Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-18-2002, 08:34 AM   #561
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

As the morning sun climbed high in the sky, Nitir walked slowly to the home of Maura Took. She was careful to slip out without waking Bird who still dozed fitfully on her perch. By the time she arrived at the burrow, Lindo and Maura were already speaking with Ancalimon. The cloaked grey figure was explaining to Lindo about the journey and mission of the Star. He said it had been chosen to help bring hobbits to safety, not only in this age but others as well. And, if those on the ship carried out their appointed task, there would be one more sliver of light retrieved from the Silmarils which would help lead the way.

He then went on to talk of the future of Maura's people. "If all goes well," he continued, "the Orcs will be gone, and the children will be back with their own families. There will be a community to build, and children who need teaching. And there will be lore to be learned and preserved. That, also, is a good and worthy task."

"Maura has told me how you've discovered much about yourself and your people in recent months. Now you are being given a rare gift, Lindo. The gift is that of choosing. There is no right or wrong choice here, only that which feels right to you and your heart. I want you to think about this, since many of the things I've said weren't known to you before. Go and take a walk with that pony, and talk with him. Then, come let me know later today."

"And," Ancalimon looked up and winked, "I do believe that, whatever you choose, that pony has decided to come along with you."

Nitir smiled, and then spoke to Lindo before he left, "And I'm sorry. I mean Azra and I are sorry, if we had to deceive or mislead you before. But there were too many lives hanging on a thread to say anything of my friends or why we'd come."

Lindo left the house and promised to think carefully about his choice before he spoke with the peddler again.

"But we still have two to go," Ancalimon mused, as he looked over at the man and woman before him, sitting with their fingers intertwined. He stopped and gazed at Nitir for a long time. Then he shook his head and said with a smile that held both affection and sadness, "So our little Andreth is here, the hobbit who battles for her people with all the words she can muster."

"Child, I need you to keep battling with those words, not here, but back on the Lonely Star with your friends, and you, Maura, must lead your people so they can survive the long years ahead."

A single tear dropped down from Child's eye to the table below. She looked up to Ancalimon with sorrow in her voice, "This seems so hard. Is there no other way? For Lindo, you said there would be a choice. Why do we have no choice at all?"

Ancalimon shook his head, "I can not say. I do not do all the choosing, and some things exist that can not be changed. At least, they should not be changed unless you wish to bring darkness down on our heads. And I know you enough to be sure that neither of you could live with that."

Then he turned to Child, "Back when this matter of hobbits was written into the Music, it was said there could be no rescue of the land hobbits or the sea hobbits unless they themselves stepped forward and took the task on their heads. Your friend Piosenniel understood that, and the Lady Idril, and, in her own way, even your dragon Angara. That is why they left you to figure out so much on your own, to struggle with the riddles and the maps, things they might have accomplished themselves in the blink of an eyelid."

Child looked up to try one last time. "But what of Kali and Rose and Daisy? They too are hobbits. Can't they do these things?"

"No, Child," he responded softly. "For you were the only adult hobbit on the Star who was there from the beginning. Your young companions are not even in their tweens. And, in every adventure, in every choosing in which hobbits are involved, there must always be one who is older."

Child's memories of the future were slowly returning again. Much was still blurry, but the pictures of the people involved were beginning to come back. And, into her mind, crept an image of Bilbo and Frodo

"Yes, Child, that is right. Perhaps your own task is not so grand as you would like, but still it is important. For without the Star, there will be no hobbits, in this time or any other."

Maura had sat in silence throughout this entire exchange. He now asked, "But may Nitir never return here, perhaps after her task is completed?"

Ancalimon shook his head, "There has been too much pulling of the threads which hold the veil of time together. What has happened here may not happen again."

"Then," said Maura, "we will never see each other for we are not like the Elves who can sail off to the Blessed Lands after their life in Middle-earth is done. This will be a true goodbye."

Ancalimon lowered his voice and looked at Maura. He had known him so long. He had seen his grief when his wife had been murdered by the Orcs, and there had been long years of silence and pain and anger. He wished he could have said something different, offered some way for these two to find peace together. But only one way appeared to him.

"Within Arda, yes. This is goodbye," Ancalimon answered truthfully. "But Maura, after all you know and have been taught, do you not believe in that which lies beyond Arda?"

The small, grey haired hobbit sighed, "I do not know, but I hope. I hope that there is light which goes beyond memory."

Ancalimon shook his head, "And I too hope. And the three of us, you and Child and even myself, must find something in that estel which will lead us through these harsh times. For I am quite certain that, in what lies beyond memory, you two will find each other again."

The two hobbits looked at each other and nodded in acceptance. Slowly, their intertwined fingers pulled apart.

"Now, however," Anclaimon spoke. "We need to find that crazy bird of Child's to speak with, and also see if Rose brings us a report later this day. Meanwhile, Maura, I would urge you to have the hobbits pack up what belongings they have and prepare for another march. And this one will lead us outside Morogoth's curtain of time to the real world that lays beyond. Do not be alarmed if you find many more years have passed than the months you can actually remember."

Then Ancalimon hugged each of the hobbits, and promised they would see him again, though each in their own time and place. And Maura and Child went off on their own to a secret place by the river, and spoke words of comfort and grieving to each other. Both promised to be true in the days and years to come to the vision they had been given of the light. And, in token of that, they gave each other a simple chain to wear about the neck, with a single small stone set in place.

[ August 21, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 08-18-2002, 10:16 AM   #562
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The orc guards had made a kind of wall of comunities (if you could call them that) around the hobbit prison camp. Even though orcs of higher rank lived in recently built homes most only lived in tents. Though most often they didn't even use the tents.

A few hobbits were assigned to attend to the orcs. This was everyones least favorite job and therefor new hobbits were put up for the jobs all the time. So when Azra became a servant noone noticed.

Never before in her life had she been so dissiplined. Even when she had been a young child in her own home she would find ways to escape her chores. But now she struggled to stay on task not only to the things the orcs told her to do but also to her true purpose.

It was difficult. However stupid the orcs were they were not free on information. Azra expected that they weren't told very much anyway. She had almost given up when passing by a home belonging to a chief orc Azra could hear an intresting conversation. She hid out of sight and listened.

"Mountains of Dorthonion? Your mad! Do you relize how cold it will get? You won't find me there."
"Arr! Those are the Master's orders. You can take it up with him. You'd be better off just following orders."
"Easy for you. Your troops are being called to battle. Now that's what I want. The smell of blood again. All this Halfling noncence is crazy. They'd be more use to us dead."
"You will take the hobbits to the mountains. Tonight. Or you won't live to smell any blood again."

Azra was filled with both excitment and fear. She slipped away into some bushes untill she was out of sight of the orc camps then she went into an all out sprint towards the hobbit council building. Any elf or man would probably be able to outrun her, but for a hobbit it was pritty fast.
Old 08-18-2002, 12:22 PM   #563
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Tulė's small craft sped across the waters and had soon passed the mountainous regions of southwestern Hyarnustar. It skimmed up the eastern coast, hugging near the great cliffs that were the main feature of the western and southern coastline.

'A rugged, harsh looking land is this part of Andor.' commented Khelek, as the sheer cliffs flew by them, uninterrupted. 'How can we enter it from a seaward approach?'

Tulė, his hand on the tiller, skilfully navigated the rocky coastline. Keeping his keen eyes on the waters ahead, he told the elf and man that they would soon come to a much gentler area of this region. 'The two southern promontories of Hyarnustar on the southwest and Hyarrostar on the southeast shield this part of Andor from extremes of weather. It is filled with grasslands, much fertile farmland and great vineyards.'

Khelek and Mithadan watched as the sheer coastline on their left gave way gradually to sandy beach areas and then to marshes and reedy flats as they entered the place where the River Siril flowed into the sea through its many small mouths.

The swan-ship turned north and made its way up the river, past the large fishing village of Nindamos. Here in its southward course the river was slow and winding, but as they sailed north toward its source it became a little narrower and its current a little swifter.

'It will be an easy course to navigate,' said Mithadan, watching the countryside as it passed by. 'There are not too many settlements set on the river, though I have counted a number of docks from which the farmers must transport their crops downstream.'

'Yes, most of the farms and small towns are set back from the river. And much of the traffic in this area is by horse. Crop cargoes bound for the rest of Nśmenor are seasonal in nature, and are borne by the river and then the sea. We should not encounter too many large craft as we sail up or down the river. If we do, the swan-ship is small enough to slip by them should the need arise.'

For some time now, the gaze of the two companions had been held by the great mountain to the north which seemed to rise up to the heavens. The base of it sloped gently to the plains in two long ridges from their vantage point on the river. Khelek recalled the map they had seen of it, and how the base appeared as a series of five roots in a pentagram pattern which extended outward toward the five promontories of the isle. There were rolling grasslands now which edged the river's course and carpeted the land to the mountains roots as they came nearer the mountain.

The river now narrowed as it they entered the valley of Noirinan, in which lay the tombs of the Kings and Queens of Nśmenor.

'This is where the Siril rises from springs beneath the base of this great mountain, the Meneltarma.' said Tulė. 'We can go almost to the base, and from there it will be a short course on foot to the entrance of the caves which lie beneath the mountain.'

They drew the swan-ship along side the bank of the river, near a natural docking area and disembarked. A very short walk brought them to the chambers cut into the rock at the base of the mountain. These man-made chambers were where the royalty of Nśmenor were entombed, but beyond them were a series of large natural caves extending far into the interior of the mountain.

'An ideal place for holding and hiding prisoners, is it not?' asked Tulė, shining the bright light of the lantern he had brought into the caves' darkness.

[ August 18, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 08-18-2002, 12:27 PM   #564
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

As Child stood looking dazed just outside the burrow where the hobbit council met, Rose came barrelling into her. The girl was panting, her shoulders heaving up and down. She tried to spit out the words to Child describing what she had heard and seen.

"The Orcs, the Orcs," Rose gasped for air. "Some of them leave for Morgoth's wars, and only a handful will be left to guard us. They are grumbling and complaining since we are to be sent with the remaining guards on a midnight trek into the mountains of Dorthonion."

Child's mind slowly began to click into place, as she mulled over Rose's news. A midnight trek into the mountains in the middle of winter? What madness! Yet, the mountains were exactly where they needed to be.

Child embraced Rose in her arms and told her, "You have done well! This news is important for the survival of the hobbits. I will tell the council to prepare for a hard winter journey which will begin in just a few hours. And I'll take Bird along with me. I think it's time they see one who's risked her life on their behalf."

"Now, go get your things and return to the Orc camp so they'll never suspect you've slipped out. And be careful, Rose! Make sure not to get left behind when the trek begins. Spread the word quietly among the other hobbits serving there, and try to organize their departure as best you can."

