The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2007, 08:39 AM   #601
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Nice title with the astronomers discvering that girl was the centre of the universe, makes me think of those stupid spoiled girls from My Super Sweet 16 series on MTV. I hate it how some people get much more then they deserve.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:47 AM   #602
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
:O:O I never posted that on the Downs... Somebody's been spyi- Ouch, ouch! I'll be qu- Ouch! Hey stop it! Ouch! Hey! Ouch! Give... Ouch! Me... Ouch! A pie... Ouch! Ce - haha, missed - of paper!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The note
I never rapped, it's all a fraud (and neither was the one who blew up Davem's car (in case you noticed))! And anyway, that's not me in the picture. I demand that you set me free! I don't want to be such a quiet ordo, simply innocent will do.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:59 AM   #603
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
The picture was posted anonymously to me by Oddwen.

I like the fact that everyone is too shocked to really say anything about Alien's recent behaviour.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:26 AM   #604
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I love how Volo's beating himself up over it... ;P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond18 on another thread
You are evil.
My siblings have been saying that for years.

Here's the full-size pic:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ninfuneral.jpg

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:57 AM   #605
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen View Post
Nice graffiti there!
Old 12-04-2007, 08:01 PM   #606
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
That's an even better photo than the original...

Hey, rap isn't all bad. Once you stick your ear outside US rap, you can find some nice beats with elements of reggae, ska, etc.

... I imagine Tom Bombadil was thrown in for some offense of trip-rock and folk.

~ MusiKa
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:42 PM   #607
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
White Tree

OH NO!!!!!!!!!!! Now Alien has Slave Children?!?!?!....................................

...What next?
Old 12-10-2007, 03:49 AM   #608
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up If you don't read it, you won't be sick...

This week, The Might gets the Downer treatment...

Alien is thinking of starting a restaurant...

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 09-13-2009 at 03:02 AM.
Hookbill the Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:05 AM   #609
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I liked the diet pill just a laxative title...
Guess that's a way of losing weight too.

What I can't really understand is why the story has to end with a fire-related disaster?!
I are corrupt politician, but I are no arsenist.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:11 AM   #610
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
I don't understand why, but this week's P&A is especially dear to me.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:01 AM   #611
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Well, you may have noticed that last week's P&A has had to be uploaded on the Downs rather than TinyPic. That's because it was the first ever Phantom and Alien to be removed. So, episode 69 is the 'banned' episode.
If nothing else, I've discovered what 'the line' is in terms of what these characters can do. Apparently, burning people alive, killing dogs, and selling other people's houses is fine, but slave children is going too far.

Anyway,

Christmas is coming up and I'm doin' an extra special Downer. If you have an article you want on the front page, PM it to me. It can be up to 250 words long but it must be funny. You can even include a picture.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:12 PM   #612
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

What I really want to know, is why I was in the cancer ward to begin with, and why it was a lung?
Are you implying something, "Pritchard"?

Quote:
What I can't really understand is why the story has to end with a fire-related disaster?!
Interesting point.

There seems to be a pattern of things of importance ending with fire in The Downer... Sort of like a trend, plus, fire tends to sell, apparently because we're all reading it.
Though, fires tend to make good report endings, and they do appear quite a lot in LOTR, come to think of it. There's the shire and saruman incident, denethor taking a dive, Balrog!, pretty much anything Sauron owned at one point or another(including himself), etc...

So there you are, full circle or three quarters of the way but still good enough, reasoning why fire appears in The Downer this week. Probably next week, and the week after that. We just need fire endings, its in our nature.

Also, I'll need my lung back actually. I use it as a carrying case for paint now.

~ Organs for conversational pieces Ka
Old 12-11-2007, 11:38 PM   #613
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
*coughcough* Just because I found a photo editing program that I like...have to go an' spoil my fun...not m'fault 'm a nat'ral-born stalker...mumble...

Yeah, Hookbill has a weird obsession with fire...here's the proof.

Look at the poor forest animals in the background...and one of them appears to be hurt even...

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:52 PM   #614
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Hmmm, there seems to be a connection with the Fellow/Galship of the Entish Bow here - the persons involved there also have a propensity for constant destruction. They do, additionally, prefer their fires to originate from explosions...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:05 AM   #615
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Yes, you found me out. My super power is producing large pink balloon shape things.

And Fire tends to be how a lot of Downer articles end. Some suspect it has something to do with Mr Pritchard's previous convictions for arson... But that can't be the case... Nothing has been proved!

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 12-12-2007 at 04:14 AM.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:01 PM   #616
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Some suspect it has something to do with Mr Pritchard's previous convictions for arson... But that can't be the case... Nothing has been proved!
Or its just too obvious that it'll waste good gossip colomn space in The Downer, or the front page...
Until then, he'll just have to keep randomly preparing explosive runes and what have you, for our entertainment.
If he was noticibly caught, we wouldn't have any more great explosions, etc, and thus the very existance of our humor might come into danger. I as one, am not willing to give that up.

