Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-18-2002, 01:35 PM   #81
Leighlei
Haunting Spirit

Leighlei has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Leighlei
Silmaril

"What are you doing?" The warden asked. Quickly, she grebbed his neck and yanked him foreward, then swiped his weapon from his hands. "I'm escaping." She told him, twisting his head until she heard a resounding crack and he sagged to the floor. She used the stolen weapon to pick the lock, but the elf girl wasn't free yet. She ran as soon as she was free down the nearest hall. She saw two newcomers and slowed, noticing their garb was different than that of the officials. She halted then, a few feet away, and studied the other two elves. She perked her ears and furrowed her brow. One smelled like tears. She raised an eyebrow and then more guards came rushing from the hall she had come from, and she turned to face them, bravely weilding the small spear she had. "Come and get me you foul and bad excuses for guards!" She shreiked.
Old 04-18-2002, 03:26 PM   #82
Anarya SilverBranch
Wight

Anarya SilverBranch has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Anarya nodded at his reply, not knowing quite how to answer.

The Healer came back with the poultice and applied it to Mornovarion.

"There," He said smiling, "That ought to do it," He turned to Anarya wiping his hands on his aproun, "How do you know this elf?" He asked.

"He's, um, my third cousin's son," She said with a fake smile, as she thought up the lie quickly, "From southern Mirkwood."

The healer looked at her warily, "Yes, I see. Well, he ought to have some rest now,"

"Alright, I'l stay here," Anarya said with the same pasty grin.

The healer nodded and walked off.

Anarya turned back to the elf, "Now we'll figure out what to do after you rest for a while, now don't go talking in your sleep of such matters that you just informed me of,"

Mornovarion nodded and closed his eyes.

Anarya rubbed her forehead wearily. She was getting a headache very quickly. How ever were they going to get out of this one.
She wished Novannon was there so she wounldn't be the only one to carry this information...
Old 04-18-2002, 04:45 PM   #83
LúthienTinúviel
Haunting Spirit

LúthienTinúviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to LúthienTinúviel Send a message via AIM to LúthienTinúviel
Sting

Tinuiel and Rûdhchamion halted and exchanged looks. The wild elf girl stopped and glared at them, but she was distracted by a force of guards that appeared behind her. She wheeled round, and, brandishing her spear, she screamed, "Come and get me you foul and bad excuses for guards!"

Tinuiel had only an instant to act. With lightning speed she drew her dagger, and less than a second later it was pressed against the escaped prisoner's throat. "I have no wish to harm you," Tinuiel whispered in the elf's ear. "But I cannot allow you to harm any of my kin. Drop your weapon, and I will see to it that you are treated with justice."
from dawn to dusk, from sun to sea.

http://www.thereandbackagain.net
Old 04-19-2002, 11:58 AM   #84
Nice-Smeagol
Animated Skeleton

Nice-Smeagol has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Mornovarion dreamed.
He dreamed of the foul tortures the orcs had put him under, he saw his family and friends strapped to nearby racks.He remembered about the figure that had entered the torture chamber. The orcs had stopped immedidietly and ran to cower and hide.The figure wore a long black cloak so that noone could see it's face. It had walked around the room studying everyone. Then it spoke in the Common Tongue, "If you wish to be relieved of your pain, speak up now. For I have a task for one of you."
Mornovarion had spoken first. He had been taken off the rack and brought into another room.He had been told if he would kill king Thranduil, he and his family would be granted their freedom. He had tried to say no, as he knew what the terrible consequences of the kings murder would be. Yet, he could not turn down the offer. The figure had laughed as if sensing his inner strugle. It was a cruel hissing sound as if someone had placed serpents in the thing's mouth. An orc had came in with a branding iron and had branded a sign on his arm.
The Eye.
He woke with a start to find he was not in the Dark Tower, but in the healers quarters. He felt his arm to feel if the mark of the branding was still there. It was. Then it hadn't been a dream, only a memory.

I'm evil I know, but hey, who's gonna stop me! Bwahahahahahahaha!
Old 04-19-2002, 12:33 PM   #85
Anarya SilverBranch
Wight

Sting

Anarya watched Mornovarion twist and turn, wishing that there was something she could do to ease his dreams.

Suddenly Mornovarion sat up abruptly rubbing his arm, sweating and breathing hard like he had been awoken by an awful dream. Anarya went to his side,

"It's alright," She said softly, trying to make the elf lie back down before he hurt himself, "It's going to be fine, really it is,"

"No it isn't!" Mornovarion said harshly, catching Anarya off guard, "It never will be, I will always be haunted, never let go of these memories. Never."

Anarya felt a tear slide down her cheek in compassion for the elf.

"No, you can let go of those memories. They don't hold you, you hold them," She said looking into the elf's ice blue eyes...
Old 04-19-2002, 02:42 PM   #86
Leighlei
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

The elf-girl smirked.
"Outwit me? Your kin are pigs!" She chuckled, she drove the blunt end of her spear back into her attacker's gut, surprising her, and then twisted, pinning her arm to her back. She moved her face near her neck, and smiled. "Justice does not exist here." She whispered into her flesh, then shoved her roughly away. She took a step back, catching wind of the male elf. She looked him over, a look of comprehension crossing her features, then, sensing a familiarity in him, whispered a plea. "Help me." She murmered. "Please." The guards were gathering around her, she glanced at The girl elf, then back at the male, and dropped her weapon, sensing a defeat. But she wouldn't let it end this way! Oh no, she was outsmarting these guards! She grabbed the male elf's arm and held tight, glaring. "Take me to justice then." She whispered to the elf-girl through clenched teeth. " NOW.... "

[ April 20, 2002: Message edited by: Leighlei ]
Old 04-20-2002, 01:22 PM   #87
LúthienTinúviel
Haunting Spirit

Send a message via ICQ to LúthienTinúviel Send a message via AIM to LúthienTinúviel
Sting

Tinuiel sighed. The wild girl only had one of her arms pinned, and she hadn't noticed Tinuiel's daggers. When the girl had grabbed Rûdhchamion, Tinuiel seized her chance. She drew her dagger, twisted back and brought the blunt end of the hilt down on the prisoner's head. The girl slumped over into Rûdhchamion's arms. The guards moved in, but Tinuiel held up a hand. "What has this girl done? She behaves as if she has been mistreated. We of the Green Wood do not mistreat our prisoners. Explain."

The guards eyed each other nervously, for Tinuiel was of noble blood and had the ear of the Prince. They whispered among themselves and then seemed to decide on the poor victim who would have to explain. They pushed forward a rather timid looking, young elf. He fumbled nervously with his spear. "I beg your pardon, Lady Tinuiel, but this girl was caught hunting in the forest. We..uh..had her brought to the prison..and..uh..she's been here ever since."