"Bird has told me she expects there to be a dragon pick-up for us in the Dorthonion highlands. But, whether that pick-up is by Angara or Bird herself, she would not say. I've told her I won't leave until I'm sure the hobbits have found dry land and a decent place to start a new life."

She turned to leave when Rose called over concerned and curious, "Child, what's wrong? Were you crying before?"

Child stood frozen in her tracks. What was she to say? She could live with a life of secrets and denials. Or she could tell the truth clearly and simply to her friends on the Star. It took her only a moment to realize that a simple telling of the truth would be better. She didn't know whether or not Rose would approve, but it didn't really matter. The truth would have to do.

"Yes, Rose, I was. I care for Maura and his people very deeply. We even spoke about me remaining here with him. But we talked to Ancalimon, and that isn't possible, not now or even in the future. If Maura and I wish to see the light grow stronger, I must return to the Star and do my duty there, and he must lead his own people forward to build a new community."

Child tried to speak as calmly and quietly as possible, although her heart tugged in a different direction. She smiled at Rose, and then waved her finger admonishingly in her direction, "Get going, Rose, or you'll have a pack of wicked Orcs on your tail. Get back to their camp, and keep your ears wide open. I should see you tonight when the trek to the mountains begins."

Old 08-18-2002, 01:20 PM   #565
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Bird had learned long ago that there a blessing in being regarded as nothing but a dumb animal. No one asked for your opinion. Playing the role of a beast meant keeping your mouth shut, which allowed one the time to think about the words and actions of all others around you. You were the perfect objective observer of history.

Even when some few folk recognized you for your true self, appearance went a long way towards forgetfulness. When Bird remained silent in her jackdaw form, even those who knew her to be “human” would speak freely their innermost thoughts and feelings. The most belittling doubts and fears, the most vainglorious ambitions, would come forth.

And as the skin-changer had watched silently the story of the Halfling prisoners of Dorthonian, the parting of Maura and Niter, and the Songs of Lindo past down to another generation, a great sad question had grown in her heart. “Where had it all gone?” Why was it that the these scenes; as sad, glorious and brave as any accomplished by the other races of Middle-Earth, were lost in the mists of Time?

Which eventually lead to Bird to ponder the Gifts of Eru. She knew that to the First-Born were blessed with Immortality. And with it came the burden of Endless Knowledge. The Elf-Folk remembered all that happened to them since the beginning of Time. And if there was any doubt about When or Why, then one did not have to rely on dusty records or the fading memories of the aged. One could still go directly to the source. Of all the Races of Middle Earth, the Elves still had people who had lived through it all, and presumedly would continue to live, right through to The Very End. And then what? Bird suspected that there would be some few of their kind who would continue to live on, to continue to be witness to ages and deeds that have little to do with their own history. Elves were both blessed and cursed with being the Rememberers.

As for Men and Dwarves? Though Eru had given them the gift of “Death”, she knew that these races would battle mightily to overcome it. They would leave their mark, whether in cities of stones, crumbling records of parchment, paper, and clay, or the songs and tales drummed into the heads of each succeeding generations. Through sheer willpower and stubborness, the races of Men would also have their Rememberers.

So what gift was left to the Halflings? What do you give to the last of the Free People (and Bird had no doubt that Halflings were counted among the Free People, just as Skin-Changers were) who were created in an image so small, with no desire for glory or great ambitions? A race so small that most others saw them as little more than animals, if they saw them at all?

Forgetfulness. That was the Gift that Eru had given the Halflings. Forget all that has happened to you down through the ages. Forget the suffering and persecutions of the First Age. Forget the Choices asked of you in the Second. Forget the Wandering Years of the Third Age, the clinging to life on the edges, when you were hunted like animals and snatched whatever small piece of Arda you could find, until the deeds of the Big Folk swept you away. Forget in a pint, in a dance, in laughter, in your children, all the hardships and tears that had been borne through the Ages.

And when some few of you that are needed to step forward and play the role that the Song of Eru has cast you in, when the knowledge of the Fate of Eä too much to bear? Your reward will be Forgetfulness.

“Forget” Said Eru to the first of the Halflings that stood before Him. And they thanked him and went on their way. And Eru smiled, his Work to see.

Bird wished she could discuss these thoughts with Child, as she tucked her head under her wing to try to sleep. But she knew she would forget all these thoughts by morning.
Old 08-18-2002, 02:24 PM   #566
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Lindo went straight from Maura's burrow to where Estel was digging in the snow for last year's grass. Estel nuzzled him, smearing half-chewed grass across his cheek and neck and down his shirt, and then returned absentmindedly to pawing. There wasn't much grass left, and he was working hard to live on what there was. He needed a new field.

"Tell me, old friend, " Lindo murmured. "Is my future far away, years away, or is it just around the corner, in tomorrow?" The pony dug, and dug for grass. "I have a choice to make, and it's one I don't like the sound of, " Lindo continued. "Nitir has become a good friend; friend! she's almost like a second mother. And Azra," Lindo recalled Azra's heartfelt apology of late last night, "Azra is fast becoming a treasure to me. Perhaps they are the closest friends I have among hobbits. But-- there are the children. There are all my little crawling, hungry, squealing mouths-to-feed, that want all their six hobbit-meals a day. And there are all my Valiant Snowhobbits, and their Assistant Junior Snowhobbits. And then there are all the ones that follow them, or that will follow them as soon as they are able. Hordes of little hobbits. " Lindo sighed again.

Estel wandered a few feet further, face buried in the snow up to his ears. Lindo tagged along. "Nitir and Azra are importnat to me, " he continued. "But they don't need me. The children do. But-- do they need me to go and help them, far in the future? That I build a future for them that I can't yet see, and don't understand? And don't know how to build?"

At that moment, he heard a tune. He turned, and saw four Valiant Snow-Hobbits standing in a line, at the edge of the clearing. They were waiting for him to finish with the pony, he thought with surprise. They were practically standing at attention, and they had a bucket of water for Estel. And to pass the time, they were singing their snowfight-song.

Tears filled his eyes, which he blinked away as best he could until they froze on his eyelashes, and then he waved the Snowhobbits over. They came. Retya led them. Tocca brought the bucket to Estel, who drank gladly. Tem looked up at Lindo with wide eyes.

"Mistress Nitir was crying, " he said. "We saw her."

"She was?"

"By the stream earlier, " said Retya. "With Maura. They talked and talked. I think they like each other."

"And then she was crying more today, " piped up Tocca.

"Now, listen, " Lindo said, suddenly very serious. "It's one thing to spy on orcs and... but... look, you leave Maura and Mistress Nitir in peace. Leave them alone."

"Why?" replied Rikko, with wide eyes.

"What a hobbit and a lady talk about in private is none of your business, " Lindo replied sternly. "For heavens' sake, show some respect. Don't ever do that again." The boys gave each other uneasy glances. "Good heavens, " Lindo continued, exhasperated. "Have I been this remiss in teaching you respect and manners? I guess I have. That will have to change. You are all going to learn to respect your elders."

"But, " said Retya. Lindo scowled at him. "But then, this morning she was crying again all by herself. Maura wasn't there. And then Azra came running and spoke to Mistress Nitir, and said that we would be marching tonight. Late. To the mountains."

Lindo glanced at the others, who nodded earnestly.

"Well, then, we've got packing to do. Let's head back to the workhouse, find out what's going on, and get busy. Whatever you do, remember the seeds you've saved from the garden last year. Now spread apart far enough to just keep each other in sight, and travel fast." The bucket was now empty, and Lindo handed it to Tocca. Then he turned to the pony. "You're free to come or not, as you choose, Estel, " Lindo told him. "But whatever you do, stay away from the orcs. All right?" And then he threw his arms around Estel's neck, and buried his face in his mane. Estel stopped digging long enough to nuzzle him again, and then snorted into the snow, back after the grass.

"Let's go, " Lindo said, and he and the boys spread out and headed for the woods, back towards the Workhouse.

Chewing meditatively, Estel watched them go, ears pricked forward and swishing his tail. Suddenly, Retya reappeared and ran back towards him. "Didn't you hear what he said? We're leaving tonight. Come on, or you'll break his heart!" And with that, Retya grabbed a handful of mane, expertly swung aboard Estel, and drumming with his heels, steered the pony towards the Workhouse so expertly that one might have thought Retya rode the pony like this every day.

As Lindo and the boys travelled back towards the Workhouse, they met the rest of the Valiant Snowhobbits headed out to the field. "We tracked you, " said Ponta to Lindo. "They say we are leaving tonight. What do you want us to do?" The Assistant Junior Snowhobbits brought up the rear, panting.

"I need to get my orders from Mistress Nitir, and then we will all know what to do, " Lindo said. "I suspect that we will be packing everything that we can carry for a long, cold, hard journey." And then for some reason he smiled, and added, "But don't worry. I'll be with you. I'm not leaving my Valiant Snowhobbits, nor the little ones either. Now let's go. Spread out, Juniors to the rear, and keep a sharp watch for orcs. Go."

The Snowhobbits didn't know why he promised them this, but they would figure it out eventually, Lindo thought. He would miss Nitir and Azra.

-------------

When they got to the camp, Lindo sought out Nitir, who toldhim there would be a council soon to decide things, but that it wouldn't hurt to start packing blankets, seeds, and food. Lindo set the Snowhobbits to work gathering up the seeds and the blankets, and told Nitir he would help with whatever was needed after he spoke with Ancalimon.

Ancalimon looked up expectantly when he saw Lindo coming. Lindo game and gazed up at him, and fought back tears. "I wish you, and Nitir, and Azra, all grace and strength, and that you accomplish all of your tasks, " he said. "But I choose to remain, and be a loremaster, and teach the children to hope for your return. Nitir tells me that your name means He Who Shines Brightest. You, and your pony too, represent hope to me. And so I will teach the young hobbits to hope, and to wait."

Ancalimon nodded; Lindo's answer did not surprise him. "And speaking of ponies, " Ancalimon said, "You haven't seen my little rascal lately, have you?"

"Whether you are speaking of Estel, or Retya, the answer is yes, " Lindo smiled, "but Retya left Estel just inside the woods, where the orcs don't go. That way. I can send Retya after him, or..."

Ancalimon waved, and giving Lindo a wry look, simply whistled. Estel trotted obediently out of the woods. "He's not out from under my authority just yet, " Ancalimon said wryly.

"Of course, sir."

"Now, if you'll assist me, " Ancalimon continued, with a general wave towards a large bulky bag, "You'll find his harness in there. A pair of traces, " he continued, "are leaning against the back of the building. And if I am not mistaken, I believe I saw some old cart somewhere... back... in... ah, here it is!"

Lindo helped Ancalimon wrestle the old logging cart out of where it was stored. "How did you get Estel's harness here?"

Ancalimon looked at Lindo with bright gleaming eyes, full of mischief, from under the brim of his hat. "That pony isn't the only creature in Middle Earth who understands me and aids me, " he replied. "Now mind your business, and harness that pony, unless you want me to have Retya do it."