~ Just passing by Ka
Old 12-13-2007, 01:11 AM   #617
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots

Quote:
Some suspect it has something to do with Mr Pritchard's previous convictions for arson... But that can't be the case... Nothing has been proved!
Perhaps he set the proof on fire?
Old 12-14-2007, 03:57 PM   #618
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
I've always wondered. We're sure to find out. I mean, he's never commented on the other down right outrageously offensive material I've published here. Lets see how far it will go before I wake up with a horse's head in my bed...
I hope you've got a big wheelie bin* and some clean sheets...davem heard me laughing and his radar have been alerted...

*or alternatively a big freezer, might make a nice change from Turkey on Christmas Day, some Horsehead Pie...
Old 12-16-2007, 12:40 AM   #619
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Well, you may have noticed that last week's P&A has had to be uploaded on the Downs rather than TinyPic. That's because it was the first ever Phantom and Alien to be removed. So, episode 69 is the 'banned' episode.
If nothing else, I've discovered what 'the line' is in terms of what these characters can do. Apparently, burning people alive, killing dogs, and selling other people's houses is fine, but slave children is going too far.
Oh Hookbill, Don't push the mods, maybe they'll notice! You don't want to upset them, or kill chat skwerlz(of course you're on topic, so I guess they're okay!)
But in any case, Is that you as in a picture of the fire and bubble gum everywhere? As in an actual photograph...so that I can say that I know what Hookbill the Goomba looks like!
Old 12-16-2007, 03:44 AM   #620
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
But in any case, Is that you as in a picture of the fire and bubble gum everywhere? As in an actual photograph...so that I can say that I know what Hookbill the Goomba looks like!
Of course. But I has a picture on the Barrow Downs Photo page:
The Magical painting of Doom, I call it.

The photo page is always a source of newspaper pictures. So beware before you post any there.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:43 AM   #621
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Ahem...where might one find the 'banned' cartoon, should one ahem...wish to see it? Is there a brown paper bag equivalent somewhere off site...ahem....

Old 12-16-2007, 05:51 AM   #622
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

No, I just uploaded it onto the Downs...

http://forum.barrowdowns.com/attachm...7&d=1197210368

Is that 'brown paper bag equivalent' enough for you?

Speaking of The Phantom and Alien... this year's Christmas special will BLOW YOUR MIND!
Me and my brother have just started on it and I can tell you it's lookin' g-e-w-d GEWD!
So watch out on Christmas Day for the continuing adventures of Bournemouth's eighth favorite comedy Duo.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:19 AM   #623
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
No, I just uploaded it onto the Downs...

http://forum.barrowdowns.com/attachm...7&d=1197210368

Is that 'brown paper bag equivalent' enough for you?

Speaking of The Phantom and Alien... this year's Christmas special will BLOW YOUR MIND!
Me and my brother have just started on it and I can tell you it's lookin' g-e-w-d GEWD!
So watch out on Christmas Day for the continuing adventures of Bournemouth's eighth favorite comedy Duo.
Cheers Mister 'ookbill, there'll be a nice shiny tenner in it for yer, nudge, nudge, wink, wink....just don't tell Gene Hunt dahn at the Met...

Alright....so we've now got two Chrimbo specials to look forwards too! Huzzah!
Old 12-17-2007, 04:19 AM   #624
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

The Eye

It just keeps going...

An experimental episode of the Phantom and Alien now...

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 09-13-2009 at 03:03 AM.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:41 PM   #625
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Of course. But I has a picture on the Barrow Downs Photo page:
The Magical painting of Doom, I call it.

The photo page is always a source of newspaper pictures. So beware before you post any there.
Well first of all Hookbill, that is an awesome picture (you can see my teenageness in that) and second my parents would kill me if I put my picture up on the internet even if it was on the Downs, because you might even be a stalker out to kill me or something....

And how in the world do get a Phantom and Alien cartoon with out Alien or even without Phantom? And who the heck are those other guys?(and yes one of them does look like one of the earliest Downers)
Old 12-23-2007, 12:43 PM   #626
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Wait I think I just figured it out one of them is SPM and the other is Gil-Galad! HAHA
Old 12-23-2007, 04:34 PM   #627
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
do i smell a SPM and Gil-Galad spin off!!!
Old 12-24-2007, 03:21 AM   #628
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Pipe It's Christmas on the Downs... 'parently.

Who ordered the extra large newspaper?

Thanks to Oddwen, Aganzir and Lommy for the other stories.

