Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2003, 07:24 AM   #241
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
Sting

"Why certainly! I have nothing better to do, and as we will be leaving soon, it would be nice to go and see her. Ani Dao, why don't you come too?"

The elf was hesitant, but in the end she could not refuse the offer. They finished their meal, and then the company dispersed, going to see old friends or just admire the amazing craftmanship that had been put into the castle.

"Tomorrow we shall visit your mother, but it is late. I do not want to trouble her at this hour. I myself want merely to have a drink around a nice fire in this hall, and here some stories. And perhaps tell some, as well."
Old 04-08-2003, 06:29 PM   #242
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

The moment news of their arrival had reached him; Ahret Ban had rushed to meet his former student. He ran into her as she was leaving the Hall. His ever-hard eyes streamed with tears of happiness as he embraced his pupil.

“I am so glad to see you again.” His arms were thick with muscle and held her like a father would a daughter that had been lost and recently found; which in his eyes, she might have been. Hating to excuse herself from dinner with Burzdol’s mother, she told Ahret Ban quickly of her agenda and promised to meet him afterwards. He nodded understandingly and bid her farewell.

Burzdol’s mother was a wonderful cook. The meal to Ani Dao’s hungry stomach was nectar and ambrosia. Excited, though, to meet up with her old teacher, she excused herself early. Thanking his mother royally, she told Burzdol to save her and Ahret Ban a place in the hall: she’d meet them there shortly.

She found Ahret Ban leaning up against a tree in the courtyard, working on a nocturnal dial pendant. When she entered he stood and bowed. Then, to Ani Dao’s surprise drew his sword. Almost of its own accord, her sword hissed free of its scabbard, and Ani Dao met the elf’s first lighting thrust with a two-handed parry. Relief flooded the arms master’s face.

“Oh good. Your reflexes are still good.” He sheathed his sword and extended his arm, as a noble man would any lady. Ani Dao smiled that he treated her with respect when the others had shunned her. She took it and they began their stroll around the garden.

During their walk, Ani Dao told in surprising detail, her life since her departure of Mirkwood. She included, Umbar, Rivendell, Lothlorien, the Shire, and everything else: people, feelings…etcetera. Ahret Ban listened intently to everything; soaking it up, and commenting where needed. When she refused to say more, Ahret Ban took a deep breath.

“You have led a busy life Ani. You have made many decisions that have been for the good. Your sage knowledge, and your wise friendships have implemented you with valuable connections and,” he said looking at the pouch that hung around her neck, “precious tools.” The rest of the walk, they talked about more pleasant things: the distaste of the new gardeners, and simple gossip, usually shared by old noble ladies. In the midst of their conversation, Ani Dao realized that Ahret Ban had led them to the Hall. She looked questioningly at him, and he winked.

“This was your final destination wasn’t it?” He took in her surprised look and remarked humorously, “I am your other half Ani Dao. Anything you would think of doing, I planted in you. You are my tool … my slave.” Ani Dao punched him. And looked down at her dirty clothes. She had been ashamed to wear them in front of Burzdol’s mother, and didn’t want to be seen in the Great Hall with them.

“I’m going to change. Find—”

“Burzdol. He’s saving you and me seats.” He entered magnificently, not giving a shocked assassin a second glance. She shook her head and went to change.

Now Ani Dao sat in a rich mahogany chair, elven crafted with leaf, and berry motifs. She had changed into a rich, festival-green colored jerken, held together with gold clasps in the shape of leaves. Her hair was let down, and fell in large curls down her back. Around her head was a woven crown of leaves and berries: appropriate for the time of year, and Mirkwoodian custom. On her left sat Ahret Ban, and on her right sat Burzdol.
Old 04-09-2003, 06:56 AM   #243
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

The food was good; that was the first observation made by Bali while attending dinner with Burzdol. The house was simple, mud bricks and wood, but it had a cheer to it that Bali had found lacking in many "greater" dwellings.

The evening was past away merrily. After dinner, Bali and Burzdol offered to clean up the kitchen. Afterwards, they went over to the hall to meet Ani Dao and Ahret Ban.

[ April 09, 2003: Message edited by: Himaran ]
Old 04-11-2003, 06:28 AM   #244
astarielle
Haunting Spirit

astarielle has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to astarielle
Eye

The failing sun's rays penetrting the forest roof fell on the gound. Astarielle sat in a clearing in which at the centre were the charred remains of a dwelling. The ground there was black and here and there pieces of would that had escaped. The fire had long since died away. A tear rolled softly down the cheek of Astarielle but she made no sound. This was where her house had stood many years ago. The house in which she was born, the house in which she watched her parents die.

Many years ago when Astarielle was a mere 500 years old a troop of orcs came to Mirkwood. They had come for revenge on Asilith (Astarielle's father) for killing one of their leader's whilst on patrol. They came in the dead of night at set fire to the house after barring all the exits. Asilith, when building the house, had created an under floor passage way that led out of the house. However after many years of no use the passage had caved in only leaving enough room for a child to get through. Against her will Astariell was forced trough the passage to safety whilst her parents choked inside. She stood in silence, not beliving her eyes hoing to wake from a dream, as she watched them die unable to save them. They dwelt quite a way from the hall of Tharanduil so when some elves came they were already dead. Astarielle was taken into care of Tholas and there dwelt until she was old enough to leave.

Astarielle had not attened the feast, but sat in reflection of times past and time present and times to be. Suddenly she looked up she had heard something stir in the dense undergrowth. She drew her boe and turned ready to fire. To her suprise outstepped Tholas.

"Anima turinqui, Astarielle, saesa omentien lle"

"Tholas do my eyes dicieve me once more? I thought you perished a long time ago."

"Nay, you are wrong for once Astarielle, I was never killed."

Astarielle ran over to meet him adn embraced him. "Come you are needed back at the hall Astarielle." he said. They mounted their horses and rode back to the hall.
Old 04-11-2003, 08:47 AM   #245
Dain Ironfoot
Haunting Spirit

Dain Ironfoot has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Dain was keeping a close eye on his son to make sure he was alright. The kidnapping had left Durin with some bumps and bruises and cuts. Seemingly little else was wrong with him other than that. Still, you can't be too careful.

Dain had to admit that he felt a bit uncomfortable being here with all these Elves. Even after weeks on the road with Elvish companions, he still could not walk into a hall such as this one, without giving a brief glance to the right and left to make sure everything was alright. Old habits die hard.

Not that Thranduil had not treated them with every respect and courtesy. The tables had been loaded with platters and bowls of all shapes and varieties. Dain had had his fill of venison and eel pie, along with a variety of other dishes he was less familiar with. Probably some delicacies that were particular to the Elves, he guessed. Still, he and his son had enjoyed everything they'd eaten. It was good to have such luxuries after so many weeks on the road.

Dain had also spent time roaming about the side rooms off Thrandul's main hall, getting a closer look at the king's collection of rare and beauteous pieces that gleemed with gold and precious jewels. Dain had to hand it to the Elvish king. He had a real eye for objects of beauty, much in the manner of a Dwarf. To Dain, that was one of the highest accolades that he could accord to an Elf.

Still, he found himself becoming increasingly impatient. Surely, it would be time for them to leave soon. They were so close now to the object of their quest. He wanted to get on and face the Orcs in battle. Hopefully, then, there would be a happy reunion with his wife and plenty of time for celebration.
Old 04-11-2003, 03:34 PM   #246
Earendil Halfelven
Wight

Earendil Halfelven has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The dread of Mirkwood still hung over the young man like a blanket. They were in the Halls of Thranduil and the Mirkwood elves, but still Einen didn't feel any safe. While the rest of the company separated off to find old friends or explore, Einen decided to just stick near Arlómë. He didn't feel like exploring. To him, this was nothing compared to the wonder of Imladris, but maybe in happier days, Einen would see this place in a different light.

They stayed in one of the halls, smoking some pipeweed. Amazingly, Arlómë felt the same as Einen did. The elves that he once knew here were gone to the Greyhavens. He did have a long chat with Thranduil, who he knew well enough, but he decided to just relax and prepare for Erebor.

Then, Arlómë had a thought. Einen was a good fighter, who did learn fast, but he didn't know enough to get into a full blown battle. Arlómë glanced over at him. Some training would do Einen some good, he decided.

"Come, Einen. Your a good warrior, but I think you still need some proper training. Erebor will be a lot different from what you've experienced." Arlómë said.

Einen sighed. "Sure. If you think so..." was all he said. For the rest of the day, the clang of steel could be heard throughout the hall as they trained.

[ April 11, 2003: Message edited by: Earendil Halfelven ]
Old 04-11-2003, 07:38 PM   #247
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

The company left Mirkwood the next morning. With them were thirty elven warriors that had elected to come with them. It was a two-day march to Erebor, and the group was eager to reach it quickly. However, they were sad to leave the peaceful forest. They knew all to well that some would not return to the Hall of Thranduil.

After their final days of travelling, they finally reached the last hill. The peak of the mountain could be seen over the hilltop. But soon, they saw the peril that the mountain was currently in. Nearly three-hundred Uruk Hai were assaulting the outer wall, launching arrows up at the wall and attempting to breach it with ladders.

The group stopped at the ledge, unsure whether or not to attack immediately. But Bali ran to the front, calling, "Charge, leave none alive!" The group dashed down the steep hillside, clashing into the foes at the bottom. Suddenly the doors of Erebor swung open, and dwarves poured out, aided by the bows of elves from the wall.

The Uruks were poorly clad and were no match for the fury of the warriors. The members of Bali's Army met dwarves of Erebor in the middle of the Uruk Hai, now lying slain in piles on the ground. And what a joious greeting it was! Bali soon found his brother, who had led the charge. "Bali, you came! We had started to lose hope."

"I have come, good brother. How is father?"

"He is well. Come in, all of you. We are deeply in your debt." The
group entered the walls, and were met by the arms of friends, wives, and children.
Old 04-11-2003, 08:45 PM   #248
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

Pipe

Bali was leaving. The elven messenger informed her, not long after she and Ahret Ban returned to their quarters. She couldn’t believe it. They had not arrived but a few hours ago. She thought to argue, but thought better of it, and instead went to tell Ahret Ban.