Lindo shot him an indignant look, and Ancalimon responded with the smallest of smiles.

[ August 18, 2002: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 08-18-2002, 03:12 PM   #567
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

It was late evening by the time the three had examined the caverns, and the area of the valley surrounding them. As the sun sank beneath the western ridge and darkness sailed over the land, they abandoned their explorations and returned to the swan-ship.

'We should spend the night here.' said Tulė, laying out some provisions he had brought for the trip - dried fruits, a small wheel of smoked cheese, a loaf of wholegrain bread, and a flask of red wine from the region to take away the chill of the evening. 'Tomorrow we can sail back to the Lonely Star, and then back to Beleriand.' A certain light shone in his eyes when he said, 'I am very much looking forward to seeing this time crystal of yours. Ancalimon has told me such a thing exists, and I would see how it works.'

'A useful thing, I must admit.' said Mithadan, settling back comfortably against the side of the ship and sipping his cup of wine. 'But a great headache also, as one is always scrambling to remember what can and cannot be done in this or that age, what is known and what is not. One age is time enough for me to get through!'

Khelek chewed thoughtfully on a dried fig. 'Not to change the subject, but I've been thinking about how we will get the hobbits from this place before the sinking. How many ships will it take to transport them do you think? And where will we get them?'

'The ships are already arranged for.' replied Tulė. 'Ancalimon has left that to me. We will only need to know how many and when.'

'Arranged for?' asked Khelek. 'With whom, from where?'

'The Teleri from Avalónė. They will aid the hobbits with their swan-ships. They will look to us to call them through the great tower there when we have need of them.'

'And how do you propose that we call this tower?' asked Mithadan, casting about his memory for an answer.

'It will have to be from Nśmenor that we contact them, through one of the Seeing-stones. But I must confess I have not found where they are placed as yet. Though I have reason to believe that one is in Andśniė, in the Tower on Oromet.'

They sat in silence for a while, taking in this information. Khelek was just about to ask how they might find whether the seeing-stone was there or not, when a splash was heard near the boat.

They stood, drawing their weapons, and looked carefully over the side of the vessel, only to be greeted by the smiling face of Levanto. 'I have just found a way into the caverns through the water.' he said excitedly. 'The river springs from deep within the mountain. It will be possible for me to get in and out of where the hobbits will be held without anyone seeing me.'

'Ah, that is good news indeed!' said Tulė. 'It will mean we can get the hobbits mobilized and prepared to depart before we actually have the ships there. That will lessen the time we must spend waiting for them to board, and so lessen our chances of being stopped or seen. I thank you Levanto for that piece of the puzzle!'

The mer-man bowed to the elf, and then began to swim downriver. 'I will meet you back at the Lonely Star tomorrow.' he called to them.

'Let us get some rest now.' suggested Tulė. 'Tomorrow we should sail back quickly to the ship and return to Beleriand. As I understand it, we must rescue your companions who are among the hobbits in Beleriand before we begin this next part of the journey.'

'Yes,' said Mithadan, wrapping himself in his cloak, his small pack a pillow, 'I am much looking forward to seeing Child and little Rose, and Bird. His last thoughts, as his head settled comfortably on the makeshift pillow, were those of a strange memory - a small black and silver, winged dragon flying against a blood red sky.

Old 08-18-2002, 03:12 PM   #568
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child stepped through the burrow door with the small jackdaw perched on her shoulder. The council was in its accustomed place. The small group of hobbits, men and women, sat cross legged about the hearth fire in the middle of the room. Each represented a particular clan or kin. Each had a clear attachment to the Harfoot, Fallohide or Stoor branches of the hobbit peoples.

Child was unusual in that respect. Her mixed Fallohide and Harfoot ancestry was atypical. It had even won her a fair measure of good natured teasing which she took without complaint. Child smiled. She remembered how many times she had lectured Maura on the advantages of having the different clans freely mix with each other in their marriages and other dealings. She had gleefully pointed out to Maura that, in the prison camp itself, such distinctions seemed to be breaking down. Hobbits in need were willing to reach out to others hobbits, whatever their clan might be. But it was Maura who'd had the last word in that argument. He said that he suspected the basic distinctions of the three clans would last for generations and, with her memories of the Third Age slowly returning, Child had to admit to herself he was right.

Today, however, conversation centered on something more serious. For Acalimon himself sat in the circle, his large form hunched over to make as compact a bundle as he could. The hobbits talked endlessly of how the community could best organize itself to survive the journey over the mountains. Most were surprised to hear the news that Child brought from Rose. They had hoped for a few days to set all in order, but it was not to be so. They planned as best they could, making sure that the strongest carried the heaviest loads of foodstuffs and supplies. Many things would have to be left behind. The emphasis would be on food to feed the community, heavy blankets and coats, herbs for healing like Child's kingsfoil plants, and, finally, with hope for the future, a supply of seeds for vegetables, fruits, and flowers which they intended to plant someday. Ancalimon had raised his eyebrows on first seeing the kingsfoil, but then laughed and said nothing more on the subject.

The peddler himself had decided to come along on the trip. Child wondered how he intended to leave Tol Fuin after things got settled. Ancalimon, however, gave no indication that this would be a problem. He told the hobbits that the war was going much better as a very large contingent from Aman was expected to take the field. While there were no guarantees in this life, it appeared hopeful that the tide would turn against Morgoth and the Orcs. At that point, the youngest hobbits who had been secretly listening to the council outside the windows of the burrow actually stood up and cheered.

Ancalimon also gave helpful suggestions as to how the elderly and infirm might best make it to the highlands. Every one of these was assigned to a strong and able bodied hobbit who would aid them along the path. A few would even begin the journey within the safe confines of Ancalimon's newly discovered cart. The pony was to be hitched to this, and set in the middle of the march to avoid close perusal by the Orcs. The peddler also showed them how to weave together branches to construct crude sleds that could be dragged along over the snow and ice, both to carry people and supplies.

The community still had too many memories of that first horrific night on the road after Gondolin. They were trying to do whatever they could to avoid reliving that nightmare.

Child also introduced the shapechanger to the council. The jackdaw steadfastly refused to change into any other form, despite the pleas of youngsters who had clambered up to stare through the windows. She did, however, fly about the small burrow and sing a song in Elvish to the astonishment of everyone present.

Then, Child sadly explained that she and Rose would be leaving to return to their own people. There were many boos and hisses at this piece of news. She also told the hobbits not to be afraid if a great flying beast should come to provide transportation within the mountains. Then Maura presented Child with a paper written out in Elvish with the name "Nitir" on it, and many fine words thanking her for her work with the children. This came from the council. They had another for Rose which Maura gave to the girl later that day.

Just as the hobbits were about to break up the meeting and go on their way with preparations, the Orc commander came ramming through the round door of the burrow. His heavy body and sneering glare chased away the youngsters who by now were perched above on the window ledges. He stood over Maura's head bellowing out his command that the entire hobbit community leave at midnight for an unknown destination. As he growled out his orders, he stood just beneath the jackdaw who sat even higher overhead. The temptation was too great. Bird let go, and a minute later the Orc was cleaning refuse off his head and cursing as he left the burrow. Outside, within the bushes, could be heard distinct titters and giggles. Child corrctly surmised these might belong to Snowhobbits.

Old 08-18-2002, 03:34 PM   #569
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

It proved an uneventful night on the river. The three travellers rose early and broke their fast with a simple meal from last night's leftovers.

Maneuvering the swan-ship in the narrow channel proved a challenge. Working together, though, they managed it well and were soon on their way, long before the sun itself had peeked over the eastern ridge.

The current was with them now, and they flew down it swiftly to the bay. Just as swiftly they made their way round the peninsula of Hyarnustar and back into the open sea beyond the Bay of Eldalondė.

Once near the Lonely Star, Tulė sent his ship sailing westward, while the three rowed back to the Star in a boat brought out by Daisy.

Veritas and Kali were waiting on deck, as well as Levanto, whom they had brought on board for the time jump.

They sailed northeast, a strong wind at their back pushing them at great speed. A day later they were in position for the jump to the First Age.

Tulė stood at the railing and faced the long, empty stretch of sea to the east. He heard the snick of the crystal as its cover engaged, and felt the wink and shimmer of time as the sunken lands resumed their positions. His grey eyes shone with delight and wonder.

'Beleriand!'

Old 08-18-2002, 07:40 PM   #570
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

The Snowhobbits all reported to Lindo after the council, and he gave them all orders, and they rounded up all the children that were able to understand them, and got everything gathered. The Snowhobbits packed and bound everything as tight and small as they could.

When the snowhobbits reassembled, Lindo picked up a long hempen tether, and waved it at them. "Does anybody know where this fine hempen tether came from?"

Retya blushed. "I do, sir. Tocca and Tem and I made it."

"Well, " Lindo said, "I wouldn't tie any ponies with it, unless I had the owner's express permission." Retya, Tocca, and Tem shot each other the uneasy glance that was becoming another trademark of the Snowhobbits (in trouble), and looked down. "However, " Lindo continued, "I do believe that Ancalimon might be able to find a good use for this finely crafted hempen tether over the next several days. He might need to tie some things onto that logging cart, and this might be just the thing. Who would like to take it to him, and offer it to him?"

Tem looked like he might burst with pride, and Lindo presented the tether to him. "Be respectful and obedient, and hurry back as soon as he is done with you." Tem ran out the door. "Follow him! " Lindo said to Retya and Tocca. They ran out after him.

Lindo set about dividing everything proportionally for the larger children. The smaller children would have enough to do just to keep up.

Mothers began to arrive looking for their babies; Lindo suddenly found it difficult to give each and every one of them up, despite knowing that there was no better place for any child than in its own mother's arms. Many of the mothers thanked him for everything he had done. But it was Larkspur's mother, Holly, that kissed him on the cheek, and smiled at him, and said, "You'll have your hands full with your Snowhobbits."

"Holly, " he said, "If you need anything, I want to be the first to know. I'll carry Larkspur whenever you need a rest. "

"All right, " she said, just to humor him, and wrapped her child well against the cold, and went out into the night.

Retya returned with Tocca and Tem, and found Lindo. "He took the tether, and told us thank you. He said he'd be cutting it into shorter lengths, " they said, a little disappointed that Ancalimon would cut up such a fine long tether. "Are you all right? What's wrong, Lindo?"

"I'll be fine, " Lindo said. "And so will you. But listen, now. Everybody. We're going to be walking a long way. And I want you to be looking around in case people need help, and whenever anybody does, I want you to help them the best you can. Old hobbits, mothers with babies, anybody that gets tired. You're young and strong, and I want you to help anybody that needs it. All right?"

They stood taller, and the Assistant Junior Snowhobbits got very wide-eyed. "And one more thing, " Lindo continued. "This journey that we are going on, to the mountains, will not be an easy one. There should be a song about it. Keep that in mind. Be brave and helpful and strong, and we'll write songs to sing at the end about the Midnight Mountain Journey."

