User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2003, 03:48 PM   #281
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gaddy stood there, mouthing wordlessly like a fool. He was quite shaken, in just a short amout of time he had gone from one of the most amazing experiences he'd ever had, to suddenly being told to make a huge decision. He could see the crowd gathering at the door, that didn't help the situation one bit, especially not with some of them laughing. Daisy was standing to one side, looking at the floor. Gaddy realised he would have to do this by himself, no one was going to come to his rescue.

"I... well... I," he started then stopped, gathering the words together in his head, "I love her." he finally said, slowly and meaningfully. Before Bullroarer could say anything more Gaddy continued, "Bullroa- erm, Brandobras, sir, would you do me the honours of giving me Daisy's hand in marriage?" At this, Daisy looked up and the room went completely silent, Bullroarer just looked Gaddy strait in the eyes.

After a while Bullroarer answered, "I have no objection to you marrying Daisy, if that is also what she wants." Gaddy's heart leaped and he turned to face Daisy, going down on one knee and taking her hand in his shaking one he said "Will you marry me, Daisy?"

[ February 10, 2003: Message edited by: dragoneyes ]
Old 02-10-2003, 05:41 PM   #282
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: I don't know... will there be a quiz on this later?
ArwenBaggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ArwenBaggins Send a message via Yahoo to ArwenBaggins
Eye

Dafodyl plopped her things on her bed, and then rushed out into the hall. She saw the hobbits gathered around a room, and Bullroarer inside. She went up to an elf, and tapped on his waist. She felt suddenly frightened, yet joyful.

"Excuse me, sir? What’s going on in there?" She pointed in the door, but did not dare to look in.

"Oh, two of your hobbit friends-Gaddy and Daisy, I think-were caught kissing by your leader. He’s getting quite mad at that young lass." The elf shook his head and sighed, looking in the door.

Dafodyl slowly walked over next to him, and peeked in the door. Just at that moment, she saw Gaddy get down on one knee in front of Daisy. ‘My word..’ she whispered to herself.

She then heard Giles come up behind her and sigh. "I never knew Gaddy liked Daisy that much…" He smiled, and she looked at back at him. She had never realized this either.

"No, I didn’t either…" She replied. "I wonder if she will say yes?"

"Well, all we can do is wait and see. Time will tell. Soon, possibly."

She felt the sudden urge to burst out laughing and crying at the same time. She closed her eyes and bowed her head, to hide red cheeks. Dafodyl then looked to the sky, and spun around, facing Giles. She reached out her arms and hugged him tightly, but quickly let go. Her face was now dark crimson, and she turned again to face the door.

[ February 10, 2003: Message edited by: ArwenBaggins ]
Old 02-11-2003, 03:28 AM   #283
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Carl and Olo had been out walking the grounds unaware that any confrontations were happening within the Hobbits' quarters. their attention was captured by the sleds they saw being used by the Elves to haul goods around on the snow.

'We could use some of those.' said Carl, watching the Elven sleighmasters guide their horses across the snow and ice.'I wonder who we ask about gettin some to carry the grain and foodstuffs back that Bullroarer has gotten us.'

Olo shrugged his shoulders at the question. He had never been to Rivendell before and was unaware who needed to be asked about what. 'It would be nice.' he said. 'Three or four, I think, would give us enough room for most of the Hobbits to ride back, too.' He rubbed his hand along his jaw. 'I suppose we could just ask one of the Elf guides.'

'Or you could ask me directly.' came the soft voice from behind them. They had not heard him approach, so quiet were his footsteps. He smiled as they turned to him.

'Lord Elrond! We did not mean to bother you with these concerns.' Olo bowed low before him. Carl stepped forward. 'It would be helpful though if we did have a sleigh or two to carry back the gifts of food you've given us.'

Elrond laughed at the forthrightness of the Hobbit. 'I think that we coud loan the use of several sleds to you. It would require Elven drivers to take them there and back, as I do not wish to lose the horses. I will give word to the Horsemaster that you will require the sleighs. Let him know by tomorrow how many, and he will arrange for the Elven drivers.'

Carl thanked him for his generosity. And Elrond nodded his head toward him, then bade the both of them to go to the dining hall and enjoy the food and drink laid out for them. He excused himself, saying that he must attend to some business. 'Please, enjoy yourselves.' he said to them.

Carl and Olo watched him as he walked away. then turning they made their way to the dining hall. 'Nice fellow.' said Carl as they strode along. Olo smiled, shaking his head. 'He is that, indeed.'
Old 02-11-2003, 10:13 AM   #284
Calenedheliel
Animated Skeleton

Calenedheliel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Daisy looked down at Gaddy in total surprise. “Oh, my goodness” was the first thing that came out of her mouth because she was so shocked by her uncle’s entrance and outburst. She hadn’t expected Gaddy’s proposal. She stared at him in total wonderment as tears started to well up in her eyes.

Gaddy was still on his knees waiting for Daisy to answer when she realized that they had an audience. She looked around at everybody, and saw that they too were just as surprised as she was. Everybody was waiting for her to answer. She didn’t know what to say.

Mean while poor Gaddy was still down on one knee looking up at Daisy, who appeared to be in her on little world. He began to wonder if he had made a mistake in asking her. Maybe she didn’t love him the way that he loved her. Maybe she wasn’t ready yet for marriage. At any rate he was feeling a foolish waiting on one knee for her to answer, especially with the audience in the background. “Were those tears of joy or tears of sorrow because she didn’t want to hurt his feelings?” He wondered.

She looked down at Gaddy once more. She looked into his eyes and saw a young hobbit lad of great strength, honor, and pride. She also noticed the love that filled his face as he waited for her to answer. She began to picture life at home in the Shire with Gaddy. It was filled with love, happiness, and lots of little hobbit children. She felt total joy at that moment and knew what her answer was to be.

Daisy suddenly snapped back to the present and with all the love she feel replied “Yes; yes I will marry you, Mr. Gadbard Boffin. It would be an honor for me to become your wife. I love you with all of my heart and always will!”

Gaddy’s eyes went lit up as he got up and hugged Daisy one more time. “We will be so happy together just you wait and see.” He then turned around and looked at Bullroarer and said “Sir, I wish to do this in the most proper way so I will need your guidance. I want to make sure that the day we marry is the biggest and happiest day for Daisy. May I count on you for help?”

