I got the feeling from her post whether the intention with which she wrote her first summary back then was not different originally and now she only re-interpretated it in the light of what we others said about it. Also, she seems in any case to incline to suspect everybody - just for an example, this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
I find it a little eyebrow-raising, just because I would not expect that conclusion. It's in the spirit of her first post, which I thought jok-y, because it's unusual (at least I don't recall her acting like that before, anyway) - "1+1=2, therefore a wolf." "2+2=4, therefore a wolf." She seems to look on everything from the worst possible perspective, which does not fit to her for me.
What? You suspect me for seeing everything in suspicious light and use as an example a quote where I say two players seem rather innocentish? And I really have no idea where did that point of yours originate from in the first place, unless it was from the accusation-throwing post (which wasn't serious, like I said), because if you look at it, I don't really suspect anyone very much at the moment, I think I was far more talking about people's possible innocence in my last post. I'm getting slightly worried, or then I'm just baffled...
Old 10-07-2008, 01:30 PM   #60
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

A few words about the less seen ones...

Kath: OMG. How many times in a row does that woman get through Day1 with only posting at the last hours: "ohh, I almost forgot, have no time, see ya toMorrow"? It's no reason to suspect her of wolvery to be sure but this is becoming a habit with her. A habit that makes playing Day1 pretty annoying with her. How about we all took such an approach to Day1's and just counted on the fact that they won't lynch me because of that whatever one's role is? Surely no one wishes to get lynched on Day1 before the "real game" begins.

Shasta: A weird oneliner (in rhyme?) and a oneliner suggestion concerning the roles. So no role, no interest to play? Or is he planning to take his - permittedly deserved - revenge now?

Gaunt: one post specualating the set-up. I'd say we shgould give him the benefit of doubt toDay but we should require him to actually take part toMorrow.

Di & Groin? Who? Are they playing?
Old 10-07-2008, 01:32 PM   #61
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
What? You suspect me for seeing everything in suspicious light and use as an example a quote where I say two players seem rather innocentish? And I really have no idea where did that point of yours originate from in the first place, unless it was from the accusation-throwing post (which wasn't serious, like I said), because if you look at it, I don't really suspect anyone very much at the moment, I think I was far more talking about people's possible innocence in my last post. I'm getting slightly worried, or then I'm just baffled...
Blast. I am getting blind. Okay, I take it back. I read it as "Gaunt and Gollum... AS NEWBIE WOLVES", because you said something similar in the first post of yours (about newbie wolves being likely around here), so I thought you are continuing around the same lines. Okay, okay, horrible actually. Anyway, to the second thing you said, yes, I was referring to your very first post... because you did not seem to be so sure whether it was all a joke or not, resp. you seemed more unsure about it being joke than I have expected (now talking about the parts you did not specifically mention as having a grain of serious suspicion or whatever in it).

EDIT: x-ed with Nog.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:33 PM   #62
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Hahaha, Nogrod is getting heated with silent people... I missed this aspect of ww! On a more serious note, though, I too think some people should post more...

edit: xed with Legate
Old 10-07-2008, 01:40 PM   #63
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Anyway, to the second thing you said, yes, I was referring to your very first post... because you did not seem to be so sure whether it was all a joke or not, resp. you seemed more unsure about it being joke than I have expected (now talking about the parts you did not specifically mention as having a grain of serious suspicion or whatever in it).
Okay, people, one more clarification: I was not seriously suspecting anyone in my accusation-throwing post. I was just trying to provoke reactions/discussion and also see if anyone could be seen as suspicious because no one seemed so to me. Thus, the points are valid notions in principle, but they hardly have any value, and I do not suspect anyone based on them or "stand behind" those points, except the two I singled out later. (If it's this complicated, I'll never again try suspicion-throwing as a discussion-creator... *deep sigh* Well, if we're lucky, maybe we can even learn something from all this mess. Maybe.)

Last edited by Thinlómien; 10-07-2008 at 01:41 PM. Reason: removed a "(" and added the words "in principle" to make my meaning clearer
Old 10-07-2008, 01:42 PM   #64
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Heated? : cool :

But look at this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by the post count (the mod removed)
Legate of Amon Lanc 10
Thinlómien 9
Nogrod 8
Mithalwen 6
Kitanna 6
Rune Son of Bjarne 6

Gwathagor 3
Gollum the Great 2
Shastanis Althreduin 2
SamwiseGamgee 2
Brinniel 2
Kath 1
Gaunt 1
I'm inclined to say I'd pick my vote from the last seven + the non-posters. I mean this is the quietest Day1 in ages!
Old 10-07-2008, 02:00 PM   #65
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
I'm inclined to say I'd pick my vote from the last seven + the non-posters. I mean this is the quietest Day1 in ages!
True. I was at first about to say "Yes, I'm gonna to do that as well! Let's make this an example! Down with traitors!". But then I could not not add (hmph ): But what if the wolves are only among the vocal players? (Noooo! I have started it again. Sorry. )