“You’re coming with us!” Declared Ani Dao, blocking the doorway of Ahret Ban’s quarters. The elder assassin looked threateningly at her. They had been arguing constantly and repetitively on the same topic.

“Who will protect the king if it go?”

“Who is going to harm the king?” The two stared at each other challengingly for a minute before Ahret Ban spoke.

“I am not needed there Ani Dao. It is not my place.” He approached her gently and stroked her cheek. “You will return, and we will speak more. This is just an elf-walking party if you will. Come back for tea tomorrow morning won’t you?” He dropped his hand and walked over to his desk. “That is what you always used to say to me ‘…an adventure could happen before or after breakfast and I’d still have tea…’ Has so much changed Ani?” Tears made the she-elf’s eyes look like glass and they began to slide down her cheeks slowly. Ahret Ban nodded. “Mmm, yes. New emotions. You always had confidence in yourself.” In two large strides he was before her again and clutched her hands firmly. “Have confidence in yourself again Ani! Do not fail. You will not fail!” Infuriated, she wrenched her hands free and between gritted teeth she said:

“I have never failed. You are not my father—”

“No! I am your teacher.” Ani Dao collapsed into the arms of her mentor and sobbed heavily.

The next morning, Ani Dao walked out of Mirkwood forest, and further away from her teacher, and friend. At her throat she gripped the feather pendant, which so long ago that it was beyond her memory had been given to her. Sobs had racked her body the night before, and she shook still. Burzdol noticed.

“Are you alright?” She nodded, and firmly changed the look on her face from sadness to determination.

“Just anxious to reach Erebor.” He looked uncertainly at her, but said nothing.

“We’ll be there soon. Two days.” They walked side-by-side the rest of the day.

Upon their arrival at Erebor, they were met with an onslaught of orcs. Defeating them rather easily, they were shown inside the mountain. The scene caught Ani Dao hard by the throat. A beautiful kingdom had been built inside the depths of the mountain. Gigantic columns carved in great decoration and detail held up the ceilings. But what really caught Ani Dao’s attention was all the gold: gold, silver, diamonds, gems, jewels, and mithril. Memories of her days as a corsair flooded back to her. She was not proud of her conquests and vanquishes, but they were still there. She smiled wickedly to herself. If only they could see me now. Surrounded by all this treasure. Ha! How jealous they’d be!! Burzdol clapped her on the back, bringing her back to reality. Suddenly ashamed at her zealous thoughts, Ani Dao followed Burzdol to the walls to get the complete overview of the battlements.

[ April 12, 2003: Message edited by: maikafanawen ]
Old 04-12-2003, 10:13 AM   #249
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Arien
Sting

Belegond stayed at the top of the hill and picked off many of the enemy. The Uruks were easily put to death, their armour was weak and poor and with the help o the dwarves of Erebor they would fall quickly. When Belegond had used up the last of his arrows and had none to spare but the ones of Mithril he hurried down to the aid of his companions, daggers drawn. He kicked the first Uruk he met in the chest and then plunged his left dagger into the heart of another. He kept fighting, but as he turned to one large Uruk, probably a leader he felt himself knocked to the ground. He fell face first into thick mud and could taste blood in his mouth. He rolled over and saw a sword coming towards his face, he rolled again and this time the Uruks head joined him on the floor. Its body collapsed revealing Kili smiling from ear to ear.

“What would you do with out me eh?” he chuckled while dodging an axe swing from a small Uruk and the skilfully slicing through its torso with his sword.

“I do not know,” Belegond laughed as he got to his feet. His clasped his daggers and he and Kili went back into the fight.
Old 04-12-2003, 10:24 AM   #250
Kili
Pile O'Bones

Kili has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Kili took a swig from his canteen and cool ale filled his mouth. Nothing like a bit of courage when in the heat of battle he thought to himself. He ran down the hill into the clash, he delicately cut the heads of a few of the Uruks standing by and drove his sword in to the chest’s of others. As he decapitated the head of a rather foul Uruk he saw that Belegond was in trouble.

“No dwarf leaves a friend in trouble,” he muttered to himself as he swung his sword and hacked the attacking Urks head of. He conversed with his old friend and then together they went back into the war.

The Urks were slain easily and Kili’s sword severed their armour effortlessly. He was enjoying this and took another drink of ale as he went to join Bali, who was fighting a particularly large group of rank Uruks.
"'Kili at your service!'said the one. 'And Fili!' added the other; and they both swept off their blue hoods and bowed. 'At yours and your family's' replied Bilbo, remembering his manners this time. 'Dwalin and Balin here already, I see' said Kili. 'Let us join the throng!'"
Old 04-12-2003, 10:25 AM   #251
Arvedui III
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arvedui III has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arvedui III
Shield

Gromfelt was still shaking the black blood off his axe when the party was rushed inside. Bali and his brother talked, then the group dispersed, bound for the fortifications or the top of the mountain, or simple to wander it's halls before the battle to come.
Gromfelt headed for the armories, a bit anxious, but glad he was home again. He steped in, and a blast of heat greeted him. They're working to the last to get ready. he thought, and it was again driven home it him that the mountain he called home was about to be under attack.

A small dwarf came to the door and abruptly shut it in his face. Gromfelt chuckled, and opened the door again. "Hullo Bifin. Sorry if I made it a bit drafty." the small dwarf turned, "Grom," he said, surprised. "What are you doing here?" "Oh, nothing much. Just planing to fight a huge army of orcs and hope I don't get killed." said Gromfelt, grinning. "Got bored again?" Bifin said. "Yep. Say, is your father about?" "Nope, try the battlements." and the dwarf returned to his work. "Thanks, I will." and Grom left.

It's good to be back. he thought as he headed for the battlements. The sky was grey when he came to them. As he looked out it seemed like a thin black line was forming on the horizon. A wind blew, and below him a bird sang. The clam before the storm, he thought. Gromfelt sighed. It was good to be back, but this was going to be long day.
Old 04-12-2003, 06:34 PM   #252
Frodess
Haunting Spirit

Frodess has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yanithë hacked and slashed at the Uruks with all her might. It got her mind off of things. A particularly fierce one sauntered over toward her, not thinking she could harm it. She brutalized the Uruk-hai, and almost felt bad for it when she was done.

Yanithë followed the dwarves and others, but did not join them. She was back where she started. The entire journey, she had not been a part of the group. She had been the loner. She smiled at the irony. She had never been a loner in Rohan. But she smiled at the others, knowing they would never understand her.

But she had come to feel a certain friendship for all of them and, when they parted ways, she would feel a pain.
Old 04-13-2003, 01:28 PM   #253
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

Carlas' post

Durin walked down the paths of Erebor with his father. He knew it well for he had been living there almost all his life. He had first left only a short while ago with his father before they joined up with the rest of his company at the Green Dragon Inn. He had been looking for some sort of adventure, but never thought it would be to get to his homeland. He shook his head slightly as he walked silently behind his father.

Dain had been a little protective lately, though Durin did not blame him. It had been stupid to let himself be captured, and Durin was frustrated with himself. He wanted to show his father he was capable, but so far had done a pretty lousy job.

As they reached the end of the street, Dain elbowed Durin in the side and pointed over where he saw a lady dwarf chatting happily with some others. Durin smiled as he recognized her as his tall and strict mother. Durin and his father walked over, embracing her warmly.

"Welcome back. I hope you two have been working hard, and you...." Here she pointed at Durin. "You better have behaved yourself."

During nodded, but smiled lightly as his father winked at him.

"Well, come along, you must be starving. I can make whatever you like, but nothing that will take too long," she stated as she walked off in the opposite direction.

The two dwarves looked at each other and followed, wanting to eat before the real battle started.

Dain's post

Dain felt like a king sitting at his dinner table with his son Durin and his wife Glis close by his side. He was proud of the boy, but never seemed to find the words to tell him. Still, he kept slapping him on the back and cheering him up by telling him tales and jokes as if it was just another normal day.

Dain got up and went to the large oaken chest that stood at the end of the great hall. Carefully, he opened it and searched inside for the treasure he knew was there. He found it, and tucked it quickly within his hand, coming over to where the lad sat quietly with his mother.

"Durin, I think you've earned your way this time. Despite a mishap here and there, you have conducted yourself with pride and earned the right to call yourself an adult dwarf. So here is something to help you in the hours and days ahead."

He handed him a well-made weapon of ancient design, its hilt cleverly covered with dwarvish runes and its blade gleeming with the hint of sweet steel. "Wear this in good health." The father and son embraced, and Dain sent Durin ahead to the battlements where he promised to meet him in just a few minutes.

After the boy had left, Dain finally turned to his wife, "I have missed you so, Glis. I kept imagining terrible things about the Uruk-hai and their wish to make this stronghold their own and everything and everyone that dwells inside."

"No, no, my liege," she whispered. "Know that I am still here, your loyal wife. No beast will ever touch me. I wear a silver dagger under my skirts to protect myself and I am not afraid to wield it."

"That I know well," he whispered huskily. "But for a moment, lay the weapon aside."

And she did as he bade here. And for an instant, poised on the edge of battle, they came together as husband and wife, sharing their promises and hopes that things should go better by the morrow.

Then Dain rose from the couch, and again gird on his mail and sword, and went down to be with his son. But before he left, he promised his wife that he would do everything possible to see that he and the boy managed to return.

Himaran's post

Dwalin excitedly led his brother up into the mountain, through the great stone passageways and up to the throne room. Upon seeing his son, Bali's father hurried over to him and eveloped him in a tight hug. "Son, you have returned to us at an hour of the greatest need. I am so happy to see your face again."

"As am I, father. How is the king?"

"He is doing well, but has many great troubles on his shoulders. But The Lord Durin is not yet old, and he will fight to the death to keep his mountain."

"Aye. I will speak with him shortly. I have brought fifty warriors, many of whom are of the most skilled in middle earth. They range from elves to dwarves to Dunadain, with about ten Gondorians. They will serve us well against the ounslaught of the enemy."

"Bali, I must tell you now. I have little over five-hundred defenders, and my scouts have reported a massive army sent against us."