"Has she?" said Tinuiel. "I see. What is King Thranduil's judgment?"

The guard fidgeted even more nervously. "Well, we haven't exactly brought her before him yet."

"She had not been judged yet?" The guard quavered under Tinuiel's wrathful glare. "You know as well as I that it is law in this realm that prisoners be given swift judgment. We do not keep prisoners without reason. As you are all obviously unfit to take care of this girl, I will see to it myself."

The guards all exchanged looks. What the Lady was suggesting was not exactly allowed, but she looked so fearsome in her anger that none dared to rebuke her. The poor elf who'd been unwillingly elected spokesman nodded timidly. Then they all bowed to Tinuiel and left, muttering to each other.

Tinuiel sighed and turned to Rûdhchamion. "So, now I have two prisoners on my hands, and one with Anarya and the healers. What am I to do?" Rûdhchamion didn't answer. He laid the wild girl down on the ground and smoothed the hair from her face. "She'll wake up soon. You did not hurt her badly."

"That is well," said Tinuiel absentmindedly. She was thinking of the wild girl's eyes. They were fierce and almost animal like, but Tinuiel thought that she could see a glimmer of something beyond that fiercess, and it reminded her of her own eyes, and Rûdhchamion's, and Mornovarion's. The wild girl's eyes held the same kind of pain. The pain of one who has witnessed great evil done to loved ones, and lived to carry the guilt. Tinuiel sighed and repeated her question. "What am I to do? By law I have to bring you both before Thranduil immediately, but I fear that it will go ill with this girl, perhaps unfairly ill, if I do that now." She laughed bitterly. "So, where is my wisdom now? I fear it has abandoned me, or else is all used up." Just then, the girl stirred.

Old 04-20-2002, 11:41 PM   #88
Thalionyulma
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thalionyulma has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Rûdhchamion had been taken by surprise by the elven girl. Both by her plea for help, and her fierceness. She had a mane of a hair that reminded him of wildfire, but it had been her eyes that had left him dumbstruck - one was green, the other gold. She also had a scar on the left side of her face that ran from her brows, down through the eye lid then cheeks below the eye.

He looked up at Tinuiel. "You will make the right decision, " he said reassuredly. "And if your ElvenKing is as wise as you say, then perhaps he will hear her tale before making judgement.
I sense that she too is of the wild, like myself. Those elven kins that have no lord, and would roam free under the sky. You sense too, Lady, that her rage is born from a deep grief and pain."

He looked down at the young elf girl. She was regaining consciousness.

[ April 21, 2002: Message edited by: Thalionyulma ]
Old 04-22-2002, 06:00 AM   #89
Leighlei
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

Within a moment or two of the guard's leaving, the girl awoke. She looked up at the two elves and started. "Don't touch me!" She yelled, jumping ot her feet and backing away. They also rose. The girl glanced around nervously. "Aren't you taking me to the king?" She muttered. The girl-elf who had knocked her out smiled halfway and nodded. The wild girl nodded back grimly, keeping a wary eye on the man-elf. "I didn't do anything." She said after a moment. "I was repaying the favor of your false ruler, who allowed my parents to die. I did nothing." With that she rose to her full height and sighed. "I had grown tired of the small game that roamed the free land... I needed something bigger..." She cocked her head to one side. "Why didn't you pass judgement, madame? You could have killed me, as I am sure many a drunken soldier or a dimwitted idiotic warrior or theif that I have outsmarted yearns to. You could have ended my life...whilst I lay there..." She motioned to the floor. "And yet you did not."

[ April 24, 2002: Message edited by: Leighlei ]
Old 04-22-2002, 09:51 PM   #90
LúthienTinúviel
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Tinuiel smiled ruefully. "Yes, I could have ended your life, but I do not love bloodshed, and it is not the way of my people, even if your past has told you different." The wild girl glared at her.

"Why should I trust you?"

Tinuiel shrugged. "You do not have to, but you will fare better if you do." Tinuiel gestured to Rûdhchamion. "You can see he is like you and in my company, yet he has come to no harm." The wild girl remained silent. Tinuiel sighed. "It matters not. You will see the justice of Thranduil. I will take you both to him now." She signaled to Rûdhchamion to hold the wild girl and walk in front of her. As they neared the throne room Tinuiel threw her shoulders back, took a deep breath, and walked it.

Thrnaduil was seated on his throne, speaking with Legolas. When Tinuiel and the prisoners entered, both Thranduil and Legolas ceased their conversation and turned to look at the newcomers. Tinuiel led her captives before the throne. She signaled to them to kneel, which they did, thank Elbereth, and Tinuiel knelt also. "Hail Thranduil, Lord of Green Wood the Great. I have brought before you two prisoners."

Thranduil regarded the prisoners in silence. They remained kneeling under his gaze, but Tinuiel stood. "I"--she hesitated. "I ask that you look with special mercy on them."

Old 04-24-2002, 07:33 AM   #91
Thalionyulma
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Rûdhchamion held the young elven girl by the arm as they walked towards the Great Hall. She had glared at him as he obeyed Tinuiel's bidding, at the same time he felt her wariness towards him. He was curious with what she had said earlier. She had blamed the Elvenking for the death of her parents. How was this so, he wondered silently. He stole another glance at her.

As they entered the Thranduil’s Great Hall, Rûdhchamion took notice of his surroundings. He then noticed a tall male elf silently discerning them. The elf looked familiar. He had been in the company of the patrol that had captured the men days before.

Nearing the throne, he saw the Elvenking crowned with a circlet of green leaves upon his brow. Thranduil was seated, speaking to another elf whom Rûdhchamion remembered as Legolas, his son. He sensed Tiniuel’s apprehension as they neared the Elvenking. She then gestured for them to kneel before the throne. As he began to do so, he shot a look at the elven girl to follow suit. Much to his relief she did.

He sighed inwardly, willing himself to push aside the apprehension he felt. Whatever fate would deal him, he had decided he would face it. He quickly glanced at Legolas who was listening to Tiniuel speak. Then for the first time he meet Thranduil’s silent gaze.
Old 04-24-2002, 01:59 PM   #92
Leighlei
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

The girl said nothing, feeling the King's gaze upon her, then she lifted her face. She was surprised to find the gaze of a tall golden haired elf upon her as well. He so resembled the king that he must have been his son.

She gave him a half smile, bringing one shoulder forward towards her cheek she posed in a quick flash of humor, then she looked at the king, half-snarling, she glanced back at the elf.

