User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2002, 11:10 AM   #121
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Birdland was bairly able to relize what was happening before Child had her in her arms.

"Oh Birdie! Your alright!" Cried Child.
"Yes, yes I am but you don't have to choke be to prove it." she replyed. Giggling, Child set down the bird and Birdie transformed back into her regular ME form.

Meanwhile Rose had caught site of Child's notice. She didn't like the thought of living in the Undieing Lands forever.

"Well," She said to herself." I havn't shown signs........yet."
Old 06-09-2002, 11:19 AM   #122
Rosseiliantiel
Wight

Rosseiliantiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

meanwhile
Rosseiliantiel's sleep was disturbed by a sudden commotion on deck. She poked her head up from her bed of sails and looked around.
The first thing she saw was Birdland and the 'little dragon'. Then she saw a tall, blonde elf whom she recognized as Legolas, who had an odd expression on his face.
Having a characteristic distrust of Royals, systems and all things official, she ducked back into the pile of sails. Then she snuck off to find Celeaewen. However, she was distracted on her way by a washbasin. Seeing in its reflectioin that her hair was tangled and she had dirt on her face, she quickly washed her hands, face, and hair, which she hastily combed with her fingers, before she continued looking for Celeae.
She found a sleepy looking Celeae on the far side of the deck. Celeae was staring astonishedly at Legolas.
"Celeae! Over here! Are you all right?" Rosseil cried happily, forgetting momentarily that she wanted to be quiet and unnoticed.
"Rosseil! I was beggining to wonder wether you had made it on, I couldn't find you. Why is Legolas on here?" Rosseil looked confounded.
"No idea. But what happened to Bird, is she okay? Why is the little dragon over there? I'm confused..."
"Rosseil, you're always confused. But anyways it seems that Legolas shot Birdland."
"WHAT? SHOT? AI! Is she...alive? Why shot? Huh?"
"Angara seems to be helping her. But I really have no idea why he shot her."
"Um, I think we should find out. I think. Maybe I'll just go back to bed? No, I'm not tired anymore. We had might as well go over there..."
And they joined the mystified crowd around Birdland.
Old 06-09-2002, 12:49 PM   #123
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Legolas apologized profusely to Birdland and explained that he had not realized she was unaware of Sam's dire plight.

"I thought you were coming to attack Samwise, especially after that dangerous joke you made. Of course, fair lady, you did not know of Sam's condition.

Child stepped forward and made a general anouncement. "All Elves on board, or anyone with Elvish blood, should check the notice that is now posted on the masthead. Anyone, and I mean anyone, who experiences symptoms of this nature should immediately check in with me. I am keeping a notebook of all Elves who experience intense longing for the West. You will be advised to seek treatment for your maladies."

Legolas was staring at Child with incredulity in his eyes. Then he laughed and shrugged his shoulders. He went up to Child and poked her in the ribs, an unusual gesture of familiarity from one of his kind and rank, "Lady Hobbit, fair one, let me remind you. You can't fight Mother Nature!! And before you go throwing around posters of this kind, I would advise you to check your own family tree."

Child turned, "What do you mean? Check my own family tree? "

Legolas smiled, "You are, are you not, a Fallohide?"

She replied" "Of course, I am a Fallohide of good hobbit stock, very practical and sturdy. None of this Elf nonsense."

Legolas continued: "Do not be so sure. If you shake the Fallohide tree very hard, I think you may find a small silvan Elf fall out."

"That's ridiculous," growled Child, suddenly feeling much less certain of herself.

"Perhaps," said Legolas, "You may or may not feel the pull of these things. I cannot say, but sometimes she who denies loudest has the furthest to fall."

"I would not be so certain. I have noticed, for example, that you and your dragon have an ability to communicate feelings to each other. Do you think this is coincidence?"

Child stared at her furry feet, "For your information, that is all Angara's doing. She's the one who can get into my mind! It has nothing to do with me."

Legolas laughed, "Have it your way then, but, as you get closer to the West, you may find yourself conversing with a green dragon in your head, and longing to see the sandy white shores. Anyone who meddles with magical beasts or objects should not be surprised when hidden parts of her soul awaken. Just speak with your cousin Frodo on this. He is quite the expert."

Child plugged her ears and refused to listen further. She turned around looking for Sam
who had always been the voice of reason and good sense. But Sam, the laughing Sam who had started this whole business, was nowhere to be seen.

[ June 09, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 06-09-2002, 02:01 PM   #124
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Pio peeked over the balustrade that separated the upper foredeck from the rest of the ship. "Leave it to hobbits to cause a commotion!' she smiled to herself.

It did provide an excellent opportunity for her to examine the box attached to the side of the Wheel, as Cirdan's full attention now seemed to be directed to the drama on deck.

Her agile fingers made short work of the silver bolts holding the box to the wood. Opening the covering to the wooden box, she saw that it was actually a clear crystalline box within it that held the silver bar with the pulsing jewel. It seemed locked with an intricate puzzle-lock of mithril. She removed the inner box without trying to open it, wrapped it in her small silk neck scarf and put it into her pocket, next to Mithadan's cell phone. 'I'll figure out the lock later, when I have more time to myself.'

She put the now empty wooden box back next to the Wheel and rebolted it securely.

She stood up and turned to go down to the main deck. Once down the steps, she blended into the crowd as if she had always been part of it.

To her left, on a mast, she noticed a proclamation, in Child's characteristic script. 'Dreams and longings, hmmm?! No, none of those yet . . .'

A small voice hissed in her ear, 'He's here, you know.' Pio felt the small familiar weight of Angara settle on her shoulder, & reached up her left hand to scratch the wyrmlet's head. 'Who's here?', replied Pio, scanning her memory for any unfamiliar figure she might have glimpsed when she had first looked at the commotion.