"How many, father?"

"Fifteen thousand Uruk Hai, and not ill-equiped like the first group. All have decent weapons, and thick armor. They have an great variety of siege equipment."

Bali pondered the magnitude of the enemy army for a moment. "When will they be here?"

"Tonight. They set out from their castle in the north three days ago, and marched with only one short stop."

"Well, then we must fortify the castle. Get the women and children into the mountain, in the upper levels."

"I will leave the planning to you, Bali. I will go and talk to the king. You must hurry, there will be time for many long talks around the fire after this is over." The dwarf hurried off, followed by Dwalin.

After speaking with the members of his company, Bali split the army up, positioning a group of both dwarves and elves along each section of the wall. The Gondorians were placed around and on the main gate, and were ordered to protect it at all costs.

The wall was stocked with arrows, pikes, oil and torches. Debre to be thrown down that the invaders was plentiful.

Bali then gathered his original group together, and addressed them.

"Friends and companions, you have all held true to your word. Many of you have travelled far from your homes to risk your lives for this mountain. Our journey is over; we have conquered the road to Erebor. But now let us defeat the foes that brought us here, and make those few that survive fear the Lonely Mountain!"

His words were greeted by roars of approval. "The army is in place, but known of you need be part of it. Fight wherever you will, with however you wish. You may spread out throughout the entire wall, or all congregate in a single area. But remember; if we should lose this battle, Erebor is lost, and so Mirkwood will be."

The group dispersed, checking weapons and preparing themselves for the inevitable fight ahead.

[ April 16, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 04-13-2003, 06:32 PM   #254
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

Arien’s post :

Belegond leaned against the cold wall staring at the floor. He could hear the dripping of water and the soft murmur of voices that came from outside. He unsheathed one of his daggers and held it in his hands. And while humming softly to himself, slowly caressing it with his left hand. So, tonight was the eve of the battle, what he had been waiting for. Bali had briefed them and wise words he had said but this was no comfort for Belegond. The battle was ahead, he could not escape it and he indeed did not want to. But he felt a certain discomfort, uncertainty about the confrontation as if it was to be his last.

No but that was stupid! Absurd, how could he think like that. He now thought of the rest of the company. The dwarves they were brave, stout and good in combat. They would truly fight a fight to the end. The elves skilled and the men. Well the men, they were men. Also skilled, brave. But he could not bring himself to see the others of the company fall. Especially those that he had known or grown close to.

No he was interrupted by the sound of soft footsteps coming up to the battlements. He could see a shadow. It was of a woman. Yanithe. She kept walking steadily towards him and as she turned a corner they met face to face.

“Yanithe,” said Belegond, he paused. They had not spoken for along time. But you do not always need to communicate through words, sometimes your body language even your eyes do it for you.

“Yes?” she answered softly as she stopped walking and lent on the opposite wall to face him.

“Ar…are you ready for the battle?” Belegond’s words tripped, he did not know why. Whether it was because of their looming doom or the beautiful woman standing before him he could not tell. But he felt weird. His heart was pounding against his chest and he was almost shaking. Nervous, he was nervous. But he didn’t know why.

“Yes, yes I am.” She stared at the floor and then looked up at him again, “And you?” she said as she crossed her hands in front of her.

“Yes, b-b-but I fear some of us will not make it. Now the hour comes when we must bid our friends farewell, as we go into battle not knowing the fate we are tied to.”

“You have so little faith in your friends my lord?”

“No, no it is not that. You must not think that I think that.” he stopped, what he was trying to say was so hard to tell her. She must think him stupid or something. He tried to open his mouth again but no sound came out. “Good luck,” he said finally. “You are a valiant warrior and no doubt you will slay a fair share of the advancing enemy, good luck and farewell for now!” He gazed into her eyes and sheathed his dagger. And with that he nodded and drew away from the wall.

As he turned his back on her he felt a soft hand pull him back. “ Wait.,” she whispered.

Frodess’ post:

"Wait," she whispered. He turned to face her, though she knew that he would not look her in the eye.

"We cannot part like this! We both know it. My friend, I have spent many sleepless nights on this journey, but the thought of you-even if you were nowhere near- has been such a comfort to me. Look at me, my lord." She gazed imploringly into his eyes.

"I have come to love you. In fact, I think I have loved you since you first spoke to me in the tavern. If all of this should come out all right. . ." He stopped her with a gesture of the hand. "Let us not think of tomorrow. Let us think only of now, for who knows what fate awaits us." With this, she drew him near and pressed her lips to his.

They stayed like this for a while longer, then both left at opposite sides, like two shadows under a full moon.

Maikafanawen's Post

Ani Dao stood at the wall, watching the oncoming storm with apprehension. The dark rolling clouds, were fluctuating with rain, and hovered like a harbinger of danger, foreshadowing the bloody war that was to come in the early morning, before dawn splashed across the sky with it’s warming colors of soft pinks and yellows. No, that dawn would be a red morning. She sighed heavily and traced the cracks in the stone with a slender finger. Them, all of them, the dwarves, the elven warriors and the small company of about fifty led by Bali were all isolated from assistance; walking into a labyrinth: there was no way out, and a terrible beast waited for them at the end of the line. She shivered involuntarily as a crack of lightening flickered in the distance, sending a rumbling clap of thunder over the presently deserted valley.

Dwarves were rushing all around her, securing weapons, sharpening axes, readying every form of missile or debris they had to throw at the approaching enemy. The wall around Erebor was strong, but should it be breached, the dwarves had little chance. Little over five hundred defended the mountain. Ani Dao didn’t need to quip about her poor arithmetic skills to know that five hundred verses fifteen thousand might as well be a preying wolf upon a sleeping baby. She pounded her fist on her the wall and cursed.

“Such language coming from a lady?” The assassin looked to her right to see Burzdol standing beside her. She hadn’t noticed him approach. Ani Dao welcomed his jovial comment that breached the tension.

“Tsk, tsk. Which lady?” she looked around and Burzdol snickered.

“Have you been standing here a while? I’ve been searching for you.” The assassin nodded and resumed tracing the tiny crevices between the blocks of stone. “I’m sorry Ahret Ban wouldn’t join us. But then, it wouldn’t do you any good if he had gotten killed.” Ani Dao guffawed defensively.

“Ahret Ban wouldn’t have died.” Burzdol batted away his remark with a gesture of his hand.

“Ah, no of course not.” The elf looked sideways at the person beside him. She was, he realized, an elf of rare and exceptional beauty. Long, wavy blonde hair blew away from the perfect oval face and contrasted nicely with her radiant, glowing skin. Her cheekbones were sharp and high, as if a delicate hand had sculpted her features. Fervent eyes stared into their oncoming doom. He touched her arm, “Come now. Isn’t it always you trying to lighten things up? See past the odds? Wasn’t it you who had once breathed hope into a dying flame?” Ani Dao shook her head.

“Not … anymore,” she replied through clenched teeth, fighting back tears of frustration. Damn all this! Why can’t the Uruks leave these peaceful people alone! Burzdol wrapped his arms protectively around Ani Dao as her body, racked with unshed tears, shivered in his soothing embrace. The assassin resolved never to cry again unless they are tears of happiness. I will not cry until this foe is vanquished and my life is spared.

The embrace changed suddenly from one of comfort to one of love. The two elves realized it with something of a shock. Ani Dao smiled contentedly and leaned into the crook of the elf’s shoulder. Burzdol laid his hand upon her head, weaving his fingers in her hair. The wind moved in susurrus waves over the two lovers. Ani Dao looked up into the beaming face of Burzdol and he bent down and kissed her lips softly, holding her face in his hands. There was an awkward silence when they pulled apart and then Ani Dao smiled softly and in a voice barely audible said the words that she had never thought she ever would,

“Burzdol I…I love you.” His eyes softened and he nodded.

“I know.” She pulled away and punched him jovially.

“Ah now, you’ve gone and broke the mood.” Burzdol laughed, but then became serious again and firmly placed his hands on her shoulders and looked earnestly into her eyes.

“I love you too Ani Dao, and seriously. So in the morning, when the fighting starts, be careful. I will not tolerate losing you.” He pulled her into another embracing kiss. The first drops of rain began to fall upon the defenders and the placid sound of drumbeats echoed across the valley. Then an elvish voice cried out above the once tame, now roaring wind.

“The Uruk Hai are coming!!” Ani Dao and Burzdol ran down to stand beside the elvish archers and raised their bows. She took a deep steadying breath. This morning, she thought, squinting through the rain towards the oncoming foe, there will be no tea. Only blood.

Quote:
Walking slowly, two men came within hearing range of the gate. "Dwarves of Erebor, we have no want to destroy you, as will happen if you refuse this offer of peace. If you send the elves and rangers down to us, we will leave your mountain alone. They will be held as prisoners for bartering, later."

From nearby on the wall, Arlome muttered; "If only, you old fool, if only I could go down to you." The hoods of the two were thrown back. All the members of the company recognized Kaldon, but the other was a stranger to them. He was obviously Galdon, Kaldon's father.

Bali then spoke to them, clear and loud. "I will have no dealings with a meddler and a murderer, nor a warlord such as yourself. We have defeated your son, as we will you. Send your worst against us. Erebor will be your grave."

"Daer ú-o chyn, Ú-danno i failad a thi; an úben tannatha le failad. Hain 'war di na lanc a nu ranc.” " (Show them no mercy! For you shall receive none! Their armor is weak at the neck, and under the arms), Hathalas’ voice shouted out to the elven archers. Burzdol and Ani Dao pulled their bows taught and aimed down into the masses of Uruks. Then Hathalas gave the final command.
“Tangado haid! Leithio I philinn!” A shower of arrows was released as the first of the Uruks came in range.

Quote:
A hail of shafts from the wall sent ripples of death into the ranks of the Uruks. They charged, while Galdon and his son hurried out of arrow range. Eruantalon aimed his bow and fired. "And so it begins, my friend."
[ April 15, 2003: Message edited by: Himaran ]

[ April 15, 2003: Message edited by: Himaran ]
Old 04-13-2003, 06:47 PM   #255
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

Bali stood upon the wall, axe in hand. Despite the army which he could now hear in the distance, he felt a strange calm. Truely, this was where he needed to be. Protecting his home.