"You! Bow your head, and show the king his proper respect!" A guard shouted. She smirked and got to her feet.

"I show him the respect he deserves." She said, and then looked directly into his eyes. "NONE!" The chamber was silent. "O King, you sentence me when you should be the one punished!"

"Is she mad?" an elf cried.

"YOU are the one who allowed my parents to die! YOU are to blame!" she cried.

"You might watch your tongue," said the tall handsome elf. "You might seek the clemency of my father another way!"

"Your ...father?" She chuckled. "Should I kill him and show you how it feels?" She stood ready, expecting something to come from the blonde elf. "Just because you are lovely, gives you no right to turn away from pain!"

[ April 24, 2002: Message edited by: Gilthalion ]
Old 04-24-2002, 03:22 PM   #93
Gilthalion
Hobbitus Emeritus

Gilthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thranduil and Legolas had been discussing the man in the prison. Clearly, times were changing for the worse. The news from the south of Mirkwood could not be worse.

Father and son looked up as the elven prisoners were brought into the chamber. They were all surprised at the vicious outburst from the wild elven girl. Thranduil rose to speak.

"If your parents came to harm through my command, then you must refresh my memory, for I know not who they were. If they were wrongfully harmed by commission or ommission of my rule, and you have a rightful claim against me, fear not, I will hear it and make good as well as I may.

"You are brought here to hear my judgment, caught as you were trespassing and poaching on my preserve, a sanctuary for the wildlife of Greenwood for an age and more, set aside by my rightful order. But I would hear first of your complaint, lest I rule unwisely on your offense against my realm.

"So speak, Sauche, wild elf of the woods! Tell me what evil you think I have done you."

[ April 26, 2002: Message edited by: Gilthalion ]
Old 04-24-2002, 07:14 PM   #94
Anarya SilverBranch
Wight

Sting

Anarya turned at the sound of the Healer's door opening. Novannon walked in, breathless.

"Where have you been? Did you find them?" Anarya asked her rising from the bedside of Mornovarion.

"No, but I did find out that they are before Thranduil right now," She said. Her eyes trailed over to Mornovarion on the bed, "Is he getting better?" She inquired.

Anarya looked back at the elf. He did look better from the elvish medicine. The placid color that had streaked his face had left and there was a bit of a pinkish tone in his cheeks now. Anarya looked back at her friend and nodded.

"Can he walk?"

"I believe so," Mornovarion answered for himself, rising from the bed onto the floor. He wobbled a bit as he stood, than straightened.

The healer walked up with a smile on his face, "You see? I knew that poultice would work wonders. Hes set to go," He said.

Anarya looked at her friend and knew what she was thinking. Maybe if they presented Mornovarion's problem before Thranduil, he might be able to help.

"Come along Mornovarion," Anarya said walking to the door, "We have an appointment with the king,"

Mornovarion walked slowly to the door, as if afraid he would break the very floor from under him. Novannon followed ready to catch the elf if he were to trip or collapse.

They reached the door in one piece and once they were outside in the cool late evening air, Mornovarion seemed to gain more strength.

Anarya and Mornovarion explained Mornovarion's problem the best they could. Novannon listened quietly as they walked briskly through the streets toward the palace. When they had finished, Novannon had smiled softly and shrugged not knowing exactly what to say but knowing that something must be done of their problem.

They reached the gates and got leave in, for the king was having a public audience, making it easy on them.

Anarya, Novannon, and Mornovarion entered the great room where King Thranduil sat before what looked like a young elf girl, about her age, prostrate upon the ground. His son Legolas stood close by his eyes on the figure before them. Anarya could see Rudchamion and Tinuiel near the crouched shape. Anarya shifted from foot to foot and listened to the king question the young elf girl.
Old 04-25-2002, 06:26 AM   #95
Nice-Smeagol
Animated Skeleton

Ring

Mornovarion looked desperately at the king, then looked away and looked at the floor. He began muttering to himself. One voice was his but the other was a deep hissing one.
"But it will free our family" said the other.
"Yes, but these elves have been so kind to us" said Mornovarion.
"They are just trying to decieve us into not doing it"
"Yes, but I don't think I could do it"
"Just let me take control"
"But what wil happen?"
"I'll just have control of everything you'll do"
"Where will I be"
"You'll just watch"
"But..."
Suddenly, Mornovarion twisted but when he stood up again his eyes had a glint in them that noone had seen before.

Old 04-25-2002, 04:31 PM   #96
Leighlei
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Sauche shrugged. "Since you know my name, I suppose you know my story, for I have not uttered the name you have said to one of these guards." She smirked. "Though I will tell you anyway." She related to them her tale, about the orcs and about her parents. "If you had not neglected the factwe lifed on the outskirts of yor kingdom, if you had stationed guards, then I WOULD NOT BE HERE!" She finished, enfuriated, she glared at Legolas, then back at the king.
Old 04-26-2002, 07:20 AM   #97
Thalionyulma
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Rûdhchamion was shocked at the young elven girl’s words, and at the fury within her. Her words were coming out like a she-wolf’s growl. He stood up slowly and threw Tinuviel an alarmed look. Things would not bode well if the young elf girl, Sauche, could not control her emotions.

He looked around taking note of the furor she was causing. He glanced at Thranduil. The Elvenking’s face was without emotion, but his eyes were watching the girl keenly. Legolas’ emotions were clearly written on his face, though.

He saw the tall male elf look of outrage. His companions mirrored it on their faces as well. Rûdhchamion thought he caught a glimpse of Anarya as well.

He moved closer to Sauche and placed a hand on her shoulder, trying to calm her. He felt her shaking from anger. She shrugged his hand off, irritated and threw him a venomous glare.

“Sauche,” he said softly, and could find no other words. He sympathized with her, but what could she possibly want to happen? Her execution would not bring her parents back. Her grief and rage was blinding her from thinking rationally.

He sighed and looked at the young elven girl. Pleading silently to keep calm before she got herself into more trouble.

[ April 26, 2002: Message edited by: Thalionyulma ]
Old 04-26-2002, 01:12 PM   #98
Leighlei
Haunting Spirit

Sting

She glanced at the elf who touched her, then the angry king and his enfuriated son. After a moment her rage faded, her need for her own justice dissolved into a resolution. "Highness." She said finally, swallowing. She took deep breaths and at last looked back to the King. "I want...to kill your son." She started foreward as if to attack him and in an anstant a thousand guards swarmed around them both. She laughed. "But I won't. My need for justice has nothing to do with causing others the pain I felt."
Old 04-26-2002, 01:56 PM   #99
Gilthalion
Hobbitus Emeritus

Sting

"Your name is known to me, though I have seen you only once," said Thranduil to the wild girl. "Until this moment, none other in this realm knew you, I swear it. I know you for I see your parents in you, and they were as dear to me as my own family. Your mother told me your name ere she died, but we never found you. I begged them not to remove themselves from this place, but they would not listen."