He studied each one in turn, and saw the fire in their eyes, and looked forward to writing the song-- that is, whatever parts they had not already written by then, or needed help with. Some of his students were already beginning to compete with him in songwriting.

More and more mothers came to claim their children, and the Workhouse was emptying out. The Snowhobbits, Valiant and Juniors both, shouldered their packs and went to where the travellers were mustering. They were surprised to learn that everyone expected the Snowhobbits to travel together.

"Then we will stay near the elders and the mothers, and watch for chances to help them, " Lindo said. So it was agreed.
Old 08-18-2002, 08:04 PM   #571
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

The moon shone round and bright, and stars filled all the heavens on that mysterious night when the hobbits gathered with their captors to make the long march to the highlands. Most of the Orcs had departed for the battlefield early that afternoon. The guards who were left paraded in the front and rear of the column and paid little heed to the prisoners as long as they continued walking south.

There was a strange sense of expectency as the hobbits made their way along the icy track. Once more, just as the evening when Maura and Nitir spoke, the moonlight splashed off the ground with a thousand glittering lights. It was a night of cold and hardship, of struggling upward on slopes that were slick and steep. Yet, it was also a night of hope, and a time for belief. For everyone in that line, from the smallest to the oldest could mysteriously sense that freedom lay ahead.

Maura walked beside Child, their arms linked as they chatted and laughed. It was almost as if the whole torment of the prison camp had not happened, and tomorrow would never come. Rose and Lindo marched in tandem, keeping the Snowhobbits in line between them. Child knew that several of these boys had been orphaned by the war and the camps. But she had a strange sense that they would not lack for a father. Child looked over towards the lucky young hobbit who had decided to stay with his own people. She had a feeling he would love these orphaned lads, and make them a new home.

Now and again, when the ground was more level, someone would pick up a tune and others quickly responded. These were usually silly ditties that had to do with planting crops or drinking ale or even how a hobbit managed to outwit a troll. When they came to the rough places on the path, they would stop singing and help each other push on.

On that long trek, there were plenty of hobbit bruises and aching bodies and gashes. There were broken arms and shoulders and twisted ankles. But there was not a single hobbit who did not make it through. The only loss of life was a few Orcs who had gone ahead to check the path and tumbled into snow covered crevices. It was almost as if a strange veil of protection had been lowered down upon the hobbits' heads.

Ancalimon had elected to walk rather than riding in the pony cart. He strode along with staff in hand. Sometimes a black and white bird perched on his shoulder, leaning down to whisper secrets into his ear. He occasionally threw his head back and laughed. Child peered over and wondered what in the world Bird was saying to elicit such a jocular response.

The trek continued, hour after hour, with the path leading ever on. Noses and ears were nipped with the cold, but very few complained. The children were wrapped in warm blankets and coats to fight off the chill of the night. One time, they stopped for a short break, and Ancalimon dredged up a packet of food from his old cart. Everyone was given a piece of a strange bread called Lembas which seemed to warm them to the bottom of their toes.

Child could feel in her head the instant they pierced through Morgoth's curtain of time to come out in the real world. She had looked at Maura, and he had nodded his head acknowledging this return from the realm of the Orcs to true Arda. She had turned to him and grinned. It was another small triumph, like the hobbits' flowers or the songs.

Now and then, as they trudged through the highlands, Maura pointed to tiny signs and indicators of the one-time presence of Beren in these mountains. He told her stories how the hobbits, his own father among them, had supported Barahir in his outlaw's fight against Morgoth, and how some had even joined the lonely Beren in his resistence. He related tales of Finrod and his family, and how the hobbits had been known as true Elf-friends.

Finally, when everyone thought they could march no further, they came to the top of what appeared to be the highest peak. The Orcs grunted a command, and the entire party halted. The hobbits looked about. The sun was just breaking over the horizon, and all of Beleriand seemed to be spread out at their feet. The hobbits thought they were alone in a distant world, since there were many things they did not see or understand. Yet all about them, as they waited on that mountaintop, the forces of the Valar surged towards the north to break the power of Angband. For the balrogs and Orc legions and even the great winged dragons would fall before that assault. And the lonely banner of Earendil, triumphant against Ancaligon, would fly free in the heavens of Middle-earth for all to see and marvel.

Old 08-19-2002, 03:26 AM   #572
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

'When have we come to now?' asked Tulė, going up to the helm deck to see the crystal for himself. 'Is this the same time as when you left and came to Andor?'

Veritas shook her head 'no'. 'We are about 200 miles miles west of the Havens of the Falas, and approximately a little over a century from the Nirnaeth Arnoediad. It is the year 583 of the First Age, and were we closer to the coast line, we might see the Teleri aboard their great white swan-ships. The Host of Valinor marches east and north to Angband, and the army of Morgoth falls before them. Even now, the challenge of the trumpets of Eönwė fills the sky, and Beleriand blazes with the glory of their arms. For it is said that, "the host of the Valar were arrayed in forms, young, fair, and terrible, and the mountains rang beneath their feet."'

'We must hurry, then.' said Angara unfolding her wings. 'Soon will Eärendil, shining with a white flame, sail Vingilot north toward Angband to battle the winged dragons. And all the great birds of heaven with Thorondor as their captain will fly beside him. Before the rising of the sun, Eärendil will slay Ancalagon the Black, mightiest of the dragon host of Morgoth. And when he is cast down by the son of Tuor and Idril, his mighty body will fall upon the towers of the Thangorodrim and they will break beneath him.

The northern lands will be sundered by the fury of these mighty foe; there will be confusion and great noise, and the seas will pour in through many chasms with a great roar. And all who look upon the once familiar land in the light of the new day will find they no longer know it.'

'Will you fly then to where Child and Rose are held captive?' asked Daisy, frightened for the fate of her friends in such a terrible battle.

'Yes, I do not know if Bird will be able to bring them out. With luck, I will meet her flying back to us with them. If not, then I will bear them back, and we must leave this area quickly, lest the waves from the sinking of the lands overwhelm our ship.'

Angara launched herself eastward from off the ship's prow, growing only slightly larger as she went. It would prove unwise to draw attention to herself. She wished to face neither the Valar and their allies or the winged forces of Morgoth.

Daisy stood on the deck and wept openly as the dragon's swift form grew small finally was lost to her sight. She was frightened for all her companions, and could not bear the thought of losing any more.

Tulė put his hand on her shoulder and drew her close to console her. Draping his cloak about her, he held her near until all her tears were shed.

[ August 19, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 08-19-2002, 05:29 AM   #573
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Bird sat on the shoulder of the peddler and looked around in awe at the masses of halflings stuggling up the mountain pass.

"They sing", Bird shook her head. "After all they have been through, and all they have seen, they sing. I expect when they reach the top, they'll have a snowball battle to celebrate the occasion, while the world tumbles beneath them."

Ancalimon chuckled. It seemed at time that the old peddler was but a hobbit himself sometimes, despite his height. "It is the gift of Eru. The Gift of Forgetfulness. One of his greatest, I sometimes think."

"Perhaps," mused Bird. Since the gift of Remembering seems to have done Men little good, if Remembering past sorrows is meant to keep you from repeating them." She watched as Maura took a child from a tired mother and swung the girl up on his shoulders, much to her delight. She waved to the peddler and the bird, still not quite at their level. "I wish I could take them all with me when we leave. Hobbits in the First and Second Age just doesn't seem to fit."

"Oh, they have their roles, though it too will be hidden by the loftier tales of Elves and Men. At least until the Third Age. Would you question the wisdom of the One, Skin-Changer?" Ancalimon raised his strangely bushy eyebrows and gave a mock scowl.

"Constantly," said Bird with a shrug. "though the answers are slow in coming, if they come at all. For instance; perhaps now that he has revealed the role of the Halflings in the Song, he might be so kind as to reveal MY own role?"

Ancalimon laughed, "But it seems He already has, little changling. Else what would you be doing here?" Bird ruffled her feathers in irritation. "You know that's not what I meant." The peddler just strode along the trail in silence. "Where are they, Ancalimon? You would know. At least, I would think you would know".

Ancalimon paused, looking out over the glory of Beleriand as it was, all soon to end to make way for another Age. "The Fourth Age has begun. There are still other tales to be told. Perhaps the Southern Lands will finally reveal their role in Middle-Earth." he said quietly.

Bird looked out at the vast land below them, catching the glint of the sun on the mighty Sirion below. "Thank you." she said.

"You're quite welcome, Birdland."

[ August 19, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 08-19-2002, 07:07 AM   #574
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

ooc:That's kinda rude Mark. You know, I was never told I had to leave. That was just Child. Maybe I'll stay and bug you the rest of your miserable hobbit life! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
No, I'm joking. I want to see my made up friends again. Maybe I can pull everyone into another adventure. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Hey, Child, when you get PMed about our RP can you tell us what Elenna said?::

The journey was probably good for Rose. For one thing she could call herself Rose in her thoughts now. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] For another, she was able to discover somthing new about herself. This new discovery happened to be that SHE HATED COLD! For the first part of the journey she found it terrible when she was trying to look at what Maura had given her. During her time at the prison camp she had picked up a few words of elfish but she had trouble reading it. That was alright, she could just admire it for now. When she got back to the ship she could have Pio, no, Pio couldn't help her. She was dead.

Just then Rose relized what it would be like to go back to the ship now. There would be Daisy and Kali to great her. Along with Veritas, Khelek, and Mith. She would but it wouldn't be the same without Pio among them. For along time she cried. She pulled her hood closer around her face so that none could see.

The journey wasn't all that bad. Two things that made it better was being able to walk with Lindo. She knew what his choise was. Before now she would have argued with him. But when she saw him with the Snowhobbits she new that this was where he belonged. So being near him the remader of time they were together made her feel better.

The other thing that kept her spirits up was Ancalimon. She hadn't paid him much heed before now but as they trudged though the snow he seemed to be a beacon of light. A sign of hope. And he was so familar. Slowly, as she stared at Ancalimon's face, his floppy hat, his staff, her former memories started to come back. By the time they had stopped Rose was overcome with the urge to tell Lindo the story of the Third Age of Middle Earth. And a greater urge to tell Ancalimon to watch out for Balrogs. It was a sign that she really did have to leave. For even though she held her tounge it would be dangerous to have such information in this time.
Old 08-19-2002, 07:48 AM   #575
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

ooc: Don't worry Rose, if I'm allowed, I may "return" as one of Lindo's great-great--grandsons, or something. I've had too much fun with this rpg already... I hate to leave.

--------------------

Lindo noticed that Nitir was by herself. Azra-- Rose-- was also alone. He got up to go and say goodbye, but several curious Snowhobbits got up to follow him. He stopped them. They knew that Azra and Nitir were leaving, because they had sent spies to the council windows, but there were some things they hadn't connected yet, and some things he wanted privacy for. They reluctantly stopped, Retya looking rather downcast.