She felt the light weight of a hand on her right shoulder, and a voice she thought never to hear again in Middle Earth.

'Mae govannen, dear cousin! So you have come to your elvish senses and are coming home. My heart rejoices!', came the silken tones of Legolas.

She turned, and he smiled that old sweet smile at her. & then, in an uncharacteristic action for an elf, she fainted.

[ June 09, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 06-09-2002, 02:08 PM   #125
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

Sam was in pain. It felt as if his stomach were being tied in knots. Through tear-filled eyes he glanced over at Frodo, who still appeared to be asleep.
Sam: Well, I've never really heard of anyone actually dyinglaughing, but this may be one case.....
He rolled over on the deck and starting giggling again, pounding his fists.
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Old 06-09-2002, 02:15 PM   #126
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Frodo was already beginning to have 'symptoms'. He knew he should report it to C7A. but he wanted to make sure Sam was alright.....
Old 06-09-2002, 02:19 PM   #127
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Sam held his stomach in another fit of belly laughs. Gasping for breath, he cried out,

H-help!!
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Old 06-09-2002, 02:22 PM   #128
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

So much was going on. But Rose wanted to tend to Sam too. He was still under the spell of the mirth potion.

"Oh poor Sam. Poor dear Sam." Rose kept saying.
'I could help him.' said a voice in her head. She turned to see that dragon (she didn't know it's name) flying over to her from Pio's sholder. Rose had never heard it
"speak" before and was very alarmed.
Angara used a simaler healing light that it had used on Birdie exept this time it was blue. Sam stopped laughing and layed down on the deck trying to regain his breath.

"Thank you.." Rose said then stopped. The realization of what she was doing struck her. She had herd Legolas and Child's conversation:
"Anyone who meddles with magical beasts or objects should not be surprised when hidden parts of her soul awaken."

Rose sat for a moment in fear. Then ran off to be alone. Was everyone on this ship destined for the west?

Rose didn't watch were she was going. But when she looked up she saw she was in the back of the ship. From there she could see a small strip of land. Middle Earth. She watched as it sank into the horizon wondering if she would ever see it again.
Old 06-09-2002, 02:30 PM   #129
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Sam lay gasping for breath. His stomach hurt badly.

Stacey:Sam!!

She ran over and scooped the little hobbit up in her arms, smiling a thanks at the dragon. Sam was still gasping for breath.

Sam: M-Miss Stacey:

She put her hand on his mouth.

Stacey: Ss-s-hhh. Just concentrate on breathing.
Old 06-09-2002, 02:32 PM   #130
Losthuniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Losthuniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Celeaewen was delighted to find Rosseil (granted, she looked like a drowned rat). they watched interestedly as Angara healed the sick people on the ship.
"i want one"
Rosseil groaned. "yes, i know you have and obsession with shiny objects, but thats taking it a mite too far."
a glint of something shiny caught Celeaewen's eye. she bent down and came up triumohant. it was a dragon scale.
"oooh, pretty!"
Rosseil rolled her eyes. "whatever Celeae. i got an idea; lets get some food."
Old 06-09-2002, 02:38 PM   #131
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Rose was torn between a homesickness for the Shire and amazment of how huge the sea was. She had never seen so much water in her life.

But after awhile the enormity of the ocean scared her and she sat down against the side of the ship. Then her guilt came back.

What if the Valar knew she had almost caused the REG to take over Middle Earth? What would they do to her?

Rose started to grow weary from worry and slowly drifted off to sleep, lulled by the roll of the waves.
Old 06-09-2002, 02:41 PM   #132
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

........Rose was on a beach. The sand was as white and soft as flour. The scent of the water filled the air. The sun smilled down at her and warmed her face. She was at peace.........................
Old 06-09-2002, 03:42 PM   #133
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

......she wanted to stay on that shore forever..........

Rose woke up and sat up straight. She was shaking all over. She knew what her dream had been about. The Undieing Lands. Her heart ached to be back at that beutifull land and it frightened her almost into hysterics. She didn't want to go across the sea.........but she did want to. And that's what scared her.

[ June 09, 2002: Message edited by: Rose Cotton ]
Old 06-09-2002, 03:59 PM   #134
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio felt a hand gently shaking her shoulder. 'I must have fallen asleep. & what a strange dream! Legolas - here! Impossible!' she spoke half out loud to herself.

'Possible, and true, Pio.', came that familiar voice.

She leaned up on one elbow, and cracked open one eye. An all too real face stared at her in concern, then smiled.

'Perhaps, if I just lay back and close my eyes this will all go away and be only the after effects of a bad bit of lembas.', thought Pio as she flopped back onto the deck, groaning.

'Not likely!' came the booming voice of Cirdan, just coming up the steps to the Wheel deck.

Pio raised herself on both her elbows and regarded the elder elf. 'Can you not stay out of my head?!', she said indignantly. Don't you think it a bit rude?' She had never been one to mince words when plain talk would do.

Cirdan laughed uproariously, and Legolas shook his head. 'If you weren't broadcasting like the beacon at Tol Eressëa all the time, it would probably be easier!', he said. 'You should have listened a little closer during lessons instead of stardreaming about adventures and glories!'

'Don't lecture me, cousin! You were always good at that stuff. I was made for other things. Not stardreams, but real excitement and adventure in the company of good friends.' returned Pio. 'That's why I made the choices I have. I wish to stay in Middle Earth, in the Downs with my companions.'

'Wishes are one thing', said Cirdan, growing serious, 'but there are orders from Aman to bring back all elves. And that is what I intend to do.' He strode past her and toward his place at the front of the ship.

'The journey is set,' said Legolas 'and perhaps once you see the West your mind may change. In the meantime, would you like a little help with the finer techniques of osanwe-kenta? I think we'll have plenty of time to discuss them and other things.'