Thranduil's brow creased and his eyes seemed to look through the walls of the cavern and through the centuries to the fateful day when the elf child had been orphaned.

"You do not remember the centuries that have passed. Yes! Centuries! Though you seem as one who has not yet come of age, you have lived a long life already. The years have been ripples merging together under the wicked enchantment that fell upon you. Little able have you been to remember the days since your accursed childhood, and have lived each day with little memory of the day before."

Sauche listened with eyes staring wider and wider. The words of the King came to her in waves, each one pushing back the chaos and rage of her thoughts until she clearly remembered what had gone before.

It seemed to the elves in the cavernous chamber that Sauche stood taller and that calm smoothed her countenance and that reason found lodging in her eye. Even so, she still looked at the woodland sovereign with a hard regard.

But the King had more to say.

"In those days, our numbers were fewer, and the Shadow was strong. Strong indeed before the great war long ago when marched Elves of the Noldor and the Men of Gondor against the Dark Lord. This realm became a fortress for our people and little more. We dared not extend our dwellings beyond the immediate reach of our soldiery. But you have much of your father in you and you are your mother's child to be sure. For they were ever the foremost among us in the care of this wood. Perhaps you do not know, you have wandered so long, but they chose to live in the very preserve where you were captured. When the orcs came, we could not reach them in time to save them, and you were gone. Your mother lived long enough to speak your name to me with her dying breath. I have ordered their lands a preserve against the use of the two legged from that day until this. We are now numerous enough to protect it, and so it was that you were apprehended."

The woodland king stood again to his feet, and his voice rang with the formal tones of judgment.

"Release her," he said, and she was set free and the elves stepped away from her, to give her space. Thranduil continued speaking.

"Sauche Woodsprite. I find you guilty of trespass in the Royal Preserve of Greenland the Great. However, by right of inheritance, in as much as it can be said that any truly own the land, the Royal Preserve is yours, the land of your father and your mother, kept in its natural order until you should return or be found. You are free to make a home there, if you will, to continue the work of your parents, guarding and tending that vale, taking from it what you need, and giving to it your love and your care. Whatever you require will be granted to you, if it is within my power. If you would take also from me my advice, then I will say that if you would not slide back into a wild enchantment, you will seek out the healer standing there behind you, and find more permanent ease for your troubled mind. You will ever be welcome here, as often as you will visit. My only command is this, that you will never harbor enemies of the Woodland Realm and that you will pledge to tell the guards at the borders of your valley if you learn of any threat.

"What say you, Sauche of the Guarded Vale?"
Old 04-26-2002, 03:36 PM   #100
Anarya SilverBranch
Wight

Sting

Anarya listened quietly to the judgement given to the one called Sauche, till she looked at Mornovarion. He was slumped on the floor, mumbling. His eyes roving the room like a mad dog's. There was something different about him.

"Mornovarion?" Anarya whispered, looking at him curiously.

Mornovarion looked up. His eyes held more than just sorrow now, no they held no sorrow. Only something deep, deep and evil as the dark of Mordor. The elf smiled, his smile sarcastic and wicked.

"Yes Anarya?" He asked in a voice that was not his.

Anarya stepped back. Something was wrong. Then she saw something that alarmed her greatly. From the folds of his dark blue cloak, the elf drew a knife, cruel and silver as the moon...
Old 04-28-2002, 03:02 AM   #101
Thalionyulma
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

The dark elf listened to Thranduil as he spoke. In the Elvenking's words he saw both wisdom and compassion. Perhaps what he had heard of this elf lord was true. His kin had woven songs of the Battle of the Last Alliance. In those tales Thranduil had been a young warrior by his father's side, Oropher, in the battle field. King Oropher had joined his forces with Amdir of Lorinand to aid the elvenlords from the west. It was told that Oropher had been slain and his son bravely led his people afterwards. Sadly, less than one third returned to Greenwood.

Rûdhchamion had been very young at that time, still considered a child by his kindred. But he scouted with Brilgonion, his father, for the elven armies. His father had brought him along to teach him and hone his skills. He had been kept away from the battlefields then.

Still, this knowledge did not completely put him at ease. After all what could a dark elf that had belonged to a nomadic group offer the elvenking? They had been considered outcasts after the battles were no more, because they had refused to be ruled by any king. And technically, he had trespassed into Thranduil's kingdom for no reason… except his own personal one.

He glanced at the elven girl, Sauche. He felt her shift uneasily. Tinuiel was also looking at the elven girl.

[ May 03, 2002: Message edited by: Thalionyulma ]
Old 04-28-2002, 05:15 PM   #102
Leighlei
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

After a moment, Sauche lowered her head and took a step foreward.
"I misjudged you, King." She said in a voice unbroken. "And I give you now the respect you deserve, for you have proved to me that you do indeed deserve it." She paused. "And I accept your offer and...I pledge to you my allegiance." She strode foreward, much to everyones surprise, and, brushing roughly against Legolas stood before the king, and then embraced him. She kissed him on the forehead and then stepped back, her face still hard, although beneath it's somber expression one could see the workings of emotion. "...But first, I wish to do you a favor and repay you...if there is anything...you know where to find me." She backed away, then she bowed her head and knelt beside the others...not knowing quite what to do...
Old 04-28-2002, 09:10 PM   #103
LúthienTinúviel
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Tinuiel smiled inwardly when Sauche was reconciled with Thranduil. Thank Elbereth, she thought. Then she squared her shoulder and touched Rûdhchamion on the shoulder. He looked up at her, and she gave him a reassuring nod. "My King," she began. "I have brought you another prisoner. His name is Rûdhchamion. Anarya found him in the forest."

Old 04-29-2002, 08:00 AM   #104
Gayahithwen
Wight

Gayahithwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gayahithwen Send a message via MSN to Gayahithwen Send a message via Yahoo to Gayahithwen
Sting

Gayahithwen stood in the kitchen and listened to the talk of the other servants. There were apperantly some prisoners in the throne room and king Thranduil was about to judge them. She looked around, to see if there was anything necessary to be done in the kitchen, but since she found nothing, she went over to the kitchen master.

"Shall I take some refreshments into the throne room? If the judgements will go on for long, they will be thirsty, that is for sure."