On his way to Nitir, Lindo stopped by Azra first.

He sat down with her, and met her mischievous gaze; he thought she was suddenly full of turmoil. He didn't know she was bursting to tell him a dozen things that she could not say.

He smiled at her, and said, "Azra... Rose. I don't know when you and Nitir are going to leave, so I'm going to get my goodbyes in early, if you don't mind."

Azra glared at him; she hated goodbyes; but then bowed her head, and nodded.

"I don't know where you are going, really, or what you will do. I mean, Ancalimon tried to explain it all, but it didn't make much sense at the time. But what I do know, is that someday, if all goes well, many years from now, you will be back. And so, as long as Nitir agrees, then I'll be teaching the children to tell their children, to wait for you. And to hope. I'll tell them to remember the names Rose, and Mistress Goodchild, and The Lonely Star; and when they hear those names again, to listen carefully, and follow."

Rose nodded, extremely cautiously. "You'd better check with Child. But I hope that that's okay."

Lindo nodded. "I will. And you, young lady, you listen to her too. She's wise, and she understands you, I think, more than you know. Believe it or not, she was my age once, and she was your age once too. Try and listen to everything she tells you."

Rose sighed, knowing that Lindo was right, but why did grownups have to lecture like this? Half of her wanted to give him a shove. But the other half didn't.

"And, Rose? I have no doubt that whatever obstacles you meet, you will face them head on. And I doubt that they will have a ghost of a chance against you." He leaned forward, and kissed her forehead, and smiled at her. And then he stood up to leave.

"That's all? No hug?" she said, in disbelief.

Lindo laughed out loud, and held out his arms, and she jumped up, and they shared a quick hug. All the Snowhobbits gaped, and he knew that wild gossip would fly through their ranks, at least until Rose and Nitir disappeared, and then they would understand. He gave her another kiss, this time on the cheek, and then turned to find Nitir.

She saw him coming, and waited where she sat. He knelt in front of her, and took both her hands, but this was a lot harder. All thie things he had planned to say got choked out. He struggled a bit, and then he said, "I will miss you terribly. You have been like a mother to me, and you have taught me more than you know. And-- "

She waited. And he laughed. "...thank you so much for your patience, " he finished. "I know I haven't been easy to deal with."

She smiled sadly, not ready to reply.

"I'll be writing songs about you, as soon as I can stand it, but not today. Can I tell the young ones to wait for Rose, and Mistress Goodchild, from The Lonely Star?" he continued, and waited for her answer.

She thought. "I don't know. Let me think it over, and I will let you know."

He nodded. "There's one more thing. I know when you come back, I'll be gone, and the Snowhobbits too. If you don't mind, when you come back-- could you sing one of the old lullabyes, for me, and for them?" After you sing over Maura, he thought, but didn't say it.

Nitir nodded, and quickly turned her head. Lindo kissed her hands, and got up and returned to where Retya was, and sat down beside him. Retya saw the tears in Lindo's eyes, and immediately began fending off all the other curious Snowhobbits who came over. He did a good job, and Lindo had a few good minutes to pull himself together. He would finish grieving after they were really gone.

Lindo reasoned that when Nitir and Azra left, the Snowhobbits would figure it all out, and then it would be his turn to protect them as they cried.

[ August 19, 2002: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 08-19-2002, 07:58 AM   #576
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

The hobbits sat encamped on the tallest peak of the Dorthonion highlands. They were totally by themselves. The guards had climbed down to a lower range to test out their hunting skills.

Maura looked over at Child and asked "What now?"

"I'm not certain," she said, "but I do know we should not move from this place. We should just sit and wait."

So as the Valar sped northward and Earendil's ship raised its mast to prepare for the onslaught of Ancaligon, hobbit children played games on the top of mountain peaks, and Maura related tales of the hobbits' history and lore.

Child looked over at the man, painting a portrait of him in her mind. She tried to paint with such precision and depth that it would endure even after she had left this place. He was tall and slender with a grey mop of curls and piercing grey eyes. He did not look extraordinary in any way. No one passing by on the street would have turned around a second time, or tried to speak with him. But, when he sat within that circle, and began to tell his people who they were and where they had come from, it was a different matter. His face gleemed with light, and his hands moved as he captured unseen stories seemingly out of air.

Child felt a stab of pain, and it was not simply for personal loss. For this wondrous leader of her people, whose name should have been counted with those of Bilbo or Frodo, would be lost in the depths of time. There would be none to speak of his wisdom or endurance. For even if she should return to her own age one day, Child knew there could be no writing down of this story. It was simply too dangerous. The less said about hobbit history, the better off they would all be. For all his wisdom and strength, Maura Took would be a name unknown even to his own people.

Child looked with yearning to the West, and, in her mind, offered a plea to whatever Valar might be listening, or perhaps even to Eru who lay in some mysterious realm beyond. "If his name must remain a secret from Elves and Men, if Maura can not be remembered even by his own people, then cradle his fea with tenderness. Give him life long and gentle. Let him miss me, but not too much. Not enough that his heart would despair at my absence. And, at the end of days, if something lies beyond memory, show him the wonders of a place where no Orc or Morgoth may dwell."

As the hobbits sat and waited, the sky turned from blue to pink, then to red, and finally black. On far off peaks and valleys, the rumblings of some distant conflict were clearly to be heard. The children came and buried their heads in the laps of their mothers. And Lindo sang a lullabye to quiet and calm their fears.

[ August 19, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 08-19-2002, 10:46 AM   #577
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child tugged a bit at Rose's skirt as the young girl swept by chasing one of the Snowhobbits. Rose halted for a moment and looked into Child's face. The woman's eyes held both joy and sorrow.

Then Child whispered to Rose. "Tell Lindo something for me. Tell him to let the Lonely Star pass beyond memory along with Rose and Child, but to teach the children the names of "Azra and Nitir". For these are engraved on our souls, and we will never lose them. They were a gift given by Maura on the day we decided to become part of this people. If I hear these names spoken again in some distant time, I will understand that a piece of Lindo and Maura live on within the hearts of our kin."

And Child was not sure what Mithadan would make of such a strange bargain, but her own heart, at least, was content.

[ August 20, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 08-19-2002, 01:53 PM   #578
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Several of the Snowhobbits came crowding around Child's knee begging for a story. Maura laughed and said, "It's your turn now. I've used up all my arsenal, and can't think of any more."

Child thought and thought. Many tales of the Third and Fourth Age came creeping back into her mind. Battles, Rings, Mount Doom? These would not do at all. She sorted through her images one-by-one, and then arrived at the perfect choice. She told the Snowhobbits the story of the mer-man Levanto and his hopeless love for the beautiful Elf Piosenniel. The boys loved the telling as Child made it very funny, explaining how Levanto had pursued the Elf day and night, and how she still managed to escape from his clutches.

The boys were very curious what a mer-man looked like and asked question after question. Child was happy to comply, spinning wild yarns about the daring mer-man and his exploits. When she finally came to the end of the tales, Maura came over with a puzzled face, "Is that true, Nitir? Or are you taking us on a wild chase again?" But she would only smile and not say anything more.

[ August 19, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 08-19-2002, 02:29 PM   #579
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Rose along with a few other hobbits, were exploring was little terrain they dared. They climed higher to the top of a peak. The air was this and cold though they hardly noticed. For what they saw around them made them breathless anyway.

To the south streached the land of Middle Earth. As it was in it's final days of the first age. It was a beutifull sight. It made the hobbits relize how very small they were.

More horrific things wait for them on the other sides of the mountains. As the turned to look north they could see a battle raging. As far as the eye could see armies fought for victory.

As Bird had found, hobbits forgot past troubles very easily. And Rose was not unlike other hobbits. However, forgetfull or not, she would never forget what she saw that day.
Old 08-19-2002, 03:44 PM   #580
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

A group of Snowhobbits stood loosely in a circle, with a pretty little lass in the center, laughing, and another Snowhobbit -- Tem-- outside the ring. They were singing.

Levanto, Levanto,
Silly, sorry Merman, He!
Pursuing Piosenniel
Away across the sea.

Tem dodged into the circle as the lass dodged out, and there followed a merry chase, in and out of the circle, with the Snowhobbits roughly fending Tem off, and the lass skipping and laughing and tossing her head. When Tem finally won through and threw himself onto his knees in front of the lass, she melodramatically pushed him backwards, and he collapsed onto the ground with a wail of despair, hands crossed over his (presumably shattered) heart as the group laughed and applauded. Then Tem joined the circle, and it was Tocca's turn. The lass sparkled with glee.

Lindo laughed and shook his head, wondering whether it was wise to be laughing over Levanto's heartbreak, whoever he was, and then decided he was being far too serious. But the name Piosenniel he knew.

He glanced over at Nitir, who had her hand over her mouth, giggling. He looked again, and saw that she was weeping as she giggled, tears streaming down her face. But she giggled on. Maura clearly did not know what to do.

Neither did Lindo, so he watched the game.

[ August 20, 2002: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 08-19-2002, 04:57 PM   #581
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

As soon as Rose got back from the top of the mountain she went to tell what she saw. She told Child in private first. She nodded and said. "Yes. I remember now. It's the War of Wrath. (is that right?)"

"Child?"
"What?"
"When we go back. When we go home. Will we be able to tell our tale. Can we tell the hobbits the story of thier race? It seams sad to go though all this and have no one know about it. Bird told me what she thought about hobbits forgetting, but. We aren't the only ones. The orcs forgot, the dark lords forgot, the elves. I wouldn't be suprised if the Valar themselves forgot. Are we that unimportant?"
Old 08-19-2002, 06:06 PM   #582
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

A number of the hobbits had started bonfires, and many of the adults huddled around these to stay warm. The children were still managing to keep the chill out of their bodies by wild antics and running about. The Orcs were long distant, down somewhere on the lower slopes of the mountain. From what the hobbits could see and hear, they guessed that the guards had consumed a very large quantity of ale which was the main provision they had toted along with them.

Child had finally managed to compose herself, putting the song of Levanto and Piosenniel out of her head. She had been a young girl once herself, and she knew the little ones didn't mean any harm. Better for them to remember the name Piosenniel with laughter rather than with sadness or remorse. There had been far too much of that in recent months.

Just then Child looked up and saw Rose. The girl had been exploring one of the craggy peaks that overlooked the mountain itself. Now she had a question. Child leaned over and listened. The two hobbits were careful to make certain no one else could hear them. For they had a strict duty to keep the secrets of time well hidden. Child thought about Rose's queery and struggled for an answer.

"What you say is true. The hobbits weren't the only ones to forget. Elves and Men also have few records of our history. But perhaps there's a reason for that. If the Shadow had known or guessed who we were, don't you think the quest of the Ring could have turned out differently? Perhaps the Valar do remember us and our lore, and they've kept silent so no one will suspect what they already know."