The audience that had appeared when this all began, clapped and then came in to congratulate the young couple.
Old 02-11-2003, 01:31 PM   #285
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Robin had wandered back to the room Gaddy and Daisy were in, just in time to find Gaddy go down on one knee to Daisy. The lass' mouth formed a little 'O' and she stared down at her proposer. And then she said yes.

Everyone rushed forward to congratulate them, but Robin didn't. Tears filled her eyes and she hurried away, half-running, half-walking. Why am I crying? she demanded of herself angrily as the tears slid down her cheeks. I'm happy that they're getting married and... I'm... not... jealous... I... don't... love... anyone...

Robin stepped out onto an empty balcony and looked furiously down below her, where Elves were coming and going. Her eyes strayed up to the blue sky. She stopped crying and her eyes widened in horror. "What did I say to Dinodas?" she whispered. "I don't remember... what did he say to me?"

Nothing, just that it was silly people thought you two were in love with each other, a little voice said inside her head.

And then what? And then he walked away.

Robin pounded her fists down on the railing. How could she have been so stupid? How could she have ever thought... "Thank you, Gaddy and Daisy," she breathed. "At least you made me realize the truth."

"Hullo, Robin."

The girl's heart skipped a beat. That voice was so familiar. Dinodas... Her heart began to pound wildly and the color rose to her cheeks. "Hello, Dinodas," she replied.

"I forgot to tell you something," he said, hopping up to sit on the railing. "It was before the journey, but then when Bullroarer called us for the meeting, it slipped my mind."

"What is it?"

"You know my family have never been very rich, and, well, they're poorer than ever with all this hunger going on. They can't farm because of the winter, and even if they could, they're too hungry to. So..." He turned around so he wasn't facing her. "So I've found myself a home in Bree where I'll be living three years."

"Three... years?" In vain she tried to stop the tears that threatened to come once more.

"Yes. I'll work at an inn as a server. I had to tell you first, of all our companions... well, no, I don't think I'll tell them because they wouldn't care. You're really the only close friend I have." He turned around. "Why, Robin Brandybuck, you're crying!"

"How could you leave… to Bree… for three years?" she said, sobbing. "When we - " She stopped, and blushed, putting her head down.

A strange light came into Dinodas' eyes. The same one that had been there when they had ended their tour. "When we what?" he asked gently.

"I thought you… I thought we…" She couldn't continue.

"Robin, my little Robin," said Dinodas, lifting her chin and taking both her hands in his. "I… won't go if you don't want me to."

"You'll have to go. Your parents will need you to."

"Robin… I want to say something to you… or rather, ask you something."

She looked up, her eyes shining with tears, but not tears of sorrow. He brushed one of her brown curls away from her face. "I won't make any speeches, Robin. I don't think I need to. Will you marry me?"

"Yes," she replied, her voice only a whisper. Then Dinodas took her in his arms and did what he had wanted to do for years. He kissed her. Then, hand in hand, they left the balcony together.

Robin and Daisy sat on the latter's bed together later that day, laughing. "And I can make you a beautiful wedding dress, Daisy," Robin said. "Though I'm not that wonderful a sewer."

"You did well enough on that dress you got for my birthday," Daisy replied.

"I couldn't have done it without Dinodas," she said, her eyes beginning to shine. Daisy saw.

"Robin Brandybuck, do you have a secret you're not telling me?" she asked, but the way Robin's eyes had looked when she mentioned Dinodas told Daisy everything.

Robin threw her arms around Daisy and hugged her tightly. "Oh, Daisy, I do," she laughed, drawing back once more. "I've never been so happy in my life! Dinodas and I are engaged!"

Daisy kissed Robin's cheek. "Congratulations, Robin," she said. "I'm sure we're the happiest girls in the Shire."

"No, I think we're the happiest in all of Middle-Earth."

"When will you be married?"

"Not for a few years," said Robin, and told Daisy what Dinodas had told her. "But, oh, Daisy, I could wait for a hundred years need be. I'm just so happy that I know the truth. And I have you and Gaddy to thank for that. When I saw Gaddy propose to you, and you say yes, I suddenly felt unbelievingly jealous, though I didn't know why. And then I realized, and then Dinodas came, and…"

Robin jumped off the bed and danced around the floor. "I'm so happy!" she cried.

"You've already said that!"

"Oh, but Daisy, I am! You must know how it feels."

"Of course I do, silly! I've just been engaged, as well!"

"Daisy, you're the only one who knows. Bullroarer will have the Elves hold a feast, I'd imagine, in honor of his niece's engagement, and that's when Dinodas and I will tell everyone." Robin took Daisy's hand. "When we lost our first companion, I was sure that this journey could bring nothing but evil. But do you realize it has brought us joy? If we'd never gone on this journey, you and Gaddy probably would have never met each other, and Dinodas and I wouldn't have learned to love each other."

"You're right," said Daisy.

"Now I must go!" said Robin, giving a little bow. "I don't think I could wait until this probable feast to tell Nicrabanwen. She's one of my Elf-friends here. Goodbye, and tell Gaddy the good news. But no one else, you hear me?" And she hurried out the door, her heart full of love and happiness.
Old 02-12-2003, 12:45 AM   #286
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

* Giles blushed all the way down to his toes with dazed surprise! Suddenly he became aware that he'd entirely forgotten Dafodyl's last name. That is, if he'd ever known it in the first place ... For the only time they'd ever spoken was when they were running for their lives from the trolls. *

* Giles smiled as their embrace came to an end. He caught the Hobbit lass's glance as she coyly turned. His own eyes held an expression soft and serious. *

I am sorry, Dafodyl, you are a really nice lass, and we have been through quite a lot. But my heart belongs to someone else.

* Giles bowed a low bow. Closing his eyes, he noticed he was moving, running through the halls of Rivendell. He opened his eyes again. Past white marble columns with flecks of silver, past the statue of the Star-Lady the Elves called "Elbereth," past the curious rectangular doors of maple he'd inspected, rehinged, and sanded just so, past the oak cabinets whose loose knobs he'd tightened, under comfortably-curving arches and stately domes ... Throughout all of Rivendell, Giles ran shouting one name at the top of his lungs, until it echoed and echoed. *

AUTUMN !!!