The kitchen master smiled at her and nodded. "Although you are a dreamer, Gayahithwen - and very much so, you seem to be at the right place at the right time sometimes. Go ahead, bring in some water, or other refreshment."

With a quick bow, Gayahithwen got some cans on a brick and headed away for the throne room. When she reached there she saw the two prisoners. One of them had apperantly been screaming just some moments ago, but the king calmed her down. Slowly, she approached the throne, but then stopped a little bit away from it. If the king or someone else wanted refreshments, they would show it.
Old 04-29-2002, 10:41 AM   #105
Gilthalion
Hobbitus Emeritus

Sting

"What have I done?" thought Legolas, as Sauche rudely brushed past him. He smiled a little ruefully and his eye flashed across the audience in the chamber to see what the others thought of this strange elf-girl.

That was how he saw the blade of Mornovarion as it was drawn from his robes. His bow was not strung and there was little time to act, but the lithe wood elf spun about, snatching a spear from the surprised hand of a guard. As Legolas twisted sharply around, completing his spin, the spear seemed to be hurled from his hand with the speed of a striking snake.

Across the chamber it sped, striking the blade hard and full as Mornovarion held it aloft ere bringing it down in a treacherous and lethal arc. The dagger fell from his upraised hand and he cried aloud in startlement and sudden anger.

But with his other hand, before the blade had fallen far, he snatched it out of the air and then sped unerringly to the throne where Thranduil stood weaponless.

It was the Dark Elf who moved now to thwart the bewitched Mornovarion, and Rûdhchamion leapt like a panther, knocking the traitor down and grappling with him for the blade.
Old 04-29-2002, 03:23 PM   #106
Leighlei
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Sauche immediately was upon her feet. With steps like those of a bird she dashed towards the King as the two elves faught, glancing over her shoulder only once. She looked at Legolas.

"You...take your father. You are in danger." She grasped the prince's hand and yanked him, shoving him towards the nearest exit. She glanced around her again and then found herself borrowing the spear from the soldier opposite the one Legolas had taken his weapon from. She went after the king and his son, flanking them and walking backwards, making sure nobody else would tryt o herm the ruler. However, Legolas would not, for honor or whatever reason, flee. Nor would Thranduil, though the king did allow his guards to form in a phalanx around his throne. Legolas re-joined the wild elf girl.

"Dind't I tell you to go?" She hissed. "Would you die now, in a room of convicts and prisoners? Your father is safe, as you should be! Go and protect him, you fool!" She glanced at him out of the corner of her eye, he was half-smiling. It was as if he knew she did indeed, stand on the side of justice and was very pleased with himself because of it. She snarled, lowering herself into a battle-ready position, should the attacker escape the fray and lash out at her.

[ April 29, 2002: Message edited by: Gilthalion ]
Old 04-29-2002, 07:06 PM   #107
Anarya SilverBranch
Wight

Sting

Anarya watched in horror as Mornovarion and Rudchamion fought, not knowing what to do. Their deadly brawl continued, as the elf who had been on trial tried to persuade Legolas to take Thranduil.

Her attention turned back to the fight between the dark elf and Mornovarion. She knew that something had come over Mornovarion. That was not him trying to attack the king, but another. She stifled a cry of relief and terror as Rudhchamion cast the knife from Mornovarion's hand onto the ground, and held his weapon to Mornovarin's throat. Anarya ran foward,

"Don't hurt him!" She cried, "Something is wrong with him! He wasn't going to do that,"

She ran to Rudhchamion and held his wrist that had the weapon in his hand. She looked down at Mornovarion and watched dumbfounded as the evil spell that had come over him left, leaving him confused and trembling on the floor with weariness.

"Please," She said looking up at Rudhchamion, "Don't hurt him, he didn't know what he was doing,"

The dark elf's face that had been like stone softened at her request...
Old 04-29-2002, 07:16 PM   #108
LúthienTinúviel
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Tinuiel saw Legolas move out of the corner of her eye. She turned to see Mornovarion draw his blade. She was leaning on her bow, but with a flick of her wrist, it leaped into her hand. Then, just as Rûdhchamion flew by her, she drew an arrow from her quiver. Half a moment later her arrow was fit to the string and trained on Mornovarion. The problem was that Rûdhchamion and he were struggling so violently that Tinuiel could not get a clear mark on him. The point of her arrow was moving back and forth, trying to find a clear shot, when Sauche and Legolas came up behind her.

"I can't get a clear mark," she murmured to Legolas. The three looked on helpless as Rûdhchamion struggled with Mornovarion. The wild elf seemed to have gained a monstrous strength, almost as if he were a demon, for Rûdhchamion should have been more than strong enough to overpower him. Mornovarion was now on top of Rûdhchamion, trying to strangle him, but he was so intent upon throttling Rûdhchamion, that he did not notice that Rûdhchamion had reached for his knife. The hilt came up and smashed the side of Mornovarion's face. He was thrown to the side, and finally Tinuiel had her shot. "Halt," she cried, "or that move wil be your last." Mornovarion crounched, wild eyed, muttering to himself. Tinuiel saw now fully revealed the shadow of the pain she had seen when she met the elf in the woods. Despite the fact that he had almost killed her King, she pitied him. "Mornovarion," she said in a softer tone. "I trusted you in the forest. Is this how I am repaid?"

The wild light in the elf's eyes flickered for a moment, then died. It was as if one side of him had temporarily won over the other.

Old 04-29-2002, 10:11 PM   #109
Gilthalion
Hobbitus Emeritus

Sting

Gayahithwen arrived at this time, and saw that things were not at all as they should be in the throne room of Thranduil. Guards stood with bristling spears about the King. A prisoner was held down to the floor by many elves. A strange elf, unknown to her, picked himself up off the floor, where he had obviously fought with the prisoner.

She paused only a moment, but seeing that matters seemed to be in hand, she continued on, with other elves of the kitchen behind her, and they quietly laid a table for the refreshment of the king's audience.

Gayahithwen waited by the table to serve whenever the king should conclude his judgments. Thranduil noticed her and smiled, for he was kindly appreciative of his subject's consideration.

But the king had other business at hand. Thranduil ordered his guards to return to their stations, and was not as kindly to them.

"What guards I have! I see that we have grown slack since the Necromancer was cast forth from Dol Goldur. Legolas! Before dawn, I will see the host of this Woodland Realm assembled. The day shall be spent in martial contest, so that we may see if all my kingdom has grown as slack as these in my hall.

"Now, as for this traitor, pick him up. All here have seen his intent. I would know more. And I will know more! You! What have you to say for yourself?"

The prisoner seemed spent and lifeless, as much from sudden physical weakness as from utter despair and self-loathing. He said nothing. Thranduil was not pleased.