Pio nodded her assent, what else could she do at the moment. 'Why do I feel like a mouse caught in a trap?', she thought to herself and sighed.

'Ah, yes!' said Legolas, Let's begin with that thought.'
Old 06-09-2002, 04:04 PM   #135
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Birdie sat crouched by the rail of the rolling vessel, feeling both unimportant and unsafe. "Half a wet mile from here to shore," muttered Birdie. " I wish I could slip over the rail and swim back to the party unnoticed. What did I come for? I am not wanted."

Birdie looked around the deck, which was crawling with elves, half-elves, and seemingly, half elves/half hobbit combos as well. She even thought she spied Rosseil and Celeae lurking amidst the cargo, but couldn't be sure. All going to the West, apparently. She had hoped for a minute that they were talking about West L.A., but alas, it was not to be.

Pio had just collapsed at the feet of Legolas, but that was hardly worth a mention any more. The Silven elf seemed to have that effect on some people. Birdie idly scratched at the small, diamond shaped scar on her breast bone, the only indication left that she had been shot and well-nigh killed before the journey barely started. She wondered just where she would fit in this little adventure, since as far as she knew, she was neither half-Elven, or quarter, or one eighth Elven. She had been found in the forest and raised by some kindly Beornings, and had even developed some of their shape-shifting abilities, but she had never got down bear. Couldn't morph into a bear if her life depended on it.

Her stomach lurched sickenly as the ship pitched with a swell. Sea journeys did not seem to be agree with her. She also found that her shape-shifting was a no-go once the ship had left the dock. Did this mean that she was a witch? She'd read somewhere that witches couldn't cross water.

Birdie's thoughts got bleaker and bleaker as the ship rolled on and on, up and down...up and down...and UP...and DOWN...UP...DOWN...UP...DOWN...

Sudden her stomach gave a jump and a twist, and Birdie was at the rail. She hoped that no one was down wind at the moment, then forgot everything else as she heaved up two days worth of ale and mushroom pie.

After a minute or so, Birdie lay across the rail, barely able to move. she looked down at the white tipped waves racing from the bow, carrying her farther and farther from her cozy little barrow.

That is when she saw the green toned face looking up at her. At first, she thought it was her own reflection, but then realized that the choppy waves would cast no reflection. Besides, this particular face had a small, kelp-brown goatee on it's chin.

"Oh, nice. Lovely. Are you coming down here to clean that up, land-lover?" The emerald green nose wrinkled in disgust, and with a flip of a silver tail, the creature was gone.
Old 06-09-2002, 04:26 PM   #136
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Menelduliniel awakes from below deck, where she was curled up in a corner, asleep. She yawns, gets up, stretches, and puts her hand to her head, for she has a horrid hangover. She runs her hands through her long, knee-length, silky, blonde hair. She picks up a brush and runs it through her hair a few times, but, as usual, her hair managed not to tangle.

She hears a familiar voice, saying:
Quote:
'Ah, yes!' said Legolas, Let's begin with that thought.'
"Elbereth Gilthoniel!" Menelduliniel exclaimed, "Legolas?!"

Although she was prepared to sleep off her hangover, she quickly takes off the robe she was in, and puts on her lavender silk long pants and her matching silk spaghetti-strap tank top. She remains barefoot, as usual.

She runs her brush through her hair about 10 more times, before she feels satisfied about her appearance.

"Ai! It has been so long!" Menelduliniel sighs, "I wonder if he has forgotten..."

She runs up the stairs, then gets suddenly nervous, and hides herself in a closet.

"ARGH!" Menelduliniel groans in the closet, "It's not like he doesn't feel the same! You're acting like a silly Elf child! Come on! Get out! Get out!"

She struggles with herself, then turns and sees what she thinks is a corpse. She screams and runs out of the closet. In the sun, she sees it was only clothing, a mere jacket.

She laughs, and can't stop laughing at her own silliness.

She collapses in front of everyone, including Legolas, on the deck, laughing and pointing at the closet.

"Haha! A coat! A mere coat! Not a body! Hahaha! Woo! Haha! What a hangover! Wow! Haha! I wonder how Gimli is feeling? Naah, he's probably still drunk! Woo! I might be too...hahahaha!"

She ignored all inner voices telling her how un-Elf-like this conduct was, and continues laughing...

She eventually stops, and, still giggling, rises to her feet, seeing everyone staring.

"Aiya! *gasp* Haven't *gasp* laughed *gasp* like that *gasp* in ages *gasp*! Woo! *giggle* That feels good! *giggle* *gasp* You all *gasp* should *giggle* *gasp* *loud exhale* try laughing like that *gasp* sometime *loud exhale*!"

She looks at all the eyes staring at her.

"Well...?" Menelduliniel asks, looking at all of them...
Old 06-09-2002, 05:19 PM   #137
Rosseiliantiel
Wight

Rosseiliantiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

By the time she and Celeae had found any food, a parcel of lembas to be exact, Rosseil was finally drying out. In fact, she looked nearly normal, except for her robe. The dark material of the skirt was muddy and torn, and half of her sleeve had been burned away in the battle.
Roseil broke of a bit of Lembas and nimbled on it gingerly, to make sure it was ok to eat, i.e. not rotten, wet, poisoned or stale. Satified, she tore off a larger hunk and chewed it gratefully. Celeae had been distracted by the dragon's scale she held clenched in her fist, cooing "Ah, pretty!" and "Lovely sparklies!" until Rosseil smacked her over the head with a wooden spoon.
"OW!" Celeae looked mutinous. Rosseil glared back at her.
"Well, it is for your own good. Otherwise, you will simply stare at a dragon's scale forever and waste away. And then who would I annoy?" she said smugly.
"Probably, all of Middle Earth, knowing you. OR you might blow up small children. Who knows.Now pass the lembas!"