Child wondered if, even now, secrecy was needed to protect the hobbits and their part in the final battle of Arda. This is what Andreth's writings had suggested. But this thought, she kept to herself and did not share with Rose. For she knew Maura held the main ledger of Andreth in trust for his people, but had given the secret paper to Ancalimon to keep it safe from prying eyes.

Old 08-20-2002, 06:12 AM   #583
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

The "Levanto" game finaly ended with all the Snowhobbits collapsed in the snow, exhausted. Lindo sauntered over. "Tocca."

Tocca blearily looked up. Lindo motioned him over, and Tocca dragged himself up and obeyed. Tem followed, curious.

"Tocca, what do you know about Piosenniel?"

"She was really pretty. And Levanto was crazy about her. And no matter what he did, she didn't love him back, " Tocca replied.

"Well, I don't know about that, " Lindo said, "except I know that she was, indeed, beautiful. But she was something else."

Tocca waited.

"She was a valiant warrior, and a good friend of Nitir, " Lindo said, softly. "Do you remember the Lady Idril?"

Tocca and Tem nodded.

"In the day of the Invasion of Gondolin, Piosenniel bravely defended the Lady Idril. She fell in battle, that day, in Idril's house."

The boys' jaws dropped, and they glanced at each other, thinking that the new game was about to disappear from the list of things they could get away with. But Lindo continued.

"I think, " he said, "that the boys in the circle need something to sing while Levanto is trying to win Piosenniel. Don't you? Perhaps two or three more verses, about how brave and strong she was. And perhaps another verse, only to be sung respectfully at the very end of the game, about her final stand in the city of Gondolin. Sing it for the lass in the middle of the circle."

Tem and Tocca nodded very seriously, and were quietly busy together for several hours afterward. Lindo said nothing about it to Nitir, afraid that she would forbid the remembrance of Piosenniel's last day. But NItir herself had brought up her name; and if she was going to be sung about, then for Idril's sake, Lindo wanted that day remembered. Such things were too easily forgotten. Far, far too easily forgotten. As an afterthought, he warned Tocca and Tem not to sing the verses in front of anybody else for a while yet; when Nitir left, he would release them to sing it.

Old 08-20-2002, 06:49 AM   #584
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

"Levanto, Levanto,
Silly, sorry Merman, He!
Pursuing Piosenniel
Away across the sea."

Bird was so shocked by what she heard that she almost slipped back into human form. To reduce the love of Levanto for Pio to a child's game song! She hopped along the branch she was sitting on, ready to sweep down on those gamboling boys and give them a piece of her mind.

Then she stopped, remembering back to the times when she herself had felt compelled to needle the Mer-Man, and her friend, Pio, about the situation. Levanto's huge ego had almost begged to have its bubble burst in some way. And he had carried his courtship out in such a light-handed way that one never stopped to wonder just what chance he thought to have to lure the Elf-woman away from her life on land.

It brought a smile to her face, to think of those days, not so long ago, when she had witnessed the one-sided affair of Levanto and Piosenniel. And then she thought about her own silly song that she would sing of The Two Skin-Changers. What long-lost tale of thwarted desire lay behind those verses? No one really remembered, or cared. It had become a tale of all lovers. And all love lost.

Still, of all the songs of Lindo that she had heard on this journey, she decided that this was one she would not bring back to Kali.

[ August 20, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 08-20-2002, 09:45 AM   #585
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Towards evening, the Orcs came back from the lower slopes of the mountain. Child noticed the number of guards seemed to be even smaller then before. Most of them were abominably drunk, with hot tempers and reeking breath. They edged over to the side of the encampment, and fell down in snoring sleep, not even bothering to post a guard.

The hobbits also started to settle for the night. About them, the sky continued its distant rumbles and intermittant flashes of lightning. But the children and adults had somehow learned to block out this show of noise and light. They went about their business as if everything was normal.

With the midnight march and the growing hope for freedom, few of the hobbits had gotten much sleep. Now, that lack of sleep was beginning to tell. Yawning children curled up with their parents. Even the three orphan boys lay down beside Lindo. He was singing a nightime song to them. Child looked about and smiled at the scene. It had been a very long time, since the children had been allowed to stay near their parents this way.

Child walked over to the ledge and studied the distant northern skies. Tired or not, she was determined not to fall asleep, not to lose this final moment of beauty and longing. So much good and so much evil. So much joy and sorrow. She could not sort it out anymore.

She sensed a presence at her shoulder, and turned around to look into the keen eyes of Ancalimon. "Do you think it goes well?" Child asked, nodding at the horizon.

"'Well'? Nothing of this sort goes "well" , but, yes, the Valar seem to be prevailing. Though I believe Morgoth may still have a trick or two."

Child remembered the story of the great winged wyrms. She hoped Angara would not have to come get her and Rose. For that could be painful.

Then she looked up and asked, "Is Rose right? Have our people been forgotten? Does our past mean so little that it can slip beyond the minds of Elves and Men, and even from the hands of the Valar?"

Then she turned to catch a glimse of Maura as he stood talking with the other hobbits. Ancalimon watched as Child's heart fixed upon the man. And she said with aching voice, "Why must this be so?"

And the cloaked grey figure understood what Child was asking, even though she could not find the right words. Ancalimon sighed and responded, "The ways of men are one thing, but those of the Valar are another." He gently chided her, "You have spoken with Lady Nienna. Surely you glimped something of her heart to help you answer this riddle."

Child nodded. Perhaps she did not understand as much of the riddle as Ancalimon thought she should, but she had felt untold compassion pouring towards her from the Lady with the skirts edged in snowflakes.

"And the Elves?" she asked.

"You may find they remember more than they say. For a number of them have reached out to your kin. Have you forgotten the Lady Idril, and how she rescued your friends? Galadriel also holds hobbits dear. Do you think this love will be swept away as if it was a stick caught in the waters of a flood? It will be there while you are alive and far beyond."

"And Andreth, I know you grieve because you fear so many names are lost. But do you believe tales are only recorded in the books of men and hobbits? Perhaps there are other volumes you do not know. And those may preserve the true story of Arda which men and hobbits sometimes forget. And, if such a record exists, Maura will be there, as well as you and your children, even the littlest one who died in your arms."

He gently chuckled at her, "I am afraid you are too fond of words, for not all truth lies in them. There are other ways of reading and understanding the story."

"So when you return to the Star, there is something you can do for me. In fact, not just for me, but for Maura as well."

Child listened intently to hear what he would suggest.

"After your arrival, go to the cabin which belonged to your friend Piosenniel. You'll find her papers still scattered about on the table. You'll see a letter from her which lists several of her belongings and the names of those she wanted to have these things after she departed for Mandos. I think you'll find she's left you a fine book of Elvish history and a small bronze mirror. Take the mirror and gaze into it. Then, look at it, truly look at it, and tell me what you see."

Child tried to prod him with questions about this strange mirror, but he laughed and refused to say any more. When Maura heard this silliness, he came over to join in.

Ancalimon left to tend the pony, and the two hobbits sat on the ledge for several hours, with their arms entwined about each other's waist. Each spoke of their hopes and dreams. Then Maura made Nitir give a solemn promise. She promised always to remember him, but not to grieve so much that the joy would depart from her heart. And they watched the skies light up with strange colors and conflicts, and wondered how it would end.

Old 08-20-2002, 11:11 AM   #586
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

ooc: I think that even if we did tell Ancalimon about the Third Age it would made no difference. In this tale along with The LotR he seems the know everything anyways. Hm..I just thought of somthing. In LotR Gandalf tells Frodo that he thinks Gollum has a part to play. Well how would he know...unless he had some small hint. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ::
Old 08-20-2002, 02:38 PM   #587
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Ancalimon approached Estel, and found Retya with him. Tocca and Tem were asleep by Lindo, but Retya couldn't sleep. He was looking up at the sky, nervously, and taking comfort in the pony. He jumped up when he saw Ancalimon coming.

"You'll help Lindo take good care of this pony, won't you?" Ancalimon said gently.

"Yes, sir, " Retya replied. "His bucket is getting empty, sir. I can melt some more snow for him by the bonfire."

Ancalimon nodded, and Retya caught up the bucket and ran off. Ancalimon nodded to Estel, and said, "I can relax about you even more than I thought I could. Don't get fat."

Estel snorted, drenching Ancalimon, who scowled. Estel pawed for grass under the snow, and didn't find much.

Old 08-20-2002, 06:59 PM   #588
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Mithadan watched the rapidly shrinking silhouette of the dragon as she sped off towards Beleriand. He sipped at a cup of fortified wine and squinted as Angara disappeared in the distance. For a long time, he remained at the rail, absent-mindedly tracing patterns on the dark wood with a finger. Then abruptly, as if he could remain still no more, he drew out a knife and sank it deep into the railing. He shook his head and drew a hand over his eyes, then down his face until his fingers encountered the beginnings of a beard which had sprouted during his long sleep. Yanking the knife from the wood, he examined the blade as if debating whether to shave with it. At that moment, Tule came up behind him and spoke.

"You are restless, Mithadan," he said. "What ails you?"

"I would have liked to have gone with Angara," he replied. "If only to set my blade into the chests of some orcs to honour the memory of a fallen comrade. I also worry about Child and Rose and the evil that they must have suffered."

"Angara has enough to do without carrying an additional burden," laughed Tule. "And can you think of no better way to do honour to your friend than to spill blood?"

"Maybe, once time has passed, I might write something in her honour, but words fail me now. It is too soon and I still grieve at her death." He shook his head. "This does no good. I should prepare for the return of Angara, Bird and the Hobbits -- if nothing goes wrong this time. Perhaps I should prepare a meal. They would like that."

"They would," agreed Tule.

Mithadan sighed. "I always envisioned the beauty of Beleriand when I heard tales of the First Age. But now I can taste the depths of the sadness of the Noldor and I do not like the flavour. The tales will be different for me now."

"Yet the tales are great and full of valour as well as sadness," replied the Elf. "We stand at the edge of great deeds and the end of a dark evil. Look and rejoice!"

Mithadan looked up at the sky. Far above a radiant star was moving quickly towards the Northeast. As it passed, it grew brighter rather than dimmer and appeared to move lower in the sky. The Man nodded in salute to his ancestor...
Old 08-20-2002, 08:17 PM   #589
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Angara sped across the waters as the day deepened into night. No stars hung in the dark heavens as she passed, and even the moon was blotted out by the light of battle as the host of the Valar advanced on Angband.

She flew east of the River Sirion now as she gained the land, daring to increase her size and so increase her speed as well, still keeping well away from the main thrust of the Valar.

Now she passed Andram, the Long Wall, and picking up speed, crossed the plain into Doriath. Around the great forest, once the kingdom of Thingol and Melian, she turned a little more eastward and followed the course of the River Aros north to Ered Gorgoroth.