[ February 12, 2003: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 02-12-2003, 10:56 AM   #287
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

Dafodyl looked up as she heard Giles run off. With a jolt, she turned, and saw the hall empty. She cradled her head in her hands, and said softly aloud, even though she meant to be silent. "What was I thinking? Autumn! I can’t believe I did that…"

Dafodyl looked around for Giles, seeing him nowhere. She starts running, through the halls and gardens of Rivendell. Elves cast strange glances at her, but she tried to keep her eyes ahead of her, ignoring them.

She saw Giles sitting on a little bench near a secluded garden. First she thought not to approach them, but she knew she had to express herself. Dafodyl approached him silently, and sat down next to him.

"Giles. I’m sorry. I don’t know why I did that. It’s just… when I saw Daisy and Gaddy, I was overwhelmed. I couldn’t hold myself back. Will you except it as just a friend-to-friend hug? Please? I’m begging you." She put her head down, and kicked her feet around in the soft grass, waiting for a reply.

[ February 13, 2003: Message edited by: ArwenBaggins ]
Old 02-12-2003, 12:36 PM   #288
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Giles and Dafodyl and watched with quiet surprise. As a married man, with a wife and a daughter awaiting him at home, he felt curiously removed from all this emotional upheaval that was so evident among the other members of the company. Still, he couldn't leave things like this.

He hurried down the hall and up the stairwell to the small chamber where Autumn was lodged, knocking gently on the door. The lass was repacking her things into her satchel and humming a gentle tune as she worked. Branda grinned. A sensible girl! Autumn was obviously one of the few in their company who wasn't so enamored with Elves and Rivendell that she'd forgotten the real reason they were here, or the fact that they had family and kin back home in the Shire who were anxiously waiting their return.

Branda hastily explained the purpose of his visit, and what had just happened on the corridor below. Autumn smiled and headed purposefully out the door, reassuring him that she would talk to Giles. Branda couldn't help but think what a graceful presence the girl made, and that any hobbit lad would indeed be most fortunate if he was able to win her heart.

Autumn quickly slipped through the hallways and chambers looking for Giles, but the lad seemed to have disappeared. There were no loud voices ringing through the corridors, and no sign of an upset hobbit.

She finally found her way into the courtyard and, in a small niche, at the far side of Elrond's house, there was a small wooden arbor, quite intricately carved, and two wicker benches hidden underneath, perfect for a quiet talk or a secret rendezvous. In better days, there would have been great blossoms intertwined, spilling over onto anyone seated there, which would offer even greater seclusion. But now, with the harsh blasts of winter, only a few chilled stalks held firm, awaiting the arrival of warmer weather to spring to life again.

Giles was perched on one of those lonely benches, perfectly silent and looking quite miserable with his head cradled in his hands. He glanced over as Autumn approached and wasn't sure whether to be happy or to run off hastily in the other direction.

"There's something we need to straighten out between the two of us." The girl plunged ahead, with no hesitation. "I've sensed some strange things, so I think it's only fair that we talk and try to understand one another. I know you haven't raised any questions, at least not with words. Maybe it's just being here in Rivendell, feeling the magic all about us, but such things seem to be in the air and water quite naturally, and there's no escaping them."

"First, you've made this journey far more joyous for me than I ever would have dreamed. Our dancing together, the offer of your shield, and how you've kept watch on me to make sure I didn't come to harm--all that is very special."

"I like you a lot, a whole lot. But it's one thing liking, and another thing loving so much you want to spend a whole lifetime together. I guess, too, I prefer the older ways. There's no way I'd give my consent to anything, without having my intended meet my family and secure my parents' blessing. I'm very happy for Daisy, very happy indeed. But no lad is going to carry off my heart unless he can find his way to my front door back in the Shire, and see me as I am everyday, not footloose on the road, but the real me, churning butter, tending the chickens, and helping my mother with her chores."

"If you find this too hard, I'll certainly understand. But, once we make it home, the door to my parents' burrow is always open, and my whole family would very much like to have you come for supper, and get to know us better, and even taste a bit of my own cooking."

Once Autumn had her say, she looked down shyly at her toes, wondering if Giles would ever have the heart to speak with her again.

[ February 12, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 02-12-2003, 01:15 PM   #289
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

"Dinodas, do you like it here in Rivendell?" asked Robin, sitting down next to him.

"It's everything you said it would be," he replied. He didn't look at her, though. He just stared at the ground.

"What's wrong?" she asked, concern in her voice.

He sighed. "I'm anxious to get back home," he said. "Terribly anxious. When we left, my mother and father were so weak with hunger, even though they didn't show it. And Ann... she was still as young and strong as ever when we left, but she can't last forever. We need to get home with the food, Robin."

"We'll get there, all right," said Robin, taking his hand and standing up, pulling him with her. "Bullroarer knows what he's doing. I'm sure we'll be leaving very soon. But we all need our rest. We won't survive the road home in this condition. We've been attacked by wolves and Wargs, run from trolls..."

"I will not be able to rest until I know my family is safe," he interrupted. "So many hobbits starving..."

"Come on," said Robin, leading him towards the door. "I think we have a little announcement to make." Her eyes twinkled.

Dinodas groaned. "Not now, Robin!" he said. "Wait until everyone has got it through their heads that Gaddy and Daisy are engaged."

"Oh, come on, you!" she said, dragging him out the door.
Old 02-12-2003, 01:16 PM   #290
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Even now Bullroarer could hear the firm voice of the Missus. ‘Bandobras Took! I told you, you needed to think about taking some older Hobbit woman along to chaperone the girls!’ He winced at the thought of her, one hand on her ample hip and the other shaking a finger at him, just below his nose. Of course, in her opinion, any Hobbit under the age of fifty was still a youngster.

He had urged Daisy and Gaddy to leave her room and take a walk (‘And out in the open, if you don’t mind!’ he thundered at them.) ‘No more canoodling! Simple hand holding will do until we get back to the Shire.’ He shouted this out as a general proclamation to all the assembled Hobbits, and strode out of the room after them.

Red faced and talking to himself was how Olo and Carl found him. He looked very much the image of a roaring bull and they approached him warily. He turned on them, when he heard Carl clear his throat. ‘Please don’t tell me that you two have found the loves of your lives, too!’ They glanced at each other, brows furrowed, then stared at him blankly. Bullroarer sighed, and shook his head, then filled them in on the events that had transpired earlier.