[ June 09, 2002: Message edited by: Rosseiliantiel ]
Old 06-09-2002, 05:51 PM   #138
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Menelduliniel giggles, dusting herself off, and tries to make herself presentable. When everyone, including Legolas, is still staring at her with their mouths open, she looks back.

"WHAT?" Meneli demands, "Haven't you ever seen a person still a bit drunk...ow! All done with that...now a wicked hangover though..."

OOC: Wait: did I just say "wicked"? That went out of fashion here in New York...well, it was never popular in New York...oh well...

She looks at all the open mouths, waiting for someone to address her...
Old 06-09-2002, 06:46 PM   #139
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Child, along with everyone else was staring at Menelduliniel when she heard a whisper from behind some barrels.
"Psst..Child. Come here." Child walked over.
"What's wrong?"
"I had the symtoms. I dremt about the western lands. Oh Child, I don't know what to do. I don't want to live there forever and yet I feel a longing....like some kind of call." Rose was shaking like a leaf.
Old 06-09-2002, 07:10 PM   #140
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child took Rose in her arms and gently rocked her back and forth as she might do to one of her children when they were younger.

"Don't listen to this nonsense in your head,' she pleaded with Rose. "We are good, sensible hobbits, and this whole thing is ridiculous!"

"Remember how beautiful the Shire part of the Downs is. All the green fields and the places to swim and lots of birthday parties. Who needs beaches? I certainly don't"

Child hoped that her voice sounded convincing, because inside she was beginning to have some serious doubts.

Just at that moment, she heard a clear message that was coming from some unspoken source.....pst, pst, this is Angara, and I would like you to pay attention to me......perhaps take me for a little ride......acknowledge how wonderful I am.......

Child could scarcely believe the words ringing inside her head. This was bad, very bad.

She set out to look for cousin Frodo.
Old 06-09-2002, 07:16 PM   #141
Losthuniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Losthuniel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Celeaewen and Rosseil watched Meleiendulial, having had experience in this sort of thing. they inched away from her, screaming about coats and such.
Celeaewen wa alternating between eating lembas, and staring transfixedly at her dragon scale.Rosseil rolled her eyes, and plucked the dragons scale out of her hands.
"lets see this"
"noo! preciousssssss!"
Rosseil inched away from Celeae, looking rather worried. she gave Celeaewen back her scale, and Celeae then immediatly went into her "ooh, shiiineeeee. pretty" antics. Rosseil rolled her eyes. it was going to be a long trip.
Old 06-09-2002, 08:37 PM   #142
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Stacey sat with Sam in her arms, feeling tension in the air and wondering what all of the confusion was about.

She looked down at the sleeping hobbit, who was now breathing normally.

He'll have a stomachache for days, Stacey thought.

She wondered where Frodo had gone, and why he was acting so strange. Granted, he was tired, but she always thought he'd do anything for Sam. Here the poor little guy had been laughing himself to death, and all Frodo could do was throw things at him. Stacey shook her head.

Stacey: Maybe it's been the stress....
Old 06-09-2002, 09:11 PM   #143
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child had searched up and down the ship for Frodo, but had not been able to find him. She was getting desperate to talk to someone, anyone, who might be able to explain what seemed to be happening to her and to others on the journey.

This had seemed to be such a fun thing to do when they had first stepped on board. Now, it seemed to be much more serious than she had ever thought. She could not imagine what the Valar would do when the ship docked and they were confronted not only with Elves but a considerable group of hobbits seemingly striken with longing for the West.

Child decided to leave a note for Frodo. She discovered he had been assigned to the same cabin that Legolas was in. She speedily wrote a note and tacked it onto their cabin door. It said in big letters:

FOR FRODO BAGGINS ONLY-- NOT TO BE OPENED BY NOSEY ELVES

On the inside, the note read:

Dear Cousin Frodo,

I am coming to you for some serious help. I know that I have sometimes played tricks on you and acted silly, but I am truly upset by what has been happening on this ship. And since you know a whole lot about Aman and Elves, you might be able to provide some information and insight.

First, what Legolas said was true, I am mainly Fallohide just like you are. But, believe me, I never heard of any Elves hiding in my family tree. They must be very far up the tree as I have never seen nor heard of them!

Why do I keep having dreams of sandy beaches and salty sea air? It is practically driving me crazy. I think Rose is having the same problem; apparently she also has some distant Elf ancestor. And tonight I clearly heard Angara communicating with me inside my own head.

This is not good!!!! I want to go home. I don't want to stay on some distant isle far from my friends.

Are you having similar problems? What about Sam?

I know one time you and Sam lived over the Sea and then decided to return to Middle-earth and the Barrow-downs. How did you persuade yourself to come home? Do you have any special words of advise so we can keep our heads on our shoulders and figure out a way to get home?

I am sorry to take up your time with this, but it does seem frightfully important.

Your Third Cousin Twice Removed,

Child a.k.a. sharon, the 7th age hobbit
Old 06-09-2002, 10:31 PM   #144
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Frodo found C7A.

"Child, I am having the same symptoms, only worse, and I am uder enough stress already. I believe we may both have Elven blood in us. I don't know about Sam. I wish I could find him and aplolgize for what I did. You can talk to me. I miss the Shire terribly, but I feel drawn to the Undying Lands. Ummm.. BTW how did Legolas and I end up sharing a cabin???"
Old 06-09-2002, 11:33 PM   #145
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child nodded her head in agreement with Frodo. "I have never felt this way before, and I'm finding it very upsetting. I keep thumbing through your guidebook to the Blessed Lands and looking at the pictures of Tirion and Valimar and Avallone. They look so beautiful. I keep imagining myself living in one of those cities in my own house, or maybe with Pio or Veritas. I've heard they have wonderful, big libraries and I would love to sit down and study those old books."