The Mountains of Terror fell away below her as she crossed into Dorthonion, and headed for the highland area.

Who flies on this dread night, alone, and toward Anfauglith? came the challenge from the skies, as a rush of wings encircled her, halting her in her path.

All were called by Thorondor to aid the Valar. Eärendel sails to meet the dragons which have beset the Host, and we would know if you mean to aid us in the battle or aid the fell wyrms of Morgoth. The great eagles pressed in close about her.

I do not mean to hinder you. spoke Angara. My intent, though, is solely for the rescue of two prisoners held by orcs here in Dorthonion. They must be brought safely out of Beleriand before this battle has seen its end.

She speaks the truth. said one of the eagles drawing near to her, and facing his companions. This is the dragon, Angara, who was late a guest of Thorondor at Cirith Thoronath. She was there when Gondolin fell, with her companions. Some of whom perished in the battle against Morgoth.

He turned to face her. You must fly hard now. The terrible light of battle grows brighter in the North. Eärendil has almost reached the western slopes of Thangorodrim, and we must leave to meet the southward thrust of the dragons as they drive against the Host of the Valar. Fare well!

'And fare well to you.' thought Angara to her self as she sped on, though her heart was heavy with the knowledge they must meet in dire battle with members of her own race, now corrupted into evil by Morgoth.

Soon she entered the high reaches of Taur-nu-Fuin, and dropping a little lower, circled the wide area until she spied a fire of some sort burning in a clearing.

She decreased her size and flew lower. It was an encampment of hobbits! Many hobbits. And by the looks of it they were all sleeping. She flew with stealth around the perimeter and saw few guards in the area. Those she did were all passed out upon the ground, their weapons in careless disarray about them.

Child! called the dragon, now the size of a kitten. Make ready! Gather Rose and Bird. I have come for you!

She perched in the boughs of a tall pine tree and waited.

-----------------------------------------

It was the middle of the night. The whole encampment had retired. Most of the women and children slept, but the men lay awake, alert and waiting for a signal from Bullroarer. Concealed at their sides were axes which had been toted along from the lowland timber range. The men had moved their bedrolls along the edge of camp, sandwiching themselves between the Orcs and their own families.
Child herself could not sleep. Too much was whirling back and forth inside. Then, in the quiet, she felt a presence within her mind. It was a familiar tug she had sensed many times before when sitting on the deck of the Star and looking out at the evening sea. Not now, she thought. Not yet! Don't let it end so soon.

But, the whispers of the dragon were soon drowned out by yet another sound, one that Child had hoped to hear for a very long time. The guards had paid scant attention to the prisoners in recent days. They had lusted for the blood of battle and drowned their anger in a torrent of ale. The Orcs lay sodden and sleeping on the ground, their swords and spears in disarray. They had not posted guards as they saw no reason to fear the docile rats under their control. Outwardly, the hobbits seemed like the same obedient creatures that the Orcs had cowed and bullied for months.

One of the Snowhobbits awoke in the middle of the night, and caught a fleeting glimpse of Estel pawing for grass near the guards. Fearing for the life of his beloved pony, the lad dashed over to that side of the hill and came crashing into one of the sleepers.

In that instant, bedlam descended on the camp. The Orc drew his spear, intending to make short work of the child. Led by the charging Bullroarer, the hobbits responded with pent up rage. For the first time in months, they could strike a blow for their families who had suffered so much and so long. Axes miraculously appeared from under cloaks and blankets.

Still groggy from the ale, the Orcs awoke fumbling for their weapons. Within less than a minute, the two sides were fighting fiercely. The Orcs had the advantage of size and sheer might, but the hobbits were adept and light-footed and more numerous. And they were seized with a fury which had known no outlet for month-after-month and murder-after-murder.

Child stared upward to the skies. Above all, she saw the figure of a winged dragon framed in green and gold. The beast bellowed in rage at the Orcs. Then, out of nowhere, the call was taken up by a second winged form, this one shining in colors of black and white. As the two sped onto the field out of nowhere, the mountain erupted into fire and smoke. Several of the hobbits hid their heads in fear.

Child peered over to the raging bands. She could vaguely make out the battling forms of Ban and Maura and Lindo. In the thick of the inferno, towering over the hobbits, Ancalimon wielded his staff and sword. Beside him was another familiar sight. For, out of that entourage, could be seen one lone maiden, her curls bound back and sword in hand. One part of Child's mind was deeply concerned for Rose's safety, while the other wondered how she had ever managed to find that sword.

The hobbits had finished off many of their captors, either with axes or by tumbling them over the cliff. At that moment, two winged beasts surged over the battlefield. They raced forward with great flames spouting out onto the retreating figures. Within a moment, not a single Ore was left alive. And every hobbit man, woman, and child stood up and cheered to see the Orcs slain and freedom won.

[ August 20, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]

[ August 21, 2002: Message edited by: Mithadan ]
Old 08-20-2002, 08:25 PM   #590
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Suddenly, in the midst of the victorious carnage, Golden Angara landed to join in the celebration. Her effect on the hobbits was immediate. Mothers screamed and grabbed for their children. The men folk re-gathered their weapons and surrounded the great Wyrm.

Niter and Azra called out frantically, trying to push their way through the confused, frightened gathering. "No! Wait!" cried Niter, "It's alright. She was fighting for you!" Some heads turned and looked at the persistant halfling as she tried to make herself heard, and since the dragon remained perfectly still and made no threat, they paused with weapons raised.

But suddenly, another dragon, black and silver descended from the skies, also calling, "Wait! Stop!" The crowd around Angara gasped in fear as it seemed that all the Wyrms of Morgoth were coming down upon them. The mass of Hobbits surged back as swords and pikes were again raised.

The black and silver dragon landed beside the gold, and rising on its hind legs, stretched its mighty claws towards the Halflings, calling "Stop!" Then suddenly, a confused look came upon the wyrm's face. Looking down at its massive form, it shrugged in embarrassment, muttered "Oh. sorry about that", and immediately began to melt.

Dead silence descended on the Halflings of Gondolin, as the golden dragon shrank to the size of a cat, and the black and silver blurred and ran, until nothing was left but a small, bedraggled woman. The only sound to be heard was Ancalimon, laughing so hard he had to lean on his staff.

Then Niter and Azra ran forward, calling "Angara! Bird!" The woman held out her arms and embraced the two hobbits, and the golden dragon wound herself around their feet.

Slowly Maura, Lindo, and the Snow Hobbits pushed their way forward. Maura suddenly burst out laughing as well. But Lindo just stood, shaking his head in wonder as one small part of Niter and Azra's secret was revealed. For one instant, he still expected to see a small black and white crow descend from a tree and try to snatch his cloak pin.

The woman looked up over the shoulders of her friends, then stood up, brushing off her skirt and slowly approaching the group. "Hullo, Maura. Lindo. I hardly feel that we have been introduced."

For the first time, Lindo noticed that the woman's coal black hair was marked at the forehead with one streak of pure white.
Old 08-20-2002, 08:39 PM   #591
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Maura spoke briefly and joyously with Bird, and then expectantly turned to watch Lindo's reaction to the shape-changer. Maura wondered if today would be a day of freedom in more ways than one.

Maura was not disappointed. Lindo stepped forward cautiously, eyeing the white streak against the raven-black hair, considering the mischief in the woman's eyes. The Snowhobbits looked back and forth from Lindo to the woman, and watched Lindo's face.

He inched towards her, fascinated and almost mesmerised. There was something about her that was wilder than a pony, as wild as a storm, as wild as the sea. She met his gaze, and in her eyes, he saw under the ocean, and above the treetops and mountaintops; he sensed the whipping, rushing wind, and the restless waves and the wide open spaces; and he saw the world as a huge, untamed place.

Her hair was a long tangle. He was close enough to touch her, and still mesmerised, he began to reach for her hair. She watched him, and decided to humor him, eyes sparkling, wondering what he would do.

But he caught himself, and stopped, his eyes still locked on her hair; and he knew that the tangles had come from battling storm after storm. No wonder her eyes were full of laughter. He wondered what it was like for her, to abandon herself to the high sunlit halls of air, or to the mysterious chasms beneath the waves, and to not care whether she combed her hair from one week to the next.

Suddenly the cold air tasted intoxicating, and the tumbling mountainsides beckoned him, pulling at his soul, and the sky was wider than it had ever been before.

She was still laughing, silently, at him, eyes full of mischief. And as he tore his eyes away from that glorious tangle of hair and returned to her smiling face, he began laughing aloud at himself.

She joined him gladly, and they had a good long laugh at his expense. Maura, also laughing, watched Lindo knowing that he would never be the same. The Snowhobbits were a bit baffled.

Angara joined in the laughter, and the Snowhobbits approached her. Feeling magnanimous, she stretched out a claw towards them, for them to marvel at, which they did. A mild puff of smoke made them step back, and then she turned and looked at Lindo.

Well met, elfling, she purred.

He replied, Thank you; thanks for what you did today, and the part you have played in all this. And-- please take good care of Nitir and Azra.

She nodded.

He returned his attention to Bird. Still marvelling at the sense of sheer freedom she had about her, Lindo lightly caught Bird's hand, and kissed it. (The Snowhobbits glanced at each other, reserving judgement til later.) Words were unnecessary, and both Lindo and Bird knew it. Bird gave Lindo another mischievous smile, and then Bird and Maura turned back to Nitir and Azra.

[ August 21, 2002: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 08-20-2002, 08:49 PM   #592
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

After the uproar and excitement had abated, Angara whispered a command into the minds of Child and Rose, "Now, come, we must go! The ship awaits us." And she grew larger one more time. But the hobbits were no longer frightened of her and crowded about with curiosity. Some of the braver children even reached out to touch her scales with their fingertips.

Bird tipped her head to acknowledge the hobbits crowding around them. Then she slid upon Angara's back. Rose ran to the dragon next with sword and pack in hand. But Child stood still, her feet planted in the snow. Then the hobbit did something she had never done before. For, mind to mind, and eye to eye, she projected back to Angara her own thoughts and feelings. "I go nowhere until I am certain that my kin stand in a dry, fertile land."

Angara arched her neck and observed the small, determined figure. She replied to Child with a tone of respect she had never accorded her before, "As you wish, Mistress Goodchilde. But please hurry, as your friends may be placed in danger."

Then all around the ground shook. Many hobbits fell, and others clutched the land in fear. Child felt as if she had slipped by mistake into Kali's dream. For it was just as he had described to Faramir so many months before. The water plummetted forward and gouged holes within the ground so that the sea rushed over the land.

The hobbits looked below, and saw rivers that grew in size, and others that plunged down, disappearing under the earth. Streams that had flowed east before, now turned around and faced west. Valleys rose up, and hills fell, and all about them, the water came rushing in. After a while, they stood alone on an island in the Sea.