"Have you nothing to say?" cried the king. "We will loosen your tongue soon enough. Take him away, for there is malice behind this that cannot be ignored. We will question him, and none too gently, for the safety of my people is at stake. And when we are done, justice will be served. Are there any here who would say why my hand should stay and his life be spared?"

The chamber grew silent and the prisoner stared in abject misery at the stone floor.
Old 04-30-2002, 06:13 AM   #110
Nice-Smeagol
Animated Skeleton

Ring

"I am sorry, I do not know what came over me. I believe that the Dark Lord has some power over me," Mornovarion looked up at Thranduil "The best course of action would be to kill me now, before He comes over me again. Please, I ask you just to kill me now as I am living in pain".

Old 04-30-2002, 07:37 AM   #111
Thalionyulma
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Rûdhchamion cast a glance at the elf he had just fought. He looked at Anarya questioningly. There was more to Mornovarion than meets the eye he thought, and by Anarya’s look she knew the cause of this event. The strange elf had fought with the strength of thrice of what Rûdhchamion had deemed he had. He replaced his hunting jeweled knife at his side.

“Beware of him then, he may be more than what he has told you,” he whispered grimly to Anarya. “ And watch yourself, your Elvenking may not take too kindly to any pleas in the light of what just occurred.”

He brushed himself off and returned before Thranduil. He stayed a few feet from Mornovarion, watching him closely. He noticed Sauche near the throne, holding a spear, looking warily at the elf who was now before the Elvenking. Legolas was also alert by his father's side. The elven prince looked at Rûdhchamion for a moment, then returned his gaze back to the strange elf.

Hearing Mornovarion’s reply to Thranduil, Rûdhchamion’s brow furrowed, one slightly raising.

Dark Lord?

Rûdchamion turned to look towards Tinuiel.
Old 04-30-2002, 03:41 PM   #112
Leighlei
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

After a moment Sauche eased back and let her arm slacken, glancing back at the King she bowed her head slightly. She remained where she was. Then she looked at Legolas, who stood beside her and directly beside his father's throne. "You are a noble man." She said quietly. "Foolish. But noble." She smiled, keeping her eyes locked warily on the agressive prisoner, then she looked towards Legolas. "You will rule well someday."

"If that is my destiny," said Legolas. "But who can say? My father should be king for many an age to come, and my destiny may take me far from here." But his gaze was bent upon the dark elf who had risked his life to protect his father.

Sauche gazed then at the dark elf who had fought the attacker. Such strength and skill! And very handsome. She smiled gently at him, wondering what he could have done to deserve to be held in trial here.

[ May 01, 2002: Message edited by: Gilthalion ]
Old 04-30-2002, 06:58 PM   #113
LúthienTinúviel
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Tinuiel returned Rûdhchamion's gaze. Her eyes seemed to say to him, "Ah, so much for my wisdom." She held his gaze for a moment, then looked away. She heard Mornovarion speak, but before Thranduil could reply. She knelt before his throne.

"My Lord and King, I must bear the responsibility for this elf's action." Thranduil frowned and Legolas looked at her incredulously.

"Tinuiel, you are not to blame," he started, but Tinuiel held up her hand and met his eyes. As he looked into her eyes, he saw deep into the anguish that she had always kept hidden beneath the her usual, thoughtful gaze. Tinuiel turned her eyes from Legolas to Thranduil. She met his eyes for a moment, then lowered her head. "My king. I found this stranger in the forest. He drew a weapon against me, and for that alone, even without his trespass, he is subject to severe punishment. But I chose to ignore the your laws. He was wounded. I sent him to the infirmary and not to the dungeon. I"--she faltered for a moment. "I--He has suffered greatly, Lord. He is not himself. I sought to make things right. Forgive my pride, my Lord. In my eagerness for mercy, I placed my wisdom above your own. I take full responsibilty." She hung her head, and for the first time since her mother had died in her arms, she wept openly.

Old 04-30-2002, 08:00 PM   #114
Anarya SilverBranch
Wight

Sting

Anarya knelt beside Mornovarion after Tinuiel had burst into tears and set her hand on his shoulder.

"My Lord," She said addressing King Thranduil, "I can expalin Mornovarion's strange conduct. It seems that the elf has told me that he comes to us from the halls of the Dark Lord himself, the Great Eye, as he is known. Mornovarion and his family were taken captive from the edges of Mirkwood and have been tortured in the very depths of Barad-Dur itself. He was set free only because he agreed to do a deed. A terrible deed. To kill you, the task was upon him laid, and if he did it would free his family. He told me this while he was at the Healers, and he told me as well he wished not to do this thing. I believe that Mornovarion was bewitched for the moment back there, for for a moment he was not himself. So I beg of you, do not increase his pain that has already been more than one should bear."

All stood silent at the Elf's tale, and the miad's plea. Even Tinuiel's sobs were quieted, as Thranduil sat in thought...
Old 05-01-2002, 01:46 PM   #115
Gilthalion
Hobbitus Emeritus

Sting

"Arise, subjects of the Woodland Realm," said Thranduil. "For I see that you now recognize the wisdom of our laws, and the consequences of breaking them. I have heard that some think that Justice should be blind, but were that so, then we could all simply live under the laws in blind obedience and ruthless judgment. Such is not our way. I have been acclaimed your king, so that Justice may be tempered with Mercy, and Punishment meted out according to the spirit, and not the mere letter of the law.

"So it is that Mercy restrains the hand of the law, and Justice is rendered not in blindness, but in Pity. Even so, there must be consequence to your actions, Tinuiel. You were right to take this prisoner first to the Healers, but he should have been searched and disarmed, and kept under guard, rather than brought here to this chamber, where he might carry out the very plot that you heard from his lips.

"Lax, I say! Lax and unready are we, though all but the youngest of us still remember the Necromancer of Dol Goldur. Now word comes that there is evil in Mirkwood again, and now comes into the heart of our realm mortal trespassers held in our dungeons and an elf under bewitchment of the torturers of the Barad Dur.

"How shall I rule in such times as these?" asked Thranduil, rhetorically. "Tinuiel, you will tend this prisoner until he is well, and you will report to Legolas what he has to say. As for your prisoner, I have means to make him say more than he otherwise might.

"Gayahithwen! Run to the stores and fetch for me the little black cask. Hurry!" ordered the king. The quiet elven maid did as she was bade. The entire time she was gone, Thranduil looked upon Mornovarion with something less than pity in his regard. The tortured elf could not return his gaze.

"The cask, my lord," said Gayahithwen. She had returned with surprising speed but was not at all winded.