Child continued, "Of course, the whole thing is ridiculous. Most of my brain says I'm a hobbit and I don't really belong there. But a tiny voice in my head is whispering something quite different. To tell the truth, I'm feeling desperately confused."

Child sighed, and looked at Frodo, who truthfully looked even less happy and certain than she did.

"Oh, you asked about the room assignments? I think since you and Sam were both ill, Cirdan assigned you to separate rooms since Sam was in no shape to do anything except lay on the floor and groan or laugh. Plus, Cirdan said Legolas could help tend to your nursing if that was required. And I also wouldn't be surprised if he assigned you with Legolas, so you could help defend him against the invading hoards of female Elves."

"If you're feeling a bit better and would prefer your own place or to bunk with the Gamgees, I'm sure Cirdan would be happy to arrage whatever you want. He certainly seems very positive about both you and Samwise and I know he'd do anything to please you that he can. And at least Sam has stopped roaring with laughter so you'd be able to get some sleep there."
Old 06-10-2002, 02:46 AM   #146
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Birdie fell into an exhausted sleep at the rail. She dreamed she beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.

The Elven ship was pulling up to a great, stone dock, and Cirdan stood by the pier, shouting "Welcome home, Elf-Kind! Return to Aman!"

And the passengers disembarked, but there were no half-elves, or half-elf/half hobbit combos. Every one was an elf, and every one looked exactly alike, tall, fair, and impossibly beautiful. In lock step, they marched down the ramp chanting "We return to Aman, We return to Aman", while Cirdan called "Off the ship! Everyone off the ship!"

"They look like such shiny, happy people," thought Birdie.

Birdie saw someone she knew was Child, though she looked just like everyone else, and her face had a polish like stone. All lines of hobbit character were erased, and her feet were uncomfortably naked.

Birdie tried to follow Child, Pio, and the other down the ramp, shouting "Wait! You don't want to do this!" Suddenly Cirdan turned to Birdie, but instead of the face of the wise, bearded elf, she saw the face of a demon!

"Off the ship!" he screamed, and pushed Birdie off the ramp into the sea. As Birdie sank into the blue-green waters, she saw the light flashing through the ceiling of the waves. Suddenly a greenish face with a kelp brown goatee looked down on her. "Sink or swim. Sink or swim," he said in a matter-of-fact way. And then he began to sing:

"O what hills are yon, yon pleasant hills,
That the sun shines sweetly on?"
"O yon are the hills of heaven," he said,
"There you will never win."

"O whaten a mountain is yon," she said,
"All so dreary wi' frost and snow?"
"O yon is the mountain of hell," he cried,
"Where you and I will go."

"He strack the tapmast wi' his hand
The foremast wi' his knee
And he brake the gallant ship in twain
And sank her in the sea."

Birdie woke with a start. "The Demon Lover. The Demon Lover!?...I have to find Child!"
Old 06-10-2002, 02:48 AM   #147
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The lesson had been cut short by a giggling elf girl. Pio had never understood what those young females saw in her cousin. He was nice, of course, and his hair was always just so, but honestly he was a little too much on the scrawny side for her taste. She would concede that he was a master with his knives, and at the bow none could surpass him. But to her mind a nice down to earth Boromir or a dashing Meriadoc Brandybuck was more to her liking.

Before Legolas had retreated to his room, he had managed to get her to understand how to moderate her private thoughts. She had been successful in keeping thoughts to herself around him, but she still wasn't sure about Cirdan. Best to keep a physical distance from him til she locked in the lessons completely.

She made her way to the railing of the ship where Bird was still hung over the side, looking a little green still about the gills.
A glint of silver caught her eye as she glanced over the side at the effluent of Bird's stomach floating on the waves.

'What was that?' she asked her. 'I could have sworn it had a face.'

Birdie shrugged her shoulders, then turned a paler shade of green as the pitching of the waves increased in intensity. 'I've got to go below and get a hold on my stomach she moaned!

Pio helped her down the stairs to her quarters and settled her in with a bucket by the head of her bed. Placing a cool rag on Birdie's forehead, she leaned down to her and whispered, 'When you're feeling better, we should help each other - I want off this boat!'

'Find Child,' whispered Birdie ,'Tell her it's the Demon Lover . . .'

Pio closed the door as she left and went back up on deck to find Child, Rose, and Veritas. It was time for some sort of plan to start taking shape where they could be back in control of their futures. Visiting the old country was one thing; being kidnapped was quite another.

[ June 10, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 06-10-2002, 04:47 AM   #148
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

After Child left, Rose just sat for awhile thinking. It was fine for Child she was a strong willed hobbit. But the REG overpowering her had proved her worthiness. But she used Child as a roll modle. She wouldn't let this have her.

Then she decided to go down into her room. But before she entered Pio came out of Birdie's quarter and brought Rose over to her.
"Rose. C'mon. We have to find Child and Veritas. We're going to get off this ship."

"What about Birdie."

"The sea has not agreed with her. And she said...said for me to tell Child...it's the Demon Lover."

"What does she mean by that?" said Rose.
Old 06-10-2002, 05:08 AM   #149
Veritas
Wight

Veritas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Veritas was looking out over sea, in the beginning it looked like this was going to be fun, but after a while she didn't want to go anymore, she longed for her own Middle-Earth, not for the Undying Lands.

It were Pio and Rose who wake her up out of her thoughts.

"Come," wispered Pio, "We're going to get of the ship."

"Sounds already like a good plan, who are going with us?"

"Pio, Child, you and me." said Rose with a sad face, "Birdie said that the sea has not agreed with her, and something with a Demon Lover."