‘Seems a natural course of events, don’t you think?’ commented Carl. He offered no further words on the matter seeing the thunderous look on the Took’s face. ‘We do have some news we think you’ll like.’ chimed in Olo. He detailed their conversation with Elrond and the generous offer of the Elf Lord to provide sleighs and drivers for the trip back to the Shire. ‘It will dramatically cut the time traveling back for you. And with the addition of the Elves, there should be no longer any danger to your party.’

Bullroarer took this information in with delight. Then he turned a quizzical look on his face to Olo. ‘You’re not traveling back with us, then?’

‘No, my task is done. I’ve seen you to Rivendell and the keeping of Lord Elrond. Tomorrow, I’ll travel south to meet with Volondil.’ He laughed, and clapped Bullroarer on the back. ‘I think my path will be easier than yours. I have no “couples” to worry about, only the shadow’s foul creatures. And those can easily be dispatched with a sword!’

They stood talking for a while, then Bullroarer took his leave of them and went to find Elrond.

Elrond had been pleased to accept the box of recovered Elven craftsmanship. His hands cradled gently the necklace bearing the Lily and the leaf brooch. Made by craftsmen long ages ago, they brought a soft smile to his face recalling those days long gone. Dafodyl’s find of the dagger with the Elven runes also pleased him, reminding him of gifts given to the Men of Old as tokens of their alliance.

He turned his mind to business and spoke with Bullroarer, saying that the elves did indeed have ample stores of foodstuffs to share with their neighbors to the west. Even now, Elves were loading up five sleighs and the wagon for the Hobbits. He arched his brows at Bullroarer, who seemed to have something else on his mind. ‘Was there something else you needed?’

‘I was wondering if we could move the welcoming party to this evening, if that wouldn’t be too much trouble. I have some issues which have recently drawn my attention to the fact that I need to get the group back quickly to the Shire.’ Bullroarer paused for a moment to let the Elf take in what he had asked, then plunged on. ‘It’s not that we don’t appreciate the generosity of Rivendell, it’s just that the air here is a little too . . .’ He searched for the right word. ‘. . . magical, I suppose, for us more down to earth creatures. I need to get them back to the Shire and let it breathe some common sense back into them.’

Elrond smiled, knowing full well what occurred in his realm. ‘That will be no problem, Bandobras. Tonight then, late, for that is our custom we will entertain you valiant travelers. Then, tomorrow, we will see you off.’ He called to a close by Elf to attend on him, giving him a list of instructions, then turned back to the Hobbit. ‘We will ring the bells for you so that you will know it is time to get ready. I will send Elves to escort you to the hall.’ He laughed a sparkling, joyous sound. ‘Until then, good luck to you and your “issues”!’

Lord Elrond watched as Bullroarer went to inform the Hobbits of the plans. He thought of his own daughter, Arwen. Thank Iluvatar there would be no problem there. She was an Elf. They were bound by their doom and by custom. A thought, unbidden, came to his mind. but he brushed it away as unimportant.

'No one can see all ends . . .'

[ February 12, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 02-12-2003, 03:40 PM   #291
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

* Giles Harfoot sat whittling pipe stems out of oak, and pipe bowls out of briar root wood. Some he'd present to his travelling companions as a remembrance of their shared journey, others to the Elves. 'Twas said the pipes left in Rivendell would end up as mathoms displayed behind a glass case rather than put to practical use. Thus, Giles carved swirling leafy designs into the bowls and etched his initials into the bottom, before polishing them with beeswax to bring out the beauty of the wood grain. Since carpentry came as naturally to him as soaring to an eagle, Giles had never learned to read. But a Dwarf had taught him the runes for "G" and "H" so that he could sign the works of his craftsmanship. *

* Giles looked up from his whittling as Dafodyl sat next to him. The Hobbit lass spoke with a gentle poignancy ... *

Quote:
"Giles. I’m sorry. I don’t know why I did that. It’s just… when I saw Daisy and Gaddy, I was overwhelmed. I couldn’t hold myself back. Will you accept it as just a friend-to-friend hug? Please? I’m begging you." She put her head down, and kicked her feet around in the soft grass, waiting for a reply.
* Giles set down his whittling knife and the unfinished block of thin oak onto the cool wicker bench. Relaxing, he turned and smiled softly. * Look at me, Dafodyl. I'm so grateful that you sought me out, I hope you'll now accept a hug, as a friend.

* At Dafodyl's nod, Giles embraced her quickly with a solemn warmth, then let go. * Now! * his smile lightened, * If only there were some snowballs around, I'd throw one at you! But since there aren't any, please be the first companion on this quest to accept the gift of a pipe. I'm making one for everyone. * Giles stood and bowed to present Dafodyl this offering, happy, relieved, and nearly his old self again ... as far as it was possible to be, so far away from his Hobbit hole in Starfield in the Shire. *

* Giles gave up on his pipes. For his mood took a downturn after Dafodyl left. After all, Autumn might turn him down the same way. What of his running through an Elvish palace screaming the name of a love he'd been running from until now? Of all the foolish things to do in front of Lord Elrond, Bandobras Bullroarer Took, and above all, Autumn! *

* Giles heard the sound of a ruffled dress once again sit down beside him, and it was not Dafodyl, somehow he could tell. Giles rubbed his eyes, blinked, looked up, and saw Autumn. He hardly dared breathe, for fear that she would vanish, as an Elvish vision resulting from the glass of miruvor he'd sampled. He listened to her speak through his daze. *

* When Autumn finished, Giles took her hands, took a deep breath, and replied. *

O, Miss Autumn! Rivendell is grand, but too grand for me, and too big. It's still winter here, even though we're warm and comfortable and have plenty of meats and breads, cheeses, dried fruits and wines. And it will still be winter when we return to the Shire, sleighs laden with provisions for all our friends and kin. It will ever be winter, even if the sun burst through warm enough to bring forth glorious roses, and I'll never make it home even if I'm standing in my own lane in Starfield, without you.