But nah, I think I am most inclined to vote Samwise now. Otherwise, I would have to vote for somebody who really hasn't posted AT ALL, which... well... hmph. We can save that for Day 2... then we will have about half dozen a people from whom to pick on Day 2 just because of this reason
Old 10-07-2008, 02:00 PM   #66
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

A sudden silence...

edit: xed with Legate - great, now I'm laughing at myself
Old 10-07-2008, 02:06 PM   #67
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Feeling innocentish by their posting:
Mith
Kitanna*
Gwath
Brinniel

No idea by posting (somehow innocentish - somehow suspicious) but are actually playing: one can be assured they can be read for and not just be guessed at in the later Days as they talk:
Legate
Lommy
Rune

Not posted too much but new to the game (benefit of doubt on Day1)
Gollum the Great
Gaunt

That leaves the non-posters so far, I don't think neither would try to get through Day1 as a villain by consciously not-posting - even if I don't like them being away either. Come forwards you two!
Diamond
Groin

So?:
Shastanis Althreduin
SamwiseGamgee
Kath

Somehow I'm not too happy with the outcome of this cross-tables... It looks too easy.

*I still don't like Kitanna's post #28 and her answering-post #35 leaves unanswered the suspicion of her trying to help with the "easy lynch" (piling Sam, Gwath & Gollum), but everything she has done after that looks very considerate and thoughtful and has very much tuned down my suspicions of her - unless she is in cahoots with either Legate or Samvais... but for Day1 that looks like a bit too far-fetched.

EDIT: X'd with LEgate and Lommy
Old 10-07-2008, 02:06 PM   #68
Kitanna
Child of the West

I have to vote and I have to do so now. The only person who has really raised my eyebrow in the last few hours is SamGam. The thing is I don't believe that vote was safe one because it was so reckless. I don't feel SamGam is particularly guilty due to that Brinn vote and I'd like to see more before casting any real suspicion his way.

I'm not a fan of random voting, but I usually find myself doing it on Day 1 either way. I'll probably pull a name from a hat and cast my vote that way seeing as there isn't a whole lot to look at that could sway me to vote for anyone based on reasoning and what have you.

cross posted with Nogrod:
Quote:
*I still don't like Kitanna's post #28 and her answering-post #35 leaves unanswered the suspicion of her trying to help with the "easy lynch" (piling Sam, Gwath & Gollum)
I wasn't looking for an easy lynch. In fact I had/have no intention of trying to get any one of them lynched (today at least). I was just looking at them since those three were following Legate's example of piecing together the prophecy, but not providing much else.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:13 PM   #69
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Btw. Eomer, if you're around, would you confirm the votes this far as they have been made in a pretty un-orthodox way? (I mean a tight mod would say they both are invalid as they are not on a separate line, bolded and with two pluses in front of the name)

So is this right?

Samwise -> Brinn
Mith -> Lommy
Old 10-07-2008, 02:18 PM   #70
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

And a second question to Eomer. Do we have more like 20+ minutes or 42 minutes left now at the stamp of this post?
Old 10-07-2008, 02:27 PM   #71
Kitanna
Child of the West

Quote:
And a second question to Eomer. Do we have more like 20+ minutes or 42 minutes left now at the stamp of this post?
Either way the vote count is dismal considering how late in Day 1 it is.

++ Kath
I made a list of the names, closed my eyes, pointed and my finger landed on Kath.

Tomorrow I'd like to see something more on Day 2. This has been an eerily quiet day.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:28 PM   #72
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Okay. Let's sum this up.

I am not going to vote Brinniel, as I belive her explanation was genuine and hope that she'll be present tomorrow. I am not going to vote Rune, I am not going to vote neither Nogrod nor Mithalwen for I have no reason to. I am not going to vote Lommy nor Kitanna, because I don't have any particularly strong case against them. I am not going to vote the newbie Gollum on his first day, and how is that with Gaunt? But probably not as well. I won't vote these non-present ones, as they may still come at least tomorrow and explain what's been going on. Similarly with Kath... and this leaving Gwath, Shasta and Samwise, I probably won't go for Shasta with hope to see the "Shasta awakened" again, as I heard about him... and now I could vote Gwathagor, but that would be more of a "punishment" (being around the whole day and hardly posting), while I do have actual grounds for voting Samwise. As for what I said earlier, this is most probable how it's going to be.