Veritas' happiness for the flight had fainted, what was that with Birdie? She didn't understand, what did she mean with 'the sea has not agreed with her' and what or who is the Demon Lover.
Things to think about later, Veritas, thought the wizard, first find Child.

"Come on! Hurry!" Pio stimulated then to come with her to go to Child.

"Coming!" said Veritas while she just grabbed a rope, maybe it would be usefull.
Old 06-10-2002, 07:39 AM   #150
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child got up and stretched. She had a splitting headache. She was sitting in bed with the classified ads spread out in front of her. She was comparing the desirability and price of various pieces of real estate in Tol Eressea and Amon.

Birdland was banging incessently at the door of her cabin. She sat up in bed just as Birdie with her enormous strength took the door off its hinges. Behind Birdie stood a contingent of her friends.

Birdie went over to the bed and shook Child very hard. "Wake up, wake up!!!" The she stuck a mirror in front of Child's nose.

Birdie glared: "Does that look like an Elf face?? What are the possibilities of the Valar sending a real ship to pick you up and bring you to Aman?? Since when has the Council of Valar paid the slightest attention to your private affairs. The last time you went to Amon by mistake, Varda ushered you out through a time warp in exactly 30 seconds and told you not to fall into the wrong story again!!!"

Child had to admit that the possibility of Varda wanting her to return had seemed quite remote indeed. And even if she had been lucky enough to go there, it would surely be on a holiday, and not as a permanent resident.

Frodo and Samwise--now that was a possibility, but herself and Birdie???? It did seem like a mistake had been made, or else something much more sinister was happening. Birdie seemed to incline to the latter view.

After she listened to the whole story told by Birdie and the assembled throng, she had to admit they might be correct. For one single instant, Child felt deep and genuine sorrow that a beachfront home in Avallone did not seem to be in her future. Then she pulled herself together and tried to think things through.

Her brain was really rather muddled. It was almost as if someone had drugged her. She remembered the big room with all the bottles and began to have serious doubts about what exactly was in the water on this ship.

Then Child retorted to Birdland, "You can do what you want, but I am not getting off this vessel. What about the others on board? I will not leave Samwise or Frodo or some of those Elves who are still hidden behind the barrels. And do you think I can swim across the ocean. You must be kidding. Now if I wanted to, I could fly away on Angara and leave the rest of you here. But that doesn't seem like the decent thing to do."

"And what about Legolas?? Is that a demon Legolas? I don't think so. I think he was captured at our birthday party and bewitched, just as we were."

"I wonder if any of this has anything to do with the remnant of that REG. Of course, I'm sure whoever had that piece certainly trashed and destroyed it, didn't they???" Child looked directly at Pioseniel.

Child continued, "Our only course is clear. We have to mutiny and gain control of this vessel. You know we do have a few things on our side and one of them is Angara. Last night, before I went to bed, Angara told me she thought there was something very fishy going on. I didn't even listen to her, because I didn't want her to be right. But I guess she was right, and things have gone very wrong indeed."

"Now, let's put our heads together and figure out how to get out of this mess. I do have my dagger and bow, and I see some of you also have weapons. Any ideas??"

"And, oh yeah, who is going to break this news to Samwise, Stacey, and Frodo? The two of them may be very disappointed because, unlike us, they actually have been to Aman."
Old 06-10-2002, 08:37 AM   #151
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Birdie looked around at the elves, wizard, and half-elf/half hobbit combos sitting in the cabin. Pio and Veritas seemed more than happy to make their way back to the Downs, but Child seemed to be bitterly disappointed that she would not be seeing the golden hills of Tol Elressa.

"Don't feel too bad, Child", said Birdie comfortingly. "However you got on this ship, it seems that the captain only wanted people with Elven blood, and that's what he got. So your having elven blood must have some truth to it. I'm just here by accident; maybe that's why Legolas shot at me so hastily. He was tricked into it.

You mean...?" asked Child hopefully.

Yes, Child," smiled Birdie, "somewhere in your family's past, there was an elf in the woodpile."

"But how will we get Frodo to believe all this?" said Rose. "And can you be sure that this dream you had really shows that this ship isn't going to the Undying Lands. After all, you say yourself you have no Elven blood, so how do you know this dream is real?"

"I don't know!" said Birdie, "But all of you seem to be having second thoughts about this voyage. If this ship was truly going to Aman, you would have no doubts. As for Frodo...do you think Frodo has ever read Child?"

Well, Frodo has read several of my monographs on M-E history, and said he found them quite enjoyable."

"No Child! Not you! Child!"

"OK, I'm confused."

"Child was an ancient scholar, who traveled Middle Earth collecting all the old ballads of the common people. And we all know the importance of oral history in preserving our past. Maybe if we can show Frodo the ballad 'The Demon Lover', he'll believe what has happened before could be happening again."

"Maybe one of you Elves could put that "mind reading" you do to use, and see if you can find out if Cirdan is really "Cirdan". I don't know what else we can do."

Then Pio spoke up. "I might have something that could help us." she said, and reached into her pocket...
Old 06-10-2002, 10:22 AM   #152
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

It was late afternoon. Mithadan stood on the shore watching the sails of the west-bound ship slowly sink below the horizon. The Barrow-Wight stood next to him gingerly nursing a truly awe-inspiring hangover.

"Well there goes a good chunk of our membership," said the Wight. "Knew I should have given in to my instincts and abducted them."

Mithadan scowled, then looked up at the sun. "We have a big problem, BW," he said.

"Don't worry Mith," replied the Wight. We'll get some new members. And I'm sure they'll enjoy the Uttermost West."