But spring comes with your kind invitation to get to know you and your family better. Of course I'll come! May I be worthy, and ever at your service! * Giles smiled wide with hope. *

[ February 14, 2003: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 02-13-2003, 12:08 AM   #292
Calenedheliel
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Daisy and Gaddy left her room at Bullroarer request to take a walk around Rivendell. They were hand in hand as they explored this breathtaking place. The colors were so bright and the buildings were so elegant. The ceilings inside were so high it made Daisy feel even tinier than she was. Everything seemed to be so ancient but at the same time it was ageless.

Daisy had never seen a waterfall like the ones she saw here. They seemed to be almost magical in nature. She and Gaddy felt that if they stared at them long enough the water would appear to be going up instead of down. The water was so clear it was like looking out a window after it had been cleaned.

The most amazing thing about Rivendell was the elves. They were so tall and graceful, almost feather like in their movements. They were very slender and agile. Daisy and Gaddy talked some of the eleves as they walked by and Daisy discovered that they were a very soft spoken group.

Daisy and Gaddy came to a small pool of water near the center of Rivendell. It had some seating areas around it so they found a quiet spot and sat down. They were in the public eye as her uncle had requested. There they talked about their families and how they might react to the announcement of their engagement. They also talked about they couldn’t wait to get home to the Shire to bring food to their starving families and friends.

After a while Daisy and Gaddy decided to go back to their own rooms to get ready for the big celebration later on that night and also to get some rest for they knew that it would soon be time to head home.

HOME! What a wonderful thought.
Old 02-13-2003, 12:50 AM   #293
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

Robin was in a simple blue dress for the party; it was the best she had packed. She had cleaned it, sewn up the tears, and it was looking all right, but she sighed at the thought of being dressed so shabbily amongst all the beautiful Elves.

There was a soft knock on the door. "Come in!" said Robin, as she picked up a brush to finish doing her hair. Nicrabanwen, her Elf-friend, was standing in the doorway.

"Here's your dress," she said, with no explanation, dropping something on the little table Robin was sitting at.

"My... what?"

"Your dress. You did want to wear something a little more... formal... than that, did you not?" Nicrabanwen's eyes were smiling, but her face remained expressionless.

Robin looked down at the bundle of cloth before her. It wasn't even cloth, really. It seemed to be woven of the stars, with some of the sky captured to give it the pale blue color. Robin touched it lightly, seeming almost afraid to, and then drew her hand back with another little sigh. "It's beautiful, Nicrabanwen, but... it's not the kind of thing I'd look good in. It's too... Elven for a hobbit girl like me."

"Oh!" said Nicrabanwen, in a tone that said, You'd expect a hobbit to think something foolish like that! "That, my dear girl, is just the wrapping. This is the dress." And out she pulled a green dress, made in the fashion of the hobbits, just of a lighter and more airy material.

"Oh... my... goodness," said Robin, gasping. She was not a girl who thought much about clothes, but today was a special occasion, and she wanted to look her best for the Elves... and for Dinodas. She picked up the dress and twirled around, and then, as Nicrabanwen turned, she changed from the blue dress into the new green one.

"How do I look?" she asked.

"It looks wonderful on you," said Nicrabanwen, smiling her beautiful Elven smile. Then she hurriedly left the room, seeming to glide.

Just two minutes after Nicrabanwen left, there was another knock on the door, and this time it was Dinodas there, looking very handsome indeed. "My little Robin!" he said, taking her hands in his. "Are you excited about the feast?"

"Dinodas, how do you think I look?"

The lad didn't even notice the dress. Her sparkling blue eyes reflected the starlight and moonlight streaming in through the window, there was a faint blush on her smooth cheeks, her brown hair was brushed and the curls fell about her face... she was the most beautiful girl he'd ever seen in all his life. And she's mine, he thought in wonder. I've claimed her love.

"Lovely," he said, kissing her gently.

"Don't!" she said, laughing. "Bullroarer would scold dreadfully. 'Kissing when you should be getting ready for the party!'"

"But we are ready! And anyway, he doesn't know yet. Only we know, our own little secret, with Daisy and Gaddy to share it. Robin, I'm the happiest lad ever at this moment."

"And I'm the happiest lass," she replied, kissing his cheek. "Now, shall we go down?"

"May I escort you to dinner?" he said in a formal tone, dropping her hands and giving a little bow.

"Of course, my good sir," she said. He offered her his arm, and she took it, and together they left the room and made their way to the hall for the party.
Old 02-13-2003, 04:04 AM   #294
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The hall smelled of fresh cut pine and fir boughs. Winter had lingered in Rivendell just as it did the rest of Northwestern Middle-earth, and there were few Spring flowers blooming to add their scent to the fresh, clean scent of the trees. Nieninquë - snowdrop, and yellow elanor, both winter flowers had been gathered in great bunches and graced the tables. Simbelmyne, ‘evermind’, lent its small white flowers to be laced in here and there amid the greenery.

Elrond sat at the high table with Bullroarer, on a slightly raised dais. There were a number of Elves who sat with them, one of whom was Arwen. Bullroarer found her absolutely enchanting. So lovely, that he became almost tongue tied when she spoke to him. But her gracious manner put him at ease and he managed not to stumble clumsily over his words.

The companions sat at tables near them, and elves sat among them, enjoying the rare company of the Periannath. Servers with platters of all sorts of food from meats to pastries passed among them and others filled their cups from ewers of fresh ale, wine, or sweet spice tea.

Walking about the tables were roving Elven minstrels, the beauty of their voices mingling with the notes from their flutes. The songs they sang were all in Elvish, but they conjured up lovely pictures in the minds of the smiling companions. During a lull in the music, one of the Hobbits stood up, and bowing to Lord Elrond, asked to be allowed to sing one of the songs from the Shire.

The strong, clear Hobbit voice rang out in the Hall singing of gardens, and plants, and the good rich earth. Simple Shire things. The Hobbit blushed when the song was ended, but the Elves were delighted and several of them stood to sing an answering song of rain, and sun, and the slow passing of time through the forest and the trees. For all its pleasant images, it was a melancholy song. A song of remembering from a brighter time.

The night passed quickly in singing and in pleasant conversation. Tired Hobbits drifted off to bed in the wee hours, though as they slept the Elves till sang. And in their dreams the Hobbits heard them.
Old 02-13-2003, 09:13 PM   #295
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Sting

Carl lay in bed, listening to the sounds of the Elven music. There was no denying that it was beautiful, but he longed for the sounds of the woods around the Shire. The wind soughing in the fir boughs, the chirp of birds and chatter of squirrels as they called out challenges to one another, the sound of water in a stream rolling the pebbles and rushing over boulders - these were his harmonies, his songs.