Eruantalon stood next to him, gazing out at the torches which were appearing over the hill on the horizon. The enemy had come. Fifteen-thousand strong, equiped with pikes, spears, swords, axes, knives, bows and a number of other cruel implements. Soon the entire army could be see, marching slowly along the flat landscape. They poured over the hill like ants, never ending. The army spread out, surrounding the fortress at a distance. Yet still they came, a never-ending stream of black. They brought large siege weapons, pushed by large groups of Uruks. Once the castle was surrounded, and the last of the Uruk Hai had come over the hill, all motion stopped. The army stood still, waiting for their leader.

Walking slowly, two men came within hearing range of the gate. "Dwarves of Erebor, we have no want to destroy you, as will happen if you refuse this offer of peace. If you send the elves and rangers down to us, we will leave your mountain alone. They will be held as prisoners for bartering, later."

From nearby on the wall, Bali heard Arlome mutter; "If only, you old fool, if only I could go down to you."

The hoods of the two were thrown back. All the members of the company recognized Kaldon, but the other was a stranger to them. He was obviously Galdon, Kaldon's father.

Bali then spoke to them, clear and loud. "I will have no dealings with a meddler and a murderer, nor a warlord such as yourself. We have defeated your son, as we will you. Send your worst against us. Erebor will be your grave."

A hail of shafts from the wall sent ripples of death into the ranks of the Uruks. They charged, while Galdon and his son hurried out of arrow range. Eruantalon aimed his bow and fired. "And so it begins, my friend."

[ April 13, 2003: Message edited by: Himaran ]
Old 04-13-2003, 07:28 PM   #256
Earendil Halfelven
Wight

Earendil Halfelven has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Arlómë seethed with hatred. He had never hated any man before like he now hated Kaldon. How could a man ally himself with such evil? With the spawn of Sauron? While Kaldon and his father demanded the surrender of the Elves and Rangers, Arlómë thought of how lucky Kaldon was to be out of range of his bow. Hopefully, he would survive long enough to kill the traitor. If not, well, he hoped that Kaldon would meet his fate at the hands of one of his friends in the company.

The battle began. Einen unleashed every arrow he had in his quiver. He glanced at Arlómë who was already empty of arrows.
"What should we do? We're all out..." Einen asked.
"Let's go back to the armory. I have an idea on how to destroy those siege weapons." Arlómë answered.

They turned to head back, when Arlómë saw Bali, who was hurling debris over the side of the wall.
"Bali, my friend, we need to destroy those siege weapons. If we could have the archers shoot arrows that are on fire, then we could set the siege weapons ablaze. That would stall the attack on Erebor, and give us more time to organize a better defense. Einen and I are heading down to the armory to refill on arrows. Pass the word to the others." Arlómë said.

Bali nodded. "Good idea." He turned and hurled another big stone over the edge.
Arlómë and Einen headed over to the armory.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:25 PM   #257
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Burzdol's first arrow glinted in his eye as he looked towards the oncoming force. He could see that Bali was comanding and he was calm. Burzdol was actually starting to get bored. The elf was thinking of something just as important. His hand slid to his pocket, then to the ring inside. If both him and Ani Dao survived, he was going to propose.

"Burzdol, come here please," Bali said, startling the elf.

"Oh, yes, coming," he said. His hand went back to his bow, and he walked to Bali. It would happen soon.
Old 04-15-2003, 02:48 AM   #258
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Belegond walked down the dark corridor away from Yanithe. He was really suprised. The way she had acted, of course he was glad but he did not expect her to feel the same way. He kept walking until he found a flight of stairs leading up to the battlements. There Kili sat, drinking. This was no suprise to Belegond as he normally did this before a fight and this was certainly not going to be any mere scuffle. He sat down next to his friend and they did not talk, just sovoured the silence for a while. The battle was drawning near and it seemed to dullen everyones spirits.

"So my friend!" exclaimed Kili breaking the heavy silence that loomed about them, "ready to fight?"

"Yes", said Belegond laughing," and if you drink anymore of that ale I dont think you will be able to fight!"

"Of course I will" Kili said with an added hic-cup on the end. Belegond gave him a serious look. "What is wrong Belegond?"

"Well..."

"Come on now, how long have we been friends? You can tell me surely!"

"Well...I think I am...." Belegond sounded so stupid saying this. "In .....love?" he made it sound like a question at the end as if he wasnt sure of himself, but he knew he was.

"Belegond I love you to but I dont think it will work out!" laughed Kili taking another drink.

"Ha ha ha, yes its so funny!"

"Sorry. Who is it? Yanithe?"

"Yes."

"Well, she is strange, to me anyway. Sometimes she seems too quiet and other times I dont know, but I guess you know her better than I do. All I can say is..........congatulations....if that is the right thing to say. It is time you found a woman!"

They laughed and talked of old times for a while then Kili had to go and get his shield from his room so he left Belegond alone. He sat on the stiars thinking. He placed his hand inside his pocket and lifted out the brooch Yanithe had discarded on the ground. He looked at the horse on it, proud it was. No doubt she would want it back, he would give it to her after the battle. He got up and walked outside, ready for the war.
Old 04-15-2003, 03:08 AM   #259
Kili
Pile O'Bones

1420!

Kili got up and said farewell to Belegond. He then went to collect he shield from his room. As he entered he set down his ale as he thought he had already drank enough for tonight. He collected his shield and made his way up to the battlements where Bali was standing.

"My friend, he goes the preparartions for the battle so far?"

Bali turned to look out over the advancing army. "Wel Kili we need to get everyone assembled then we should be ok." Kili noticed a slight tremble in Bali's voice.

"And the numbers?" Kili paused, he knew he would not receive any good news. He waited for Bali to reply.
"'Kili at your service!'said the one. 'And Fili!' added the other; and they both swept off their blue hoods and bowed. 'At yours and your family's' replied Bilbo, remembering his manners this time. 'Dwalin and Balin here already, I see' said Kili. 'Let us join the throng!'"
Old 04-15-2003, 03:21 AM   #260
astarielle
Haunting Spirit

astarielle has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to astarielle
Eye

Astarielle had found herself isolater near the end of the wall. In the heat of battle she had targeted leaders of the Uruks and therefore moved steadily further away from the company. She reached behind to draw another arrow to slay a particularly large Uruk to her left, but there was none left.

Looking around she caught sight of a number of spear shafts. She ran over and grabbed some. Quickly she cut them into pieces and sharped there ends to make stakes. Astarielle thought to herself, "Who thought Elves aren't resourceful?". Smiling she loosed a number of stakes at the Uruks. Soon enough her quiver was empty so she rushed back to the main bulk of the company.

"Good to see that you are all still alive, if any good does come out of war." she said calmly.

The Uruks were approaching fast marching forward unheading the falling bodies of their kind. Near the rear of the enemy Astarielle could see two cloaked figures on horse back.

"Who wants to come and kill Kaldon. I have a plan!"

Quickly she rushed to find Bali who was on the wall. "Bali, are there any other exits to Erebor other than the main gate. For if a small group were to get out underground or by some other means unnoticed, we could circle around and attack Kaldon and his father without them noticing. Then to get back quickly, as no doubt we would have alerted the Uruks we could prehaps steal there horses, ride back and re-enter the mountain by the same way we got out" said Astarielle urgently. "What do you think of my plan and would you like to join us if you see fit?"
Old 04-15-2003, 09:15 PM   #261
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

Bali watched the innumerable Uruks charge toward his home with dismay. He had little hope of them winning this fight, against such impossible odds. Arlome had approached him again, laden with oil-bound rags and arrows. Soon a burning volley was sent into the nearing siege weapons, igniting them into bright balls of flame.

Kili also came to him, asking him about the exact numbers of the horde. "Fifteen-thousand at least, good friend. But have hope! Erebor's walls are strong."

Soon ladders were being leaned against the defenses. The warriors repelled the enemy valiantly, but soon there were signs of Uruks fighting dwarves and elves on the walltop.

Astarielle hurried over to Bali, and explained her plan. Most of his old company gathered together to hear it. "Nay, good elf. I could not allow you to attempt such a feat. Those two are well-guarded, and it would be disasterous if any of you were captured or killed; and the entrance could be discovered."

But as he spoke, the wall was rocked by a tremendous explosion. The gate shattered, large stones flying into the air. The Uruks had blown through the wall.

The company had been thrown off of the gate by the explosion. Now they stood, gingerly, checking to see if any of them were injured. Then they saw the sea of Uruks charging over the broken stone and into the round courtyard.

"Sound a retreat. Get everyone into the mountain!" Bali turned to the company. "We must hold the gate until everyone is inside. If we fail, Erebor is lost."

The company charged forward, breaking the incoming wave of Uruks. But the enemy pressed forward, ever forward...
Old 04-16-2003, 02:08 PM   #262
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

Pipe

“The wall has been breached!” The cry of a dwarf rang out over the battlegrounds. Ani Dao ran to the spot where Uruks had broken through the strong stone of Erebor and were swarming in like ants. She aimed a shaft at a rather large berserker and got him in the neck, just stopping him from taking a slice at a dwarf. The assassin reached behind her for a second arrow to find her last one. Notching it quickly, she shot down a second creature. Ani Dao threw down her bow and unclasped a rope from her belt, secured it to a stone post on the wall, and checked it strength. Then, in one graceful leap, she swung down the wall and into the mass of Uruk Hai, sword flashing. With the skill from many years of training she made a large gap in the onslaught of invaders.

“She-elf!” called a dwarf. “Pull back!” Ani Dao’s eyes searched for a way of escape while she held back the Uruks with her sword.

“Now Ani!” yelled Hathalas. Sheathing her sword, she grasped a hold of the rope the elf tossed her and swung out over the crowd of monsters. With the aid of Hathalas, she took the wall again with her feet, slipping a little on the rain-slicked stone.

“I have no long-distance range weapons,” Ani Dao shouted to Hathalas over the roar of war. The elf looked around and then nodded.

