The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-11-2004, 09:55 PM   #1
Lachwen
Wight

Lachwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lachwen
Eye A fourth union of Elves and Men??

Or possibly even a fifth?

This came upon me suddenly as I was discussing the descent of Imrahil, Prince of Dol Amroth, with my mother. I was telling her about the story in the Unfinished Tales of Imrazôr the Númenórean who took the Elf Mithrellas to wife. Their son was Galador, first Prince of Dol Amroth. So my mother looked at me and said, "Wouldn't that make four unions of Elves and Men?" After all, there's only a big deal made of three: Beren and Lúthien, Tuor and Idril, and Aragorn and Arwen. Now suddenly there's this fourth one sitting there, chuckling at our discomfiture.

But this brought to mind ANOTHER union of Elves and Men that's almost never thought of: Dior and Nimloth. Dior, of course, is the son of Beren and Lúthien. Most people would assume that he's half-Elven, but Lúthien became full mortal to be with Beren, and I would assume that Dior was concieved sometime after Beren and Lúthien died and were brought back. Nimloth, however, is full Elf, being Celeborn's niece. So why the emphasis on "the three unions of Elves and Men?"

We all know that Tolkien was a whiz with words, but it would appear that he wasn't quite as strong in math...