He reached out and turned up the small lamp in his room. Getting up, he packed up all his belongings and rolled up his bedroll. Securing his bow and quiver to his pack, he shouldered it and went out under the stars. They shone bright and clear on Rivendell. The Wain pointed northward, and to its left lay the way to the Shire.

He sat down, back against a winter bare tree, and pulled his cloak about him. All night he sat smoking his pipe and following the trail of stars home.
Old 02-14-2003, 03:31 AM   #296
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Bullroarer was up when the moon still stood two fingers widths above the western horizon. He passed out of the sleeping quarters and made his way to where the sleighs and wagon stood, ready to bear the Hobbits west when the sun rose. The elves had already stacked the food in crates on the sleighs and wagon. And in a small chest beneath the wagon’s seat, Arwen had placed packets of seeds for vegetables, grains, and herbs to nourish the Hobbits’ bodies and seeds for flowers to feed their fëas.

Carl had risen from his seat beneath the tree as Bullroarer passed, and he and the Took went round the wagon checking that all was secure one last time. Then the two of them went through the sleeping quarters and knocked on all the doors. ‘Up, Hobbits!’ they called in loud voices. ‘The sun is soon risen. Up! We are going home!’ sleepy eyed Hobbits threw on their clothes and came out rubbing their eyes in the now pale dawn. ‘Come,’ said Bullroarer, ‘the Elves have prepared us a breakfast. Let us eat and then be off.’

Elrond and Arwen and a host of Elves were there to bid them farewell. Bullroarer drove the wagon, and the sleighs were handled by five Elves given the task by Elrond. They were to deliver the Hobbits and the food to the Shire and then return quickly.

Soon the Hobbits were all bundled into the sleighs, amid the stacked cartons, or on top of them. The Elves called to their horses and the sleighs moved out at a smooth pace. Encouraged by their larger brethren, the Shire ponies neighed and tossed their manes and kept up the pace with them.

The trip home proved quicker than the journey east. The Hobbits were in a jolly mood and pointed out places where their adventure had taken a turn for the better or for the worse. In silence, though, they did pass the place where the Wargs had beset them and poor Celandine had been lost. Some averted their eyes all together and would not look at that awful place. And then in silence again did they pass the place where Emerald had been killed in the attack by the wild dogs. It was sobering that just a few short weeks ago they had started out as fourteen and now were twelve.

Spirits were high on the last day, though, as they passed the Bywater Pool and came soon within sight of The Green Dragon. It was early in the morning and few were about in the Inn’s yard as the sleighs and wagon went past and turned north to the Took family mansion.

Smoke was coming from the chimney and a yellow light shone from the windows as the merry blaze in the fireplace sent out its warmth and light. Breakfast was ready, they could tell by the smells, almost as if they were expected. The Missus bustled to the door and threw it open even before bullroarer could lay hand to knob. She waved them all in, holding tight to his hand, and settled them comfortably inside by the fire, as her daughters brought out great platters of food and pitchers of hot tea to set on the tables set round the room.

Bullroarer watched the Hobbits eat and drink and laugh with each other, returning so easily to their natural way. His little granddaughter toddled out from behind her mother’s skirts and climbed up on his lap, looking at him with her big brown eyes and a winsome grin on her face. He put her on his knee and gave her a pony ride. She giggled gleefully and asked for more. He obliged, and smiled up at the Missus.

He drew a contented breath and looked round the room once more. ‘Well, we’re back,’ he said.
Old 02-14-2003, 11:18 AM   #297
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

The next morning Bullroarer was up quite early as he had a number of tasks to attend to. Some were terribly sad, such as going to speak with the families of the girls who had been killed, sharing his memories with their parents and kin of the many fine things they'd done and how their sacrifice would always be remembered. It was not an easy job, and he wished that it might have turned out otherwise. But he also knew that, when you went out the door into the wild world beyond, dangers like those were always present and, without the girls' sacrifice, many more would have died from hunger in the Shire.

He set Branda and Carl in charge of distributing all the seeds and foodstuffs that the Elves had given to them. The five sleighs had been loaded with goods as well as the wagon and all the pack ponies that they'd taken on the journey. Every village was sending one or more couriers with a small wagon or cart to load up supplies. The provisions would then be taken back and passed out to whichever hobbits were in most desperate need. There should be just enough to go aroound. They would still have to tighten their belts and scrimp by many days, but at least no one should take ill or perish for lack of basic foods.

While Branda was working on organizing and handing out the food, Bullroarer went into the pen where his ponies were kept and picked out a particularly handsome bay mare, one who was heavy with foal, He arranged to have the pony delivered to Branda's wife and little girl so that it would be waiting in his yard when he arrived home after the party.

Branda had promised to stay for the festivities, but said he'd need to hurry home then. "What's the rush?" Bullroarer bellowed. You're welcome to bring your kin here. They can stay a day or two until you get things squared away with the food."

Branda turned and shook his head no, "I don't think that's a good idea. You'll need to use Carl to finish up. You see your wife was holding a letter for me from my family. I'm going to be a daddy again. My wife found out right after I left, and now she's expecting in the early spring. Granny says if I don't get back soon to tend to my family, she'll personally skin me alive."

Bullroarer shook his head and laughed, "We can't be irritating Granny. You'd best get home right quick. After all, it was Granny's sage advice that pulled us out of more than one mess. Make sure to tell her that."

"And congratulations on that baby! At least, that's one piece of news I won't worry about my wife hearing. I'm going now to speak with her about some of those personal developments we had on the trail! I expect to get an earful or two! Wish me luck."

Branda grinned and scratched his head, "I know what you mean! You can be a hero out on the road, but, back home, I'm just the fellow who catches the fish and runs around to please my women folk."

Two hours later, Bullroarer stumbled out his front door again, mumbling something unintelligible under his breath, but looking none the worse for wear. He straightened up and bellowed out to several hobbits standing near, "Everything is just fine. My dear and understanding wife is preparing a large feast for us tonight. Your families have been told, and will be coming too, at least those who are well enough to make the trip." He winked in Branda's direction.