“Come, we’ll meet them down at the breach. They ran to the nearest stairs and joined the dwarves that were there already, fighting with every ounce of strength they had. “Stay close, if we don’t get separated, we have a better chance of domination.” Swords clashed and the screams of dying Uruks echoed around the courtyard. The rest were fighting in the courtyard by the gate as well: dwarves, Gondorians and elves, Burzdol among them.

For a while they held the Uruk Hai back. Hathalas took down even the most threatening with seemingly less effort. His blonde hair streamed behind him magnificently, and his exquisite face held the determination of any other dwarf there.

Ani Dao brought around her elvish blade and severed the head of—a goblin? Goblins had come too with their rusty knives and poisoned arrows. Befuddled, she stepped back for a moment and looked around quickly. The smaller, and spidery like creatures were also making their way into the fortress. Yelling in anger, Ani Dao took them on. Her knives flew rapidly into their necks, and unarmored chests, killing them instantly. She dipped under scimitars and flipped over the monsters, picking up knives in a blur. Not a one of the creatures was sharp enough to follow her movements. She turned for a second triumphantly viewing the thirty goblins she had left in her wake. Focusing again on the masses of enemies, she noticed that she had gotten separated from the company.

At that moment, a great hollow roar came from behind the sheet of rain. Uruk Hai and goblins seemed to cheer in their vulgar language. Men, dwarves, and elves stopped alike to meet the new foe. To their horror, a cave troll of implausible size lumbered into view, bearing a great club. Ani Dao started at the sight. This, of all things, she did not expect. Her first thought was to break through to her companions: they had a better chance if they assaulted this monster in one strong party. A crazier idea came to her head. Taking a deep, steadying breath, she charged. Just side-stepping his swing, she threw the claw end of her rope that wrapped around the beast. When the troll turned, the force pulled her up with it. She kicked the monster hard in his face, and jumped on his head. His long, muscular arms tried to bat her from her position. The assassin took two of her knives and plunged them deep into his rather thin skull. Roaring in pain, the troll lurched his head backwards and then threw it forwards, propelling her into the wall.

The hit shook her up pretty bad, but she determinedly regained her feet. Head spinning, she fought against the Uruks. One tried to skewer her with its pike. She kicked it away, and caught it. In almost the same movement she threw the lance at the oncoming troll. The spear pierced his left eye. Bellowing in anguish, he removed it, black blood pouring from his socket. Ani Dao’s throat lurched at the sight. She broke through the forming ring of Uruk Hai and rejoined her companions. Pushing through with their backs together, they eliminated a good portion of the smaller foe. Finally though, the troll found them: his right eye still good. Summoning what she had left of her strength, Ani Dao threw a knife into the beast’s remaining eye. The moment he whip-lashed back, Hathalas sunk an arrow into its throat, killing it.
Old 04-17-2003, 08:25 PM   #263
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

The gate was a lost cause, that was certain. Bali watched the last of the regular fighters enter the mountain, and then saw the groups of Uruk Hai charging them from both sides. "Retreat! Into the mountain! Get inside before we are cut off!"

The group charged backwards, with several elves shooting arrows over their shoulders at the Uruks. Bali stood at the gate, slashing at anything the got close to him, until the last of his companions were inside. Eruantalon grabbed him and pulled the dwarf into the mountain, and the great stone doors slammed shut.
Old 04-17-2003, 08:32 PM   #264
Faybevin Bombadil
Pile O'Bones

Faybevin Bombadil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Maikafanawen's Post:

“Into the hall! We cannot hold them! Now!” Ani Dao, one leg bleeding profusely, and her head pounding like it would explode, fought strenuously against the foe.

“Ani Dao!” Burzdol called to her. She didn’t hear him. “ANI!!” Crying out in determination, Ani Dao killed two Uruks in one swing before Burzdol pulled her into the hall, into their temporary safety. The doors were shut and barred.

“Where’s Bali? Yes I see him. How long do we have until they break through?” asked a breathless Ani Dao. The dwarf secured another beam on the gate before he answered her.

"Not long," he sighed, "probably only ten to fifteen minutes." Then he addressed everybody, "Quickly! Block this entrance too. Barricade the corridors!" One loud bang sounded upon the gate from the outside. Everyone looked towards it in fear.

"Make that five minutes." The defenders tore apart the mountain's halls. Chairs, tables, cabinets, and every piece of furniture available was stacked up against doors. The elves had refilled their quivers with arrows, and the dwarves were re-supplied with hatchets, all in only five minutes.

Splintering wood sounded throughout the halls, followed by the triumphant screams of goblins and Uruks. Ani Dao shifted and readied her knives. Here they come.
Her golden locks flowed behind her, bare of beads or braids. Naked shoulders led to elegant sleeves of forest green whilst her skirt was made of the same. Golden sheer was tied bout her waist and her feet were bare and everdancing, her mouth open in sweetest song.
Old 04-18-2003, 10:16 AM   #265
Arvedui III
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arvedui III has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arvedui III
Shield

Gromfelt quickly wiped the blood off his axe and took a stance. The doors brust open and with a yell the goblins and uruks charged the hall. The simple baracade his fellow dwarves had built wouldn't hold up much longer. Gromfelt chucked his smaller axes hitting a orc in the chest and another in the head. "Bullseye, Grom!" yelled a little dwarf, who was scurring around to find more weapons. "Bifin, you get up the mountain, as far as you can go!" He yelled as he sent another hachet into the eye of an orc. It seemed like it would end in the hall right before the baracade. The elves and humans seemed to have killed half the orcs, and other half seemed like it had already been picked off by the dwarves. But, then the swarm of uruks broke through.

A huge black bar, there was no other way to describe it, rushed into the hall and crashed into the defenders.Most of the old company was together now, stapping off the orcs as long as they could. Ani Dao was bleeding again, but other then that they all seemed fine. Kili and Durin looked positivly happy. The orcs charged the compainy, and broke like waves on a rock, but soon, after what seemed like a lifetime of axe swings, decapitating fithly little goblins, and minor scraches, Gromfelt began to give ground. His limbs ached, and there seemed to be no end to the horde. "We can't hold them!" Bali yelled. "Now would be a good time to kill Kaldon." Astarielle echoed above the battle. Gromfelt hartly agreed, so long as he got a swing at the traitor. "No" Bali yelled, "Come on, in here. The hall is a lost cause."

[ April 18, 2003: Message edited by: Arvedui III ]
Old 04-18-2003, 10:47 AM   #266
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

Bali saw the enemies pouring through the gate. Knowing that it would be easier to defend the fortress if fewer Uruk Hai could get through, he ordered the company to retreat for the next passageway. This door was small, but thick and strong.

"We have little time until they break through this defense. Arlome, you, Belegond, Einin and Gromfelt must stay here with a group of elves. When the door collapses, do as much as you can, and then fall back to the hall straight away." A slight tremble entered Bali's voice, knowing that he may have condemmed members of his company to an almost certain doom.

"The rest of you, come back to the keep with me. We will organize guerilla resistance from the hall. I want small parties of defenders to wait at various passagways, and when enemies appear, launch a quick volley at them and disappear. We will continue moving backwards until they reach the hall. After that, we stand and fight for our families, and the lives of the people of Erebor."

As the group hurried up the stairs, bound for the keep, Bali stayed at the door with Arlome and the others for a moment. "Remember, just slow them down enough to give us time to get arrows and hatchets, and find our positions. Then run, and don't look back."

Arlome looked Bali straight in the eye, and when he answered, his voice showed that he was prepared for the worst. "We know what we must do, Bali. Go, lead the warriors to victory."

Bali looked around one final time at the warriors. "All of you have followed me from your homes. I will never forget you, should the worst come."

The dwarf grasped Arlome's hand in a vice-like grip. "Make them fear the name of Erebor!"

As Bali ascended the stairs, he caught a last glance from Belegond. The dwarf knew what they would do. The warriors would fight to the end. And as the arrived at the keep, he heard the haunting sound of splintering wood, and the clash of steel ringing out from below.

[ April 18, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 04-18-2003, 11:27 AM   #267
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

Pipe

Ani Dao had fought hard all morning and into the coming dawn alongside these people. She watched as they went down to the unmerciful swings of Uruk Hai scimitars and to the fatal poison stabs of goblin daggers. The assassin had endured it all, her focus not wavering. She could do nothing to prevent all deaths, but those she could, she would give her life to do so. She moved like a blur of madness, thrusting, stabbing, and slicing every foe that came within range of her slender sword. Ani Dao’s set of knives was constantly being spent and re-gathered. She didn’t know how much longer they would have to fight, but it was no secret that everyone was getting exhausted. Unless they could form some sort of stealth attack against these creatures, the people of Erebor were dead: and therefore Mirkwood was as well.

Quote:
"The rest of you, come back to the keep with me. We will organize guerilla resistance from the hall. I want small parties of defenders to wait at various passageways, and when enemies appear, launch a quick volley at them and disappear. We will continue moving backwards until they reach the hall. After that, we stand and fight for our families, and the lives of the people of Erebor."
Ani Dao collected her knives and fought back the last of her opponents. Then, sheathing her sword, she followed what was left of the dwarven army into the mountain. Turning back she saw Arlome, Einen, Belegond and Gromfelt preparing to take the on-comers. Four against the thousand that was sure to come? “No! Bali, I shall stay.[/I]”

“You will not! Go!!” His tone of voice implied that he knew more than she did. The elf took what she supposed to be her last look at the four she had become so close with and tears of frustration watered her eyes. Yelling out in anger, she slammed her fist into her hand and followed Bali. Fighting every nerve in her body to collapse and cry she made it into the first hall and listened as Bali gave the instructions. She found Burzdol among the group and moved to be beside him. The assassin needed all the strength she could get right now, and his love seemed like the best fuel. The sound of clashing metal and the dying yells of orcs and goblins echoed up to where the army waited. Eager glances were exchanged among the defenders. Ani Dao was pleased to see that none of the faces held fear. Instead, all of them held anger, and a purpose of victory. Weapons raised, they listened as Bali repeated his final instructions.