The snow itself had disappeared as the warm currents cradled the land. And Child and the other hobbits could see that this island was green and would support life and growing things. And Child knew the time had come.

First, Rose said warm goodbyes to all, and went to slip onto Angara's back. Lindo came and spoke something softly to her. Rose smiled in response and kissed him on his brown curls. Then she looked towards the sky and waited for her friend.

Now it was time for Child. She waved goodbye to the children, and told them to find happiness in the small things of life. She hugged Zira and Ban and Lindo. Then she said how much she'd miss them, and how nice it had been just to know they were near. After that, Ancalimon came to her and promised they'd talk again someday.

Finally, she turned to Maura. He wrapped his arms about her, and whispered in her ear, "Do not forget, little one. Never forget our promise."

She nodded and buried her head into his shoulder. Then he said loud enough for all to hear, "Nitir, daughter of Andreth, you hold the heart of our people within your hands. I love you for who you are, and for what you go to do. And I will rememember you to the end of my days, and even beyond."

She replied, "Maura, you will never leave my heart. I love you, though we must wait till the end of time to meet again."

Then, their small bodies slid apart, and Child turned to mount the dragon. As Angara rose, the hobbit looked straight ahead. But the wind was so cold that it singed her face, and the tears would not stop streaking down as she sped back towards the Star.

Old 08-20-2002, 09:52 PM   #593
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Ancalagon the Black, mightiest of the dragon host, strove against Eärendel. But in the late of night he was overcome, and Eärendel cast him down from the sky, where he fell upon the towers of Thangorodrim, and they were broken. Then did the sun rise and the host of the Valar prevail against the armies of Morgoth. Dragons were destroyed, the pits of Morgoth broken open, and the mighty Valar descended into the deeps of the earth to subdue Morgoth.

In this great fury of battle, the regions of the northern world were torn asunder and the sea poured in through wide chasms. Rivers were lost, hills plowed under, and valleys heaved up. The waters of the Great Sea flowed up and over the now broken lands of Beleriand.

The Lonely Star began to pitch and roll on the increasingly restless sea.

Veritas and Khelek attempted to stabilize the the ship, while Mithadan and Tulė lowered and secured the sails, and battened down the hatches. Daisy and Kali had been sent below in fear that they might be swept over the side in the swelling waves.

'The waves are becoming dangerous!' shouted Veritas to her companions now on deck with her. 'We may have to shift time soon or lose the ship.'

'We cannot leave our companions to fend for themselves!' cried Mithadan against the increasing roar of the water. 'We must wait until Angara returns with them!'

'We cannot wait long, or there will be no ship at all for them to return to.' said Khelek.

'Can none of you contact Angara and tell her she must hurry?' asked Mithadan in desperation.

'It is too far for my ability.' said Khelek. Veritas shook her head 'no' - 'Too far for mine, also.'

Tulė turned toward the direction in which the dragon had flown and focused his gaze across the endless, moving waters. 'I will call her.' he said, holding tight to the helm deck railing.

Angara! You must come back and quickly! The ship is in grave danger. If we do not leave this time soon, then we will sink beneath the seas!

We come! Do not leave us! came the reply.

[ August 21, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 08-21-2002, 04:38 AM   #594
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

As they flew into the sky Rose tried to keep her eyes on Lindo as long as possible. But her vision was blury with tears and she could hardly see him at all. As soon as the hobbits were out of sight Rose buried her face in Angara's neck. She knew Child was crying too.

Though soon thier heads were lifted up by what lay around them. They watched as the land finnished it's changes and the Sun shown down from the sky. Then suddenly,

"Child! I see it. Child, look! The Lonely Star."
Old 08-21-2002, 09:01 AM   #595
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child looked groggily down to where Rose pointed. Yes, it was the Lonely Star but caught within a maelstrom of furious gusts and churning waters. For one hideous instant, as the ship swung upward on the crest of a giant wave, Child feared it would be sucked down to the ocean floor. But then it slid off at the peak and came back within the whirling waters.

At this point, Angara slammed savagely into the deck, spilling everyone from her back onto the hard wooden planks. The three riders found themselves scattered in different directions. Bird crashed into the ladder which led to the galley. She managed to lodge herself against it and wrap her arms tightly around a barrel that stood nearby. The force threw Rose clear to the other side of the vessel. Her limp body slumped perilously over the top rail. Child recalled little after that. She saw Rose and Bird lying on deck, and part of her wondered if someone on the ship would come and claim their bodies. Then she felt herself hurled in the direction of the mast. She landed with a thud. At the same moment, the ship lurched forward as if propelled to a different time and place. The last thing Child remembered thinking was that there was no turning back for she had truly left her beloved hobbits and Beleriand.

Old 08-21-2002, 09:24 AM   #596
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

'Get them below!' shouted Khelek, carrying Rose down the stairs. The ship pitched dangerously, nearly throwing her from his grip.

Tulė grabbed Child and Bird and rushed them down below. They were met by Kali and Daisy, who quickly wrapped them in warm blankets.

The elf ran back to collect the dragon, lying dazed on the deck. He gathered her in his arms and took her down to the companions below.

'Where are Veritas and Mithadan?' asked Khelek. 'Still above.' replied the elf. 'I will see to them. You stay here and keep the others safe.'

Taking the stairs two at a time, Tulė raced to where Mithadan and Veritas stood at the helm. Veritas had the crystal case open and had moved the crystal to a new position.

'Where are you taking us?' asked the elf.

'To the Fourth Age.' said the man. 'We will be safe and unnoticed in those waters until we have all recovered and are ready to proceed.'

'Stay your hand for a moment, then Veritas. Mithadan, help me get Levanto aboard before we shift times.'

Tulė called the mer-man to the side of the ship, and they hauled him up as quickly as possible by rope.

A monstrous wave washed over the ship, as the three of them clung frantically to the railing.

Then time suspended itself for a brief moment, and the ship came to rest in the calm waters of the Fourth Age.

[ August 21, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 08-21-2002, 12:42 PM   #597
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Rose woke up alone in her room on the Lonely Star. It must have been a dream. She thought. I had a dream that we went to the first age and me and Child had to rescue hobbits and Pio died and...Pio. Rose got up from her bed and rushed down the hall. She had to see. If it was just a dream. If none of it had been real. She reached Pio's room. But the only one there was Daisy sitting on her oun bed.

"Rose, your awake!" cried Daisy.
"Pio." Said Rose.
"What?"
"Pio. Where is she?" Daisy looked at her with mixed worry and pity.
"Rose, Pio is dead. She died in that battle." So it wasn't just a dream."Are you alright?"

"Yes." Said Rose, now feeling very tired. "Just alittle disoriented." She smiled. "It's good to see you Daisy. I'm going on deck to see whats happening and where we are."

ooc: You must relize that was alot of adventure for one little hobbit to take in.::

[ August 21, 2002: Message edited by: Rose Cotton ]
Old 08-21-2002, 03:51 PM   #598
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Kali looked over at Child who lay in bed under a warm blanket. The top of her head was swathed by a bandage. Daisy had clipped off a few of Child's curls to clean and tend the wound. Then she had wound a bandage around her head a number of times to make sure the gash would stay clean. Kali wondered what Child would think if she looked at herself in a mirror.

Child was a mass of bumps and bruises, but fortunately nothing had been broken. Although the hobbit was not yet awake, she shifted gently in her sleep. Her eyelids were closed, but they fluttered softly as dreams streamed by.

Kali wondered what Child's dreams might be. Bird had mentioned a few things which suggested Child might be sad when she finally awoke. Kali hoped not. He himself felt a little sad that others were going off to help him, and giving up so many things, while he stayed behind on the ship. He hoped he would be able to join in on the next rescue. But, so far, Mithadan hadn't mentioned anything about that.

At least Child's face did not look sad now. In fact, Kali thought it looked happy and peaceful. Despite the bandages and bruises, the hobbit looked prettier and more serene that Kali had ever seen her. Her face radiated a gentle light. And her skin looked soft and pink.

Kali glanced out of the small porthole to gaze at the sun which loomed high overhead. Daisy had told him Child had been hurt most severely so she needed to be watched and nursed. And Kali had volunteered for the job. If Mistress Goodchilde could spend months in a prison camp to help locate his family, the hobbrim figured he could spend a few hours helping to care for her.

Kali checked on the sun every now and then. Daisy had said he would have to awaken Child if she was still sleeping when the sun dipped down to the sea. Kali hoped he didn't have to do that. He somehow sensed that the hobbit was happier in her dreams than she might be on the ship. So, he waited and watched, and kept careful watch on her.

Old 08-21-2002, 05:43 PM   #599
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

It had been a long time since the ocean wind had played with her hair and the salty smell of the water filled her nostrills. It was relaxing. Rose hadn't spent much time on the Lonely Star, but still so many memories were attached to it.

On deck she found Veritas, Khelek, and another elf. They turned to her as she approached. "You really should rest Rose," said Veritas. "So that your wounds can heal and you can regain your streanth." only now did Rose notice that her body was bandaged were she had suffered wounds. She didn't let that bother her.

" I can rest later. What's going on? Where are we? Where are we going? And," Rose turned to the stranger. "Who are you, master elf?"
Old 08-21-2002, 05:56 PM   #600
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Tulė had rolled up the sleeves of his shirt, baring his forearms to the afternoon sun. A mild breeze ruffled his short, raven black hair as he checked the ship for any damage done during the storm. Satisfied that the only problems were cosmetic, and minor ones , at that, he went up to the helm deck to see if Veritas needed his assistance.

'So far all has checked out well, Tulė. In fact, I'm done here and was just going to relax with some wine. Care to join me?' They brought two chairs to the bow railing and placed a small crate between them as a table. Veritas poured two goblets of dark red wine and handed one to Tulė.

'To The Lonely Star!' said Tulė, raising his wine to Veritas. 'To the Star!' she said in return. The clink of goblets sealed the toast.

Tulė sipped the wine appreciatively, taking in its bouquet and savoring its flavors. 'From the land by the River Celduin, is it not?' he asked as he freshened both his and Veritas' drinks.

'Yes, one of Dorwinion's finest!' said Veritas. 'You've got to hand it to Mithadan, he didn't stint on quality when he laid in the wine for us!' She looked about the deck for the man. 'Speaking of Mithadan, where is he? I haven't seen him for a while now.'

At that moment, a savory smell wafted up from the galley area, borne on the soft sea breeze.

Tulė smiled. 'If my nose serves me right, I believe you will find him down in the galley. Making dinner for the returnees was on his agenda before the sea went on its rampage.' His stomach rumbled hungrily at the thought of food.

'I'm ravenous, too!' said Veritas, grinning. 'Let's take the last of the wine downstairs and see if he might need a taste tester or two to critique his offering.'

Veritas gathered up the bottle of wine and her goblet and went below deck. Tulė followed, bearing his own goblet and his growling stomach.