"Feel free to put on your best clothes, or use some of the ones the Elves sent home with us." Bullroarer pointed to a trunk filled with children's clothing, which seemed to fit the hobbits just fine, except for a seam or two that needed to be loosened about the waist, even with the dirth of food in the Shire!

Several of the hobbits pitched in to help Mistress Bullroarer and her servants, so that by evening everything had been properly prepared in the great hall. Tables were laid with fresh linens, and lovely bowls of flowers set out. The hobbits had no idea how she'd magically been able to come up with those. A little space was cleared for dancing between the many tables, and several neighbors with fiddles and flutes had come over to lend their skills. But, best of all, was the food. Platters and piles of it, beyond belief. More food than many hobbits remembered in a very long time. The youngsters kept sticking their heads through the door and trying to sneak in, only Mistress Bullroarer had a large broom and kept swatting them back and telling them to wait for everyone to get here. As night fell over the village, the guests began to arrive to welcome the travellers home and thank them for all they had done.

[ February 14, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 02-14-2003, 02:52 PM   #298
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

Dafodyl stood outside of the Took residence, admiring the pipe that Giles had given her. She heard a delightful cry somewhere not far from her, but it didn’t faze her. Another cry drifts in, and she turns to see her father and brothers riding up on ponies.

"Papa! Papa!" She ran forward, almost getting trampled by the ponies. Her father jumped down, and her little brothers followed in suit.

"Oh, Dafodyl! We all missed you so! I was unsure if you would ever come back to the Shire." He embraced her, warm and joyous tears dripping down her back.

"Oh Papa! I missed you as well!" Her little brother’s grabbed onto her, and she counted them silently. One, two, three. One was missing. "Papa! Willie, Tom, and Samwell are all here… but where is Gabriel?"

Her father looked down, and she saw a few tears hit the earth. He used his shirttail to wipe them away, and then looked up at her. "Dafodyl, Gabriel is dead. He died just a few weeks after you left. He cried for you all the time, and the last words he said were, ‘Tell sissy that I hope she gets everyone food, and that I love her.’ He held on as long as he could."

Dafodyl swallowed hard, and broke down crying. Her father rubbed her dark curls, and she stood. "If that is how it is to be, so be it. He was happy before he was sick. He’s happy now." She smiled lightly, and grabbed her brother’s hand. She picked up Willie, the youngest, and bounced him onto her shoulder. "Well, come on! You have to meet Bullroarer and all of my new friends! Come on!"

She laughed, and ran toward the warm house. Her family was greeted, and they settled inside. Everyone enjoyed themselves, as other families came in. She was happy.

[ February 14, 2003: Message edited by: ArwenBaggins ]
Old 02-14-2003, 03:08 PM   #299
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Sting

Carl arrived early and alone, as usual. Bullroarer clapped him on the back and set him to helping shift the casks of drinks into position and setting up the trestle tables. It was good to be back home, he thought, where the only worry now was what should he have for dinner, not what might be having him for a meal!

Done, he sat at ease near the roaring fireplace, and tended to it now and then as he smoked a pipe and sipped the excellent hot spiced wine made by Mistress Took. He was looking forward to seeing his companions once again and to meeting their families. He smiled to himself, thinking of Gaddy and Daisy, and Robin and Dinodas, and Giles and Autumn, wondering how their families had received the news of their new ‘interests’.

‘Well, I’m sure to find out later.’ he said to himself contentedly, dipping himself another mug of mulled wine from the pot near the fire.
Old 02-14-2003, 07:35 PM   #300
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In between the tasks they had been given, Hal and Gaddy's eyes were always on the road from Bywater. Hal was sitting outside the Took household, watching Gaddy finish off what he was doing and absent-mindedly chewing a piece of grass. He heard a small giggle from around the corner and looked towards it. He saw a small hobbit-lass, just five years old, his sister, Bella. "Bella!" he cried as the small hobbit came running fast as she could towards her older brother. She jumped onto him where he sat and he hugged her close. She giggled again, "You look like a sheep chewing grass like that!" Hal smiled at her and asked her where the rest of the family were. They were waiting out front, on the road.

His mother was the first to notice him, she ran up to him and held him tight, all of his five sisters soon following suit. From what Hal could see through the many-armed hug, his father wasn't there. He became worried and asked where he was. "I'm right here Hal, use your eyes." came a familiar voice from behind him. Hal spun round and saw his father standing there, with his arm in a sling. "What did you do to your arm?" he asked "Oh it was those foul beasts-"
"What beasts?" interrupted Hal, becoming serious. "Don't listen to dad, Hal," said one of his sisters "He slipped on the ice."

"Hal! Where are you?" came Gaddy's voice from behind the house "Here!" Hal called back. Gaddy came out onto the road and saw Hal's family, he looked surprised for a moment, then regained himself "Hello Mr. Cotton, Mrs. Cotton." he said, nodding politely to each of them. "Oh yes, Gaddy." said Hal's mother, just remembering "Your family is coming soon, I don't think we left too long before them did we?"

Hal took his family inside to introduce them to Autumn and Carl and anyone else who happened to be there. Gaddy, however, remained outside waiting. It wasn't too long before he heard soft footfalls on the road, he ran a little further down the road and saw his own family. His brother recognised him immediately and ran to him. Gaddy knelt down and caught him. The next thing he knew, Gaddy was pressed in on all sides as everyone hugged him at once. They stepped back, Gaddy's mother had tears streaming down her face, as did his older sister, behind them, his father stood, his younger brother and sister were still clinging to him.

They stood like that for some time in silence, all thinking how lucky they were until Gaddy said, "Would you like to come inside?"
"Oh Gaddy!" cried his mother as she fell onto him again, "I've been so worried about you!" she let him go again and they began to walk back to the Took mansion. Gaddy's brother, Dima, asked questions upon questions, usually before the first question had been answered. First it was about the weather, then about the different places he'd been, and finally about elves. Gaddy wasn't entirely listening though, his mind was occupied with thoughts of how to break it to his family that he was engaged.