"Give it to Tinuiel," said Thranduil. "In it are deep draughts from the headwaters of the black stream that runs through Mirkwood. Its waters were enchanted with sleep and forgetfulness long ago. You will take Mornovarion here and prepare for him a drink. As his wounds are healed, he will sleep. And he will talk. And he will forget his tortures and the power of their bewitchment will fall from him. Your sentence, Tinuiel, shall be to listen to his every dreaming word. Legolas will then tell me what you have learned, and if there be any importance in it."

Tinuiel bowed gracefully, relieved that her error had not been corrected more sternly. She gratefully took the small cask from Gayahithwen.

"Think you that you have received a light punishment, Tinuiel?" asked the king, grimly. "You may think otherwise, listening night after night to the nightmares of Mordor. How long you are so sentenced, I cannot say. And when they have run their course, you will be the one to tell Mornovarion what he has forgotten and what he has lost. Yet someone must do this, for the sake of our Woodland Realm. Let none here think you have been treated with especial mercy, for the dreams that Mornovarion will forget will yet be a shadow upon your mind until the darker Shadow that first cast them is no more. This is not a punishment I impose, but a doom that I forsee."

Then the beautiful elven maiden realized that her duty was more severe than she had realized.

"You, Mornovarion, I do not hold blameless," said Thranduil, turning his attention back to the prisoner. "All know that the evil we choose is not justified by any ends, however noble. You have chosen evil, though you seem broken by the torments of the Barad Dur. Would any in this hall have done better, in your stead? None can say, and may we none of us ever face such a test."

Anarya looked up hopefully, but the next words of the woodland king were hard but just.

"It is only your case that I must consider now, for none of these others have been tested and found wanting. It is you who lifted his hand against the peace of this realm, and you who must suffer its justice. When you are healed, you will not remember what has passed. However long your torment, however long your self-deception, whatever memories or lies your mind has held since you were captured, these will be washed from you by the black draft of the enchanted waters. But there will be a price. When you awaken, you will seem as a mortal man, aged and weakened, your life force faded and diminished. The first face you see, the first voice you hear, will be Tinuiel's. And with a clear mind you will learn how you have betrayed yourself to the Shadow, and became in thought, if not in deed, a slayer of your kindred and a traitor to the very village you would fain have saved.

"Your punishment," said Thranduil, "will be to live with the knowledge of what you became. Foresight is upon me this day, for I see that ere all is done, you can redeem your honor, though at a cost I will not name. May it be that grace will be given you to pass the test, if ever you are tested again. More than that I cannot say. Take him from my sight."

Two of the guards took the prisoner between them back to the abode of the healers and Tinuiel followed, her beauty already haunted by the darkness she would soon face. Now the king turned his attention to the Dark Elf who had fought with Mornovarion.

"And now I would hear from you," said Thranduil. "Another breaker of our laws, and yet one to whom I owe a debt. Perhaps there is little business here for me, for already I am inclined to pardon your offense. But I would learn who you are and why you are here, ere the formality of this proceding be concluded."
Old 05-01-2002, 06:40 PM   #116
Leighlei
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Sauche took a deep breath, trying to look as noble as possible. She felt so low compared to the royalty beside her, however, she wished to stay beside them, to portect them, should something else arise. She was grimly aware of the fact that The Mighty King was the only link she had left to her parents.
Old 05-01-2002, 10:38 PM   #117
Thalionyulma
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

The dark elf stood erect and met the Elvenking’s gaze. He pitied Tinuiel’s fate, he had not wholly agreed to Thranduil’s sentence, yet he saw the wisdom in it. He would have executed Mornovarion after extracting information from him, should he had been in the Elvenking’s place. But this was his realm, and his ways were far different from what Rûdhchamion was born to.

Rûdhchamion began his tale.

“I am called Rûdhchamion, O’ Elvenking. I was once among those who roamed the eaves of Eryn Galen near the Great River. We were not many in number and our needs were few, the land was bountiful. We hunted but a few game, taking care not to trespass Thy fair woods. Thus it was many seasons after the last great battle with the Enemy.”

He hesitated a moment then continued, the bitterness could be heard in his words.

“Alas, for now those beloved to me are no more. We had stayed last near sight of Leog Ningloron, called Gladden Fields, and it was there that all but a handful of my people survived the treachery of man.

My mother’s kin had pitied two weary travelers, or so they seemed at that time. While we were feasting that night, we were attacked by foul orcs and their allies. The two men were among those who killed my family. We fought as well as we could, but our weapons were no match of those made of iron. They made use of poison darts and arrows. We were over powered.”

The dark elf stopped and tried to relax. His fists were clenched in silent rage, his whole being had gone tensed as the memories of that day he had kept hidden burst forth. He lowered his gaze a moment and breathed deeply. When he meet Thranduil’s gaze, his eyes reflected his turmoil and rage.

“I had watched helpless as my father was cut down as he tried to aid my mother who had been hit by an arrow. I was able to escape death when my twin sister, Pennnauriel took the poison dart that had been aimed at me. As I held her … she... she died in my arms, the light in her eyes were no more. Pennauriel, my half, who was to wed soon Annunsèw, a young hunter… as I held her I had been hit then from behind and knew no more.

When I awoke, only a few remained. All left were carrying wounds unfelt, for our grief was deeper and greater. Our womenfolk and children were not spared. Their bodies were left strewn with arrows.

After taking care of our dead, I left the last remnant of my people. I swore I would hunt down the orc and their allies. I was tracking the men from the east when they were waylaid by your son’s patrol. I was hoping they would lead me to the orcs. For long have I searched for the ones responsible for the slaying of my kin. Those that I have slain did not have the mark as the ones who had slaughtered my family.”

The Elvenking stayed silent as Rûdhchamion ended his tale. His face was void of emotion, and the dark elf knew not his thoughts.

[ May 02, 2002: Message edited by: Thalionyulma ]
Old 05-02-2002, 01:05 PM   #118
Anarya SilverBranch
Wight

Sting

Anarya's heart went out to the dark elf as he stood, recounting his sad and tragic tale to the king. Why would someone want to inflict pain upon another? In her young mind, it seemed as stupid and was, for all beings, mortal or eternal are connected and mustn't hurt each other for if you lose one, you lose all balance. Anarya knew she would never understand the reasons behind murder.

Anarya shifted her weight from foot to foot waitng for Thranduil's judgement upon Rudhchamion...
Old 05-04-2002, 12:53 AM   #119
Gilthalion
Hobbitus Emeritus

Sting

The elvenking looked long upon the Dark Elf, as if fathoming his purposes as much from his countenance as from his words. He finally spoke.