“Remember, a quick volley and then disappear. We don’t need anymore lives to be lost. Belegond, Arlome, Einen and Gromfelt are very skilled warriors. We will have a good bit of time before we have to meet our enemy, but when we do, fight wisely. This could be the last battle of Erebor. Strength!” he shouted, “and honor!!” A cheer of voices arose and the army dispersed quickly throughout the mountain to divide the Uruk Hai army into smaller targets. The elves gathered to meet them when they broke through the barricade. Arrows ready, the group of solemn defenders awaited the break-through.
Old 04-18-2003, 04:49 PM   #268
Dain Ironfoot
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Dain was still in one piece. His sides and back had been buffetted by many a harsh blow, but he had suffered no grievous wounds or broken limbs. His son Durin fought near his side. The lad, too, was still on his feet, swinging his axe with determination and grit. Still, their lungs screamed for air, and, like the others, they were not sure how long things could continue like this.

Dain had been positioned in such a way on the mountain that he could see the broad outline of the Uruk army as it made its way marching forward. That so few could stand against so many was indeed amazing. But how long could they last?

Dain crouched and waited for the final breakthrough. Even fighting was better than this infernal waiting. He thought for an instant of his wife whose safety depended on what happened today on this mountain. He took a quick glance over at his son and steeled his heart one more time.

Outside, he could hear the tramp of iron boots on stone and the dim sound of warriors running. But who these runners were and which way they headed, he could not tell. Dain wondered again how Belegond, Arlome, Einen, and Gromfelt fared. Then, without warning, there was a great crashing sound, again and again, as if a giant rod were being rammed against a barrier. For a number of minutes the barricade held. Then there was the sound of splinting wood and shrieks, along with the mingled voices of Uruk and goblins. All inside raged forward with weapons raised, eyes shot through with madness, waiting for the battle to begin anew.
Old 04-19-2003, 06:37 AM   #269
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

As the others departed Belegond took a last look at Yanithe, sadness was in her eyes but her face was strong. He was glad she did not have to stay, and although no-one said it, Belegond, Arlome, Einen and Gromfelt were likely to perish with the elevs as the numbers were too uneven. Last of all Bali went, he gave a final nod to Belegond and left. The door was giving way now and small axes and swords were poking through the doors. Arrows were being fired to keep them at bay.

“Arlome, Einen, Gromfelt!” he shouted before the on- comers broke in. “Fight well and do not give in, make them wish they had not lived to see us!” And with that the doors came crashing down. Uruks came in droves and Belegond shot as many as he could along with the elven archers. The slew many and the fell by the door and did not have a chance to fight. But alas he was running out of arrows and so were the rest of them. He soon changed to his daggers, plunging each one deep into the advancing Uruks. He could see none of his other companions just the elves scattered . As he went to kill another Uruk he saw the bodies of elves men and dwarves on the floor, it saddened him but he had no time to grieve or pay respect if he was to live through the onslaught. His companions must be lost in the sea of the enemy because now there were hundreds of them and the noise was defining. But he kept going.

As he went to kill another he felt a sharp pain in his arm, it had been slashed but not enough to stop him, he contiued.

[ April 19, 2003: Message edited by: Arien ]
Old 04-19-2003, 09:12 AM   #270
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

Earendil Halfelven's Post

"We know what we must do Bali. Go, lead the warriors to victory." He watched the rest of the company head up the hall. Goodbye, my friend, he thought. He knew that tonight, most likely, he would die.

Arlómë gripped his sword tightly. He no longer had his bow. He had lost it when the wall was blown. Besides, he had no more arrows, and by the look of things, he would not need the bow anymore anyways. He glanced at his companions-Belegond, Gromfelt, and Einen. He suddenly felt sad for Einen. The boy was young, and Arlómë had brought him to Erebor...to his death, probably. We walked over to Einen.
"Einen, I would not blame you if you joined Bali and the others. I have brought you here..."
"Arlómë," Einen said, cutting him off. "I do not regret joining you, of my own will. I would have no other honor than to fight beside you."
Arlómë nodded. There was nothing else he could say.

As the bangs on the door increased, Belegond said, "Fight well and do not give in, make them wish they had not lived to see us!"
"My friend Belegond, you do not have to worry. Soon, we shall join the Hall of our Fathers. Gromfelt, it is an honor to fight for Erebor. May your axe preserve you this night."

He looked at the other Elves there, the few Elves there. Their attention was on the door as it quickly gave in with a huge crash!

Uruks and goblins swarmed in. The Elven archers opened fire. The beasts in the front fell, pierced with many arrows, but the Uruks charged at such an awesome speed, that the archers had no time to reload. The sound of steel rang out along with yells and screams.

"FOR EREBOR! FOR ELENDIL!" yelled Arlómë. He wanted to make sure that rest of the company could hear the cry. Belegond, Gromfelt, Einen, and Arlómë charged forward.

Most of the Elves in the front were dead. Arlómë fought fiercely. He wanted to leave no Uruk alive. Many orcs lay dead, but more streamed in. It seemed as if there was a never-ending army of orcs.

As he pulled his sword out of a goblin's head, he heard a growl behind him. He swiftly turned. An orc faced him. Its sword swung toward his head, but Arlómë deflected it. As the orc's arm swung to the side as a result of Arlómë's blow, Arlómë charged in closely, plunging his sword into its stomach. The orc let out a deep groan, but it looked at Arlómë as it brought up its own sword. It was going to take Arlómë with it. Letting his sword stay in the belly of the orc, Arlómë reached up and with his right arm, grabbed the orc's sword hilt. With his left arm, he reached to his belt, pulled his knife, and slit the orc's throat.

As the orc fell to the ground, Arlómë pulled his sword out and looked up. There was a gap in the orc line. For a split second, it seemed as if they had stopped them. As if they had won. But then more orcs plunged in. These, Arlómë saw were archers.

He looked around for his 3 other companions. They were still with him, fighting with other Uruks. Einen looked at Arlómë. The young man was bleeding from a cut on his side, but he seemed to be ok. Then, Arlómë saw the ork archers take aim at his friends.
"Einen, get down!" Arlómë yelled.
Einen glanced back at the archers, then back at Arlómë. Their eyes met.
"Arlómë..." Einen began, but he was cut short. An arrow pierced him in the side of the head, then another into his chest. He fell to the ground...dead.

"NOOOOOO..." Arlómë charged forward. He saw Belegond meet an Uruks attack. The Ranger was wounded in the arm. Gromfelt, he did not see, but he hoped he still lived.

Arlómë cut down the front orc archers, but more filled in the gaps. He fought with a rage that he had never felt before. He fought on, no longer for Erebor, but for his friends who were there with him.

Suddenly, an arrow pierced him in the leg. Arlómë fell to the ground but he caught himself with his hands. He took his knives and threw them into the advancing orcs. He could hear the sound of Belegond fighting behind him. Somehow, orcs had gotten behind Arlómë without him noticing. And now with his wounded thigh, he could barely walk. He was surrounded.

He fought from his position on the ground, but it was useless. His wound sapped his strength from him, but still many orcs fell by his sword. He heard the zipping sound of an arrow soar throught the air, then plunge into his stomach. He dropped his sword...he no longer had the strength to wield it.

An orc approached, sword in hand. Arlómë watched it come. He could do nothing. He tried to pick up his weapon, but he could not. The orc stood above him, sword poised for the kill. This is it, Arlómë thought.
"ELENDIL..." Arlómë yelled. The orc cut him short, its sword in his chest.

He lay there. His life was fading. He could no longer hear Belegond fight. He could hear nothing. Orcs rushed past him to take on the others at the top of the hall. He could not even move. He couldn't even lift his head to see his wounded chest. Darkness gathered before his eyes. He was finally dying.

Suddenly, out of the darkness he heard his father's voice.
"Arlómë...Arlómë...Come, take your rest with your Fathers in the Halls of the Dunedain."
And with his last breath, Arlómë passed.

Arvedui III's post

Grom looked at Bali and others departing. This was it; There would be no respite, no rest, no chance to see the dawn. He knew what he had to do. They would have their time. Arlome and Belegond spoke, but he didn't hear them. He took a stance, and stared at the vast blackness that came toward them. Flithy vermin! He thought. He took off his hat, and looked at Yanthie's patch still holding firm. So would he.
The uruks came, running blindly toward them. With a wild yell, "EREBOR!" He lost all thought, and swung his axe at the first line. Grom dodged a blade just in time to embed his weapon the creature's chest. Another orc already replaced him, making a lunge for Gromfelt's neck. Parry, repost, hack, swing, parry again, lunge. The cycle continued for what seemed an eternity until suddenly he heard Alorme yell, "Einen, get down!" " Archers! He though at once, but his reflexes came too late.

In mid-swing he felt something hit his shoulder then his chest hard, and he fell backwards, dropping his axe. A great uruk loomed over him, a evil grin on his face. Gromfelt was in such pain as he had never known, his limbs wouldn't respond. What could he do? The orc raised his sword, and Grom spat on him, there was nothing else for it. Then, Daggers!. As the orc lunged downward, two daggers inscribed with the blessings of Dale met his throat. However, as Grom got to his axe, another of the seemingly endless orcs stepped forward. He couldn't fight any longer, this was clear. The arrow had caused such pain. With a last hoarse cry, " Kazad Ai-Menu! For Erebor!" he charged. The orc saw him coming, and cleaved upward, his blade getting past the fine armor.

The dwarf was dead before he hit the ground.

b]SAVE for death scenes[/b]

Arien, I need yours only.

Himaran

[ April 19, 2003: Message edited by: Himaran ]
Old 04-19-2003, 09:18 AM   #271
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

Bali loaded his belt with fresh hatchets and knives. Shouldering his axe, the dwarf hurried to a fairly strategic position above one of the main stairwells. Next to him was a large bucket, filled with old kitchen oil. When lit, it would effectively explode.

Bali listened to the sound of conflict. He picked out the war cries of the Dunedain, along with those of elves and dwarves. "Baruk Ak Kazad! Kazad Ai Menu! Elendil!"