He stopped just before the front door and turned to face them all "Before we go in, there's something I need to tell you," he said, he paused a little and then continued "I'm engaged." He finished. There was a shocked silence until his mother, restraining the tears, hugged him once more. "That's wonderful news!" Said Finny, his elder sister, also hugging him. "Come on, lets go in and meet everyone." said Gaddy opening the door. "Yes," said his father, "I'd very much like to meet the young lass who's stolen my son's heart." giving Gaddy a wink.
Old 02-14-2003, 07:52 PM   #301
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

Dinodas watched everyone greet their families, and looked at the ground uncomfortably. So much hugging, so many tears... and he realized Robin was no longer at his side. He searched the crowd for her, but didn't see her. He saw a different lass, and she was sobbing.

"Ann!" he cried, and there was a cry of delight. The girl rushed forward and through her arms around him, tears running freely down her face.

"Dinodas, oh, Dinodas, my dear brother," she said. "You came back safe. I was so afraid... the moment you left, the moment I said goodbye, I was so afraid you wouldn't come back alive."

He hugged her tightly, the joy in his heart nearly hurting him, it was so great. "Where are Mother and Father?" he asked.

A shadow passed over Ann's face. "Dad's fine," she said. "But Mum is awfully sick with fever. In fact, I shouldn't be here, but she insisted I go."

"Will she be all right?"

"She'll be fine, but, Dinodas, if you hadn't come back, she wouldn't have a chance of surviving."

"We have plenty of food," he replied.

"No, no, Dinodas, not the food. Her heart would break if your were killed. My heart would break, Father's heart would break. Our family would all be dead." She began to laugh. "But we're alive because you're safe!" She turned and began to run away from him, towards the direction of their home, calling, "Father will come soon! He's watching Mum!"

Dinodas saw Robin coming towards him, crying. But she wasn't crying from joy. Concerned, he hurried over to her. "Robin, what's wrong?" he asked.

"Everyone is so happy," she sobbed, gesturing to the crowd. "They're all back with their families, the children and the fathers, the brothers and sisters... but..."

"Are your parents all right?" he asked anxiously.

"They're fine, they're fine, though they aren't here yet. See, they're coming!" She pointed to where two hobbits were running as fast as their old legs would carry them. "But Emerald's family... they won't share in this joy. And Celandine's family already grieves. She was my cousin, and the dearest to me of all my relatives, and I miss her so much now. And when Mum and Dad hear, they'll be - "

She stopped and brushed her tears away. "But, Dinodas, I am happy. I can't help but being happy. Emerald and Celandine... they're happy, and I have my mother and father, and I have... you."

Dinodas looked quickly around to make sure no one was watching, and then he kissed her quickly. You can't blame him for being extremely startled when there was a loud laugh behind him. Whirling, he found himself face to face with his father.

"All right, so Robin and I are engaged," he muttered, and then, defiantly, "Is there anything wrong with that?"

"I knew you two would be married the moment I saw you together all those years ago, when you were only kids," his father replied, then he took him in his arms. "My dear, dear, son," he said. "I'm so glad you're alive." Mr. Green couldn't stop the tears that came to his eyes, and thankfully saw that other fathers were crying, as well.

Dinodas had silent tears streaming down his cheeks. His father, his Ann, and his mother was waiting back home, the home he lived in, his home, and... his Robin. He looked sideways at her and saw her embracing her mother, and heard Mrs. Brandybuck say, "My little one, you're engaged and going to be married. How could you grow up so fast?"

As the went to the Took mansion together, Dinodas' arm around his Robin's waist, the lass said softly, "This, Dinodas, was what Emerald and Celandine died for. So there could be all these tears of joy and love, so there could be the couples happily engaged. We don't need to regret that."

He smiled gently at her. "No, my little Robin-bird, we don't."
Old 02-15-2003, 12:00 AM   #302
Calenedheliel
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Daisy left Lily in her uncle’s barn in a nice warm stall with fresh bedding and a good meal. Lily had done her job getting to Rivendell and back. She was rewarded for her for her brave service. The pony looked extremely happy to be safe at home. Daisy left the barn and went in search of her family and Gaddy.

She saw mother, father, and siblings entering her uncle’s house, so she hurried to greet them. Her mother grabbed her and almost suffocated her with hugs and kisses. “I’m so happy to see you in one piece and healthy” her mother said. “I hope that the adventurous stuff in all done with, although I’m really proud of you for helping all of the people of the Shire” she continued. Her father agreed with her mother. In the back ground she could see Gaddy approaching them. She had to think fast about what to say. “Mom and Dad, I have something that I need to tell you” Daisy said. “I have someone very special that I would like you to meet and hopefully welcome into our family.” Her parents gave her a odd look as she grabbed Gaddy’s hand and brought him together with her family.

“This is Gadbard Boffin. He and I are going to be married with your permission as soon as possible” she said. “I love him with all of my heart and hope that you too will come to love him like a son” she continued. Her parents’ mouths dropped open for just a minute. Then her father said to Gaddy “I would like to welcome you to our little family.”

The family then went to join the big party that was going on in Bullroarer’s home.
Old 02-15-2003, 02:49 PM   #303
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Bullroarer looked on with a smile at those gathered in his house. There were smiles on all their faces and their tummies were filled with good food and drink. It was wonderful to see them so relaxed and at ease among their friends and families.

Daisy and Gaddy stood near one another, talking animatedly to both their families, and the Hobbits on both sides seemed pleased that there would be a wedding between the two. Tobin and Dinodas held hands and sat talking quietly to each other, while their families looked on with smiles. Giles and Autumn, too, stood near each other - Giles entertaining Autumn’s cousin with descriptions of their adventures in an animated way.

Carl sat quietly by the fire nodding his head to those who spoke with him, a pipe in one hand and a mug of cold ale in the other. Dafodyl was there in a splendid yellow dress, the color of the Spring flower that was her namesake, and laughing merrily at some joke of Tomba’s. Even the dour Lotho had lightened a little, and stood listening to the two of them joke about.

He missed Branda, and his quiet company, and silently wished him well with his new bairn. Sighing he, he put his arm round the Missus’ ample waist, and drew her close to him. ‘It turned out well, despite all the misfortunes, and I’m glad of that.’ He gave her a quick kiss on the cheek. ‘But most of all I’m just glad to be home.’

Into the wee hours of a Long Winter’s Night, the party merrily went on. And in the morning, after a hearty breakfast, all returned home to the common, every day happenings of Hobbits in the Shire . . .