"From one kingdom to another, if they are not enemies and at war, there is a common understanding that the pursuit of murderers may stray across the boundaries of realms. Such pursuit is ventured at risk of misunderstanding and judgment and in hope of justice and aid.

"You may fairly make claim upon Elvenkind for such aid, if it is ours to give. But as all eyes have seen here today, these are perilous times. Already one elf has tried to take my life, at the behest of Mordor. Mortal men are sent from the East through my realm. A Dark Elf, long sundered from our kindred, appears with a tale of misery and moves as swiftly as my own son to protect me."

"Some would say it is too close to be coincidence," mused Legolas.

"And they would be right," replied Thranduil. "Clearly there is something at work here with purposes beyond our own. But I think that the Dark Lord has not arranged this, at least not all of it. I do not believe that Rûdhchamion placed himself in the way of the assassin as part of some subtle scheme of Sauron's. But I must be certain, for the sake of the Wooded Realm.

"Let the mortal prisoners be brought forth! Enter their cells with torches blazing," cried the king. "And let the torches in this chamber be doused, save these on the dais. Rûdhchamion, draw for me on a parchment, the mark you describe. Give me the scroll quickly, and stand behind the others, where you will not be seen."

Several guards hurried with sure speed to the prison cells and swiftly returned with the ragged men. Rûdhchamion drew the symbol he so vividly remembered, rolled the parchment, and placed it in the hands of the elvenking. If the Dark Elf noticed that the hands of Legolas were relaxed with the deceptive ease of a fighter ready to strike without warning, he said nothing.

Would I not be as vigilant myself? he thought. Rûdhchamion looked Legolas in the eye and the two elves felt that they understood one another well enough.

No sooner than Rûdhchamion had slipped behind some of the many elves in attendance, the mortal prisoners were brought into the darkened chamber. They could see only the elvenking and Legolas upon the dais on his right side, with Sauche standing upon his left, for she could not be persuaded to leave Thranduil's side.

The men blinked in the dark hall, seeing little, but feeling scores of eyes casting a stern and weighty regard upon them.

"I have had you brought here," said the king, "to render judgment. You are guilty of trespassing, with malicious intent, in the Woodland Realm. You are by your own admission, servants of a great wickedness that seeks power in Dol Goldur. Perhaps there is a way that you will not be put to the deaths you deserve by my decree."

The men were sweating, and the stink of their fear was foul in the elven chamber.

"One of you will be the first to tell me all that you know of a certain symbol," commanded the elvenking. "If I am satisfied that you are telling the truth, and that what you have said is useful, then I will allow the first one of you to speak to leave my gates a free man. The other two will surely die by my order."

Thranduil stood before the prisoners, who were now utterly terrified, and slowly unrolled the scroll, showing them the image drawn by Rûdhchamion.

Almost immediately, all three of the men began shouting their answers, but one of them leapt forward, casting himself groveling at the feet of the elvenking. Legolas had to prevent Sauche from spearing him, for she cared for these vile men not at all.

It was Micanar who was most zealous to betray his friends. The guards dragged the other two away to their, cursing and wailing, to await execution. Micanar was jerked roughly to his feet and inwardly smiled to himself. He would tell the foolish elvenking exactly what the figure meant, and then the proud word of Thranduil would be kept and he would freely return to his commanders.

"As you can plainly see," said Micanar, "more plainly with your elvish sight than myself, in this darkness, it is a military insignia, similar to the one I myself bear."

The man rolled up his sleeve, and there on his shoulder was the mark.

"All of the men of our company have taken this mark, as a badge of pride and solidarity," Micanar lied. "It is a mark earned by the bravest and the most resourceful of us, and I am proud to wear it. You will see it on the shoulders of those knaves you have taken away. I could only wish that all who wore it, honored it, but alas, you know how an army can be."

"Yes," said Thranduil. "I well know. Rûdhchamion, speak from where you stand and tell me if you have seen this man?"

"I have," said the Dark Elf, in a voice from the unlit chamber that made Micanar's blood run cold once again. "Near Leog Ningloron, where my sister breathed her last."

"Very well," Thranduil replied. "Micanar, you are free to leave my realm. There is the door."

The elvenking gestured and the great doors of the hall opened onto a bridge that crossed a high space. The sound of a rushing water could be heard. Micanar was nearly blinded by the light entering the chamber.

"Blindfold him and see that he is brought safely and swiftly to the nearest border of the realm," said Thranduil.

Micanar was lead blindly from the chamber and the great magic doors of the cavern fortress slammed shut behind the prisoner as the guards took him away.

Torches were relit, and Rûdhchamion stood before Thranduil and spoke bitterly.

"Is this the justice of the fabled Woodland Realm?" cried the Dark Elf. "Why do you give this wicked lying man your protection and his freedom?"

"I would know the true direction of Micanar's thoughts," said Thranduil calmly. "His feet will surely follow his heart. If he is only what he claims, then he will head East, to Dorwinion. And I will know that you can be trusted no more than he. If he heads South, or West, then he will be seeking our common enemy, where he expects to most quickly find them. Then the counsel of my heart will be shown true, and my faith in your words will not be vain.

But I do have faith that what you have said is true. And so I decree that you, Rûdhchamion, are free to leave. I charge you not to harm Micanar within my realm, for I will not have my word dishonored."

Thranduil gestured, and the doors opened again. Rûdhchamion looked closely at the elvenking, smiled grimly, bowed gravely, and then swiftly left the king's presence, following the path the blindfolded prisoner was being led.

Perhaps the elves of this kingdom are not as soft as we had believed, thought the Dark Elf, as he hurried into the wood.

And if he knew that he was himself swiftly followed by Legolas and Anarya, he did not care. For Rûdhchamion would keep his word, and Micanar would not die by his hand. Not yet.

No, Micanar's death would not be by Thranduil's order. The king's promise would be kept.

And not within the boundaries of the Woodland Realm would Micanar meet his doom, and not before his chosen path revealed the slayers of the Dark Elf's kin.
Old 05-04-2002, 11:02 AM   #120
Anarya SilverBranch
Wight

Sting

Anarya followed closely behind Legolas, keeping to the shadows of the growing night. The moon shone, distant and cold in the black sky. She did not know where Legolas led her, as he sped closely upon the tail of Rudhchamion. She clutched her bow in her hand, but she did not know why, for there was no danger that she knew of that could be lurking among the trees. Maybe more evil and fell creatures, but after their run in with the giant bats the preivous afternoon they would not be out again for another few days. After a while of following, the prince stopped and Anarya held her breath, to await the reson for the halt...