But soon a dreadful silence came, followed by the pounding of footsteps coming up the stairs. Bali lit a small candle and held it burning in his hand. When he saw that the maker of the noise was not a friend but sadly a Uruk, Bali dropped the candle into the bucket, slammed the lid, and kicked it down the stairs; knocking over the Uruk as it tumbled downwards. Seconds later, an explosion from below rocked the cavern.

The Uruks came up the stairwell fiercely. Bali caught the first with his axe and fliped the creature over it, then hurled a hatchet at a second. After slaying two more, Burzdol and Astarielle appeared, launching arrows from above him; and giving Bali enough time to run to safety. He threw a knife and two more hatchets before slamming the door and running up into another passageway with his companions.

"We must keep them moving, popping up at intersections and confusing them. We must bide time. The Gondorian army should arrive soon, and then the tide will turn." The three hurried off to their next ambush point.
Old 04-19-2003, 11:32 AM   #272
Kili
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Kili, Durin and Dain were ready to fight those which came up there stair. As soon as they heard the door crash down they knew what was coming. They could hear the sound of heavy footsteps coming.

"For Erebor," said Kili raising his sword.

"For Erebor," they all shouted raising ther axes high.

"Good luck Belegond, my friend." Kili wispered to himself as the onslaught came. He blessed hi sword against his forehead and face the oncoming Uruks.
Old 04-19-2003, 03:26 PM   #273
Frodess
Haunting Spirit

Frodess has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Yanithë left with the others. She looked back at each of them in turn (Gromftelt was still wearing the hat with the patch), and finally she looked back at Belegond.

We shall get through this.

She followed the others, no time for thought. She marveled at the pure strength and valor of Ani Dao. Bali was courageous as ever. The others made her brave, for each was ever so valiant in battle.

"For the land I left behind, and for the land yet to come! For hope!" she cried. Yanithë whipped out her sword (until then she had used her arhery equipment). A barrage of orcs and other creatures of malevolence swarmed at the group like so many bees.

They will facemysting!

Strike, and dodge, stike and dodge. It was becoming to her as a graceful dance, and she performed it well. Swinging and side-stepping. Hitting and ducking. All manoeuvres were useful.

She continued this dance, holding on only by sheer adrenaline. The usual place for a blow was the heart or the head. But sometimes she reached for extremities.

Orcs responded in full, and flew upon her with blind malice. It seemed as though these creatures were preternaturally attracted to her. But it mattered not; she would destoy all who came her way. That is, until an Uruk got in the way.

The Uruk-hai sauntered up to her, and the other orcs ran off. The two flew into a battle of stenght and wit, for it knew enough to dodge her blows, and anticipated other moves. She finally gave the creature a great blow to the leg, and in turn, it severed off her sword hand.

In shock, she picked up the sword held in her severed hand and flew at the creature in a dumbfounded rage. She succeeded in lopping off its head, then she ran off for temporary cover. There the swordswoman made a tourniquet for her hand. She picked up her bloodied sword in her other hand, her right, and resumed her fight.
Old 04-19-2003, 05:42 PM   #274
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
Sting

Durin stood at the top of a long flight of stairs with Kili and his father along side him. As the hall below silenced, Durin held his breath, hoping, but as the foot steps came up the stairs he greived, for it was only the Uruks.

He looked at the others and then held his axe up, waiting for the enemy to reach the top. Once they did, the three slashed at them, their weapons flying through the air. Durin slammed them into the walls, their bones crunching as the felt his axe strike against their ribs. As Durin jumped aside, missing being hit by inches, he felt another Uruk's weapon, peirce his leg. He swung at it, hitting it atop the head, and crushing its skull as he nelt down slightly to feel the raw flesh of his leg. He growled feircly and went after the others, not wanting to slow down just because he had been hurt, there was too much on the line.
Old 04-19-2003, 08:38 PM   #275
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

Bali had fought hard. Blood was streaming from multiple wounds, and the dwarf was exhausted both physically and mentally. He had watched brave warriors fall in combat with a ruthless foe. Soon his small army had retreated to the last keep.

The sounds of Uruk Hai outside the door suddenly silenced. From the light steps, Bali knew a man was approaching. A voice rang out the every member of his company knew and loathed. It was that of Kaldon Finnlo.

"Fighters of Erebor, you have fought bravely. But you are now surrounded, and nearly destroyed. I will give you no chance for surrender, for you have already refused the offer before. I will utterly destroy you."

But even as he spoke, the sound of clear ringing trumpets rang out from outside the fortress. To the defenders it was like a fresh breath of air after having been locked in a closet for a year. Gondor had come at last.

Their pennets ran high, and the warriors charged into the Uruks. Two-thousand experienced fighters met the surprised enemy, crashing through their ranks. The Uruk Hai were mowed to the ground. Swarms of arrows poured into them.

Having destroyed the force that was on the open field, the army entered the gate, slaying any Uruk within the courtyard. A second group entered the mountain, scattering the enemy as it charged up the stairwells and spread out through the mountain.

The doors of the keep were flung open. Bali and his warriors charged at the Uruks one last time, wreaking havoc on their ranks. The dwarf made for Galdon, who was running towards a far stairwell. Bali's well-thrown hatchet ended the man's reign. During the fighting, Kaldon disappeared.

The entire force of Uruk Hai, mostly lost in the strange passages of Erebor, was slaughtered; and the threat was ended. The Gondorians, however, refused to stay at the mountain. The general had orders to march north, and destroy the fortress of Galdon Finnlo; now left unprotected.

The elves that had been at Erebor left for their homes the following morning, but the members of Bali's company stayed. It took a week to clear away the carcasses of the slain Uruks, and purge the mountain of their blood. The bodies of Einin, Arlome, Belegond and Gromfelt were found crushed to the floor amid swarms of dead Uruks. Their end was cruel, but none-the-less a heroic one.

Bali then held a grand feast in mountain, and a long celebration for its deliverance. At the banquet, Bali organized for a ceremony, and the rewarding of the company for the journey they made. His speech was thus.

"Warriors, companions, friends; all are titles of which you are worthy. All of you have come here from far away, risking your lives to save Erebor. You are brave, selfless, and honorable in the highest standard."

Here the dwarf had trouble continuing, being soft at heart. "I... regret the loss of several members of our company. But they did what was needed of them, giving us the time to collect what we needed to fight. Without their great sacrifice, the outcome would have been far different. May the Valar look graciously upon them.

And now, I will give you the repayment which you deserve. I have a special gift for each member of the company.

Burzol, I have for you a ring. It is made of mithril, with a blue gem set in the center.

Astarielle, I have for you and Hathalas new bows. They are all fasioned with gold around the handle. May they serve you well in battle.

For the dwarves, Dain, Durin, and Kili, I have new axes. All are single edged, but with jewels set on the top. They, too, have a golden hilt.

Ani Dao, I have for you a knife. It has a long slender blade, and a simple handle of wood. However, it has a mithril gem on the bottem of the handle. May it fly straight and true into the necks of your enemies!

Eruantalon, I know you are a great musician. I have for you a special instrument; a flute with ruby buttens."

The man took the flute, looked it over and began to play a song. It was not a sad song, or one of mourning, nor one of joy or great happiness. The song was one simply of peace. And what a wonderful thing it was!

When the song was over, and the round of loud applause, Bali finished what he was saying. "And, for all of you, I have a large amount of gold and jewels for each person. The amounts are strictly equal.

You may stay here as long as you like. We at Erebor would love to have you stay. But, if you wish to leave, so be it. May all your works in middle-earth go well." Bali then shook the hand of each member; and cheers rang throughout the hall.

Arien's Post

The Enemy was getting less and less now but so were the defenders. Just a few were left standing. He searched around for the other but they were not standing. A few more came but now everything was earily silent. And then the horns came.

"The Gondorians are here!" he heard an elfs voice cry out. His heart leaped for joy, they had won the mountian and now all was safe. He searched the carnage for his companions and found them dead strewn across the floor. The elves left and went out side and he was the only one there. Then he heard a voice cry out.

"Belegond!" he looked to the top of the stairs, it was Yanithe. She ran down to him but before she could get to him a half dead uruk thatlaid on the floor pulled her down. Belegond saw it but could not stop it. She cried ot for help but before she knew it a knife was being held to her throat. The uruk snarled at him and kissed Yanithes head. Belegond was filled with rage and tried to fire an arrow but his left arm he could use no longer. She was struggling hard but it seemed as though this uruk still wanted to kill no matter what. Belegond ran to the two and the uruk drew his sword closer to her neck.

The Belegond picked up a dagger from the floor and aimed it a the uruk. It hit him in the centre of the forehead and he roared out loud. Belegond then smiled at Yanithe and walked back to his bow. But he never reached it.

"No" screamed Yanithe as the uruk with one last dying breath plunged his sword into Belegonds back. At first he did not know what was happening but then he placed his hands on his stomach and felt the blood and blade. The uruk fell behind him and so Belegond fell against the wall. He could feel life rushing away from him. He could hear a soft voice.

"Belegond, please open your eyes, Belegond!" he opened them and Yanithe beside him. Tears filled her eyes.

"I...I am sorry..."

"What for?" she asked tears streaming down her face.

"For.." he could taste blood in his mouth and it was haed to speak"....for not being here now, not being able tobe with you, I have caused you another great pain.."

"No, no you havnt..."

Belegond reached into his pocket and pulled out her brooch then pointed at his chain.

"here"he said giving the horse to her, "and give this to Kili..."

She lent forward and embraced him and he did so back.

"I love you"she wispered.

"I..l..love you to" he said. And with that his last dying breath he passed away.

[ April 20, 2003: Message edited by: Himaran ]
Old 04-20-2003, 11:43 AM   #276
Dain Ironfoot
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Dain shook his head. He was a seasoned warrior with many a campaign under his belt. But there had been so much death in this place. His heart held great sadness. So many had perished fighting the Uruk, and defending Erebor and Mirkwood against the shadows of the night.

His fingers slid along the blade of the great axe with jewels inlaid that Bali had presented to him. He would treasure it, as much for the memories it brought as for any intrinsic worth.

Yet he was luckier than most. His son still lived and breathed and walked the earth. What more could a dwarf desire? His new friend Kili lived. His wife awaited in the halls of his home, a home that stood intact with no unwelcome tromp of Uruk feet.