In either case, I don't see it appropriate for any of those voted for already as being lynched now.

EDIT: x-ed with Kitanna
Old 10-07-2008, 02:32 PM   #73
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Since I am also a bit confused regarding the DL, I am going to try to vote within the next couple of minutes, just to be safe.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:34 PM   #74
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

The votes are fine, Nogrod. I don't mind that they aren't on a separate line or anything like that.

There are fewer than ten minutes left.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:35 PM   #75
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Hmmm... I reread the thread and I don't really suspect anyone enough that I would be comfortable with voting them. That's why I'd feel the most comfortable with voting someone who has contributed only a little. I would pardon Brinn and Kath for RL reasons, and Gaunt for newbieishness. Diamond and Groin haven't probably realised this game is going on - even though I did see Groin in "who's online" an hour or two ago and sent him a PM that he should be invisible as the game has started... but yes, I'd "pardon" them too. That kind of leaves Shasta...

edit: xed with Gwath (yay he's back!) and Eomer
Old 10-07-2008, 02:36 PM   #76
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Just a minute!

An idea just occured to me I wished to share before the Day is over.

Now Eomer said this:
Quote:
Ok, so this game will be a little bit experimental. I, of course, hope it goes swimmingly, but I will beg your forgiveness if it goes wrong. Here's hoping all's well, eh?
So it doesn't mean this game is "a little bit experimental" but a lot so!

Now what could it be?

Unleashing three to four teams of two (one each Night) upon a village would be a bit too rough for any village to bear. Even if the last one (the fourth) would be a super-good hero...

But how about we have two lovers brought forwards every Night? "They come in pairs".... Yes, he said on the Night1 post:
Quote:
The two enemies of Wargs may talk and scheme
But an innocent lover might be called that as lovers would be allowed to talk and scheme and the innocent lover's interests would not be that of the Wargs in general...

Three (or four) competing lovers would feel like a possibly balanced game - something one might make the comments Eomer made "hoping all's well, eh?"

Somehow I get the feeling that's something Eomer might be trying.

Sadly there seems to be not enough people around to vote either Lommy or Legate to get rid of the first pair...

And this might be a bit far-fetched to be sure. But don't forget the idea!
Old 10-07-2008, 02:36 PM   #77
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Alright nothing is happening and I doubt anything special is going to happen before deadline (whenever that maybe) so I am just going to vote and as a true day 1 vote it is going to have a foundation of sand.

++Mithalwen

This vote is based on the fact that she has posted, but in a rather anomynous way, it is like somethin is not quite right. It is that feeling of somebody trying to fly under the radar. . .raindeer or whatever.
To be fair though I cannot remember how Mith normally play and it is day one so nobody have much to say. (some just use alot of space anyway)

Edit: Cross Posted With Gwathagor and Everybody Since

Last edited by Rune Son of Bjarne; 10-07-2008 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Cross Posting
Old 10-07-2008, 02:36 PM   #78
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Haha! Ah Nog you make me laugh. At least I'm only annoying to you on Day 1, you manage it the whole game. It is a habit with me to miss Day 1's - perhaps I should hire someone to phone me and remind me! Anyway, I did apologise and look! I made it back in time ... just. Very quick look at what's been going on and then a vote methinks.

Legate - begins with a parody on Day 1 style posting. A lot of analysis on the narration. Now, if there are all this different wolf teams this analysis could come just as easily from a wolf desperate to find out what's going on.

Lommy - 'if we're extra smart and lucky we can win this game easily' ... after explaining the perils of 4 wolves! Strikes me as a little optimistic given the available information. Lommy is being pretty enigmatic actually.

Rune - says different Gifted ideas would be a surprise in this game, I doubt it somehow!

Gollum - hmm.

Shasta - popping in post.

Samwise - not sure what he meant in his first post. That he was the first to post or that he was posting without a chance to later reply to anything?

Gwath - some interesting reasoning about the narration.

Kitanna - seems a bit time limited.

Brinn - I get this not wanting every detail analysed in the narration, it gets just too confusing!

Eek, my computer gives me one minute to vote and I'm not even through page 1 here, so I'm going to have to vote from where I've got to. The only person I read a post from and couldn't really get a lot out of was (hence the 'hmm):

++GOLLUM
Old 10-07-2008, 02:38 PM   #79
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Ah the silliness I hate to vote him like this, but...

++Shasta

edit: xed with Kath
Old 10-07-2008, 02:38 PM   #80
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Huh, having just looked at when Eomer posted saying there were 10 minutes left and the timestamp on my post it seems I had more time. Sorry for the rushed nature of that post then.