"No. They won't, said Mithadan. "Elven ships departing for the Straight Road always leave at dusk, not at high noon. Where ever that ship is heading it isn't the West."
Old 06-10-2002, 12:38 PM   #153
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

It was early morning. Child was recovering from her genuine disappointment in not being on a real Elvish vessel headed for the Blessed Lands. Oh, well, if there really was an Elf in the woodpile, maybe she would get there some day. Those ancient libraries sounded just amazing. And the music......Oh, well. Better think about their real situation.

She stood on deck in the middle of the ship. She looked forward to the West as the ship ploughed ahead. She watched the vacant waters on all sides, but could see no sign of birds or fish or other life. Quite unusual!

Looking ahead, she saw how beautiful the sunrise was. She was reminded of the scene in Frodo's manuscript where Samwise could sense the beauty of the skies and the overall goodness, even in the midst of immediate darkness.

And then Child suddenly realizd something quite amazing. She dragged Birdie and Pio out on deck.

"Look, look, I'm not too good on natural history, but I do know one thing." she blurted out. "Look straight ahead of you to the front of the ship, up in the air. What do you see?"

Birdie tilted her head in a birdlike gesture: "Well, that's just the morning sunrise. Nothing special."

Child snorted, "Nothing special? If that's the morning sunrise, which it is, I'll be a monkey's uncle if we're sailing West. The sun rises in the East, even I know that. So we are sailing due East. There is no way we are going to the Blessed Lands."

"In fact, I would say we are going in the opposite direction, maybe towards those lands where the two istari disappeared, and they have some kind of crazy mystery cults and worship of demons."

"If you can show Frodo or Samwise the sun, maybe they will believe that this ship is up to no good."

"And also give them a copy of that Demon poem which Birdie mentioned. My annotated copy of "The Ancient Child" is back home in my bookcase, and I'm not sure if I can remember all the words of it. But I do know what piece Birdie is talking about."

[ June 10, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 06-10-2002, 01:12 PM   #154
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio gathered Bird, Child, Rose and Veritas into Child's cabin. She, too, had noticed that the ship seemed to be heading in a definitely un-Westerly direction. She was hoping that the object she had found on the Wheel might help.

Pio pulled two objects from her pocket. Bird rolled her eyes and shook her head in wonder at the elf.

'You never cease to amaze me!This combination of elf and hobbit is a very dangerous one, I think,'she laughed, 'Quick thieving fingers and complete fearlessness!'

The elf set Veritas against the somewhat shattered door of Child's cabin to guard against unwanted eyes and ears. She laid the objects on the bed. One was a bright silver cell phone whose previous owner had apparently not missed it after Pio had borrowed it. The other object was wrapped in a piece of silk.

'O stars above,' said Child, 'You still have Mith's cellphone?!' 'But what is that other thing?'

Pio unwrapped the crystalline case with the silver bar in it containing the clear, shining crystal. 'I'm not sure what this is exactly, but I think it is something important - something that has to do with the guidance of this ship. You see how this bar has an almost uncountable number of little holes in it that the gem will fit into? Look at which hole it's positioned in right now - the 7th one. I think this represents the 7th Age - the one we're from. And if I'm right, then these other holes are other Ages, past and present, in sequential order. If we can determine how to manipulate the gem, we may be able to manipulate the ship it self. But we'll need to mobilize all our companions to get past Cirdan - that is if it really is Cirdan. Honestly I've never heard of an elf with a beard!'

The companions bent over the crystal box and threw ideas out about how to work with it. The buzz of brainstorming rose and fell.

It was in one of the quiet moments when a ringing broke into the thick silence of the cabin. Their heads all turned at once to the cellphone lying on the bed. Pio picked it up and pressed the starred key.

'Hello,' she said quietly. 'O! Mith it's you! What! Oh, yes, she's here. Hang on a bit.'

Holding her hand over the mouthpiece of the phone, Pio whispered to Child: 'Child, it's for you. It's Mith and I can't tell if he's angry or relieved.'
Old 06-10-2002, 01:49 PM   #155
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Stacey sat on the deck with Sam for a long time, not knowing what else to do. Just like at the party, she felt on the outside.

Stacey looked down at the little hobbit, who was sleeping peacefully. "Sam, what's going on?" she whispered. "Where's Frodo? I don't like this one bit."

With some difficulty she stood with Sam still in her arms. Going around the side of the main cabin, she found Primrose, again trying to shoot at fish with her arrows.

Stacey: Bored, eh, Prim?

Primrose: *Kicking the guardrail* Extremely."

Stacey looked around at the seemingly empty ship. "I have the weird feeling you won't be so bored for long. I wonder where we're going to sleep?"

Primrose pulled in a rope and retrieved her arrow. "I think there are cabins down below. "

Stacey: Okay. Let's go look. Your father's getting heavy.
Old 06-10-2002, 02:03 PM   #156
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

"Child? Hi. Glad you're still in range. That ship you're on isn't going to the Uttermost West. You figured that out? OK. I have no idea who would want a passle of Hobbits and Elves but this can't be good. Let's see... the old REG is destroyed and I have the new one here and its off. This is no illusion I guess." He listened to the description of the device from the wheel room. "Time travel? Still odd."

"Historically, neither Morgoth nor Sauron had much by way of sea power. Umbar supported Sauron and, of old, they were governed by Black Numenoreans, some of whom were great sorcerors. You may have been taken by some present day secret remnant of those people. Or they may have travelled forward to seize you. But why? You have no weapons of any significance that I know of. Revenge? Frodo and Sam maybe? Possible, but a heck of a lot of effort to do so and why take others along? Hide the guidance device and snoop about. Maybe you'll find out. Keep in contact and I'll help if I can. Oh, and keep Ankara under wraps. She's the only potential weapon you really have other than knives and bows."
Old 06-10-2002, 02:05 PM   #157
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio wrapped the crystal box back into the piece of silk and put it in her pocket. She slipped out the door, telling Veritas she would be back in a moment. One of her reasons for going was that she didn't want to be there in case Mith asked to speak with her. Child and he seemed to be having a long and serious conversation, and she left them to figure out the logistics of the problem.