This week, Diamond requested that her cats be involved some how. Despite my claims that animals that go anywhere near Alien usually end up dead, she insisted. So, here is what happened...

Tune in tomorrow for the exciting, excruciating, exerstential episode of the Phantom and Alien just for Christmas...

It's going to be another animated episode. In case you missed the first one, here it is again, in all its colourful magical glory.

Here's hoping it doesnt make you sick.

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 12-24-2007 at 05:02 AM.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:32 AM   #629
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Aha, so that's where the Entwives went!
Really, the article made me laugh, especially because it's so true. Next thing you know you'll find out Beorn had an affair with one of the ponies.

Well, as you see on the picture I at least had the pharao-like scepters in the hand when I was on the throne.

And as for the Phantom and Alien episode, is it me or has Alien bought himself a white hat which he later painted red with blood to make it look like a Christmas hat ?!
Because something like that is pretty much his style.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:17 PM   #630
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

That doesn't look like an Entwife to me, but of course I've never seen one!
.................................................. .................................................. .......
.................................................. ....................
.................................................. ............
.................................................. .....
.................................................. .........................................
.................................................. .................................................. ................
.................................................. ................................................
...Maybe I'm just crazy?
Old 12-25-2007, 12:31 AM   #631
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

This paper deserves a big helping of Awwwh's.

First of all, phantom & alien this monday is wonderful! Merry and Pip are adorable, even in this form. Though, I can't imagine anyone besides Alien having the conscious choice to give them that much catnip.

Also, 'Awh' to the Entwife. I don't see the reason to disapprove, she's lovely, spring as a spruce, jolly as holly and other things that end in... -olly. Besides, how often do any of us see an Entwife, let alone in the Downer? The rights of the Entwife should be respected.

~ Ka Again
Old 12-25-2007, 03:00 AM   #632
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
I must say this really made my Christmas merrier I could have expected this coming, though I was still surprised when seeing that article.

I didn't know such a big affair would arise from that...

"Smrk", now that's great! It must have taken some effort to find this

Yet I just realised - all these previous marriages (and this one as well, while speaking of it) have been the work of Agan & Lommy! See: first I was married to Idril, that was in their WW village. Then I married that wolf, that was not exactly their idea but Nogrod's, yet one never knows whether there was not more behind it. And now this thing with the tree. Agan and Lommy for some reason unknown to me obviously desperately want me to get married.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 05:08 AM   #633
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
It must be some kind of a maternal instict...

But Legate, why is your wife crying? Have you been mean to her or is she just so happy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Might
And as for the Phantom and Alien episode, is it me or has Alien bought himself a white hat which he later painted red with blood to make it look like a Christmas hat ?!
According to the slowly increasing amount of blood, I'd say someone has hit him on the head. I guess he deserved it.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:04 AM   #634
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
But Legate, why is your wife crying? Have you been mean to her or is she just so happy?
The latter, of course. I wouldn't be mean to her in any case - I am always a gentleman, especially towards trees.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 12-25-2007, 11:20 AM   #635
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Well, the Phantom and Alien Christmas Special was lost in the depths of space. But worry not, good people. Last night three members of the Downer staff got stuck behind the fridge in the basement. It took three lorries and a crane to set them lose, and once we did, we discovered an old film can with this inside it:

Before they were famous, before they were feverish, before they were funny, it's...

THE PHANTOM AND ALIEN ANIMATED CHRISTMAS SPECIAL

Hope you all enjoy watching it.
Credit to my older brother Matt for the animation, music and the voice of Sir Phantom. I did the script, story board and the voice of Mr Alan.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:47 PM   #636
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Thats crazy Hookbill, it just stops and did you rename Alien!
Old 12-26-2007, 02:04 PM   #637
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
Thats crazy Hookbill, it just stops and did you rename Alien!
Haven't you seen this edition of the Downer?
Alien is his real name, but Alan is his 'stage name'*. It was all the rage back then to have a stage name.

*As apposed to his 'Strange name' which was Albertousnuss.

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 12-26-2007 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:30 PM   #638
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Or rather Albertosaurus?
I can definitely see some similarities in there.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:16 PM   #639
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Haven't you seen this edition of the Downer?
Alien is his real name, but Alan is his 'stage name'*. It was all the rage back then to have a stage name.

No because I am a rather new member compared to say you because I only first signed on in August, and I read the first two pages of this thread and then I went on to well September I think was the first time I actually read the Downer. "Thang you very buch."

And yes I do know of stage names and when you write with a different name, I don't have a stage name even though I've been in plays since fifth grade and considering that I am in eighth now I have been in ummm... four plays and a musical.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:40 PM   #640
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

That was brilliant.

My hat is off to the performance of the balloon as well, they had such perfect stance and balance. A good supporting role...

~ Intrigued Ka