And, yet, how much different would it have been if there had been no Kaldon. His body had not been found, and one could only presume that he had escaped. But where and how? There were no clear signs.

Still, how many would be alive today if the traitor had not come among them, and slowed their path, and sewed dissension at every step? Even in the joy of victory, amid the songs of jubilation, Dain swore he would not rest until the traitor Kaldon had been laid in the dust, never to rise. For there would be no honored place in the halls of Aule for one such as he. And Dain knew his kinsman well enough to say that Bali would feel the same way. For all he knew, he might already be plotting some secret revenge.

Until that time, till he was called upon again, he would dwell in peace within his own halls, and use his hands and wits to do what he loved best with the fashioning of metals and precious jewels.
Old 04-20-2003, 01:20 PM   #277
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Burzdol took the ring fro Bali. "And for you, my friend. A pipe, engraved in gold and silver." The elf stepped out to give the dwarf the pipe.

Suddenly, a stir turned everyone. One of Kaldon's only men left an arrow loose, missing Bali. Ani Dao's new knife slipped into the spy's throat. The group went to the now dead spy, who was stowed away in an old crate. The only one who hadn't went to see was Burzdol. The elf sat down with a ring that would go to Ani Dao. As if on call, Ani Dao then rushed over to see why the elf hadn't come. Upon site, she burst into tears. Burzdol then pulled gave her the ring and recited:

"From women's yes,
This docture I derive,
The right permathian fire,
They are the books,
The arts,
The academes,
That shall contain and nurish all the world."

Oh, yeah," Burzdol said, "Will you marry me?"

[ April 20, 2003: Message edited by: Burzdol ]
Old 04-20-2003, 03:52 PM   #278
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

Frodess's Post

Arlómë and Einen were dead. So was Gromfelt, her first friend of the journey. She still remembered seeing him wearing the hat.

And he was gone. Belegond, the one she loved but barely knew, was dead. But it was not like the loss of the past. She knew that when she would think of him, she would smile, for he was now at peace.

I will see him again.

Yanithë gave Killi Belegond's chain, as he had asked.

"I never knew you well, but a friend of Belegond's is a friend of mine. As such, I feel I am in your debt." Yanithë also gave him most of her share of jewels. When she had finished, a small dwarf by the name of Bifin approached her.

"He wanted you to have it," he explained as he gave her Gromfelt's hat. She bowed to him respectfully, and put the hat on her own head. Her brooch she held tightly.

Three days had passed. She needed the time to recooperate. She knew her severed hand would make things difficult, but she would find a way to work around it.

Finally, it was time to leave. She found Bali outside, and spoke to him.

"Sire, I thank you for allowing me to be part of your company, and for everything. I must leave now. I'm going home. If ever you need me again, send word to Rohan, and there I shall be. Farewell!" With this, Yanithë mounted her steed and turned to the west, beginning the long journey which lay ahead of her.

I'm going home.

[ April 20, 2003: Message edited by: Himaran ]
Old 04-20-2003, 04:09 PM   #279
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

Maikafanawen's Post

Ani Dao burst into tears anew and threw her arms around Burzdol’s neck, kissing him all over. When she pulled away, Burzdol looked at her comically and asked,

“Does that mean yes?” Ani Dao nodded and pulled him close again, kissing him slower. Burzdol slid the ring on her finger. Wow, thought Ani Dao, of all the things to happen on this expedition, this was least expected.

“Where to now?” asked Ani Dao, examining her new ring.

“Easy,” said Burzdol taking her hand. “Mirkwood. We go home. There we can get married, and then we’ll decide what to do. Do whatever you please. We could travel again, or, just stay put for a while.” Ani Dao smiled.

“Fine, I’ll get packed.” Burzdol cupped her face in his hands and looked into her deep blue eyes.

“I love you.” Smiling ecstatically to herself, Ani Dao was given back her knife and returned to her room. The assassin stuffed her belongings into a leather bag as quickly as she could, then slung it over her shoulder. Waiting for her at the bottom of the stairway was her future husband. The thought beguiled her. She was thrilled. When she had come on this trip she was Ani Dao, rebellious maverick she-elf assassin of Mirkwood. Now she was completely transformed. And I belong, she thought incredulously. Taking Burzdol’s arm they made their way to the stables, where Bali had given them a pair of horses for their ride back to Mirkwood.

“Thank you, but I think one will do just fine,” said Burzdol, taking the reins of a beautiful white steed. He climbed on, and Ani Dao mounted behind her. “Shall we?”

Off into the sunset rode the elves, the oranges, reds, and yellows pointing the way towards a new life: a life of happiness, of love, and of peace. The horse’s strides were steady and sure. When they reached the top of a hill that looked over the forest of Mirkwood, and when one looked back could see the proud mountain of Erebor, Burzdol stopped the horse and dismounted. Ani Dao looked at him confused.

“Something wrong?” Burzdol shook his head and extended his arm, gesturing for her to get down. In one graceful leap, she stood beside him. He pointed into the sunset.

“Let’s not go home, just yet,” he draped an arm around her shoulders and she sighed.

“What more do you want to do? We’ve seen the Shire, stayed in Bree and Rivendell, been attacked by bandits, climbed Charadras, walked through Mirkwood, and fought successfully against an army of fifteen thousand Uruks alongside dwarves,” she counted off each event on her fingers. Burzdol took the remaining three in his hand and kissed them.

“Yes, but, we haven’t watched one…romantic…sunset,” said Burzdol. The two shared another kiss as the firey orb sank behind the golden treetops of Mirkwood.

Kili's Post

Kili sat in his quaters, he had packed everything and was ready to make his way to Ithilien to bury Belegonds ashes near his father. That is what he had always to Kili. But Kili had never expected him to die so young, and their friendship although a long one seemed to short. Then he heard a knock on his door. And Yanithe entered.

"Belegond bade me give you this." she handed the chain to him.

"Thankyou my lady," Kili placed it around his neck. As Yanithe was about to leave he said "Yanithe wait. Belegonds ashes will be buried in the woods of Ithilien you can come there any time you want."

She smiled at Kili, "Thankyou, maybe one day I will, but for now I return home.." and with that and a quick farewell she left.

Kili collected his belongings and made his way down to the hall were he met Bali and the rest of the company.

"Goodbye all, you have all become dear friends to me and I am sad to leave but I must put my best friend to rest." he nodded at the silver jar he clasped between his hands.

"Well then goodluck," said Bali embracing him.

"Thankyou, and farewell."

Kili made his way out of the mountain and smelt the fresh air. First he would go to Rohan where Duelen would be. She would be truely upset to learn of Belegonds death, and then he would ride her to Ithilien.

"Ahh Erebor saved, but at a cost..." he sighed and walked of down the cobbled road to Rohan.

Astarielle's Post

Astarielle sat gazing over the battlefield. Her eyes wondering over the strewn bodies of the Uruks, not lingering on the scene of death, to Mirkwood her true home. Astarielle was undecided about where to go or what to do. Her heart told her to go back to Mirkwood and find solace under the eaves of the wood but something inside her forbade her. She stood, her hands leaning on the cold scarred battlements. She did not belong here nor there. As the sun's last glittering rays fell behind the hill, Astarielle knew that her time her had also set.

Swiftly climbing down, Astarielle entered the mountain for the last time. Torches were lit along the corridor, giving off a muted glow. Most of the company had already left but Astarielle went to find Bali.

"You my friend have changed my view on Dwarves and your craft forever. Thankyou, I will never forget the troubles and hardship we faced together."

Astarielle had never felt so sincere in her entire life, but somehow it pleasded her. Her heart warmed. She didn't wait for Bali to reply but left swiftly and silently to the stables. She mounted her horse and galloped to the front of the gate. Holding her sword high, Talhandir reared up, before plunging off into the night, in a final salute. She did not know where she was headed but always in heart there was a special place for all the the company, those that lived and those that fell, forever.

[ April 22, 2003: Message edited by: Himaran ]
Old 04-20-2003, 04:23 PM   #280
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

Kaldon sat on a flat rock, looking back at the mountain. The man had escaped during the fighting. He had hidden in a small crack in the wall until one of his men caused a distraction. The man had escaped by climbing out a window and descending the dangerous slope with nothing more than his knives.

His father was dead, their army destroyed, and his palace soon to be ruined. But somehow, Kaldon knew that it was better this way. He had never been one to sit in the fortress and drink wine, slouching on a throne while others carried out his every command. He was a loner, who trusted no one.

Kaldon turned back to take a final look at Erebor. You won, Bali, and my best wishes to your further life. Just don't cross the path of Kaldon Finnlo again. Next time, you won't be as lucky.

Smiling inwardly to himself, as he so often did, he went away over the hill, bound south. And so he remained what he had always been: a strange man with an unknown mission.

It had been two full months since the last of Bali's company had left the mountain; with the exception of Eruantalon and the dwarves that lived there. Each had gone their way, with Burzdol and Maikafanawen leaving together for Mirkwood. Bali knew that they would share a happy life together.

But much as the dwarf loved his brother and father, he felt the need to walk again, to travel vast exspanses of land. He knew that he had to go.

His father guessed the troubles that were on his mind, one day when Bali was staring out the window, over the open plain. "Bali, I know what is in your heart. You are a born traveller."

Dwalin then appeared. "But Bali, you are the firstborn. When the dwarf-lord dies, he has no children, and you are the rightfull ruler. You are a born leader, brother."

Bali put one arm on Dwalin's shoulder. "Aye, good dwarf, but I would tire of sitting on a throne, and not being able to travel. It is you who was meant to rule Erebor, when the time comes. Do not be sad! I will return. But I must travel again, until I feel that it is my time to rest here, crafting weapons with my friend Dain."

The next morning, Bali said his goodbyes to Dain, Durin, Kili, Dwalin, and his father. He and Eruantalon set out from the mountain, bound east. They stopped in the field to look upon the graves of their dead comrades. But then they moved off, becoming to small specks in the distance. And so the fellowship was broken; having completed its mission. For it had completed its journey, and had conquered road to Erebor.

[ April 21, 2003: Message edited by: Himaran ]