She ran back to her room and leafed through the stack of ballads she had stored with her small harp. Aah! there it was! The one that Bird had mentioned. She read through it quickly and then went up on deck to see if she could find Frodo.

Frodo was no where to be found. But Stacey and Prim and a somewhat somnolent Sam were just making their way to the stairs leading down to the cabins. Pio drew near Stacey and handed her the folded up piece of paper.

'Can you get Frodo into your cabin somehow and tell him Bird and Child want him to take a look at this. Then all of you need to meet with us as soon as we can. Keep the paper hidden until you get somewhere away from any prying eyes.

Stacey unfolded the paper and glanced quicly at the words:
THE DEMON LOVER
Old 06-10-2002, 02:11 PM   #158
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Hey, Mith, don't hang up. There's still some things I need to check with you about.

"Mith, Mith, Is that you? This connection is getting worse. I can barely hear you."

"Yes, yes, we'll bring your cell phone back. Yes, I know it was a $150 deposit for the phone, and you hold us personally responsible."

Child secretly cursed Pio..

Yes, I know the eastern lands are not a particularly nice place to spend a vacation. And I can't figure it out either. What do they want with us? I think the key may have something to do with Elves and Elf-friends. Everyone here is an Elf, or an Elf-friend, or at least has some Elf blood. Except for Birdie and they tried to shoot her"

"I honestly think the "big fish" may be Frodo, Sam, and Legolas, and we just got caught up in the trap."

"What do you mean I'm a three foot hobbit and not an Elf. I'm a Fallohide. Of course I have some Elvish blood. My family tree is of great pride to me"

"Sam and Frodo????"

"Well, to tell the truth we haven't seen them all day. They think we're still sailing to the Blessed West."

"Yes, yes, we promise to tell them. That is, as soon as we can find them."

"No, Mith, I'm sure they haven't hurled themselves over the railing with longing and despair."

Yes, I understand that, next to you and the Barrow-wight, they are the two most famous residents of the Downs, and they're the ones we most have to save and bring back. Yes, of course, if a sacrifice has to be made, it won't be them, it'll be one of us....."

Child glances at the ceiling and rolls her eyes upwards.

"We'll be very, very careful. But I don't agree with you about the ship. If we do manage to hijack this vessel, as far as I'm concerned it'll be ours, not yours. What do you mean we can only act as representatives of the Downs!!!!! We'll see about that

"Yes, we'll try to keep in touch. Farewell for now."

Child put the cell phone down and shook her head. The batteries looked perilously low. What kind of mess are we in? she thought.

[ June 10, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 06-10-2002, 02:12 PM   #159
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

THE DEMON LOVER
"O where have you been, long, long, love,
This long seven years and mair?
O I'm come to seek my former vows-
Ye granted me before. "
"O hold your tongue of your former vows
For they will breed sad strife;
O hold your tongue of your former vows,
For I am become a wife."
He turned him right and round about
And the tear blinded his e'e.
"I wad ne'er hae trodden on Irish ground
Had it not been for love of thee."
"I might have had a king's daughter
Far, far beyond the sea;
I might have had a king's daughter
Had it not been for love of thee."
"If ye might have had a king's daughter,
Yer self ye had to blame;
Ye might have taken the king's daughter,
Fer ye kend that I was nane."
"O false are the vows o' womankind,
But fair is their false bodie;
I ne'er wad hae trodden on Irish ground
Had it not been for love o' thee. "
"If I was to leave my husband dear,
And my two babes also,
O what have you to take me to,
If with you I should go? "
"I have seven ships upon the sea,
The eighth brought me to land;
With four-and-twenty bold mariners
And music on every hand."
She has taken up her two little babes,
Kissed them baith cheek and chin:
"O fare ye well, my ain two babes,
For I'll ne'er see you again."
She set her foot upon the ship,
No mariners could she behold;
But the sails were of the taffetie,
And the masts of the beaten gold.
She had not sailed a league, a league,
A league but barely three,
When dismal grew his countenance
And drumlie grew his e'e.
The masts that were like the beaten gold
Bent not on the heaving seas;
And the sails that were o'the taffetie
Filled not in the eastland breeze.
They had not sailed a league, a league,
A league but barely three,
Until she espied his cloven foot,
And she wept right bitterlie.
"O hold your tongue of your weeping," says he
"Of you weeping now let me be;
I will show you how the lilies grow
On the banks of Italy."
"O what hills are yon, yon pleasant hills,
That the sun shines sweetly on?"
"O yon are the hills of heaven," he said,
"There you will never win."
"O whaten a mountain is yon," she said,
"All so dreary wi' frost and snow?"
"O yon is the mountain of hell," he cried,
"Where you and I will go."
And aye when she turned her round about,
Aye, taller he seemed to be;
Until that the tops of the gallant ship
Nae taller were than he.
The clouds grew dark and the wind grew loud,
And levin filled her e'e;
And waesome wailed the snow-white sprites
Upon the girlie sea.
He strack the tapmast wi' his hand
The foremast wi' his knee
And he brake the gallant ship in twain
And sank her in the sea
Old 06-10-2002, 02:13 PM   #160
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Stacey went below deck and down the hall she had before, steering far clear of the room with all the bottles. She peeked into some of the rooms, which already appeared to have gear stowed in them. Finally she found a room with two bunkbeds in it.

Stacey: Here we go.

She laid Sam on one of the lower beds, then turned to his daughter.

Stacey: C'mon, Prim. Let's go see if we can find someone to explain what's going on.

The two left the room. Stacey noticed the number on the door: 7.